tonyfsu21

“Suite Lounge” ........

@tonyfsu21...I genuinely find this discussion very interesting.  I'm not sure which side of the fence I sit on for this one but I definitely like hearing everybody's point so far.  I am wondering though...has the suite lounge been very crowded this past week on Allure?  Is that what prompted this post? 

I suppose if the suite lounge was so crowded to the point where I couldn't enjoy myself (and I paid for a suite) then I would totally agree with you.  However, the times that I've had access to a suite lounge it was always pretty quiet so it never bothered me.  Most times I can't even tell who is Pinnacle and who isn't.  The only time I was mildly annoyed (and this only happened once) was when we were in CK, a few minutes after being seated, we had to move because Pinnacles wanted our table....

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only time I was mildly annoyed (and this only happened once) was when we were in CK, a few minutes after being seated, we had to move because Pinnacles wanted our table....

That is over the top.  I would have refused to move out of principle.

I have never been in a Suite Lounge as I haven't yet sailed on a ship that has one. I have used the Concierge Lounge many times, either due to being in a suite or because I am D+, or both. Mostly, suite guests and Pinnacle (and D+) mix very well and accept that each deserves the perk. After all, whether one spends the asking price of a suite for one sailing or has spent an inordinate amount of money over many years to attain the loyalty status, the cost of entry has been paid.

However, at times it has been amusing to see the tension between just a few members of each category on some occasions, where each feels they are more entitled than the other. This is sometimes exhibited in grabbing territory (for example, Pinnacles congregating in their favourite seats in the CL and showing an element of displeasure if suite guests beat them to those seats) or suite guests, on occasion, monopolising the Concierge's time.

To be honest, I think Pinnacle members get very little above D+ in real benefits, particularly considering the number of points (and the money that represents) required.

So my vote is to rename the Suite Lounge and let everyone who has earned it, in whatever way, enjoy the privilege.

5 minutes ago, JohnUK said:

To be honest, I think Pinnacle members get very little above D+ in real benefits, particularly considering the number of points (and the money that represents) required.

On paper, perhaps.  But Pinnacle members are often coddled by the crew onboard with special events and access.  Go to any C&A reception and/or suite event and there is more than meets the eye when it comes to their benefits.

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only time I was mildly annoyed (and this only happened once) was when we were in CK, a few minutes after being seated, we had to move because Pinnacles wanted our table....

I agree with @twangster, that's beyond over the top. I would have refused to move and told them to go pound sand.

19 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@tonyfsu21...I genuinely find this discussion very interesting.  I'm not sure which side of the fence I sit on for this one but I definitely like hearing everybody's point so far.  I am wondering though...has the suite lounge been very crowded this past week on Allure?  Is that what prompted this post? 

I suppose if the suite lounge was so crowded to the point where I couldn't enjoy myself (and I paid for a suite) then I would totally agree with you.  However, the times that I've had access to a suite lounge it was always pretty quiet so it never bothered me.  Most times I can't even tell who is Pinnacle and who isn't.  The only time I was mildly annoyed (and this only happened once) was when we were in CK, a few minutes after being seated, we had to move because Pinnacles wanted our table....

Plenty of room. My point was not the space but rather the exclusivity of paying for a suite. Your last paragraph gives credibility to my post though. This AM we were in the Suite Lounge and the quintessential Pinnacle husband and wife came rolling in on their scooters (with their pins displayed). They wizzed around us in their zoot scoots and demanded the concierge change their outbound flight. They were mad because the concierge didn’t take the initiate. I don’t know the back story but it was kind of annoying and it prompted me to post. I would prefer the Suite lounge is for suites only (PS they were not in a suite). 

I feel the need to chime in and I might be off topic a bit and PLEASE, you guys know me by now I hope so no haters please!  I understand being in a loyalty program and that extra perks come with it, but I don't understand (and I mean this very sincerely) why there is such a huge deal to get Diamond or Diamond Plus or Emerald or whatever? Is it just the perks, the recognition from the cruise line, all of the above? and it sounds to me to reach Pinnacle you have to sail at least every other week from the age of 2-60? I get miles etc with airlines, upgrade etc but do these tiers get you upgrades after a certain point? I really am asking a sincere question.  

3 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This AM we were in the Suite Lounge and the quintessential Pinnacle husband and wife came rolling in on their scooters (with their pins displayed). They wizzed around us in their zoot scoots and demanded the concierge change their outbound flight. They were mad because the concierge didn’t take the initiate. I don’t know the back story but it was kind of annoying and it prompted me to post. I would prefer the Suite lounge is for suites only (PS they were not in a suite). 

I'm not disagreeing with you, Tony....but couldn't this couple JUST as easily have been inconsiderate suite guests ?

1 minute ago, tonyfsu21 said:

(PS they were not in a suite). 

I've seen plenty of annoying non-Pinnacle suite guests in the lounge.

