Packing cubes...?

I am now a fan for multiple reasons.  I use the non-compression kind and roll my clothes and stack in them.  You can fit a lot more into your suitcase but watch your weight then.  I like them because packing and unpacking is so much easier.  I put the cubes in the drawers or on the shelves so my stuff doesn't touch the shelves/drawers so I'm not worried if there is dust in there.  Also on shelves your stuff won't fall through.  How I pack mine is I put drawer items on the bottom of the cube then put the clothes I want to hang on top.  I simply remove the top layer and hang them then put the cube in the drawer or shelf.  For kids they are great because I roll a day's clothes together making getting ready easy. 

Youtube has lots of great videos about them, check some out.  My husband and daughter thought I was nuts then asked for their own sets. 

I find them helpful for a few of reasons:

1) They do help me organize stuff and keep them organized on board or in a hotel

2) They force me to think a little more about what I pack. Like a lot of people I think I'm a good packer and make good choices, but....

3) I find the packing cubes for shoes help keep the shoes from getting messed up in the luggage - or messing up other things in the suitcase.

4) When I'm not travelling I try to use them to organize my stuff at home.... when I remember to do it.

I bought some at ebags.com and like them. I've since seen them at Amazon and elsewhere.

I don't know if that means you should get them...   

Just now, kittysoul said:

@Hoski @markinct   Thanks!  I think i will get some and try it!  They don't seem to be too expensive and I am starting to get sold on the idea! ?

That was me.  I saw a video and wasn't sure what the big deal was but got one set.  Then I had to try them twice and before I decided I really loved them.

2 hours ago, kittysoul said:

@Hoski @markinct   Thanks!  I think i will get some and try it!  They don't seem to be too expensive and I am starting to get sold on the idea! ?

The Amazon brand non compression is very good.  I have bought compression ones too in order to enable my overpacking (see my overpacking thread lol).  I really love them... Last trip they were so helpful on majesty when the girls and I didn't have a ton of space!  Jane

We have two sets for everyone in our family, color-coded of course. They a) help us to keep everything straight for all 6 of us and b) make organizing the luggage pretty easy. Also nice to have a cube with shirts, one with socks/unmentionables, etc.

Got them about 3 years ago, and can't imagine traveling without them now.

In my personal opinion, they're a waste of money. But that's me. I have a very specific way of packing and staying organized, and it works for me. I also use the smallest bag possible, which forces me to be organized and efficient with my packing. To me they're just extra money spent on something I can do myself, but I understand lots of people enjoy them. I guess you just need to know how you pack first, and then determine if they're worth the spend.

13 minutes ago, Skid said:

Scoll up about 6 posts...I linked it there. Here it is again for those interested that may have missed it.

woo hoo... awesome guys, and thanks for all of the help!  I ordered some of the compression cubes after reading everything said... i cannot wait.... i am just taking a 22in roller bag and a carry on duffle sort of bag that fits down over the handle... so I need to cram all i can into that little bag! ?   Ya'll the best!!

I second (or third!) the comments on how I was skeptical at first, but now swear by them!  I also use them to store my electronics chargers together (one of the smaller bags); when I'm traveling, and not using the chargers, they stay in the bag.  When it's time to unpack my suitcase, I find that just pulling out the cubes and putting them in the drawers is very satisfying -- pull out the cubes, put them in the dresser drawers, hang up clothes, put toilette items in the bathroom -- done!

I bought packing cubes last year, and have used them twice. First instance was when I went on a camper van road trip for 2 weeks. SUCH a small space that I shared with my partner, and we needed all of the organization we could get. 

Most recently I went on a 12 night trip to the US. We did 4 cities, 3 nights in each place. Lots of moving, lots of in and out. I found them really great for quickly looking for what I wanted, and being able to easily repack my bag. I also only used a carry on duffel bag for this, and duffels so easily get messed up. So it’s great for bags that aren’t reallly suites to storing and extracting your clothes in. 

I thought cubes were a complete waste of money but bought some recently and have to confess was pretty stunned with how well they worked. I went on a trip without cubes and it took one large suitcase for my daughter and I together. I got cubes and managed to fit the SAME amount of clothes for the same number of days into the next size down suitcase for our recent trip. It's magic.

I used to use plastic Ziploc bags and "smoosh" the air out so I could put my dirty clothes back inside them and not "taint" my clean stuff.

I have been trying to be more environmentally aware though so the cubes allow me to do the same thing but then I can wash and re-use them if they get funky (I train for triathlons so "funk" is often a friend).

I did try to pack like I'd seen folks back online with all similar items in the same cube but that doesn't work for me. I have a cube for each day and once I am done, the dirty clothes go back into that cube and the new cube is on deck (no pun intended) for the next morning.

It works for me and I admit I thought cubes were a stupid waste of money until.... I used them for the first time. I'm definitely a convert.

