Island substitute

Going on a cruise next month,which includes a stop at Labadee. They removed Labadee to due to the unrest in Haiti and replaced it wth Nassau. I cant believe thats the best RCCL can come up with. If im not mistaken,Nassau was removed on some itineraries due to its own problems??

11 hours ago, Bill D said:

Going on a cruise next month,which includes a stop at Labadee. They removed Labadee to due to the unrest in Haiti and replaced it wth Nassau. I cant believe thats the best RCCL can come up with. If im not mistaken,Nassau was removed on some itineraries due to its own problems??

Many of the other potential options can't handle adding an extra ship on short notice. Port schedules are set years in advance for those with limited berthing/anchorage space.

7 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Just at Nassau today.  It’s not removed from itineraries. 

Not sure if you are one to get off the ship or not but how is the atmosphere around the port?  Are people getting off and walking around Bay St?  Curious because there will be 14 of us walking from the port to Margaritaville next month.  I’m asking this more for my daughter than for myself.  I tend to be very low on the worry scale…my daughter (perhaps cuz she is such an awesome Mommy) is much higher on that scale!  😜 

13 hours ago, Bill D said:

Nassau has not been removed from any itineraries. It's fine.  It's better than another sea day like some are getting.  

39 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Disagree b/c some people will get off in Nassau and leave the ship a bit emptier when you stay on. 😁

EXACTLY! It's a win win... people who want to get off and do beaches or shopping can do that... and it allows people who'd rather be on the ship to go ahead and stay on board and enjoy an emptier ship than they would in a sea day. 

4 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I disagree. Another sea day>>>Nassau.

I disagree with this 🙂 

A day in Nassau, means people with get off the ship and let us treat it like a sea day, but with fewer people 🙂

We barely get off in Nassau, just long enough to go mail our postcard.  the ship is basically a ghost town and we get to hang out and chill.  

On 4/3/2024 at 8:14 PM, Bill D said:

??? Considering this is not exactly the same as parallel parking a car, I think the company pivoted to an available port. The logistics are planned many months if not years in advance. Nassau does not happen to be the only spot they changed itinerary’s to as we are headed to Turks and Caicos in place of Labadee. 

39 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

And T&C seems limited in which ships can go there since I don't think anything bigger than Voyager class has stopped there.

I'm going to port at Grand Turk tomorrow on Independence. I'm not sure if they could do anything bigger, though.

3 hours ago, Austin said:

My cruise on Wonder replaced Labadee with a second day in the DR.

My symphony trip in two weeks is going to Falmouth...yuck. That's ok. I will get off the ship for an hour or so and then get back on and enjoy an emptier ship. The kids will enjoy less lines at the waterslide, and I will take advantage of the deluxe drink package.

Finding an alternate port on short notice is like playing a game of musical chairs but coming to the game late after many other cruise lines are already seated.

In a perfect world they would find a berth open somewhere close to Labadee so they wouldn't have to completely redo the entire itinerary.  Cruise ships are slow.  They can't cover great distances quickly.  An available port that is too distant doesn't help them at all.  

Nassau has many berths and it's relatively close to Florida making it the best choice for some itineraries impacted by the situation in Haiti. 

In other cases Jamaica is relatively close to Labadee so if a ship was already passing by this area and Falmouth has space then it's a best choice for this situation. 

Grand Turk was developed with an investment from Carnival so they likely have priority there.  On days when it's available and if it fits due to proximity it is the best choice for some itineraries.   

The DR may work best in some cases.

Once you start looking at more distant alternate ports they would have to completely change the itinerary but given how many ships from all cruise lines are competing for ports completely re-doing an itinerary is a tall order and very disruptive to guests.  In some cases an extra sea day is the only choice.