arabucki

Cruise this weekend from Miami to Nassau & Perfect Day at Coco Cay - HURRICANE DORIAN

26 minutes ago, CruisingFan305 said:

Just got this. We are on Navigator sailing Friday. 

C17F5202-475A-417A-84DE-6601F6607DDE.jpeg

Got the same Email.. I have a feeling we will just be having a Sea Day.. 

Royal Caribbean sent an update by Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet, letting passengers with stops at Coco Cay that due to Dorian the island will be closing as of today afternoon until Sept. 4th.. Just a heads up for anyone  going on these dates!

coco cay 2.jpg

Are the people that are on cruises leaving Aug 30th actually getting emails from Royal Caribbean?  I'm supposed to leave on a cruise this Friday and haven't gotten one email from Royal Caribbean saying anything.  I didn't even get an email about them closing CocoCay.  Did you guys???  At this point, personally, I hope they just give us an option to cancel and get our money back, sooner than later.  I need to cancel my flight by tomorrow morning at 7:00am....

7 minutes ago, arabucki said:

Are the people that are on cruises leaving Aug 30th actually getting emails from Royal Caribbean?  I'm supposed to leave on a cruise this Friday and haven't gotten one email from Royal Caribbean saying anything.  I didn't even get an email about them closing CocoCay.  Did you guys???  At this point, personally, I hope they just give us an option to cancel and get our money back, sooner than later.  I need to cancel my flight by tomorrow morning at 7:00am....

I received the above email about CocoCay closing and many of my cruising group did as well.  

Royal held internal meetings this morning to discuss options.  I imagine at this point some decisions have been made or will be shortly and they will begin communicating changes and options to the call center agents so they can be prepared when guest start calling in.  They've indicated we should expect a 3pm ET update today, just over two hours from now.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:55 PM, twangster said:

It's too early to know.  Right now the projected track is changing which is quite normal for a tropical system.  

If the forecast for it becoming a tropical depression holds true, they likely won't cancel.  A depression is typically just heavy rain with some wind.  Strong thunderstorms all summer long produce tropical depression like conditions so there would be no reason to cancel the cruise because of some heavy rain for a few hours.

I’m in navegator of the sea and our trip to coco cay was Cancel due to hurricane today 8/28/19 and the only thing they offer us was 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise but I have family coming from another country they will not have the chance to use that credit. If you can cancel cancel now because they just told us they will open coco cay  9/7/19 so we pay all this money to go to coco cay and we lost it and we just sit out in the ocean with not pool because is not working my kids are going crazy because it’s nothing to do. Call them and inquire about your trip to coco cay. 

20 minutes ago, arabucki said:

I am on Mariner on Friday and did not receive the CocoCay letter, or anything else.

Big update supposed to be coming by 3pm Eastern today.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I am on Mariner on Friday and did not receive the CocoCay letter, or anything else.

Big update supposed to be coming by 3pm Eastern today.

Coco cay it’s cancel until 9/7/19 because of hurricane I’m on navigator of the sea and was supposed to be on coco cay today and the cancel it and only offer us 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise it’s sucks because we pay a lot of money to be at coco cay and we are stuck in the middle of the ocean doing nothing. The main attraction was cancel and we didn’t get nothing on return. If you can cancel and get a refund do it now. 

21 minutes ago, Henry said:

I’m in navegator of the sea and our trip to coco cay was Cancel due to hurricane today 8/28/19 and the only thing they offer us was 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise but I have family coming from another country they will not have the chance to use that credit. If you can cancel cancel now because they just told us they will open coco cay  9/7/19 so we pay all this money to go to coco cay and we lost it and we just sit out in the ocean with not pool because is not working my kids are going crazy because it’s nothing to do. Call them and inquire about your trip to coco cay. 

Royal can't control the weather and a 25% FCC is very generous considering this isn't their fault and they are not obligated to provide any compensation when mother nature turns ugly.

I for one still plan on boarding on Friday and will enjoy whatever destination we end up sailing to.  I'll be on a cruise with like minded friends who all plan to cruise as long as they will let us get on the ship.    

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue. I’m monitoring this storm way before we sail and I leave in miami I knew we were on the path of the hurricane with a lot anticipation so royal Caribbean knew too. And yes it’s not enough because I pay premium and a lot of money just to go to coco cay. I could get another cruise for half of what I pay if I want just be on the ship and do nothing.  But hope you enjoy your vacation. And if they cancel it and don’t give nothing back you should be ok and graceful to royal Caribbean for your amazing vacation. 

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue. I’m monitoring this storm way before we sail and I leave in miami I knew we were on the path of the hurricane with a lot anticipation so royal Caribbean knew too. And yes it’s not enough because I pay premium and a lot of money just to go to coco cay. I could get another cruise for half of what I pay if I want just be on the ship and do nothing.  But hope you enjoy your vacation. And if they cancel it and don’t give nothing back you should be ok and graceful to royal Caribbean for your amazing vacation. 

Not denying it sucks. I live in a hurricane area and been through some awful storms.

When we book a cruise during hurricane season this is what can happen. 25% for a weather event is pretty damn good. At the end of the day Royal Caribbean is a business and if as long as they look out for safety this is what cruise lines do...

37 minutes ago, Henry said:

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue.

You are mistaken. Hindsight is 20/20 and to blame Royal Caribbean in any way for not being able to predict future weather with 100% preciseness is plain silly. Frankly, you're being extremely unrealistic.

