Jump to content
Lovetocruise2002

Cruising with Greatness – Anthem Group Cruise – July 4-13, 2019

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thank you @Lovetocruise2002 for blogging again!  Wish they would move up spring break 2021 so I could join you guys!  It looks like you had an amazing trip!!!!!!  Jane

Sorry, we grabbed Allure back in December upon release and got a great deal on it. Not giving that one up lol. And that will be our spring break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It’s both more and less disconnected, IMO. The Q class ships have so many ocean balcony rooms compared to other ships that getting a balcony is only barely more expensive than an inside or OV (and sometimes cheaper with a good sale). So you get that ocean connection in that way.

The Two70 lounge is a FANTASTIC place to watch the ocean and have more of that connection, and the WJ has the aft outside dining area @twangster noted, as well as the usual floor to ceiling glass along the whole length of the outside walls. And you have the jogging track / pool deck with the Flow Raider and iFly all providing ocean views.

Where you feel the inward facing nature is in the Esplanade, the VIA, and any of the public’s venues. All inside, with few or no windows to give you that ocean connection. And honestly, in mid-October when it’s 40° F outside plus wind chill, not seeing the gloomy outdoors is kind of nice.

Didn't realize that Anthem didn't have a Promenade.  So deck 5 isn't a single walkthrough with the stores on each side?  I'm looking at the deck plans now and notice it does list it as Esplanade but hard to tell if its just that single area and if you can walk from one end to the other.  Do you walk around the outside to get from one section to the next? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Didn't realize that Anthem didn't have a Promenade.  So deck 5 isn't a single walkthrough with the stores on each side?  I'm looking at the deck plans now and notice it does list it as Esplanade but hard to tell if its just that single area and if you can walk from one end to the other.  Do you walk around the outside to get from one section to the next? 

It has an “Esplanade” on Deck 4 which is sort of like the Promenade on OA class. However, where the Promenade is open and wide, the Esplande is narrow and much shorter in length. To make matters worse, they set up tables in the middle of the Esplanade and it takes up much needed space for walking.

Deck 5 on Anthem opens in the middle and you can walk along the sides of it but not across it.  It comes back together again along the VIA towards Vintages and 270 and Schooner on the other end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Didn't realize that Anthem didn't have a Promenade.  So deck 5 isn't a single walkthrough with the stores on each side?  I'm looking at the deck plans now and notice it does list it as Esplanade but hard to tell if its just that single area and if you can walk from one end to the other.  Do you walk around the outside to get from one section to the next? 

No Promenade, in it's place is an Esplanade.  Towards one end of the Esplanade there is guests services, then food or beverage venues with kiosks and display cabinets in the middle then towards the other end of the Esplanade are stores.  The length of the Esplanade has a dog leg in it at the Pub.  The kiosks and display cases are used to display items for various items for sale.  In that sense the Esplanade is similar to the Promenade found on some other classes of ships.   Slightly more narrow in places with a dog leg.

You can walk the length of The Esplanade inside.  You can also walk the length of it one deck up where you'll find Izumi, Wonderland, Shore Excursions, the Bionic Bar and completely forward the Schooner Bar.   That is one advantage of Quantum class - the ability to bypass the Esplanade one deck up overlooking the Esplanade for it's entire length.

I think it's the dog leg that causes congestion in the Esplanade.  That forces events like 2 for $20 sales or the Captain's address to be compressed in a sub-section of the overall space.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, twangster said:

No Promenade, in it's place is an Esplanade.  Towards one end of the Esplanade there is guests services, then food or beverage venues with kiosks and display cabinets in the middle then towards the other end of the Esplanade are stores.  The length of the Esplanade has a dog leg in it at the Pub.  The kiosks and display cases are used to display items for various items for sale.  In that sense the Esplanade is similar to the Promenade found on some other classes of ships.   Slightly more narrow in places with a dog leg.

You can walk the length of The Esplanade inside.  You can also walk the length of it one deck up where you'll find Izumi, Wonderland, Shore Excursions, the Bionic Bar and completely forward the Schooner Bar.   That is one advantage of Quantum class - the ability to bypass the Esplanade one deck up overlooking the Esplanade for it's entire length.

I think it's the dog leg that causes congestion in the Esplanade.  That forces events like 2 for $20 sales or the Captain's address to be compressed in a sub-section of the overall space.  

Thanks for explaining.  So to walk from 270 to the Royal Theatre, you go one deck up?

Look forward to trying Anthem in March.  I know it's not for everyone but pretty sure we'll love it too. The 270 seems like it has wonderful views and still tons to do for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It has an “Esplanade” on Deck 4 which is sort of like the Promenade on OA class. However, where the Promenade is open and wide, the Esplande is narrow and much shorter in length. To make matters worse, they set up tables in the middle of the Esplanade and it takes up much needed space for walking.