One other thing I do recommend is a wet bag. Container Store sells a nice one but I have also seen them at the baby stores. I like to take one of these so if I wear a bathing suit on the last night and it doesn't dry by morning, I can pop it in the wet bag and not worry about a wet suit in my luggage. They also work well if you have really sweaty or dirty clothes (like if you run a mudder or something similar).

b42057fc5874680092fabdf0b0761b66.jpg

1 minute ago, Skid said:

@JennyJenny

1. There is a LOT of good stuff in that post!

2. My chiropractor is currently in training for his FOURTH Iron Man competition. All I can say is WOW! Just curious--do you compete or train others? I am impressed either way!

1. Thanks ? I will say that if you have a way to pack that works for you, I think you can make the cubes adjust to it so don't automatically dismiss the notion of using them if the videos you see have folks packing differently. (Not to you in particular, just for those reading who are still on the fence about cubes).

2. I have not yet done an Iron Man. I'd like to try some day but I have to work up to it (I went through chemo and a double mastectomy for breast cancer a few years back so had to start back at zero). Currently, I do sprints (800-1,000 yard swim, 15-20k bike, 5k run) and if someone needs a third for a relay I will volunteer to grab that leg. I "compete" as in I enter and get a shirt and medal and do not feel any guilt over eating a nice juicy burger with a fried egg on it or indulging in a Starbucks frappacino as I drive home. I have placed twice, once I got a third place for my division and another time the relay team I was with won second place. I'm never going to be Olympic caliber but it keeps me active and gives me something to do. I have recently started to look into what it would entail to train others from a coaching perspective. I do some gratis coaching for some friends who are trying to be more active (walking, yoga, weightlifting) but nothing professional. I am considering when I am forced to retire from my current job, that I will be bored out of my mind in about a month so I'd like to get my certification(s) and become a personal trainer then. They have a nice program with US Masters Swimming that I have looked at getting certified through them (I am a member of US Masters Swimming and USA Triathlon). Who knows? I figure it would be fun to work with folks and train them to make a little side cash and give me something to do when I am retired!

@JennyJenny

And now I am even more impressed. Wishing you the best of health for decades to come and looking forward to you sharing your accomplishments. I know there will be many!

23 minutes ago, JennyJenny said:

I "compete" as in I enter and get a shirt and medal and do not feel any guilt over eating a nice juicy burger with a fried egg on it or indulging in a Starbucks frappacino as I drive home.

That part made me laugh--I knew someone who would go out for ice cream with her friends every week right after their weight watchers meeting. And it seemed like every WW place had an ice cream parlor right next door.

5 hours ago, Skid said:

@JennyJenny

And now I am even more impressed. Wishing you the best of health for decades to come and looking forward to you sharing your accomplishments. I know there will be many!

That part made me laugh--I knew someone who would go out for ice cream with her friends every week right after their weight watchers meeting. And it seemed like every WW place had an ice cream parlor right next door.

Thank you! I promised my oncologist that I'd send him a post card from my cruise for his big bulletin board in the chemo room (past patients send him post cards for others to look at while they do chemo).

I try to watch my sugar but I figure if I spent a few hours doing a triathlon, I can have a little cheat afterwards. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to!

8 hours ago, mrp4352 said:

I've found my clothes stay neater in packing cubes when packed 2-days before the cruise (to allow for the travel prior to the cruise).  Personally, I don't use the compression for clean clothes - I worry about wrinkles.  So - packing cubes going, compression bags coming home (which also allows for souvenir space!)

I love this idea of cubes going there and compression coming back for souvenir space.  I just found some compression cubes that can be used as normal ones or compressed depending on how you close them so this post made me pull the trigger on grabbing those. I’ll have them expanded going there and compressed coming back! 

19 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

I love this idea of cubes going there and compression coming back for souvenir space.  I just found some compression cubes that can be used as normal ones or compressed depending on how you close them so this post made me pull the trigger on grabbing those. I’ll have them expanded going there and compressed coming back! 

Mine do this... They have a regular zipper and then also a 2nd compression one.  Sometimes you have to be careful when zipping the compression one as sometimes it catches the fabric.  Jane

We also use packing cubes and usually end up with 1 empty cube after we unpack.  Before we go gallivanting around the ship, we each put a set of clothes we can wear on the way home in the empty cube and drop it in our carry-on bag.  No worries about forgetting to leave out a set of clothes on the last night.  Never want to be one of those people. :5_smiley:

3 hours ago, ptod said:

We also use packing cubes and usually end up with 1 empty cube after we unpack.  Before we go gallivanting around the ship, we each put a set of clothes we can wear on the way home in the empty cube and drop it in our carry-on bag.  No worries about forgetting to leave out a set of clothes on the last night.  Never want to be one of those people. :5_smiley:

Oh that is so smart!!!   Jane

I love my HANGING packing cubes by Stow N Go - It has three shelves and a pouch at the bottom.  I can pack for a week in this.  When I get to where I am going I can pull this out, hang it up, and... Im unpacked!  I LOVE THESE THINGS!  and i got the smaller size so that I can use in a carry on or in a large suitcase with room for SHOES!

https://www.amazon.com/Stow-N-Go-Portable-Luggage-Suitcase-Organizer/dp/B01N9KMI1Z/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3988P1OA3PDQG&keywords=stow+n+go+portable+luggage+system&qid=1563412029&s=gateway&sprefix=stow+n+go%2Caps%2C616&sr=8-3