laundry bag

Regarding the laundry bag you can fill up for $30 -- I read mixed messages about what are allowed in the bag. Some says only underwear, tees, PJ, etc., no pants or shirts. Other say no restriction (of course nothing fancy like dresses). Is there a rule? Shorts? Capris? I am trying to figure out how much to pack.

I wish RCL has laundry room onboard. :(

Thanks!!!

Guest toodle68

We used it during our last cruise and filled the bag with underwear, socks, teeshirts, shorts etc.. We actually managed to stuff a lot of items in there. Came back the next day folded.  We were supposed to itemize all the contents but we didn't.  You might be able to put in dress pants etc, but it would take up a lot of room and come back un-ironed. Cheaper to just dry clean those.  I did not have to launder my shirts or dress pants since I wear the pants multiple times and an undershirt (which gets laundered) for the shirts.

I don't think there is a limit on what you can have laundered....but as others have suggested, I limit my laundry to cotton items that have no particular emotional or financial value.

Just a note....they use the most obnoxious stick'ems [tags] on your laundry items.  Not sure what they are exactly, I just know that they attach them to your clothes (presumably for identification purposes) and in some cases, they're nearly impossible to detach !  ...and they will poke and chafe you relentlessly if you cannot remove them.

I've never had anything lost of damaged.

There is a stated limit to what's included, but you could probably get away with shorts, but not pants. We primarily use it for socks and underwear on long cruises as we tend to do pre/post cruise stays as well. Last time we had 34 pieces crammed into the bag, mostly pairs of socks (counted as 1 in the 34) and underwear. I might have thrown in a t-shirt or two as well, but honestly don't remember as I don't really trust them with anything that might shrink and you have to be protective of the blog t-shirts when you only have 6 of them. :)

It definitely says on the sheet what the bag is limited to.  Whether or not they will cause a problem for you if you put pants/jeans in there is another question.

The bag is rather small, so pants take up a lot of space.  If you do just t-shirts, undergarments and socks you can really stuff that bag effectively.

On my cruise in March 2017 I did laundry. RCCL gave me a paper bag. I put in one pair of jeans and two pairs of underwear and the bag ripped in half. Asked the cabin steward for another bag and he brought me a plastic bag that was much larger. I was able to get in all of my unmentionables, a pair of capris and a pair of jeans and two tee shirts, thanks to the steward.

My cruise in May I just asked for a laundry bag from the cabin steward and again got a bigger and better bag that held more, so I will keep asking the steward for the bags.

I agree with WAAAY TOOO!!!, the tags that they put on the garments I had laundered had to be cut off, I don't take a pair of scissors with me on a cruise (because Customs would take them from me) so I had no way of getting the tags off. I went to Guest Services and asked to borrow a pair of scissors.

Candie

Maybe it's me, but after my first cruise experience where I realized that a Walmart sized bag costs $30 to have laundered, I found it rather easy to pack extra socks/underwear/tee's. I'll pay $30 for a souvenir, or 2 drinks, or lunch at Johnnie Rockets, but I refuse to pay $30 to wash a few t shirts. Ironically, I find the dry cleaning services onboard to be quite reasonable for those dressier items. 

I've used the laundry multiple times, on different cruises, usually extended stay vacations like Doc and never had any problem, I can't say that I logged in and reviewed my bill to make sure they only charged me the $30. One year I had to send in multiple pants and dress shirts and got worried because part of the order showed up one day but not everything, when I spoke to the cabin steward he said that I had a ripped hem on one pair of my pants and I had to acknowledge the rip, which I did, the pants were back the same day.

While the laundry deal can be convenient, it can be pricy especially in long cruises where you may not on enough socks and underwear or have the luggage space. Some lines still have laundry facilities aboard which I like as I can control how my clothes are laundered (e.g., temperature). Princess, for instance had laundry rooms, and for $6 you can wash and dry a full load of laundry. 

2 hours ago, DocLC said:

While the laundry deal can be convenient, it can be pricy especially in long cruises where you may not on enough socks and underwear or have the luggage space.

My biggest issue with the bag special is not the price, but the turn around time.  Seems to take a couple days, so unless you get them in by like day 3 or 4, not much point for a 7 night cruise.

I'm not sure how the "complimentary" D+ bag of laundry fits into this scheme (not sure if it is the standard bag size or a different bag size) but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how this amenity works.  Each ship seems to have a different rule.  On some ships, you must ask your attendant "which day is laundry day" and they will tell you when you can set out your "free" bag of laundry.  On some ships, when you ask that question, the answer is "whenever you want it".

Some bags are paper, some bags are plastic.  I really don't know which bag is which...I just know that we have never been charged for laundry (we've never submitted more than 1 bag - whichever happens to be handy...except when we're in Star class.  Every day is laundry day in Star Class !!) so I'm guessing it really doesn't matter which one you use.

1 hour ago, Mushroom said:

Well, the US $34.99 per bag laundry charge is even higher than airline's fee for a checked luggage! I guess I am just going to pack my whole closest then! :)

(Seems like I have to pack 20 t-shirts, let alone other stuff! Geesh!)

All you need are swim trunks and a t-shirt. They're allowed anywhere you want to go on the ship, even the main dining room. ;) <jk>

I have also found after all these cruises we've been on so far that often times, you find yourself wearing an item for a very short period of time. If you shower, wear a dress shirt to dinner, then take it off after dinner, hang it back up, I don't see any reason why that shirt can't be worn again later in the week. Yes, I admit, I'm a re-wearer. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I once had a two week business trip with no laundry service.   I packed some large zip lock bags and a small bottle of liquid detergent.   Put underwear in bag with water and small amount of detergent, sealed the bag and sloshed it around.   Rinsed  in a separate bag then sink.   Used towel to press dry.   Worked so well I ended doing a couple of pairs of pants-they did take longer to dry.   

Am I the only one who sometimes washes socks and underwear in the bathroom and allows them to drip dry?  And with a balcony room, there is usually sunshine outside.

That way I don't need to use their laundry service unless there is something special that needs cleaning.  Just a thought.

At Walmart where all of the small travel containers are sold (toiletries, etc.) I bought some small empty plastic bottles that I am intending to put laundry detergent in. Then I got to thinking about airline regulations. What would the airlines do or say about several unmarked bottles of detergent? Anybody?

35 minutes ago, rtread said:

At Walmart where all of the small travel containers are sold (toiletries, etc.) I bought some small empty plastic bottles that I am intending to put laundry detergent in. Then I got to thinking about airline regulations. What would the airlines do or say about several unmarked bottles of detergent? Anybody?

In your checked bag, no one cares. In your carryon, you have to follow the liquids rules.

• 3 months later...

In May we used the bag of laundry and stuffed it full including items not listed such as sun dresses.  Last night of cruise while packing we had to track it down because it was never delivered.  They separated the clothes from the original bag and didn't have a name on it.  Laundry was locked up and they had to find someone to unlock it and look for our clothes.  A little scary but we got them all back.