Test Cruise Invite

@LizzyBee23 by write off you mean for taxes?  In a general sense here in the states, yes, most marketing campaigns and giveaways are done by companies for the good will and publicity they generate and can be accounted for as plain old operating expenses, marketing & promotion etc.....but in another sense, no - without entering the realm of pure speculation we do know that there are many corps and entities that exist within the behemoth that is Royal Caribbean Group and many of those are not registered in the US for tax and regulation purposes, they're in many of the banana republics and Liberia's of the world  which have very little to no taxation or regulation, so who knows what they can or can't write off exactly.

At the end of the day; a company that doesn't post any profits doesn't have to worry about paying any taxes, and for Royal....shall we say nicely, that won't be a problem this year.  There's a good post on the main page of the most recent wall street earnings call, but the past year and half they've been spending a lot of money to keep ships out there afloat and ready and are now spending even more to get them loaded full of supplies, fuel, food and provisions to say nothing of taking on full crews who also need to be paid while getting trained and ready, all of this before passengers and their dollars return.

Royal Caribbean Group reports $1.3 billion loss second quarter 2021

Ha, true. I'm just curious why they would do this again, and specifically call it a sweepstakes instead of the general call like last time. Another thought that occurred to me was that it has been a while since the last call happened... Maybe they're essentially trying to refresh the list of the willing to make sure they get a good response rate.

24 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Ha, true. I'm just curious why they would do this again, and specifically call it a sweepstakes instead of the general call like last time. Another thought that occurred to me was that it has been a while since the last call happened... Maybe they're essentially trying to refresh the list of the willing to make sure they get a good response rate.

my thought is that they did it the way they did it to be as fair as possible and to generate some pr. i'm not sure if that's 'captain obvious' worthy ?

I think that’s got to be it, this accomplishes a few simple things.  A chance to stir up the news cycle and send out the reminders that we’re seeing to the people who had already signed up.  Clearly, the previous setup wasn’t perfect and they learned from it, the past outings seemed to reward those highest in RC status, media, influencers etc.  Maybe the response rate from the average customer was way below what RC expected?  I’m sure they learned a lot from their interactions with those who both did and did not take the first test cruises.

Maybe the most notable thing about this promo to me is the short fuse on the entering/selecting - this helps narrow the field to people who are fully vaccinated and ready to go right now, today (the first  ship sails Wednesday!) and willing to go out and live as normal as possible in the world as it exists right now today (no politics but clearly many people are still not, regardless what they thought at the time of filling out the first test cruise volunteer form online).  

All that and then giving the dates and sail locations should help further target people who are reasonably likely to be able to go.  People who love RC, who are ready to travel, who have flexible work schedules or are retired, who live in Florida, greater NY area, in TX, these are big population areas.....or if not driving then ultimately those who can/will drop $500+ Per person on last minute airline tickets and/or have the miles/status to do so etc etc etc.

It's definitely a PR move. Plus I'm sure the huge majority of those that signed up over the summer never were serious about committing to what a test cruise actually meant (short term notice, CSO requirements, and the fact it's a "working" cruise, not a free vacation).

The sweepstakes is a way to get those serious (or, mostly serious) about actually going on a test cruise

19 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Losses can be carried forward for tax purposes, so even if they lose money this year the "benefit" of the loss can be carried forward as long as they craft it as marketing expense now

in the US, sure, but that's a political football type item that changes very often.  but for corps based in liberia?  or the bahamas?  my point is we don't know and it doesn't really matter because they're burning huge amounts of borrowed cash anyway and taxes are literally at the bottom of their list of concerns right now, buried down at the bottom of the deep blue sea? (I know I know, sorry)

4 hours ago, dr martini said:

in the US, sure, but that's a political football type item that changes very often.  but for corps based in liberia?  or the bahamas?  my point is we don't know and it doesn't really matter because they're burning huge amounts of borrowed cash anyway and taxes are literally at the bottom of their list of concerns right now, buried down at the bottom of the deep blue sea? (I know I know, sorry)

They have a US division (pays people based in the US at a minimum) so there are ways it will result in a writeoff .... my signature line includes CPA ... trust me they called it a promotion to open the door, somewhere in their basement is an accounting team that is paid to look for these opportunities even while everything else is going on.

13 hours ago, Matt said:

I got an invite for the Mariner test sailing.

