Anniversary Tales – Episode XXI: From Galaxy’s Edge to the Wondrous Seas – WN 7/23/23 – 7/30/23

Lovetocruise2002

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

we don't want every single suitcase opened and sprawled out in the hotel room pre-cruise. The goal is to organize it so that we only open 1-2 suitcases.

This is a legitimate strategy.  When we stay in hotels (much less often these days) we do the same.  The big suitcases remain CLOSED.  Only our overnight bags are breached.

I do this as well. I pack my packing cubes according to how I travel. If I take a big suitcase and a carry-on. I don't open the big one until I am at my final destination. Last cruise with the vintages they were all in a tizzy because they had to repack after our pre cruise hotel stay. I was done with packing up my room in 10min and spent 40min helping them. I taught my brother the trick this Jan and he was so grateful as he always has to repack. Systems are great.

We have a system as well! The little roller bags stay in tact, the back packs are fair game. I do realize with every sailing, the more I cruise the less I pack. I still don't wear everything I bring and you guys know we bring the small luggage. I learned from @Lovetocruise2002 though & even Cabash abides....we pack our backpacks in a way that in case something happens to the main little one, we could make it work with the essentials. I always have Sabrina and her huge smile in my head while packing, she had no luggage but still having the best time. She was a great cabin neighbor! The @Lovetocruise2002 family emitted JOY no matter where they were. 🤩

I can't wait to see this cabin....Let's Go!

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

She was a great cabin neighbor! The @Lovetocruise2002 family emitted JOY no matter where they were. 🤩

We miss you guys! Hubby still reminds me from time to time that others (meaning you guys) approve of his Labadee hideout when I roll my eyes at him. But we won't speak of that 🤫

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

I can't wait to see this cabin....Let's Go!

You all, and I, will have to endure some Orlando/Disney pics first lol

2 hours ago, Neesa said:

I always have Sabrina and her huge smile in my head while packing, she had no luggage but still having the best time.

This is not entirely true. I didn’t have “no luggage”, just not “all my luggage”. 

We speak of this so often I thought I would show you all how I managed to survive that whole week without my checked bag during that March 2022 fiasco. 

This is how I pack like I am going to lose my checked bag:

21 inch carry on comes with me on the plane. It contains all my clothes for the entire trip minus the “dress bag”. In this carry on, there are also a few back up outfits that can be used for dinner in case the “dress bag” does not make it. The “dress bag” contains only my dresses for dinners. I also carry what I consider essential with me in this carry on, my T3 blow dryer, and curling iron. 
IMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.d8dbc43486faf9fa1b7ef7711bad7ce1.jpeg

In my carry on personal item (and before you ask, yes, I can get this to fit under the seat in economy), all those shoes you saw from yesterday are now tucked away in the bottom compartment of this bag (see arrow). 
IMG_7759.thumb.jpeg.39dbb7e266afac52ef369fa4c1531689.jpeg

This still leaves me a ton of space to carry whatever allotment I am allowed by TSA for liquids, my vitamins and Gravol, makeup, etc. 

IMG_7760.thumb.jpeg.db09ec4a0c53602be1169e8b133b420b.jpeg

The only things going in that checked bag is the “dress bag”, liquids and hair products that don’t make the 3oz cut, and whatever Hubby puts in it. 

So back to what @Neesawas saying, strategic packing means that you can still make do when the worst happens. Good luggage helps too! I love my Beis travel products! 

Another example of how wonky Royal's system is and how the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

I never shared that before our Symphony cruise this past December, we were booked in a Crown Loft with the kids and I was really hoping for a Royal Up to the ATS. There was one available and I was watching it but the price was nuts. Anyway, because we had the kids with us on that one, I actually bid max on the ATS in hopes that we would win it. Well, you know how the story went for that one. We did not win it but what did happen was a few weeks before that sailing, I actually got a welcome email from the one of the Genies for the ATS (the one that was open). I told my TA and Hubby that it was so cruel, like rubbing salt into the wound lol. Anyway, I had to email the Genie back and tell him that there must have been some mix up because we had not won the Royal Up and we were still in the Crown Loft.

Fast forward to now, 7 months later....

Tonight just before dinner, I checked my email and what do I find? A welcome email from the Wonder Suite Concierge team for suite 1828. I had to check my account again to make sure I did not dream the events of the last few days lol.

