Freedom to be 39!! A B3B 5/13/24-5/24/24

Ampurp85

4 minutes ago, Mrscalvink669 said:

After a nap in CoCo Cay, we finally hit Rye & Bean for some caffeine. The espresso martini and the coconut cold brew are both excellent, beautiful view too! I should’ve taken advantage of this earlier. 

Psst... wrong live blog. What did you drink at CocoCay? 🙈

@calvink669, keep an eye on your better half, lol.

6 Days to go.........

I have been putting out fires at home and work. So, this vacation will be sorely needed 😂

I will have to work that Sunday morning before we cruise but I will be done no later than 2pm. 

Last Tues my fridge went out. We do have a chest freezer but that is for vacuum-sealed frozen food. The refrigerator is under warranty, so they must see if they can fix before they just give us a new one. The tech was supposed to come on Thurs, and he didn't show until today..........but he forgot an important tool, so he is on his way again🤬. Which pretty much means we won't have a new refrigerator until we get back. So, I have not only had to cook every day but go to the grocery store more often because nothing can be refrigerated. 

Since I don't normally cruise in May I had to do my Mother's Day tradition a week earlier. I treat my mother and grandmother to a spa day. Let me just say they have no problem getting mani/pedis and massages from stranger. But they refuse to allow anyone but me to touch their hair and face........I think it might be a culture thing. I normally give them a facial, scalp massage and trim, with styling. Thankfully they now share a house, with my grandmother staying on the first floor, so I only had to go to one location this year. My grandmother is all shenanigans all the time and I am not allowed to do anything while the Young and the Restless is on. Also, it is always five o clock, if you get my drift 🤣🤣😂.......which bothers my mother.

So, I went upstairs to her place to view the pile. My mother's mode of packing is to pile all her stuff on the dining room table, she never uses it, and then a few days beforehand just pick through and pack. It is a fairly neat pile but a pile, nonetheless. Also, she always has a list that she checks off as she goes through the pile, while talking to herself. It is really disorganized, organization. She is convinced that she will be moving to FL with her bf at the end of the year and will cruise enough to surpass me in loyalty levels. I am here for it if it happens, but I am 95% sure it won't.

I did finished packing. My brother, who for years has been the ultimate procrastinator, actually was packed before me. When we went to Egypt, he literally packed at like 2pm and our flight was at 8:30pm. We currently have five bags between us and only one will be checked. The checked luggage is at 38lbs, but I believe that after I do laundry tomorrow maybe one or two things will make their way in. If you have read my blogs with my brother, then you know he can eat. So, I must point out that over half of one luggage is "snacks." My brother needs his honey, sesame sticks and chocolate. I know a lot of people think how you can bring anything when the ship has so much food......but food isn't snacks 😉😂.

I did book hibachi for the third leg of the B2B. Izumi is exempt from the D+ BOGO and I knew I was going to want Izumi's. I didn't realize Freedom class ships have the same small sushi area as Voyager class ships. I think the hibachi lunch suits me better, as I usually get udon and teriyaki anyway. My brother had already planned just to get some a la carte rolls. Plus, yesterday it was like $33+grats, I get the shrimp and steak with hibachi, so that is a win. 

I have printed all the tags, but I am not making paper copies of the setsail. They never seem to work for me and it's just a waste. I will take screenshots of them instead on each person phone. My passport expires in Sept and the plan is to get it renewed as soon as I return from this cruise. I am bringing my BC as a backup since it is below the 6-month threshold. I went to get the photo done and they are $19!!!!!!!! I felt old because I could remember when they were only $12, and I thought that was expensive. 

I have downloaded this cruises books to the Kindle. The weather is looking good for Chicago and hot for the cruise. In the immortal words of SpongeBob "I'm ready!"

24 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I went to get the photo done and they are $19!!!!!!!! I felt old because I could remember when they were only $12, and I thought that was expensive. 