DISCOVER A WORLD OF ADVENTURE

Your reservation onboard the Mariner of the Seas® simulation voyage has been cancelled, per your request. We appreciate your interest and hope to see you onboard soon! 

If you have any question or concerns, please contact RCGSpecialevents@rccl.com

Best Cruise Line Overall and in the Caribbean   Royal Caribbean
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
NOTICE: Prior to booking, please consult all applicable U.S. Centers for Disease Control travel advisories, warnings, or recommendations relating to cruise travel, at cdc.gov/travel/notices. If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Health and safety protocols, guest conduct rules, and regional travel restrictions vary by ship and destination, and are subject to change without notice. Due to evolving health protocols, imagery and messaging may not accurately reflect onboard and destination experiences, offerings, features, or itineraries. These may not be available during your voyage, may vary by ship and destination, and may be subject to change without notice.

Follow the registration process and ensure it is complete.Due to enhanced security measures, the registration process must be completed in its entirety to be valid. If you are bringing a guest, please ensure that you register their details. this invitation is non-transferrable. 

*Features vary by ship. ©2021 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas. All rights reserved. • 21076065
You received this message because you provided your e-mail address to Royal Caribbean. To ensure delivery to your inbox (not bulk or junk folders), please add 
royalcaribbeaninternationalsalespromotion@rccl.com to your address book. If you do not wish to receive any further communications from Royal Caribbean, please click here.

I did too. Sadly, I can't justify just two nights flying in from the Ozarks. When I registered I was hoping for the other two sailings. That's my karma. This beggar had to choose. I cannot believe I turned it down. Cannot. Believe. It.  Bright side is just 141 more days until our Oasis NYE sailing.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I saw on FB that according to some sources all of the test emails have gone out. Glad to see it was a mix of different pax this time. Even a few C&A Gold members are going. 

haven't see or heard that (and will continue to be in denial, as i'll refuse to look into it)...and obviously hope they are totally wrong ?

Congratulations to the folks that were selected in the latest sweepstakes!! I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences and signing up for the next sweepstakes.

I am guessing the next sweepstakes will be in October for Explorer and Navigator.

• Explorer of the Seas: November 7, 2021 departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Navigator of the Seas: November 19, 2021 departing from Los Angeles, California
  • Brilliance of the Seas: December 16, 2021 departing from Tampa, Florida
  • Enchantment of the Seas: December 23, 2021 departing from Baltimore, Maryland
  • Vision of the Seas: January 24, 2022 departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida

We got the email for being selected Sunday afternoon.  Awaiting next email for more information.  Think we have been selected for one of two test cruises.  Either Oasis out of NJ or Liberty from Galveston (guessing Liberty since we live in Texas).  My wife enrolled in the Sweepstakes in the first hour of it being open.  We are Diamond Plus, but I believe everyone gets same 12 chances from what i understand.  Hope we were selected for the 4 day test cruise from Galveston.  The other test cruise conflicts with us flying to Seattle for Ovation August 26th.

8 hours ago, MonkeyLaLaX2 said:

We got the email for being selected Sunday afternoon.  Awaiting next email for more information.  Think we have been selected for one of two test cruises.  Either Oasis out of NJ or Liberty from Galveston (guessing Liberty since we live in Texas).  My wife enrolled in the Sweepstakes in the first hour of it being open.  We are Diamond Plus, but I believe everyone gets same 12 chances from what i understand.  Hope we were selected for the 4 day test cruise from Galveston.  The other test cruise conflicts with us flying to Seattle for Ovation August 26th.

Congratulations!!! They have started sending the emails for the sailing out of NJ today, they just started mentioning on a group that I'm following and there is a lot of people that just got notified.

23 hours ago, Koepper said:

Congratulations to the folks that were selected in the latest sweepstakes!! I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences and signing up for the next sweepstakes.

I am guessing the next sweepstakes will be in October for Explorer and Navigator.

• Explorer of the Seas: November 7, 2021 departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico
  • Navigator of the Seas: November 19, 2021 departing from Los Angeles, California
  • Brilliance of the Seas: December 16, 2021 departing from Tampa, Florida
  • Enchantment of the Seas: December 23, 2021 departing from Baltimore, Maryland
  • Vision of the Seas: January 24, 2022 departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hmmmm we could easily do Brilliance and/or Vision. Hope they send out another “sweepstakes” email for the next batch. 

• 3 weeks later...