US State Department Announces New Online Passport Renewal - Limits Apply

From an online source (subscription required, so I will provide relevant details)

On June 12, the U.S. Department of State announced a beta trial of its online passport renewal system. Americans looking to renew their passports can visit mytravel.state.gov. However, the agency is allowing only a limited number of people to apply online during the beta trial period. The renewal system will open each day at midday (ET) and will close once the daily limit is reached.

“During the next several months, we plan to continue to limit the number of applications accepted each day so we can monitor the system’s performance in real time. This beta release during which we are limiting the daily applications is an important and standard part of the software development process,” the department said.

To apply online, the applicant must be 25 years or older and have a passport that has been valid for 10 years. The passport must have been issued between 2009 and 2015. The renewal application should not request a change in name, date of birth, place of birth, or gender.

The online renewal service is only available for a regular tourist passport. Special issuance passports, such as those used for diplomatic or official purposes, cannot be renewed online.

Applicants must live in the United States. They cannot reside in a foreign country or have an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) address.

The State Department clarified that a person’s current passport will be canceled after the renewal application is submitted and cannot be used for international travel.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

To apply online, the applicant must be 25 years or older and have a passport that has been valid for 10 years. The passport must have been issued between 2009 and 2015.

I'm not sure how a passport issued 2009-2013 could have been valid for 10 years since they're all expired.

20 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

2015 rather than 2013, but it seems like range should have been 14 to 15, unless they are accepting expired ones for renewal, as just noted above.

Yes, they are accepting expired passports for renewal

On 6/16/2024 at 10:09 PM, asquared17 said:

does this mean i have to use my old (current) picture though… because it’s rough. 😂

Lol.  No, you have to upload a digital photo.  I was going to walk my parents through this, but the digital photo part threw a wrinkle in doing it with the capabilities we had available.  I was actually kind of hoping they would allow my parents to use the prior photos.

1 hour ago, KimA75 said:

Lol.  No, you have to upload a digital photo.  I was going to walk my parents through this, but the digital photo part threw a wrinkle in doing it with the capabilities we had available.  I was actually kind of hoping they would allow my parents to use the prior photos.

I don't know why people would assume they can use 10-year-old photos, passports need to be accurate. So, you must provide a new photo. 

On 6/16/2024 at 6:00 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I saw this, literally a day after I sent my passport to get renewed.

Crazy!  I literally mailed my renewal in on June 11th to Philly address.  Wish I had known this new online thing was coming.  Second thought, maybe it was safer to renew it the 'old way' - snail mail, personal check, and a $15 UPS color photo.  I shall see soon............

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2024 at 10:02 AM, Ampurp85 said:

I don't know why people would assume they can use 10-year-old photos, passports need to be accurate. So, you must provide a new photo. 

Because they are in their 70s and their appearance hasn't changed much at all since the last one. I understand with kids or people that have significant changes. But, you could literally hold their photos next to each other and not know which one was the most recent.

On 6/16/2024 at 7:08 PM, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure how a passport issued 2009-2013 could have been valid for 10 years since they're all expired.

Go to the State Departments Website it tells you they will accept passports that are expired.  The reason they include 2009 is because that is the cut off point for an acceptable expired passport.  If your passport was issued in 2008 or 16 years ago they will not accept it but they will accept passports up to 15 year old and of course a 15 year old passport is of course expired making 2009 the cut off point.  

The wording is bad but the State Departments website does try to clarify it as much as possible but they are accepting expired passports that we issued in 2009 or 15 years ago.

Related (sort of) the State Department and a local Congressman announced a passport office will be opened in Orlando (in a year or so). Media reports state it will only be for emergency passport issuance or emergency renewal. A big deal but it isn't I guess. A location must first be selected. I dunno, seems like the relatively new, shiny Federal Courthouse downtown would be a good idea......🤔

I just got my passport back in the mail, as well! For anyone who needs to mail it in, though, use a website like https://www.idphoto4you.com/ to get your 2x2's laid out in a standard 4x6 size for free, print the 4x6 for 50 cents at Walgreens, and just cut out the 2x2. As long as you're confident in following directions relating to sizing.

