Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

With the new Vaccine information when it will be possible to cruise normally


Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Anyone know if a cruise ship can just stay at a port (not sail) and operate as a hotel/restaurant resort?  Might be another way to test food services and hotel side health protocols in addition to ships that sail.

I imagine there would be port fees to be paid, and other legalities surrounding a ship just parking up in port for days on end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is how the CDC cruise ship task force interprets that graph...  

Vaccine news (spoiler they are working 🙂 ) Another research was published iin Israel , this time with population of  1.2 Million  , 600 K of people that got the second shot already and 600 withou

Key thing I've come to learn and understand about the J&J vaccine over the weekend is that, while it's only 49%-72% effective (depending on the region you're looking at and how widespread variants

Posted Images

4 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Anyone know if a cruise ship can just stay at a port (not sail) and operate as a hotel/restaurant resort?  Might be another way to test food services and hotel side health protocols in addition to ships that sail.

Depends on the country but...

There are pretty significant crew VISA issues when crew C-1/D VISA in the US are overstayed.  They aren't designed to allow foreign workers to work in America.  They can transit through America to board a ship for employment but the ship has to leave and crew have to be processed by another country before CBP considers them to have left the US.  

Then there is the matter of local hotel and restaurant businesses who are struggling during a pandemic.  If you owned a restaurant how would you feel if all of a sudden a cruise ship is luring customers away when that cruise ship is a foreign company, using foreign employees, not paying taxes and not subject to complex city and county tax codes and business licensing or things like the ADA to the same extent that a local hotel or restaurant business is?  Heck the Key West hotel and restaurant industry hate cruise ships so much they banned them and that wasn't because of the pandemic.

Regardless what country you pick, few will want to see foreign companies paying no taxes decimate their local service industry for even a brief time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, twangster said:

Depends on the country but...

There are pretty significant crew VISA issues when crew C-1/D VISA in the US are overstayed.  They aren't designed to allow foreign workers to work in America.  They can transit through America to board a ship for employment but the ship has to leave and crew have to be processed by another country before CBP considers them to have left the US.  

Then there is the matter of local hotel and restaurant businesses who are struggling during a pandemic.  If you owned a restaurant how would you feel if all of a sudden a cruise ship is luring customers away when that cruise ship is a foreign company, using foreign employees, not paying taxes and not subject to complex city and county tax codes and business licensing or things like the ADA to the same extent that a local hotel or restaurant business is?  Heck the Key West hotel and restaurant industry hate cruise ships so much they banned them and that wasn't because of the pandemic.

Regardless what country you pick, few will want to see foreign companies paying no taxes decimate their local service industry for even a brief time.

Good points about the work VISAs but wasn't thinking about long term.   I brought it up because Richard Branson had plans to introduce and promote the Scarlet Lady operating as a restaurant over a weekend in NYC harbor.  Of course interested parties had to make advanced reservations to get a dining spot.  The promotion was called off when the plague broke out.  Wondered if the approach could be dusted off and applied elsewhere.  https://www.exploretock.com/virginvoyagesrazzledazzle

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more good news , 

Moderna are going to apply the request for emergency FDA approval .

The compile all the extended data  and they for the 30000 people test the vaccine has successful rate of 94.1%  to  protect from C19  94.1 % and 100%  from getting severe hilliness  . On other words  only 11 people out of 15000 who got the real vaccine got ill , noon of them developed any severe hilliness comparing to  185  from the placebo group who got the C19 and 30 of them became severely ill .

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/30/health/moderna-vaccine-fda-eua-application/index.html

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge step forward - UK just authorized the use of the Pfizer vaccine .

This is excellent news and I hope more approval will come soon from the FDA and other regulators. Maybe there is still hope for the RCB cruise to the fjords  🙂 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-authorises-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

“The vaccine will be made available across the UK from next week"

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 11:20 AM, Traveler said:

And soon we should have new about  Johnson and Johnson Vaccine.

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is behind the others. I read that initial results should be released sometime In December but probably won’t be approved until Jan at the earliest or possibly Feb.

Having said that, the one major advantage the Johnson and Johnson vaccine might have is that it will probably only require one injection and won’t require the extreme cold the other vaccines require and is expected to be much cheaper.

If it was up to me (and of course it isn’t) I would use the Johnson and Johnson vaccine for less developed countries where freezing might be an issue or where governments who aren’t as rich as the US or Canada have to pay for the vaccine. Assuming it gets approved of course. But of course that’s just a thought, there still might be other factors I’m not aware of. I myself don’t love getting injected by needles more than I have to but, whatever is best for the entire world.  But of course the more vaccines, the better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oliver said:

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine is behind the others. I read that initial results should be released sometime In December but probably won’t be approved until Jan at the earliest or possibly Feb.

