Room attended preference morning or night? And why?

This will be our first cruise since they went to once a day room attendant service.  I'm curious to hear everyone's preference (morning or night) and why.  I would also like to hear rough timelines for each.  

Thank you for your input.

On Odyssey recently, I wouldn't say we were given much of a choice.  Our cabin steward informed us that they would be cleaning our cabin in the evenings, and asked us what time we would be leaving for dinner each evening.  I asked if morning was an option, and was told they were already fully committed for morning cleanings so my only option was the evening.  All that to say, solely in our recent experience, you may or may not actually get to make this choice.  I hope you do!

My last cruise was similar, in that I was told my section would have morning service as my attendant had to do evening service for another section as well. But I was also told that if I had any needs like towels, etc. that if I called or made the request they would deliver those as soon as possible. 

My attendant was very good though, and I often had my room serviced while I was at breakfast before even leaving the ship! About the only difference I noticed was that I got my towel animals in the morning with the service instead of later in the day. 

So I would assume that the decision for morning or evening service is made by the ship for scheduling, and the passengers aren't given as much of a choice for that.

I prefer morning, but I haven't been given a choice on my last 2 cruises (Navigator & Voyager). On both I was informed that the steward would start at one end of his cabins and work his way to the other.  The next day, he'd work in the opposite direction.  That way everyone had a similar number of morning and afternoon service.

Evening during our early dining time. We take our daily showers at night before bed and it was nice to have the fresh towels after any potential pre-dinner/post-excursion shower that took place during the day. Very predictable because we went to the MDR every night at the same time, and after dinner, the room had been refreshed.

Just got off Symphony in Barcelona, we had once a day service which I was informed of, but I was not asked which one I preferred. (And that didn't bother me, I'm just sharing that information.) If given the choice I much prefer morning. I shower at night and go through the towels and washcloths, obviously I sleep in the bed, I tend to bring empty water bottles and trash back to the room with me and stuff my trash cans. It's nice to go to breakfast and come back and the trash cans are empty and I have fresh towels and the bed is made and I'm good for the rest of the day. 

As it turns out, we did have morning service most days, (all of us on the hall,) although there were 2 days when we all had evening service.

I did get two towel animals during the week. No paper compass.

1 hour ago, Pattycruise said:

Currently on Liberty, I was not given a choice.  I’d prefer evening. Once I leave the cabin for dinner I’m rarely back before midnight. 
I was speaking with my attendant.  He’s got 25 cabins total encompassing 2 decks. I feel bad for him.

I know it's subjective, but I have to say my room attendant looked absolutely defeated and exhausted every single time I saw him. My son had a different cabin on a different floor and his room steward looked the same way. Excellent service from both of them, though. Really exceptional. Definitely felt for them. They were never not there.

4 hours ago, PastorW said:

I prefer evening. That way I can take a nap during the day if need be and after dinner/show I can come back and my room looks good and ready to go back to sleep! 

If given the choice I’d prefer evening too - I tend to be not so much of a morning person, but often that changes on a cruise and I surprise myself how early I can get up 😂. I was surprised to have it serviced by the time I finished breakfast most mornings, especially if I was quick with breakfast and there weren’t any attendants in the hall yet when going to breakfast! My attendant also told me on the last cruise that on a couple days most of his morning rooms still had the “do not disturb” magnet up on the door for a large part of the morning, so since he saw I was out and my room available he took care of it then. 

The evening cleaning is a must for me.  That allows me to sleep in if I want to or get up early do things, eat breakfast and go back to bed if I want.  Then the room will be cleaned when I am gone for dinner.  The last two cruises this worked great.  We have dinner about 6 pm and the room is cleaned at that time.

We get up early and are out and about so morning is a good time for room to be serviced.

Stop by Guest Services and tell them you want a Cruise Compass delivered each day. They document it in your preferences and you will get one each evening for the next day.

We tell our attendant we want fresh towels each day. They can provide extra towels if you need them.

As for towel animals, that is entirely up the room attendant, their skills and time.

20230525_142754.jpg

I prefer mornings. I’m solo and I’m a bit of a neat freak so my room usually looks unoccupied…lol. Everything is hidden away in drawers or the closet. My bags are under the bed. All the paperwork that I get is in the flat drawer. I like the bed made as soon as possible and if the attendant is having a busy day, I’ll make it myself.

I always make sure I meet my attendant on day one…and every time I see him/her during the cruise, I make the effort to chat a little bit. As long as they’re not obviously too busy.

I tell my attendant that I don’t want towel animals to save him/her some time. But I do like the printed cruise compass. I reuse towels at least once.

I also tell my attendant to skip my room on crew drill days and on turnaround days when I b2b. They really appreciate that.

So I pretty much always have a neat room. Virtually every attendant I have had has always come back in during the evening while I was dining and did the quick pillow turn down, closed the curtains and put on the small reading lights, changed some towels and left the printed Cruise Compass on the bed. 

Again, I’m usually solo and this is one of the advantages. Easy to put everything away and to keep a neat room.

Oh, and I tip well! 😁

We just got off Mariner.  The attendant was very attentive.  On day one he asked if we preferred morning or evening and we told him we really did not care - whatever was easiest for him.  I guess evenings must have proven to be the easiest b/c that is what we ended up with.  Truly, it is entirely immaterial to us when they clean the room.  We tidied up the bed in the AM so it wasn't a mess and other than that, there was really no impact to us whatsoever.

29 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We just got off Mariner.  The attendant was very attentive.  On day one he asked if we preferred morning or evening and we told him we really did not care - whatever was easiest for him.  I guess evenings must have proven to be the easiest b/c that is what we ended up with.  Truly, it is entirely immaterial to us when they clean the room.  We tidied up the bed in the AM so it wasn't a mess and other than that, there was really no impact to us whatsoever.

I would guess most people pick mornings so he was happy to have an evening slot to use.

On 6/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, Obie2 said:

This will be our first cruise since they went to once a day room attendant service.  I'm curious to hear everyone's preference (morning or night) and why.  I would also like to hear rough timelines for each.  

Thank you for your input.

We told our attendant on the Wonder we wanted evenings.  Our thought was it’s ready for us every night and we can loosely make the bed each morning.  He said if he was around he would still do twice.  Most of the cabins around us were clearly mornings…so in the end - didn’t matter what we said…we got mornings! 🙂

I don’t think it’s a huge difference either way.