Ahaha this reminds me of when I realized what parking now costs at the Disneyland Resort. When I was going as a teen, parking was $8, now each car is $30!!! That math does not add up since $8 (2005) dollars would only be $13! 🙃

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

She is convinced that she will be moving to FL with her bf at the end of the year and will cruise enough to surpass me in loyalty levels

both lines in this sent me TO THE MOON 😂😂😂😂😂

21 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

This is just me, but I'd love to read a blog where mom and grandmother sail with you. 😅

i feel like we’d need to sponsor a cruise for her afterward to simply ~recover. 😂😂

My grandmother has a bit of a fear with water. Plus, she doesn't like to go no place that doesn't have Seagram's gin and Miller Lite. She will drink other gins but somehow, they are all inferior to Seagram's 😳.

I would love to get my grandmother to cruise, but every time I ask her, she backs out. I had finally gotten a yes and covid happened. She said God was telling her something, so........but whenever we do land-based vacations, the shenanigans are nonstop🤣. Plus, she feels like my fur baby is the only grandchild she will get out of me and if we all go, she can't watch her. 

On 4/17/2024 at 5:49 AM, Sweety said:

This B3B is why I booked one in 2025. Living in Chicago the airfare is getting expensive. I am trying to make Prime, since I have four more cruises this year.

It is getting crazy expensive :(.  And @Ampurp85 I agree that they have definitely decreased the number of flights and nonstop flights.  I might start looking at Milwaukee or Detroit to see if anything gets cheaper. Jane

16 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

My grandmother is all shenanigans all the time and I am not allowed to do anything while the Young and the Restless is on.

Don't mess around when the stories are on!! 😂

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Living in Chicago the airfare is getting expensive.

Oh it's the same everywhere- I'm REALLY considering the 18 hour drive to Miami for our December cruise- we already booked  a hotel in Ft Lauderdale the day before, assuming that's where we were flying into. BUT I can get a rental and just drive, stay at the hotel then drive to miami and drop the car off right near the port with  a shuttle or cheap uber ride to the port for about 1\4 of the price of flying there. 

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

It is getting crazy expensive :(.  And @Ampurp85 I agree that they have definitely decreased the number of flights and nonstop flights.  I might start looking at Milwaukee or Detroit to see if anything gets cheaper. Jane

I have too.

8 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Don't get your hopes up. DTW still has many options for non-stop flights to Florida, especially if you are willing to fly Delta, but they are so expensive now! Just looking at flights for our March 2025 cruise and it's about $650pp RT non-stop to/from DTW-MCO. That's for economy!

5 hours ago, ScottD said:

Oh it's the same everywhere- I'm REALLY considering the 18 hour drive to Miami for our December cruise- we already booked  a hotel in Ft Lauderdale the day before, assuming that's where we were flying into. BUT I can get a rental and just drive, stay at the hotel then drive to miami and drop the car off right near the port with  a shuttle or cheap uber ride to the port for about 1\4 of the price of flying there. 

Isn’t it sad that we have to start thinking of alternatives to flying ?  It’s almost as if “they” are trying to discourage our mobility.  [no need to return fire on ths comment…just a fleeting thought for a Wednesday morning]

6 hours ago, ScottD said:

Oh so you know how the stories work 🤣😂. When All my Children was airing, she was Mia for hours each day. 

The flights are getting out of hand, it's the main reason I have started doing B2Bs and S2Ss. I remember when you could fly for $50 to Miami during the week. My domestic business class flights used to be in the $200. Now it's almost $800 for a less than 4hr flight. To top it off there are less ideal flight times and too many connections. For me it is always cheaper to fly out of ORD/MDW, but I have to fly into smaller airports like FLL, LGB and EWR. 

14 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The flights are getting out of hand, it's the main reason I have started doing B2Bs and S2Ss. I remember when you could fly for $50 to Miami during the week. My domestic business class flights used to be in the $200. Now it's almost $800 for a less than 4hr flight. To top it off there are less ideal flight times and too many connections. For me it is always cheaper to fly out of ORD/MDW, but I have to fly into smaller airports like FLL, LGB and EWR. 

I usually book SWA the day the flights come out. I am booking March 2025, August 1, 2024. I am flying into Baltimore. The flights will be cheaper.

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If only I could 😔 one day that will probably be our strategy too if flights don't settle out. But cannot do it over the next few years.

