Explorer or Oasis. Which is best? First time cruisers

John UK

Hi Everyone

Thinking of doing our first cruise later this year and it all sounds a bit daunting if I am honest. We have seen two cruises (Caribbean and departure from Miami at end of December) we like which are 9 days. 

I have absolutely no idea which is the better ship so looking for some friendly advice really.

On the cruise will be me and my wife plus 10 year old daughter. 

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks John (UK)

I would not have told you this before last February, but I would do the Oasis class ship for the first-time cruise with a family.  Last February I went on the Sympathy of the Seas and fell in love with the big ships.  There is unlimited number of things to do.  It is different and there will be 5,000 new friends with you, but it is a very big ship.  I would save the smaller ship for a second cruise or one doing Alaska or Panama Canal.  

Since all advertising for Royal shows the latest and greatest features I feel a first time cruiser (especially with children) should do Oasis class ship. Being on this site means you are doing some research which is good but you wouldn't believe how many people see advertising for Royals latest ship, then book the cheapest cruise they can find (usually an older ship) and are shocked when there are no water slides or zip lines or aqua theatre.

I also vote Oasis class ship. However be warned it is A LOT of walking.  Book near the aft elevetaor-it is closest to Windjammer (buffet) and the main dining room.  The theater is all the way forward but you aren't going there 2-3 times a day like the 2 aforementioned locations.  Look at the deck plans for "white space" (no cabins) next to, below or above you....those tend to be crew work areas/storage areas and can have noise at most bizarre time of day/night, so it is recommended to avoid those areas

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

They're both just fine

Agreed! If the price difference matters to you then go Mariner. The onsite logic is that the price "savings" can be used for your next cruise. We've never gone 9 nights and I'm jealous! If you probably will not cruise again because of other plans then go all out on Oasis. 

I agree that they both will be fine. However when it comes to activities, maybe you should explore the cruise compasses. Each ship will have pros and cons. I think Explorer seems to be a good representation for small ships, it seems to have just enough to not feel cheated. While for some Oasis will be too much.

My wife and I are big fans of Voyager class ships, and we even have an upcoming cruise on Explorer.   Exactly one year ago, we were on Oasis for a 7N cruise out of Miami and found her to be a bit too big for us as we currently are (mid-50s with adult children).

All that being said, I just showed her this thread, and we both agree that if we were cruising with our kids when they were an average age of 10, we would go Oasis all the way.  There is so much more for a family to do.

Folks speak of Explorer as being tiny when compared to Oasis.  Gee, one is 1186 feet long, and the other is 1025 feet long.  They are both astonishingly huge ships. 

I cannot pick one over the other.  They are both gigantic and they both offer more activities than I've ever used or participated.

24 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

Folks speak of Explorer as being tiny when compared to Oasis.  Gee, one is 1186 feet long, and the other is 1025 feet long.  They are both astonishingly huge ships. 

I cannot pick one over the other.  They are both gigantic and they both offer more activities than I've ever used or participated.

It is not so much the length but the beam and interior volume is so much more on an Oasis class ship. 

28 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

It is not so much the length but the beam and interior volume is so much more on an Oasis class ship. 

For sure

When we walked on Oasis last year, I was surprised at how wide the Promenade was compared to Voyager Class ships.

46 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Oh I knew someone would need to correct me.  Believe me, I've been on them all.  I still say, they are all large, and for a first time cruise, even a little tiny Explorer-class is overwhelming in size.

I don't cruise only to be on the largest ship afloat, but also because of the itinerary.  My kids or family  are not gonna whine because they had to be on the little tiny Explorer.  But then again, maybe I underestimate the need for grandiose gratification.

There is a lot more to do on Oasis, there is a more entertainment on Oasis, and a lot more dinning options on Oasis than Explorer. 

You can't go wrong with either of these ships, I've personally cruised on both but Oasis offers a lot more onboard than Explorer.  Also my husbands first cruise was on an Oasis Class ship the Allure of the Seas and he absolutely loved it hands down.

A 10 year will not care what ship you take them on.  You're on an awesome cruise after all.  Plenty for everyone to do on the Explorer.  

If you do Oasis first you'll get spoiled and never will want to do the smaller ships.  Do Explorer first and then you can always move up later. I think the Oasis class is too overwhelming at first.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two teens at the moment and they love Explorer and Oasis (we’ve done Allure and Harmony). I asked which they liked better and they both said they wouldn’t be able to pick. I’d probably go with Oasis just because there is a bit of a boardwalk feel with the carousel and all. Also zip lining is fun!

Our first cruises were on Empress & Majesty so as small as it gets.  Then we took DGS on Mariner & I told my TA I could never do anything bigger.  Well then I got a great deal on Harmony and OMG it was just a game changer.  Back to smaller on Explorer in October and really felt the difference, tin can balcony, much narrower promenade, fewer bar choices, fewer food choices.  I vote Oasis.

The problem you will have is future cruises! 

If you go on Explorer It's exciting for all of you as its all new and you have nothing to compare it agsinst.

If you like cruising and move up to an Oasis class then again its new and because its bigger your daughter who will be a year or 2 older will be just as excited.

However if you flip it then going from a bigger ship to a smaller may not be as exciting simply due to the fact theres not the same things to do onboard as you experienced previously