I swear if I ever make it to Pinnacle I'm not going to wear the badge but do things to annoy the entitled Pinnacles.  When they complain I'll whip out my SeaPass card like a trump card 🙂

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What is this "IF" nonsense?  At the rate you are cruising, you will be there before I can even make D+!

I can't keep up this pace.  I really want 340 to get reduced single supplement.  With that achieved I can afford to cruise with Matt in peak season, plus take some more exotic cruises like Hawaii, Norway,  Transpacific, etc.  Right now those are too pricey when paying 200%.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I can't keep up this pace.  I really want 340 to get reduced single supplement.  With that achieved I can afford to cruise with Matt in peak season, plus take some more exotic cruises like Hawaii, Norway,  Transpacific, etc.  Right now those are too pricey when paying 200%.

This coming from the guy who was like, "What will I fill my time with between June - October so I can get my glass block on Symphony?  Oops, I just booked Mariner...Oops, I just booked another 8 cruises before that..."  It's the like boy who cried wolf lol 😜

You know I'm just kidding right?   We all benefit from you cruising...

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This coming from the guy who was like, "What will I fill my time with between June - October so I can get my glass block on Symphony?  Oops, I just booked Mariner...Oops, I just booked another 8 cruises before that..."  It's the like boy who cried wolf lol 😜

You know I'm just kidding right?   We all benefit from you cruising...

No Live blog for you!

53381554_poster210x230f8f8f8-pad210x230f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg.d127573230321fd7e2b38f06f7ccfb42.jpg

The problem lies with the Radiance class and below.  When we were on the Serenade, we decided to take a peak into the concierge club . Boy was it packed to the hilt. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a pinnacle member and the diamond club was the same, after several diamond members complained about it, management opened up the Viking Crown lounge as an overflow.

6 hours ago, monctonguy said:

is this a change in policy or the way its always been?

Don't these people that pay lots of $$ for a suite get all kinds of perks for their money already? Surely sharing a lounge with some seasoned cruises doesn't ruin your experience or make you feel like you aren't getting what your entitled to? And I cant imagine they are over crowded.

I guess these are problems I will never have to worry about....staying in a suite and being waited on or reaching pinnacle.

There is lots that I don't like or agree with that Royal does...this doesn't even register as an issue for 95% of cruise passengers....just the elite ones I guess!..lol Sounds like those who sit in first class and complain about how NOT first class enough it is......first world problems eh?!....

Maybe cruise on a ship that doesn't have a suite lounge...then you wont have to deal with those pinnacle people that spent like 700 nights in a inside room to reach that status...haha

Now if your are pinnacle AND you can still afford to book a suite...then you deserve a whole lounge to yourself.....:4_joy:

Oh..and this thread should prob be under Discussion rather than News and Rumors?

To reach “ The Pinnacle” 700 nights in a regular room !!!!?  OH MY God.  These people is royal for Royal!

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, Tony....but couldn't this couple JUST as easily have been inconsiderate suite guests ?

Yes for sure. I am now back to my happy place playing the “Heidi the beer lady” slot machine in CR. I swear if I get side swiped by the disgruntled couple on their zoot scoots in CR I will be crafting another post! Lol 

6 hours ago, twangster said:

RCI needs to throw the JS people a bone.   

@twangster Don't forget on non Oasis and Quantum ships they get that silver seapass card that nobody else on the ship is entitled to. That's what you are paying for :10_wink:

I find the suite and concierge lounge an interesting place to people watch. We were on Ovation for a trans pacific crossing. This type of cruise seems to attract all the Diamond + and Pinnacles and there did seem to be an atmosphere of entitlement that was not present on other cruises we have done, It was also quite cliquey.

In my opinion RCI created these lounges for people to have one or two drinks before dinner in a relaxing environment but as time has gone by some people see it as a chance to get as much "free" alcohol as they can consume. It was not uncommon for people to turn up at the lounge and stay until 8pm when the lounge closed. I think this is taking advantage and is not what was intended for the lounges.

Given RCI's penchant for finding savings maybe in the future they will try to curtail this by limiting the number of drinks in the lounges.

In terms of concierge lounge overcrowding it was definitely an issue on Ovation and Explorer if you arrived when it opened but if you went after 6pm it was not so bad for finding a seat.

This obviously varies greatly ship to ship and sailing to sailing. In our lone Concierge Lounge experience to date, our family of six were often the only ones in the lounge other than the Concierge and the bartender. When it was "crowded" we encountered as many as 20 people at one time.

I don't care if all 14 others were Pinnacle (or even not really eligible to be in the lounge) - it's not as though our ability to enjoy the perks was compromised.

12 hours ago, F1guynz said:

Given RCI's penchant for finding savings maybe in the future they will try to curtail this by limiting the number of drinks in the lounges.

Great analysis.  I agree with everything you said and I suspect the above is coming very soon.  They have already experimented with requiring the servers to "swipe" cards during the happy hour; my guess is this was a test to see how much it slowed everything down and how much bitching resulted.  I foresee a time coming where those in the lounges will be restricted to the same 3 drinks that they permit outside of the clubs.