In my opinion Royal should offer their guests either a voucher for a future cruise with them or a full refund. Jeopardizing their passengers safety to maybe still sail doesn’t seem like a good decision to me. My problem is I see they are now waiting until tomorrow at 3PM to make a decision on Navigator that leaves Friday. This totally screws me on being able to cancel my flight as there is a 24hr cancel policy for that upon which I would need to cancel by 7am tomorrow. So I’m basically just screwed....I understand it’s hurricane season and no one can control the weather but the fact that I haven’t gotten one email update the entire time and am going to be out a lot of money has me a little pissed!!!! 

Just now, arabucki said:

In my opinion Royal should offer their guests either a voucher for a future cruise with them or a full refund. Jeopardizing their passengers safety to maybe still sail doesn’t seem like a good decision to me. My problem is I see they are now waiting until tomorrow at 3PM to make a decision on Navigator that leaves Friday. This totally screws me on being able to cancel my flight as there is a 24hr cancel policy for that upon which I would need to cancel by 7am tomorrow. So I’m basically just screwed....I understand it’s hurricane season and no one can control the weather but the fact that I haven’t gotten one email update the entire time and am going to be out a lot of money has me a little pissed!!!! 

It's a no-win situation for RC. 

You're right and by waiting RC, is trying to salvage cruises but at the risk of your own travel plans. But remember, if they cancel and storm ends up going elsewhere, then people will be upset their vacations are cancelled. Heck, there are people that would be upset cruise is cancelled even if the storm track takes it right in the middle of the cruise path!

If they go ahead with sailing, people will be upset because they think RC should have cancelled.

It's a no-win situation for RC. 

I certainly feel for you and your situation and I dont think anyone blames you for being frustrated.

5 minutes ago, arabucki said:

IF the storm continues on the path where you were landing, the airlines typically will waive cancellation fees due to the storm as well.

So far the airline we are taking will not waive the cancellation fees which blows my mind; that’s because the storm isn’t expected to hit Miami/FLL until Sunday/Monday which doesn’t affect me flying in Friday morning but does effect us flying home on Monday. 😞

55 minutes ago, arabucki said:

Jeopardizing their passengers safety to maybe still sail doesn’t seem like a good decision to me.

In no way, shape, or form did they jeopardize their passengers' safety to sail.  They will keep their ships (which are huge investments) far away from the storm. 

How you get to the cruise is not the cruise line's responsibility.  Any changes you have to make to travel arrangements or accommodations is on you.  It's not on the cruise line to make you "whole" for your trip.  That is what travel insurance is for.

23 minutes ago, arabucki said:

So far the airline we are taking will not waive the cancellation fees which blows my mind; that’s because the storm isn’t expected to hit Miami/FLL until Sunday/Monday which doesn’t affect me flying in Friday morning but does effect us flying home on Monday.

That's when you invoke the travel insurance.  If your flight home on Monday is canceled, then you will file with your travel insurance company to recoup the extra costs incurred to get home.

We're on Navigator sailing Friday out of Miami.  At this point I'm uber worried about being close to the storm while on the cruise.  I love sea days, but rocky and wet ones not so much.  I hope RCL keeps us far away from the Bahamas and from the storm.

1 hour ago, Crabbycruiser said:

I have never had a Sea Day that I didn't like....😎

I never have either, but on my last cruise it was pretty clear many people were not having a nice cruise day...my wife included. Rain, rough seas, and I was the only person out of 4,000 in the pool (and only about 25 people on the pool deck as a whole). This was for multiple hours. Overheard lots of people saying they were sick and sounded like a lot of people didn't like that particular sea day.

All of you complaining about this situation need to review your travel insurance policies to check your options for trip interruption.  You did get travel insurance when you booked a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season with flights involved, right???  Of course you did.  You sound like responsible, intelligent folks.

6 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

All of you complaining about this situation need to review your travel insurance policies to check your options for trip interruption.  You did get travel insurance when you booked a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season with flights involved, right???  Of course you did.  You sound like responsible, intelligent folks.

Trip insurance does help soften the blow..but it's a pain to deal with and you have to be able to front the money to make your alternative arrangements.  It also helps to be savvy when it comes to traveling and also familiar with where you are going.  Not everyone even knows what they can do if something happens with a flight delay or cancellation that would cause them to miss out on their cruise.

When we had to face a trip interruption situation last minute flights were $2000 where the original ones had only been $400.  Insurance ended up covering it all, but we still had to front the money.  We were on a cruise in the northeast and saw a hurricane heading to Florida and started looking at flights and gathering information so we could jump as soon as we heard of airport closures.  We alternatively could have taken the earliest available flight after the storm passed and the airport reopened and travel insurance would have covered our extended stay in NJ which would have been even more out of pocket expenses.

You technically don't have a claim until something gets canceled or delayed, so you can't make any non-refundable alternative arrangements for a backup plan until you have proof of the delay or cancellation.  The domino effect of all the cancellations and short notice, limited supply and high demand, makes it stressful.  And then even when you do have a loss, you have to exhaust every avenue to be able to recoup from insurance.  Just ask @twangster about his experience with that.

A position that many people are in now is that they have to wait for a flight cancellation or delay or airport closure (which could them to miss the cruise) to have a claim.  At that point they have to find the next available flight to get to the embarkation port and if they can't find one that will get them there timely then insurance would cover them getting to the first port of call of the cruise.  So they'd have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed for all of that and miss out on some or most of the cruise as well.   

If they change their flight ahead of a cancellation to ensure they are there before the storm could affect their travel, that would all be on them with zero chance of insurance reimbursement because there was no official triggering event in the eyes of the insurance company. 

There's really nothing that the cruise line or airlines can really do in this situation unfortunately.  They're in to make a profit and outside of making all travel refundable for any reason, this is going to happen.