lanyard recommendations for sea pass card

I, too, would be curious if Guest Services could punch a hole in the Sea Pass (Non-RFID) cards for attachment to Lanyard.  Seems like it would be inconvenient to have to take card out of plastic lanyard sleeve to open door to room every time.

Wonder if I could I bring my own hole punch?  I've got one and just 'tested' it on an old DCL key card and it worked fine.  Made a perfect hole that I can attach a carabiner through.  Would that be an item that would not be permitted on the ship?

Would a hole punched into a Sea Pass card be used by crew as any type of 'signal'...like "don't serve this guy any drinks?" LOL...

Hear is my two cents worth having taken a number of cruises with my family. On the Harmony, you don't punch holes in the card as previously mentioned. The new cards allow you to "tap" a reader, so you never take them out of the plastic holder.   But when it comes to plastic sleeves, the type of plastic can make a difference over time.  The sleeves sold at WalMart are soft plastic and are more likely to tear.  If using those sleeves, try the clips that have a plastic snap rather than the clips that are metal (which may tear).  I prefer harder plastic, so I save the badge holders from any conferences I attend, or I break down and pay $8 for the souvenir lanyards on the ship.  The hard plastic sleeves last many voyages if you are willing to put tape on any tears.   But the ideal badge holder for beach days is the water proof, phone-sized holder that you can purchase separately at various travel stores.  I got one at a duty free store that I am still using.  The point is that you can securely place a little cash and ID inside the larger, water-proof sleeve and take it with you into the water.  If doing something vigorous like snorkeling, place it under your UV- resistant wet-shirt so it doesn't get in the way.  Please don't leave your SeaPass unattended on a lounge chair when you go into the water.  I see that all the time, and it probably isn't too smart.

I have a few lanyards, most from different group cruises we've been on, but also from RCCL when they used to give them out.  (I just tossed the pretty yellow Adventure Ocean lanyards that were stained from chocolate ice cream from when my kids were very young).  Each one has a different plastic sleeve, some with a ziploc type seal, others fully open. 

The only regular lanyards I've actually purchased come from here: https://shop.cruisehabit.com/collections/for-you/products/cruisehabit-com-lanyard-w-plastic-sleeve?variant=35637628491 

I also have my "dress lanyards" that I bought from Paparazzi jewelry.  They require a hole, but if you take the plastic holder off the "day lanyard" you can attach it to the "night lanyard."  LOL I find them much nice to wear at night with my dinner clothes.

1 hour ago, OrlandoDad said:

I, too, would be curious if Guest Services could punch a hole in the Sea Pass (Non-RFID) cards for attachment to Lanyard.  Seems like it would be inconvenient to have to take card out of plastic lanyard sleeve to open door to room every time.

Wonder if I could I bring my own hole punch?  I've got one and just 'tested' it on an old DCL key card and it worked fine.  Made a perfect hole that I can attach a carabiner through.  Would that be an item that would not be permitted on the ship?

Would a hole punched into a Sea Pass card be used by crew as any type of 'signal'...like "don't serve this guy any drinks?" LOL...

3 hours ago, markm said:

What type of lanyard connection and or holder do you recommended?  Will guest services still punch a hole in it for you, if so plastic connection or hook?

Absolutely they will.  In fact, there will be a crew member at the entrance to the Guest Services line with a hole punch in hand on embarkation day, just waiting to do it for you.  They would prefer doing it, so it goes in the proper place. 

I am not a fan of the plastic sleeve...such a pain to get the card out of.  I usually get the card punched and use a fun sports or city lanyard...great conversation starter.  I haven’t been on a cruise that doesn’t let you punch though.  I also (since I wear sundresses with no pockets) like the tiny Vera Bradley crossbody or wristlets.  My husband sometimes does the lanyard and sometimes just his wallet or zip pocket.  Jane

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, Shari said:

My husband and I got these for the cruise we were just on. The card was easy to get out and we used them as our wallets when on shore.  They worked great!  They are RFID blocking so you have to take them out to open the door but that feature protects your credit cards while on shore.

card holder wallet for lanyard.jpg

Can you tell me where you got these?  

3 hours ago, CFL said:

That is the exact one.  I just checked my orders.

On board my cruise they gave us waterproof lanyard pouches for free. Im not sure about other cruises but the waterproof ones are great for carrying everything (small) from money to phones and passports and of course a sea pass card. On board, they sell quite nice lanyards that are probably better for walking around the ship with just a sea pass card. You can find these in the promenade ?

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, Ditchdoc said:

I never seem to need a lanyard. I look nerdy enough without looking like I am at a convention. ?

I was going to ask... lol

Same. I wear a badge all day at work and at all the cons I attend and I want to go my VACATION without one of those blasted things around my neck! I just bought a darling little sparkly Kate Spade pineapple necklace and I want people to see that and not the lanyard. (I admit it, I dislike wearing lanyards).

I was considering:

A. Keeping the card in my bag and just pulling it out if I need it.

B. Bringing my "O" key ring with me in case that would come in handy. (I have one of these for personal and one for work. It's a key ring but it fits on your wrist like a bracelet and it comes in pretty options like crocodile or leather or silicone. One of the ones I have is the Tiffany Blue silicone which I have a small pouch attached that could easily hold the sea pass card):

bat.jpg

bat1.jpg

Well ... for a long time, as a guy, mostly all I had to carry around were my keys and billfold. Typical pants/shorts fit the bill. Then along came cell phones.

For awhile keys in a front pocket, billfold in one back pocket and phone in the other back pocket was doable but not always comfortable and risked breaking the phone.

Then there was cargo pants. Bingo, two extra front pockets on the thighs. Over time, virtually every pair of pants and shorts in my wardrobe morphed into the Jungle Jim look.

Now cargo pants are made in most every style from denim to camouflage , to dress. Flaps button, zipper or Velcro. There are pockets inside of pockets. Smaller stitched pockets that hold writing implements and with rings for attaching keys. There are heavy and light weight materials that dry in minutes if gotten wet.

On a cruise ship about all you need is the sea card. With all the cargo pant options, its is easy enough to find some place to keep the card.

Going ashore? A passport with a credit card, a bit of folding money and the sea pass card inside the pages are the only necessities and easy to stash in a pocket.

Extras like a phone or small digital camera, pair of glasses, even a smaller bottle of water can find a home in the right cargo pant pocket.

As a back up, I use a sturdy book bag/backpack as my carry on. If it seems prudent for the day, it can hold all the above, binoculars, towel, lightweight rain jacket, small packages from shopping and so on.

I just never liked things hanging around my neck.

• 1 year later...

You can always start a debate with these ones !!!!

A pack of two, one is labeled Captain and the other First Mate. You tell me who is going to get the Captains Lanyard or should you ask your wife first ? ?

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Retractable-Organizer-Essential-Accessories/dp/B07S851HTB/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=2-Pack%2BCruise%2BLanyard%2B%26%2BWaterproof%2BID%2BKey%2BCard%2BHolder%2BClip.%2BMatching%2BRetractable%2BBadge%2BReel.%2BTravel%2BOrganizer%2BBag.%2BEssential%2BCruise%2BShip%2BAccessories.%2BCaptain%2BFirst%2BMate%2B1%2BBlue%2B%26%2B1%2BLite%2BBlue&qid=1609338173&sr=8-2&th=1

2-Pack Cruise Lanyard & Waterproof ID Key Card Holder Clip. Matching Retractable Badge Reel. Travel Organizer Bag. Essential Cruise Ship Accessories.