On 3/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, Vacation Crazy said:

Haiti's government declared a 72-hour state of emergency on Sunday after armed gangs stormed a major prison.

I love Labadee but I'm glad we don't have any upcoming stops here. I realize it is an an isolated part of Haiti but question the safety right now.  If the gangs can storm a "major prison" what's stopping them here.  

Perhaps the might of the US military would be on their mind considering the targets would mostly be American tourists? One term “DEVGRU” would most certainly be of major concern to a Haitian Gang considering raiding Labadee…..

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Perhaps the might of the US military would be on their mind considering the targets would mostly be American tourists? One term “DEVGRU” would most certainly be of major concern to a Haitian Gang considering raiding Labadee…..

The US has sent troops into Haiti before and it was of little benefit, they aren't going to do it again.

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

The US has sent troops into Haiti before and it was of little benefit, they aren't going to do it again.

Sending troops in to Haiti to "bring freedom" (😅) is totally different than bringing them in on a counterterrorism raid to free/protect thousands of Americans and other allied country's nationals. They would absolutely go in the form of the latter, and I sure as hell hope they would. 

On 3/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

Actually the scan I was having yesterday morning while having this Haiti debate ended in me being told I have a lump on my left lung. So I guess I'm not totally OK? Still processing.

Still keeping my focus on my May 4th Icon trip. And enjoy (most) of my time here. It fills my mind and time. 

Wow! More than I'm sure you were asking for. LOL. Kinda so full I think I just verbally tossed my cookies folks. Sorry. 

I hope you can enjoy your cruise vacation on Icon - and have a swift and uneventful treatment and recovery!!

On 3/7/2024 at 7:09 AM, ScottD said:

These gangs have to traverse mountains, un-paved roads and forests in order to get from Port Au Prince to Labadee...it would take them a day or more of VERY rough terrain. There is no real reason for them to even bother going that far west on the island when they are already accomplishing what they want without moving far from the capital.  I'm more concerned walking to my car at 4am in Philadelphia every day than I would ever be in the secure, secluded area called Labadee. IF you don't feel safe or right about having fun on the other side of a country having issues, then you do you. But like many said, those few locals that do work in Labadee selling stuff would suffer far more if the ships stopped coming. 

I am curious, do you know how long of a boat ride it is from Port Au Prince to Labadee in your average fishing boat?  

1 hour ago, ilove10sandcruising said:

I am curious, do you know how long of a boat ride it is from Port Au Prince to Labadee in your average fishing boat?  

I am curious, what do you think exists on Labadee that these people would even venture there ?

One quick update here... It seems at the very least Royal is changing the availability of some excursions.

I'm going on Odyssey in 2 weeks and in our Facebook group multiple people are reporting that Royal has cancelled their Labadee excursions (jet skiing and kayaking). Someone else has said their cabana hasn't been cancelled, so perhaps they're just limiting the excursions that venture off the coast but are still bringing people to the port.

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

One quick update here... It seems at the very least Royal is changing the availability of some excursions.

I'm going on Odyssey in 2 weeks and in our Facebook group multiple people are reporting that Royal has cancelled their Labadee excursions (jet skiing and kayaking). Someone else has said their cabana hasn't been cancelled, so perhaps they're just limiting the excursions that venture off the coast but are still bringing people to the port.

I am 3 weeks out and scheduled to be there on April 2.  We have not heard anything yet for that trip, but I was kind of expecting something to happen.  Looks like they are trying to keep people close to the ship/port just in case.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For the time being I wouldn't be surprised if insurance or other powers that be suggested they don't allow any guests to have any opportunity to leave the "island" which is all those boating tours.

I would agree.  I can imagine the emails going back and forth between lawyers and insurance providers right now.  I am just going to go wherever the wind takes me on this one and not worry too much.

1 hour ago, TexanTwoStep said:

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the turmoil and Haiti will be able to start the rebuilding process.

Not political, just an observation. Since before I was born, Haiti has known nothing but turmoil. I was 4 (1957) when' Papa Doc' Duvalier came to power............and the state of affairs of the country have deteriorated further since; if that's even possible. 😥

56 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Not political, just an observation. Since before I was born, Haiti has known nothing but turmoil. I was 4 (1957) when' Papa Doc' Duvalier came to power............and the state of affairs of the country have deteriorated further since; if that's even possible. 😥

Oh I know.  I worked extensively down there when they had the earthquake/hurricane combo in 2010.  They country is worse off than Cuba in my opinion.

I remember when CruiseHive used to just present the news instead of editorializing everything.

Labadee is not a troubled destination. It just happens to be in a troubled country.

Though I still see those types of activities available for my stop there on Sunday, though they all show as "sold out"

On 3/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, DunkelBierJay said:

A visit to Labadee is perfectly fine. To get a picture of the travel from Port au Prince to the north, a Youtuber, Indigo Traveller attempted to make the trip to Cape Hatien with a guide and was unsuccessful because of the quality of the road and demonstrations along the way.

Cape Hatien, is close to Labadee on the north coast and is known to be much much safer than Port au Prince which is currently in a state of virtual anarchy.

Since 2015, I can only recall one instance that Royal suspended stops there, and I believe some striking workers were demonstrating outside the gate to the peninsula.

Curious what the video title is for Indigo Traveller? I pulled up his Haiti series but it wasn't clear in which video he tries to get to Cape Hatien.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:21 PM, Geezer Of The Seas said:

A quick read of the Internet & Wikipedia last night revealed that political situation in Haiti has indeed disrupted port calls to Labadee. 20004 due to a coup and Freedom of the Seas called off a visit in 2016 when boats occupied by citizens blockaded the the entrance to the harbor.

I also want to add port stops were cancelled in 2021 when the President was assassinated. We were on Odyssey that year and sure enough, a week before our trip Labadee was changed to Nassau due to the situation in Haiti. I had somewhat expected it and had been keeping an eye on things after seeing the news while in the gym. I imagine there are multiple factors that play into a cancellation, not just the physical safety at Labadee, but also the safety of the local staff, the safety of the ship on arrival and departure, the increased chances of stowaways, the ability of staff to get to work...heck the security monitoring Labadee may also have been pulled to deal with local unrest too.

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Curious what the video title is for Indigo Traveller? I pulled up his Haiti series but it wasn't clear in which video he tries to get to Cape Hatien.

I also want to add port stops were cancelled in 2021 when the President was assassinated. We were on Odyssey that year and sure enough, a week before our trip Labadee was changed to Nassau due to the situation in Haiti. I had somewhat expected it and had been keeping an eye on things after seeing the news while in the gym. I imagine there are multiple factors that play into a cancellation, not just the physical safety at Labadee, but also the safety of the local staff, the safety of the ship on arrival and departure, the increased chances of stowaways, the ability of staff to get to work...heck the security monitoring Labadee may also have been pulled to deal with local unrest too.

I watched the whole series, but I think I recall it was his last video because he was nearing the end of his content. I may be wrong. He seemed pretty bummed about it.

3 hours ago, WAYNO said:

"Oh," but they said.  "This would never happen. " How dare you folks ask such a silly question?"  😉

I still don't think that area in general is in danger, but it's more to ease everyones mind at this point. @Doug_Texasmentions violence in Cap-Haitien, but I can't find info on that anywhere. 

Bayley: 

We have suspended calls into Labadee, Haiti for the next 7 days and will continue suspension on a rolling basis with 3 days advance notification to our guests sailing on itineraries impacted and changed as we monitor and evaluate the situation in Haiti.