I just sent an email back to them much like I sent the Genie on Symphony in December...sorry for the mix up but I am not in that room lol

Anyway, here is the welcome suite email for Sky Class if anyone wants to see what it contains.

Dear ___,

Our names are Noorina & Norman and we are your Sky Suite Concierges. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard the Wonder of the Seas on Sunday, July 23rd. We hope you’re ready for a wonderful cruise vacation with us.

If you’ve not already done so, please check in online and select your preferred arrival time using the Royal Caribbean App. Suite guests can enjoy Flexible Arrival which allows you the freedom to check-in up to one hour before or after your scheduled check-in time while the terminal is open.

We also recommend that you plan ahead and make reservations for your dining, shows, onboard activities, shore excursions and Vitality Spa services. You may do so using your Cruise Planner or Royal App. If you require any assistance, we are happy to help you.

Our desk is in the Suite Lounge, located on Deck 17 aft. Our hours during boarding day are from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and day two onwards from 8:00 am to 11:30 am, and 4:30 pm until 8:00 pm. We are also reachable via email, or by dialing our phone 26154 / 26156 from your Suite or any house phone.

While onboard, you’ll have access to the following exclusive amenities and services:

• The Suite Lounge is exclusively for Suite guests and accessible with your Sky Class SeaPass card.
  • The dress code in the Suite Lounge is smart casual (suggested), so please make sure you pack accordingly.
  •  Coffee and tea are available in the Lounge throughout the day. Hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary wine, spirits, beer, and soft drinks are available for our Suite guests every evening from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
  • Guests under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

· As a Sky Suite guest, you’ll have exclusive access to the suites-only restaurant, Coastal Kitchen. Please refer to the Cruise Compass for the hours of operation or reach out to us for assistance. Reservations are required for dinner.

· Your suite is stocked with Malin & Goetz bath amenities, a Lavazza espresso coffee machine, bathrobes for your use onboard, and is furnished with a luxurious pillow-top mattress.

· Sky guests have will receive complementary VOOM Surf and Stream services for one device per person for the entire sailing. Attached in this email are detailed instructions on how to connect your device. These instructions will also be in your suite upon arrival.

· Enjoy the exclusive Suite Sun Deck on Deck 18 aft. Lounge chairs are available to suite guests on a first come, first serve basis.

· Sky guests are entitled to a reserved seating section in the Main Theater. Reservations are available once you arrive onboard, which we will be happy to assist you with.

· We are happy to offer our Suite guests Priority Departure. we’ll explain the details to you when you arrive onboard.

Please feel free to email us with any questions that you may have. We look forward to meeting you in person!

All the best,

12 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We did not win it but what did happen was a few weeks before that sailing, I actually got a welcome email from the one of the Genies for the ATS (the one that was open). I told my TA and Hubby that it was so cruel, like rubbing salt into the wound lol. Anyway, I had to email the Genie back and tell him that there must have been some mix up because we had not won the Royal Up and we were still in the Crown Loft.

Salt in the wound? That's more like soul sucking .....

23 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Our hours during boarding day are from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and day two onwards from 8:00 am to 11:30 am, and 4:30 pm until 8:00 pm.

Unpopular opinion alert:  this was one of my turnoffs to our first Royal cruise in a suite (2008). We expected to go right to the concierge lounge upon boarding as we do on Holland, Disney, Norwegian .... we didn't get why Royal didn't have a place for suite guests to relax and take care of any last minute things. I get they do it by email now and things can be booked online, but they wasn't the case at the time, and it was just .... well, an  unimpressive start.  Then when the concierges WERE available, the line to see them was ages. 

17 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Unpopular opinion alert:  this was one of my turnoffs to our first Royal cruise in a suite (2008). We expected to go right to the concierge lounge upon boarding as we do on Holland, Disney, Norwegian .... we didn't get why Royal didn't have a place for suite guests to relax and take care of any last minute things. I get they do it by email now and things can be booked online, but they wasn't the case at the time, and it was just .... well, an  unimpressive start.  Then when the concierges WERE available, the line to see them was ages. 

The suite lounge is always open for those who want a place to wait and relax. We have done this many times.

As far as the hours stated above, when the actual concierges are available, I have found that it depends on the concierge team. I have seen a few good ones in the past who are there on boarding day, outside their stated hours, helping guests.

I guess you could say this is another thing that varies, just like genies. Some go the extra mile, some not so much. 