Deck 5 on Anthem opens in the middle and you can walk along the sides of it but not across it.  It comes back together again along the VIA towards Vintages and 270 and Schooner on the other end. 

Ah ok thanks...read posts backwards so missed your post.  Now I see on deck 4 where it shows where you can walk.

Guessing for tables, they always try to offer the watch and tshirt sales. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for explaining.  So to walk from 270 to the Royal Theatre, you go one deck up?

Look forward to trying Anthem in March.  I know it's not for everyone but pretty sure we'll love it too. The 270 seems like it has wonderful views and still tons to do for all.

You can walk the length of the ship from Two70° forward to the upper level of the main theater on deck 5.  In the middle of the ship remaining on deck 5 allows you to bypass the Esplanade crowds.  Once in the forward elevator bank you can take the stairs down one level to the deck 4 primary main theater entrance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the review. Seems as if you had fun. Your thoughts of Quantum Class compared to the other large ships are word for word my thoughts on them. Not my cup of tea.

For the dreaded question - how was Mitch as CD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

For the dreaded question - how was Mitch as CD?

I personally thought that Mitch was great.  Full of energy and great sense of humour.  I was impressed because we were his last sailing before his break.  Also @Matt can probably chime in as well because I know that he had a couple of conversations with Mitch.  The only thing that I did not like was that Mitch did not lead the Crazy Quest.  He let the AM do it.  She was pretty good too but I wanted to see him lead it.  Same thing happened on Harmony in March, Ricky let his AM handle it as well.

2 hours ago, Susie said:

@Lovetocruise2002 and others, thanks for the blog. I knew Anthem OTS is not your favorite but we loves her. Everyone has their own favorite. Hope you have a blog for Symphony OTS so we can see a bit of her before our trip in October. This will be our first with Oasis class ship.

Exactly!  Everyone has their favourite and while Anthem is not mine, I still had great time.  And I would never totally rule it out for the future.  Hubby did say that he would not mind trying out Star Class on Quantum class....you know what that means..lol

Btw, I had a Lemon Drop Martini every day thanks to you 😉

1 hour ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Thank You All For The Great Live Blog. It Made My Week!

Thank you for following!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 6:52 AM, Adpcruise1 said:

Do you recall when the Crown and Anchor platinum and up event was? I think I read that it’s normally Day 2 around 4ish? Just wondering. Thanks! 

Day 4 at 11am in the Theater. As @Lovetocruise2002 said it conflicted with a cabin crawl we had so I did not go either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great live blog @Lovetocruise2002.  It was fun to read all 18 pages of this live blog post being on this cruise.

Not meaning to hijack, but a few of my random thoughts.

It was fantastic meeting everyone on the Group Cruise.  One of my favorite cruises so far...by far having 80+ other groupies to hang with was fun.

As has been mentioned about eating in the Two70 Cafe is a hidden gem...the Solarium Bistro is another great place to avoid big crowds.

One funny moment was on day 2 or 3 I was eating dinner up there, and I get a notification on my phone of @Matt doing a live periscope, and I look around the small room, and two other tables were listening in.

Where ever I would go, I would usually see a friendly face, or a red MEI lanyard (thanks @AnnetteJackson .)

As mentioned, the flow of people is not very good, especially around the Royal Theater.  What made it worse, there were major shows/events scheduled when a major show ended, and another event started in 10 or 15 minutes afterwards.  People trying to get in (and blocking the hallways) while the theater was letting out.

Also noticed a few shows/events that started 10-15 (one was 20 or 25) late.  I don't remember this happening so often on my previous cruises.

Being on three Voyager class ships in the past, Anthem my new largest ship...I did miss the openness of a promenade.  

Looking forward to joining more group cruises in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ken!  I did not even realize that you are on the message boards!  Thanks for reading the live blog 🙂

5 minutes ago, Ken23 said:

It was fantastic meeting everyone on the Group Cruise.  One of my favorite cruises so far...by far having 80+ other groupies to hang with was fun.

Totally agree!

5 minutes ago, Ken23 said:

One funny moment was on day 2 or 3 I was eating dinner up there, and I get a notification on my phone of @Matt doing a live periscope, and I look around the small room, and two other tables were listening in.

One day @Michael Vitale, his wife, a few others, and I were in the Diamond Lounge watching @Matt do FB live.  Even when sailing with him, we tune in.  Totally devoted lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

 

One day @Michael Vitale, his wife, a few others, and I were in the Diamond Lounge watching @Matt do FB live.  Even when sailing with him, we tune in.  Totally devoted lol.

 

Watched?  You gotta crash in!  Or is that something that just Brandon & I do?  😀 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...