Having said that, the one major advantage the Johnson and Johnson vaccine might have is that it will probably only require one injection and won’t require the extreme cold the other vaccines require and is expected to be much cheaper.

If it was up to me (and of course it isn’t) I would use the Johnson and Johnson vaccine for less developed countries where freezing might be an issue or where governments who aren’t as rich as the US or Canada have to pay for the vaccine. Assuming it gets approved of course. But of course that’s just a thought, there still might be other factors I’m not aware of. I myself don’t love getting injected by needles more than I have to but, whatever is best for the entire world.  But of course the more vaccines, the better.

That's making sense ,  we just need to be careful that it will not start any  conspiracy theory regarding the vaccine that is offered for the developed countries comparing to other countries ...

Anyway , we can also expedite the vaccine process by first do serologic test for people since someone that already have antidotes can wait with the vaccine for few month.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Traveler said:

That's making sense ,  we just need to be careful that it will not start any  conspiracy theory regarding the vaccine that is offered for the developed countries comparing to other countries ...

Anyway , we can also expedite the vaccine process by first do serologic test for people since someone that already have antidotes can wait with the vaccine for few month.   

I don’t think you are going to see serologic tests happening. The CDC has already said everyone needs to be vaccinated whether you have had COVID or not, and whether you have antibodies or not.

Whether or not this decision has been made because they truly aren’t sure if someone can get COVID twice or because the logistics of antibody testing everyone, I’m not sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oliver said:

I don’t think you are going to see serologic tests happening. The CDC has already said everyone needs to be vaccinated whether you have had COVID or not, and whether you have antibodies or not.

Whether or not this decision has been made because they truly aren’t sure if someone can get COVID twice or because the logistics of antibody testing everyone, I’m not sure. 

I guess it's all depends on how fast and how many vaccine portion will be available. If there will be many of them available soon than I guess given vaccine to all is the easiest way. We might get here enough portion to give for 25 precent of the population we will see how it will go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Bad news - US only bought 100 Million of the Pfizer vaccine and now Pfizer saying they are already committed to other countries therefore extra portion can be available only during June/July .

This floored me when I first read about it.

Pfizer -- "Hey, we're only going to have so much vaccine to go around. Fifty million people is only about a sixth of the country, you want dibs on most of what isn't bought yet from our first run?"

US Gov't -- "Nah, we're good."

Pfizer -- "But... herd immunity needs at least 70% vaccinated... that's at least another 180 million people... 360 million doses..."

US Gov't -- "We're good. Get out of here."

 

US Gov't may have more or less torpedoed any chance of something resembling a normal summer with that decision for much of the United States. Hopefully the silver lining will be that more of Europe / Asia will get protected, letting them reach herd immunity levels sooner and open up faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JLMoran said:

This floored me when I first read about it.

Pfizer -- "Hey, we're only going to have so much vaccine to go around. Fifty million people is only about a sixth of the country, you want dibs on most of what isn't bought yet from our first run?"

US Gov't -- "Nah, we're good."

Pfizer -- "But... herd immunity needs at least 70% vaccinated... that's at least another 180 million people... 360 million doses..."

US Gov't -- "We're good. Get out of here."

 

US Gov't may have more or less torpedoed any chance of something resembling a normal summer with that decision for much of the United States. Hopefully the silver lining will be that more of Europe / Asia will get protected, letting them reach herd immunity levels sooner and open up faster.

Was this decision based on the government hedging its bets with other vaccine candidates? i.e. Moderna, AstraZeneca, J&J, et al.  So it may not be all bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our governor just held a presser to discuss distribution plans for the state.  All things still point to a "summer" availability for 18-64 yo.  This is subject to change once approval for children has been obtained.  

He also said that immunity comes some time after the second shot.  If you get the first shot in May he stated, the efficacy numbers that are being offered will be achieved after the second shot and you should expect the stated efficacy level of protection sometime in July.  

If that is true, that's another two months or so added to the timeline.  

Has anyone else heard this two month to efficacy claim from the date of vaccination?

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, twangster said:

Our governor just held a presser to discuss distribution plans for the state.  All things still point to a "summer" availability for 18-64 yo.  This is subject to change once approval for children has been obtained.  

He also said that immunity comes some time after the second shot.  If you get the first shot in May he stated, the efficacy numbers that are being offered will be achieved after the second shot and you should expect the stated efficacy level of protection sometime in July.  