I hear you, being a teacher puts a time and financial strain on vacations. My plan is to try to cruise for 2wks at a time, three times a year. This would make Pin very reachable in less than 7 or 8 more years........which is a couple of years from when I plan to retire. 

52 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

My plan is to try to cruise for 2wks at a time, three times a year.

My current plan is to cruise every break I get, so 4 times a year. That should get us to pin about a year or two after I retire in 2030. 🤞Hopefully Hubby does not pull the brakes on my plan, he doesn’t know he is an active participant lol

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

For me it is always cheaper to fly out of ORD/MDW, but I have to fly into smaller airports like FLL, LGB and EWR. 

i agree that FLL is a dink dink* airport BUT it is always easy to navigate and clean. (my thoughts on that other florida airport are WELL documented 😅

but i wouldn’t necessarily consider EWR a smaller airport?

…oh but united is my airline and EWR is a united hub. so it might be smaller for southwest and other non-united flights. 

but i agree with everyone; flights are insane. we usually use points or a combo of points and $$ to offset the cost a bit. 

(* an asquared17 term for small/tiny)

As a Canadian who lives in the middle of Canada (Winnipeg Manitoba to be specific) I consider it a great deal if I can get to Florida for less than $1000 cad. I am a teacher so fly during peak times and hate winter highway driving so will not drive to North Dakota for a flight in the winter. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:13 PM, Sweety said:

Chicago Public Schools keep changing our Spring break. This year Chicago is hosting the Democratic Convention. The opening of school is pushed back one week. I am looking for a cruise.

That makes it hard.  We are pushed way back this year for construction.  My district is in the northwest suburbs, and my husband teaches in the southern ones.  We can’t predict when our spring breaks will line up…it seems about 50/50. We are at the mercy of when the school calendars release, and my district is usually only a year at most ahead.  

UPDATE:  Jeff's district just freaking changed the calendar for next year.  Now that I researched stuff for spring break, turns out his will be the week after mine 😭Jane

46 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i agree that FLL is a dink dink* airport BUT it is always easy to navigate and clean. (my thoughts on that other florida airport are WELL documented 😅

but i wouldn’t necessarily consider EWR a smaller airport?

…oh but united is my airline and EWR is a united hub. so it might be smaller for southwest and other non-united flights. 

but i agree with everyone; flights are insane. we usually use points or a combo of points and $$ to offset the cost a bit. 

(* an asquared17 term for small/tiny)

I should have said smaller airports for the larger cities. I would fly into EWR when I am going to NY, the same way I fly into LGB for LA sometimes and definitely FLL over MIA.  I haven't been in years, and I know there has been some remodeling for EWR. ORD is also a united hub and the flights to EWR are still decently priced, but cruises are limited from port Liberty.

5 Days to go.......

Slight shenanigans update.

I love my mother, but she has doesn't listen syndrome. She is always brand new, as if she was a baby and never seen or heard of anything.

My mother has eliminated her pile, she called me all proud yesterday and said she finished packing. I was like cool 🥰. Then she was like "I like 5-day cruises but the 7n ones are better." I was like I agree, 7n cruises are a sweet spot, especially if you can add another one or two smaller ones. Then she goes "I wish this one was 7n" and I was like.........technically it is 🤔. She was like this is only 5n and I was nope. It's a connection of 3 smaller cruises and your two add up to 7 days. Brand new. She was floored that we were going for 7n and had only packed for 5, so now she has to repack. Yet.......she knew she was going to be gone from Monday-Monday, so the math is not mathing. I know my mother; she would have shown up with 29 pairs of underwear and 5 days' worth of clothes🤣😂

I feel like I create cruise fever at my job. I tell someone I won't be fully available because I am going to cruise. Then I find out some more people are going to cruise around the same time. Two of my co-workers are leaving tomorrow for Icon, I am so jelly. I really hope for their sake they don't have the pools closed for poop like the current sailing. 

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

That makes it hard.  We are pushed way back this year for construction.  My district is in the northwest suburbs, and my husband teaches in the southern ones.  We can’t predict when our spring breaks will line up…it seems about 50/50. We are at the mercy of when the school calendars release, and my district is usually only a year at most ahead.  Jane

This is crazy. Where I live they are released 4 years in advance. 