But yes, I agree with you. If a concierge is supposed to be “guest services” for suite guests, then they should have slightly longer hours. Or at least one of them should be there.

28 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The suite lounge is always open for those who want a place to wait and relax.

Thanks for responding kindly. I'm always concerned how i sound on a fan site. 🤣

On our cruise, the area leading to the lounge was roped off. And they had crew manning the ropes. I said we were just looking for the lounge and we were told it wasn't open. Maybe we got misinformed crew, who knows. So we sat in a lounge at first, but realized the bar wasn't open, and we were actually asked to lift our legs so they could vacuum 😀. Like i said, not an auspicious start, compared to our other suite cruises. 

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

On our cruise, the area leading to the lounge was roped off. And they had crew manning the ropes. I said we were just looking for the lounge and we were told it wasn't open. Maybe we got misinformed crew, who knows. So we sat in a lounge at first, but realized the bar wasn't open, and we were actually asked to lift our legs so they could vacuum 😀. Like i said, not an auspicious start, compared to our other suite cruises. 

Oh my. I would not have liked that either. That must have been a one off because that has never since 2017 (when I fell down that deep hole called “suites” lol) happened to us once. 

2 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Now on the older ships or Quantum where you don't get your cards until later, the room cannot be accessed very easily upon embarkation.  You have to wait for someone with a key or knock on the door to see if others are in there.

Leaving in 2 days!

Current status:

- I am about 80% packed and ready to go. There's always those last minute items that cannot be packed until the day of.

- Hubby 0% packed. Last night I asked him if he has a plan for packing because I have to go to bed early from now until we leave (D14 started volunteering at camp today and I am her driver until Wednesday morning). I told Hubby he cannot be packing with the lights on and everything while I am trying to sleep. You can guess his answer right? He is 0% packed and has zero plan at the moment. 😔

- The next 2 days are making sure the house is in order before we leave. Heading to the pool store to stock up on chlorine and pool supplies so that D16 can keep the pool clean while we are gone.

- Important things happening tomorrow like mani/pedi 😉

- Hubby works until 2pm on Wednesday and the plan is to head over to Detroit shortly after that.

- Hannah said that she will send over a schedule by Thursday for us to look over and make changes if necessary. I have noticed that this step really varies by each genie. Some genies send it out so early and adjust it as we get closer to sail date. We had one genie who literally sent it out the morning of sailing. And the rest somewhere in between.

Need some advice from those who are following along. Please chime in if you have an opinion.

Is Mason Jar and Hooked worth it for lunch? Or is it pretty much the same as dinner?

We are already doing dinner there for sure (at each place) but there are 3 sea days and we are still debating how to use the 3 sea day lunches. We are huge Izumi fans so one of those days we will go to Izumi, but trying to decide if we should use the other two for Mason Jar lunch and Hooked lunch?

Also, any Florida/Orlando locals who are following this ever been to El Patron (12167 S Apopka Vineland Rd) for dinner? Is it good? It has decent TripAdvisor and Google reviews and those of you who know us know that we are always on the hunt for fried ice cream and they have it! Besides, how can I resist a name like "El Patron"? 😂

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Is Mason Jar and Hooked worth it for lunch? Or is it pretty much the same as dinner?

Mason Jar is brunch and we loved it so much we plan to eat there on every Wonder cruise we have booked (4 so far, lol). It is different from dinner b/c they have breakfast items like peanut butter stuffed french toast, red velvet pancakes, giant cinnamon roll, etc. Some items are from the dinner menu too.

Here's a direct link to my review while onboard and if you scroll to the end of my blog there are tons of food pics.

30 minutes ago, MLH said:

I haven't been to either as well, but since they are on limited ships, I would eat for lunch to try different things. When we were on Allure I did Sabor for lunch and dinner becasue I know it may not be there much longer.  

If my wife was less picky, I'd do the same thing. Fortunately she likes some southern food (very similar restaurant at Disney by us that we really like).

I only got to go to Sabor (for dinner) on Harmony last year b/c my SIL booked it for the extended family. Most of our family doesn't even eat Mexican, lol, but we all wound up loving a few of the apps and kept reordering them and we liked the dessert too, so it didn't matter that we didn't love the entrees.

Given my preference to only sail from PC, I'm glad I got to try it, b/c there's a good chance I won't see it again like you said (yes, Allure will be here, but we went Wonder-crazy in our future bookings).