If that is true, that's another two months or so added to the timeline.  

Has anyone else heard this two month to efficacy claim from the date of vaccination?

 

For the Pfizer vaccine, the FDA has said:

In documents published ahead of an advisory meeting Thursday to review Pfizer’s vaccine, FDA staff also said data submitted appeared to show the vaccine was at least 52% effective before the second dose ...

Pfizer’s vaccine recommends two doses about three weeks apart. The agency added that two doses of the vaccine were “highly effective” in preventing confirmed cases of Covid-19 at least seven days following the second dose. In such instances, the vaccine was 94.8% effective after seven days of the inoculation.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/fda-says-pfizer-covid-vaccine-data-did-not-raise-safety-concerns.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

just sharing with you my 2 cents worth

here in philippines, a group of LOCAL TOURISTS were caught when they used a FAKE COVID TEST showing they are negative so that they can visit one of our famed beaches... 

its very shameful and these people should be SHOT for this... or at least jailed for 20 years i think

not only did they endanger other people, but they are destroying the travel industry for others.. how can we feel safe now if there are these idiots still out there???

Here's the news article - https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1369535/6-boracay-tourists-face-raps-over-fake-covid-19-tests

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric Chao said:

just sharing with you my 2 cents worth

here in philippines, a group of LOCAL TOURISTS were caught when they used a FAKE COVID TEST showing they are negative so that they can visit one of our famed beaches... 

its very shameful and these people should be SHOT for this... or at least jailed for 20 years i think

not only did they endanger other people, but they are destroying the travel industry for others.. how can we feel safe now if there are these idiots still out there???

Here's the news article - https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1369535/6-boracay-tourists-face-raps-over-fake-covid-19-tests

No one should be shot for faking a test.

There should be consequences, but death should not be on that list.

Drunk drivers face a fine and potential months in jail - is this correct?  Faking a virus test without proof that anyone died shouldn't carry a 20 year sentence which appears to be the maximum sentence for a fatality by a drunk driver. 

Totally get your frustration.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, i did exaggerate on the BEING SHOT part hehe, just wanted to emphasize that punishment should be severe... faking a COVID TEST is deliberate, inconsiderate, and pre-meditated... with criminal intent basically, so a simple FINE will not be enough... JAIL TIME should be given

problem is too many people violate the law with impunity... they're not afraid at all

we just need everyone to follow the rules so that we can get back to becoming a safe society again, and for us... be able to take our first ever cruise

like the passenger who tested positive for COVID in Singapore cruise... he/she didn't intentionally fake his/her covid test so i don't feel animosity towards him/her... its just unfortunate

but this one, the fakers of the test, they're definitely responsible for their actions..

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, twangster said:

Our governor just held a presser to discuss distribution plans for the state.  All things still point to a "summer" availability for 18-64 yo.  This is subject to change once approval for children has been obtained.  

He also said that immunity comes some time after the second shot.  If you get the first shot in May he stated, the efficacy numbers that are being offered will be achieved after the second shot and you should expect the stated efficacy level of protection sometime in July.  

If that is true, that's another two months or so added to the timeline.  

Has anyone else heard this two month to efficacy claim from the date of vaccination?

In Canada, they are saying Pfizer is approved for 16 and up.  My son will be 16 in April but I don't know what this means for my younger one who is turning 12 next year.  Hopefully they get more testing results as I don't know what this means if kids under 16 aren't protected.  And in cruising world, would hate for things to open up only if vaccinated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

In Canada, they are saying Pfizer is approved for 16 and up.  My son will be 16 in April but I don't know what this means for my younger one who is turning 12 next year.  Hopefully they get more testing results as I don't know what this means if kids under 16 aren't protected.  And in cruising world, would hate for things to open up only if vaccinated.

I think the reality of the situation is that ships in large or normal quantities won't be allowed to sail so long as community spread is probable. 

Right now we are in raging spread territory.  The virus isn't going to change causing our numbers to magically drop by themselves.  Warmer temperatures in May will turn the numbers in our favor but that alone won't drop them to acceptable levels to allow cruising to resume.

The vaccine will be required to really drive numbers down to levels where the CDC will allow mass cruising to resume.  They might allow very limited sailings prior to that but that is questionable.  

Once vaccines are readily available in the summer it will take a few months for their effects to be visible in data trends.  Only then will cruising be on the table for consideration of restarting anything resembling normal operations.

By then hopefully the additional research will have been completed for all children.

The point is your 12 yo will likely have access to a vaccine prior to the CDC allowing mass cruising to resume.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...