18 minutes ago, Kelseylovestocruise said:

It's like 1-2 here for my wife. Don't actually have the 2025-26 calendar yet so we have a spring break 2026 cruise booked based on an educated guess. 🙄

4 hours ago, Kelseylovestocruise said:

That's crazy lucky! lol

We don't even have our "official" school calendar yet for this coming 2024-2025 school year. The Ministry of Ontario puts out a "recommended" calendar for the next 5 upcoming years. School boards in Ontario usually follow the recommendation by the ministry, but there has been the odd time they don't.

16 hours ago, Kelseylovestocruise said:

As a Canadian who lives in the middle of Canada (Winnipeg Manitoba to be specific) I consider it a great deal if I can get to Florida for less than $1000 cad.

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Omg! @Jax complains about flying in from Calgary, but I think you win for the worst case scenario lol

Hang on; I still think I’m the winner on getting rear ended for flight costs.  I just pulled up flight prices for our upcoming trip in December and economy flex via WestJet is $2068 pp return on a direct flight from YYC to FLL. Thankfully I booked our flights back in February when they were released but even with a free companion voucher and using WJ dollars I paid an insane amount for Premium.  The problem with flying from YYC to Florida is that WestJet is the only carrier that flies direct to MCO and FLL and their prices reflect it.  

21 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's like 1-2 here for my wife. Don't actually have the 2025-26 calendar yet so we have a spring break 2026 cruise booked based on an educated guess. 🙄

We have next years (24-25) and that's it- which sucks because they decided last year that they would start school AFTER Labor day every year... unless they decide not to, so this upcoming school year starts a week before Labor day. I REALLY want to know when they start in '25 so I can book a trip- that last week before labor day has some good prices but I just know I'll book it and they'll decide to go back that week again.  BUT the new mayor really wants to start year round schooling here, so I think that's part of the delay, and a HUGE shift in our vacation plans going forward

On 5/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, Ampurp85 said:

6 Days to go.........

I have been putting out fires at home and work. So, this vacation will be sorely needed 😂

I will have to work that Sunday morning before we cruise but I will be done no later than 2pm. 

Last Tues my fridge went out. We do have a chest freezer but that is for vacuum-sealed frozen food. The refrigerator is under warranty, so they must see if they can fix before they just give us a new one. The tech was supposed to come on Thurs, and he didn't show until today..........but he forgot an important tool, so he is on his way again🤬. Which pretty much means we won't have a new refrigerator until we get back. So, I have not only had to cook every day but go to the grocery store more often because nothing can be refrigerated. 

Since I don't normally cruise in May I had to do my Mother's Day tradition a week earlier. I treat my mother and grandmother to a spa day. Let me just say they have no problem getting mani/pedis and massages from stranger. But they refuse to allow anyone but me to touch their hair and face........I think it might be a culture thing. I normally give them a facial, scalp massage and trim, with styling. Thankfully they now share a house, with my grandmother staying on the first floor, so I only had to go to one location this year. My grandmother is all shenanigans all the time and I am not allowed to do anything while the Young and the Restless is on. Also, it is always five o clock, if you get my drift 🤣🤣😂.......which bothers my mother.

So, I went upstairs to her place to view the pile. My mother's mode of packing is to pile all her stuff on the dining room table, she never uses it, and then a few days beforehand just pick through and pack. It is a fairly neat pile but a pile, nonetheless. Also, she always has a list that she checks off as she goes through the pile, while talking to herself. It is really disorganized, organization. She is convinced that she will be moving to FL with her bf at the end of the year and will cruise enough to surpass me in loyalty levels. I am here for it if it happens, but I am 95% sure it won't.

I did finished packing. My brother, who for years has been the ultimate procrastinator, actually was packed before me. When we went to Egypt, he literally packed at like 2pm and our flight was at 8:30pm. We currently have five bags between us and only one will be checked. The checked luggage is at 38lbs, but I believe that after I do laundry tomorrow maybe one or two things will make their way in. If you have read my blogs with my brother, then you know he can eat. So, I must point out that over half of one luggage is "snacks." My brother needs his honey, sesame sticks and chocolate. I know a lot of people think how you can bring anything when the ship has so much food......but food isn't snacks 😉😂.

