Smaller Ships

SteveinSC

7 hours ago, twangster said:

When Voyager class were the largest cruise ships in the world they were pretty much contained to the Caribbean.  Many places around the world grew port capacity to keep up.  Some destinations won't or can't.  Voyager class ships now can sail to a large number of destinations that was unthinkable 20 years ago.   When a port is looking to expand they are building to Oasis class standards if they can.  Twenty years from now will look a lot different than today.

Smaller destinations don't have the infrastructure to handle large volumes of day visitors.  Some don't want to be cruise ship destinations.  There will always be some smaller destinations that remain "boutique" in nature and geared for small ships.  Royal isn't trying to be everything possible across the cruise industry.  They are growing into a mass cruise line geared for destinations that can accommodate large volumes of day visitors.   

Volume is where the big money is.  Smaller lines can tailor themselves to smaller destination and still be profitable but at revenue numbers that are a fraction of where the big cruise lines are operating.  

But Royal has been servicing the smaller ports with the small ships for years in addition to the mega ships in Florida.  If for example, they were to pull out of Baltimore for example after Enchantment is sold, them those people in the Delmarva area will become Carnival cruisers and when they want a mega ship, they will go to Carnival's bigger ships.

I think Delmarva will be fine even without a Vision class ship in it.  

New York is not that far away and opens up the megas to a market that historically has cruised small.  

Now is it a bit of a hike to get to New York from Baltimore?  Without traffic about 4 hours.  Not bad, but certainly not the 20-30 minute drive I'm accustomed to.  But Delmarva has always had access to the big ships.  

They may also try to put a Radiance class ship into the Chesapeake.  Now the thing is, Radiance will fit under the bridge, the problem comes with the basin in which the cruise ship has to turn around in.  Supposedly that's not big enough, but I honestly doubt that.  

I also think Baltimore would be wise to think about their cruise port if Royal cannot fit a ship because of the basin size.   Possibly lose cruising dollars to New York?  The port of baltimore has been really tooting its horn about the size of container ships it can hold, so if it could fit a larger cruise ship, it may actually be a boon for Baltimore.  

Baltimore will never be able to hold a mega ship.  The bridge is just too low.  And raising the bridge is a crazy expensive option.  Would it be awesome to one day see Harmony of the Seas cruising into Baltimore.... sure.  But the amount of work it would take to bring an Oasis class into baltimore would be too much.

I'd think instead, once Enchantment retires, they'd bring one of the Celebrity ships into Baltimore.  Maybe one like Millennium.  

Or perhaps a new class of ship would be able to service the smaller ports.  To serve Tampa, Cuba, Baltimore, etc.  

1 hour ago, MichelleB1234 said:

But Royal has been servicing the smaller ports with the small ships for years in addition to the mega ships in Florida.  If for example, they were to pull out of Baltimore for example after Enchantment is sold, them those people in the Delmarva area will become Carnival cruisers and when they want a mega ship, they will go to Carnival's bigger ships.

Royal has small(er) ships today.  It will keep operating them until they reach that point in time when it doesn't makes sense to.  

The difference is in the future direction.  My response was a reply to the idea that idea that Royal should build some small ships.  I don't see that happening.   That's not to say Royal will walk away from the smaller ships that remain in the fleet over the next few years.

Royal pulled out of California.  Carnival brands "own" California for the moment.  That tide may change but Royal has absolutely no problem pulling out of an area when it makes more sense to place it's ships elsewhere.  That day may come for Baltimore, just not right now.  

17 hours ago, ThyriC said:

They may also try to put a Radiance class ship into the Chesapeake.  Now the thing is, Radiance will fit under the bridge, the problem comes with the basin in which the cruise ship has to turn around in.  Supposedly that's not big enough, but I honestly doubt that. 

Enchantment of the Seas (988ft) has been in Baltimore previously and will be again and it is longer than a Radiance Class ship (962 ft). 

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 12:18 PM, Zambia-Zaire said:

Totally agree with your assessment reasons why in another thread, I suggested this one option......

Build a fleet(6) of 116,000-124,000t LNG, state-of-the-art ships, to replace(sell off) the Vision Class, Majesty, & Empress; while slowly renaming the new ships by those previous, much-loved names...including pass names like Splendour, Legend, Sovereign, & Monarch, if chosing to build more than six of these smaller ships. These ships would serve the more exotic port of calls, all over the world, that only the smaller and/or older ports can receive or ports that has bridge-height restriction issues; as well as, server some of the major ports along side the mid-size to mega-size ships & easily transverse canals on trans-positioning. Of course, LNG infrastructure would need to be invested...something the cruise & cargo industry could look to, as possible joint investment efforts with local governments, in some of these areas. This may help to open up new port of calls for RCCL in South America, some parts of Africa & India regions, and Western Australia...all that are now ports of call on World Cruises by other cruise lines; as well as, create a market for smaller private islands, in some future timeframe, in some of these regions, giving RCCL more itinerary choices and building newer local clientele, of these regions. Not all ships now days, have to be mega-size...less not forget the durable smaller ships...but at least let's move beyond the days of the less-than 100,000t ships.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-ordering-smaller-ships/

Posting this article, in support, of the above...why one thing I would like to see Royal do. Spot on Norwegian. Love the mega-ships Riyal has built & am so much looking forward to the Icon Class; yet still, hope Royal dont ignore innovations toward newer smaller class of ship, LNG standards, for a minimal of 110,000 ton, for reasons Express above.

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-ordering-smaller-ships/

Posting this article, in support, of the above...why one thing I would like to see Royal do. Spot on Norwegian. Love the mega-ships Riyal has built & am so much looking forward to the Icon Class; yet still, hope Royal dont ignore innovations toward newer smaller class of ship, LNG standards, for a minimal of 110,000 ton, for reasons Express above.

The devil is in the details.  

If a 140,000 GT ship will have a guest count of a 169,000 GT ship, which is likely, then so much for small ship cruising.  

Carnival does this now.  It’s largest ships are fractionally larger than the previous generation but carry hundreds of more guests.  

More guests in the same or nearly the same space doesn’t always equate to a better experience.  

Selfishly, I would like to see RC continue to serve Baltimore.   I am 2 hours South of the port and there is a BIG difference in the trip from Baltimore to NYC for us.

Not just the miles, the traffic is awful, there are lots of tolls, and it changes our ability to get to the port on the same day.  

I love the big ships, but I'm kind of a kid. I like lots of fun new things to do at sea. I will only take my kids on an amped ship, but i prefer Oasis class. When the wife and I are cruising without kids we will do any ship especially if we are targeting ports, but I still prefer amped or Oasis. I probably represent Royal's target cruiser at this point

21 minutes ago, JasonL said:

I love the big ships, but I'm kind of a kid. I like lots of fun new things to do at sea. I will only take my kids on an amped ship, but i prefer Oasis class. When the wife and I are cruising without kids we will do any ship especially if we are targeting ports, but I still prefer amped or Oasis. I probably represent Royal's target cruiser at this point

Me too. I will take my kids and family to Amped ship or Oasis class/Quantum class only.