i put myself through the torture of a photo - government photos are so incredibly humbling DEAR GOD - and mark the day!! july 9th 2024.... application submitted. now we see how long it takes!

they also allow you to sign up for updates to be emailed to you, which i have done. not sure that said email updates will actually happen, but a girl can dream.

ps: lucked out with having a photographer in the family and didn't have to pay to get a digital photo taken. 🥰

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

i put myself through the torture of a photo - government photos are so incredibly humbling DEAR GOD - and mark the day!! july 9th 2024.... application submitted. now we see how long it takes!

they also allow you to sign up for updates to be emailed to you, which i have done. not sure that said email updates will actually happen, but a girl can dream.

ps: lucked out with having a photographer in the family and didn't have to pay to get a digital photo taken. 🥰

They don't send emails, I signed up for updates with the regular service........maybe this service will be different 🤔. I had to check the website myself for updates, so I would say start looking about a week from now. 

On 7/9/2024 at 4:16 PM, Ampurp85 said:

They don't send emails, I signed up for updates with the regular service........maybe this service will be different 🤔. I had to check the website myself for updates, so I would say start looking about a week from now. 

Believe it or not, I actually got 3 email updates when submitted via regular service - amazing!  Mailed in my app on June 11th and received the new pport July 5th.  Actually very pleased with the service (other than the $130 fee, haha). 

2 hours ago, JustMeJoe said:

Believe it or not, I actually got 3 email updates when submitted via regular service - amazing!  Mailed in my app on June 11th and received the new pport July 5th.  Actually very pleased with the service (other than the $130 fee, haha). 

No updates for me. 

But service was fantastic. I sent via priority mail on the 9th and had my new passports by the 18th and my olds one by the 25th.

How do you like the look of the new one? I think it will be more durable. 

On 7/9/2024 at 2:36 PM, asquared17 said:

lucked out with having a photographer in the family and didn't have to pay to get a digital photo taken. 🥰

Just renewed ours. also have a photographer in the family too, So we'll see how long it takes. They say 6-8 weeks, which is fine because our next cruise isn't until October 

quick update here:

the email updates are working for me! i got one on the 11th last week that my payment cleared (they don’t process until it clears) - and i had submitted on the 9th. 

just got another update; they say they’re printing it now and i should have it around 7.22!!!!! 😱😱😱😱😱

i’ll believe it when i see it but…. WOW. 🤩

On 7/14/2024 at 4:42 PM, barjpoe said:

Just renewed ours. also have a photographer in the family too, So we'll see how long it takes. They say 6-8 weeks, which is fine because our next cruise isn't until October 

Got our passport today.😀 Less then 2 weeks. A bit different then our old ones. The picture page is hard plastic and sort of black and white with the picture we sent is on another page in color.

Hi, please I need your help. I started my online application to renew my passport but in the check list to see if I can qualify for online renewal it says something like the passport cannot be more than 1 year expired. My passport is in 2020 expired and it was issued on 2010.

I renewed mine this way back in March 2023.  It was super easy and I was glad to be able to use the online application. I applied for it in January 2023 and it came back just in time for my April cruise. I wasn't sure if it would be back in time so I registered for the cruise with my passport card which still has a few years left on it. I took a photo using my cell phone while standing against a white background. It is important to remember that your current passport expires once they start processing your new one. 

4 hours ago, lovetotravel said:

I renewed mine this way back in March 2023.  It was super easy and I was glad to be able to use the online application. I applied for it in January 2023 and it came back just in time for my April cruise. I wasn't sure if it would be back in time so I registered for the cruise with my passport card which still has a few years left on it. I took a photo using my cell phone while standing against a white background. It is important to remember that your current passport expires once they start processing your new one. 

Can I ask how when the online portal just became available in 2024?

On 7/29/2024 at 8:09 PM, Rosy said:

Hi, please I need your help. I started my online application to renew my passport but in the check list to see if I can qualify for online renewal it says something like the passport cannot be more than 1 year expired. My passport is in 2020 expired and it was issued on 2010.

You will ned to renew by mail or in person.  If you don't do it soon, you will have to start over with a new application (expired 5 years or more is not renewable)