I did book hibachi for the third leg of the B2B. Izumi is exempt from the D+ BOGO and I knew I was going to want Izumi's. I didn't realize Freedom class ships have the same small sushi area as Voyager class ships. I think the hibachi lunch suits me better, as I usually get udon and teriyaki anyway. My brother had already planned just to get some a la carte rolls. Plus, yesterday it was like $33+grats, I get the shrimp and steak with hibachi, so that is a win. 

I have printed all the tags, but I am not making paper copies of the setsail. They never seem to work for me and it's just a waste. I will take screenshots of them instead on each person phone. My passport expires in Sept and the plan is to get it renewed as soon as I return from this cruise. I am bringing my BC as a backup since it is below the 6-month threshold. I went to get the photo done and they are $19!!!!!!!! I felt old because I could remember when they were only $12, and I thought that was expensive. 

I have downloaded this cruises books to the Kindle. The weather is looking good for Chicago and hot for the cruise. In the immortal words of SpongeBob "I'm ready!"

Glad I read this, you just reminded me to download my books to my kindle for my May 18th cruise.

Haven’t used my Kindle on a ship in a while.  Do I need to do any settings like switch to airplane or ships Wi-Fi. I don’t have the internet package.

31 minutes ago, ScottD said:

We have next years (24-25) and that's it- which sucks because they decided last year that they would start school AFTER Labor day every year... unless they decide not to, so this upcoming school year starts a week before Labor day. I REALLY want to know when they start in '25 so I can book a trip- that last week before labor day has some good prices but I just know I'll book it and they'll decide to go back that week again.  BUT the new mayor really wants to start year round schooling here, so I think that's part of the delay, and a HUGE shift in our vacation plans going forward

Chicag0 had year round for a couple of years. i loved it. Took vacation in October, week before christmas, and spring break. I miss those days.

51 minutes ago, ScottD said:

We have next years (24-25) and that's it- which sucks because they decided last year that they would start school AFTER Labor day every year... unless they decide not to, so this upcoming school year starts a week before Labor day.

Yep, that's crappy.

Don't get me started on start dates... School starts in the 1st half of August here when it's 100 degrees. My wife technically starts work on August 2nd next year but if she does 3 extra days before that there's some benefit later in the school year so she usually does. That takes her back to the very end of July! Kids go back on 8/12 as if that's not bad enough.

Florida decided they would slowly move towards starting closer to Labor Day like up north a long time ago then changed their mind.

24 minutes ago, Sweety said:

Chicag0 had year round for a couple of years. i loved it. Took vacation in October, week before christmas, and spring break. I miss those days.

Florida is toying with that idea. I think 1-2 counties are testing it. I think parents are strongly against it.

2 hours ago, Gilley said:

Glad I read this, you just reminded me to download my books to my kindle for my May 18th cruise.

Haven’t used my Kindle on a ship in a while.  Do I need to do any settings like switch to airplane or ships Wi-Fi. I don’t have the internet package.

I would put it in airplane mode... it won't "roam" or incur charges, but it will save the battery if you don't need it to be connected to wifi, which you shouldn't if you have the books downloaded. I don't see any reason for it to need to be connected to ship wifi. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Don't get me started on start dates... School starts in the 1st half of August here when it's 100 degrees. My wife technically starts work on August 2nd next year but if she does 3 extra days before that there's some benefit later in the school year so she usually does. That takes her back to the very end of July! Kids go back on 8/12 as if that's not bad enough.

Yeah, so for the past few years, kids went back before Labor day, but almost every year it was so hot (and most of these city public schools have no AC) they would end up doing half days or cancelling all together. SO they decided like 2-3 years ago to start after Labor day, it was good for everyone, BUT for some reason this upcoming year is back to pre-labor day, so not really sure what the actual plan is anymore!  We have taken him out the past  two years and already will miss a few days this upcoming year as well, BUT for his last year or two of middle school, I'd rather he didn't miss a full week of school so would love to squeeze it in right before they go back if we can.