Up, Up, and Away Balloon?

JFCruise

I'm going to Coco Cay next week and I had previously bought the UUA balloon trip or whatever you want to call it. But then about a month ago I received an email telling me that the product had been cancelled. I got refunded correctly, that was no issue at all.

But I've been curious since, and haven't found any information, as to why they might have cancelled it? I went back to the Planner and it the 'excursion' doesn't even appear. And a sorta lazy Google search doesn't provide any news items on a possible malfunction or whatever.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on with the balloon?

Very weather dependent related to wind conditions.    I've done it once, but other times the breezes closed it down.  Of course could be for other reasons.   World helium supplies have been very low (hence very expensive) since the pandemic and it might actually might not be cost effective for operate at this time - that's just a guess.  

It's closed for a at least few months due to Maintenance. I wonder if they are actually doing something to make it a little more stable in light wind, or if they are just replacing it altogether. I doubt they'd replace it since it seems to be the focal point of most promotional pics, so hoping they are just adding some lines or a track or something that will allow it to fly in the light wind that usually grounds it. 

Probably don't want folks taking pictures of their new Hideaway adult only beach area under construction so they grounded it.  

The other thought is that sea air probably corrodes the mechanicals a lot faster than the same balloons at Disney in Orlando and other places around the country that are inland.  Salty sea air destroys even the best stainless steel in short order.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Probably don't want folks taking pictures of their new Hideaway adult only beach area under construction so they grounded it.  

The other thought is that sea air probably corrodes the mechanicals a lot faster than the same balloons at Disney in Orlando and other places around the country that are inland.  Salty sea air destroys even the best stainless steel in short order.

Never even thought of the Adults only area thing..this makes sense!  These balloon things never seem to operate correctly, we had one in Philly at the Zoo-- you'd see that thing WAY up in the air from the Expressway, but apparently it was down for mechanical issues regularly and they eventually got rid of it. 

I think the hot air balloon was one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" things.  The reality is that maintaining this attraction is just waaay more trouble than it is worth....IMO.  I expect them to remove it altogether at some point and put something else there where they can actually make some money.

I was consistently booking the balloon and it was consistently being cancelled. The one time I didn't book it went up. After seeing it go up, I realized I dodged a bullet. It is less than 5min total that you are up in the air. When I was booking it was $35ish and then by early 2022 it was in the $50s on Black Friday sales.......now it is $70+.

• 2 weeks later...