44 minutes ago, MLH said:

but since they are on limited ships, I would eat for lunch to try different things.

That was our thinking as well. Well "my thinking" anyway. Hubby could not think past the Yaki Udon noodles that he loves from the Izumi menu lol.

45 minutes ago, MLH said:

I did Sabor for lunch and dinner becasue I know it may not be there much longer

Funny you mention Sabor, we have only ever done it for lunch. We have never been tempted to do it for dinner because like @OCSC Mike said, we like the apps there but not much stands out to us for dinner type food. We love Mexican restaurants, but for dinner we like Fajitas & Chimichangas and Sabor doesn't have either of those.

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Funny you mention Sabor, we have only ever done it for lunch. We have never been tempted to do it for dinner because like @OCSC Mike said, we like the apps there but not much stands out to us for dinner type food. We love Mexican restaurants, but for dinner we like Fajitas & Chimichangas and Sabor doesn't have either of those.

The entrees were not good. I got some type of burrito, I think, and it was the weirdest looking burrito ever. It was like a skinny little roll up.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It is almost a guarantee that Hubby will be there! lol

I hardly got to visit last month because the family doesn't eat like me and they weren't interested in leaving the suite neighborhood (snobs, lol).

I popped in during breakfast or lunch a few times but never even saw dinner b/c I was too busy taking advantage of happy hour in the SL and then we ate in CK at 6 followed by a show pretty much every night. We will definitely go there most nights when alone, sometimes before or after a meal elsewhere just to check it out. Never know when there might be a random item that looks appealing.

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

I hardly got to visit last month because the family doesn't eat like me and they weren't interested in leaving the suite neighborhood (snobs, lol).

I popped in during breakfast or lunch a few times but never even saw dinner b/c I was too busy taking advantage of happy hour in the SL and then we ate in CK at 6 followed by a show pretty much every night. We will definitely go there most nights when alone, sometimes before or after a meal elsewhere just to check it out. Never know when there might be a random item that looks appealing.

We're the reverse. Hubby and kids almost always make it into the WJ because they get up too late to eat breakfast with me in CK. Also, Hubby always tries to wander through at night to see if he can catch Mongolian night.

51 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We're the reverse. Hubby and kids almost always make it into the WJ because they get up too late to eat breakfast with me in CK. Also, Hubby always tries to wander through at night to see if he can catch Mongolian night.

I miss the special stuff you used to randomly find in WJ. We still talk about this one chocolate dessert spread from years ago. White, milk, dark... tons of mousse-type items served in all different fancy glasses.

It has traditionally worked for dinner for us because picky wife would always hit the cook to order pasta/stir fry station where she could obviously design her own dish.

We actually plan to try the MDR a few times when there's something on menu she'll eat (even though we haven't been fans in forever). Early seating so we can go to WJ after, of course.

7 hours ago, bellemiche said:

The hubby not being packed sounds familiar!! I have to admit that sometimes I end up doing it for him! 😜 Excited to follow you on your adventure!

My husband isn’t a “pre-packer” either…but he does take all his clothes out and places them in piles (he even irons his own things).  I then put into the packing cubes and into the suitcase.  It works well for us that way because, especially when flying, I inter-pack our things into both suitcases.  Our Oasis cruise in 11 days is a no flying event…we are driving to Bayonne. 😁

Definitely do lunch at Mason Jar..there's so many different items you won't find on the dinner menu. We usually do it on boarding day and again later in the cruise. Mainly because it's a novelty and only available on Wonder currently..so it still feels new and fresh to us. Hooked is meh for me..and I love seafood.

slightly hot take but -- we loved hooked 😂

J and i both got the maine lobster and neither of us could finish the beast 😂 it was also the best shrimp cocktail i've ever had on a ship -- and they were HUGE.

can't compare/contrast with the mason jar since we haven't been on wonder, but i will say that the next time we are on symphony, we will be going back to hooked for sure. 💚

Late to the party but Mason Jar brunch was our absolute favorite.  The charred watermelon salad was delicious.  We all loved the pimento cheese.  I had the spinach and pimento cheese omelet and I would def order again.  Biggest surprise was for my DD with food allergies.  They made her nut and egg free red velvet pancakes that were delicious.  She was so surprised!! We booked Utopia on board and plan to eat brunch again.