Matt

Good news if you have been dreaming of west coast cruises

On 9/14/2019 at 11:48 PM, twangster said:

Interesting they specifically speak of RCI, not RCCL.

I found that interesting also, however, it is amazing how much the media uses "RCCL" and "RCI" interchangeably. Not to mention this is from Google Translate, so another layer of interpretation with this.

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

I found that interesting also, however, it is amazing how much the media uses "RCCL" and "RCI" interchangeably. Not to mention this is from Google Translate, so another layer of interpretation with this.

Translation is pretty dang close. The author probably does not know the difference between RCCL and RCI. Now will RCCL return with weekly calls or a repositioning cruise remains to be seen.  Basically it's another small step forward towards the west coast. Based on RCCL past comments only new builds will get shore power capabilities which you need to homeport a ship in California and I don't know of any RCI's recent new builds that have it and its to costly to retrofit a existing ship. So based on this info i would say its Celebrity Apex. 

11 minutes ago, RoyalLaker said:

According to this article both Celebrity and RCI are returning. 

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sinaloa-looks-for-more-airline-connections-for-3-airports/

When 2021 itineraries open in the coming weeks and months that should be very interesting!

I wonder if this region will be released on December 9.  The region for that release date is listed as "Coming Soon".

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/10/01/royal-caribbean-releases-2021-2022-opening-schedule

5 hours ago, twangster said:

When 2021 itineraries open in the coming weeks and months that should be very interesting!

I wonder if this region will be released on December 9.  The region for that release date is listed as "Coming Soon".

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/10/01/royal-caribbean-releases-2021-2022-opening-schedule

As far as RCI is concern....their 4000 passengers ship would be an Quantum class...assuming Ovation ots. However, this could also suggest a Freedom class ship which capacity is 3800 passengers, if such a ship is being repositioned. Indeed interesting....

3 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

As far as RCI is concern....their 4000 passengers ship would be an Quantum class...assuming Ovation ots. However, this could also suggest a Freedom class ship which capacity is 3800 passengers, if such a ship is being repositioned. Indeed interesting....

Per the article Carnival's ship has 5,000 guests.  Which ship would that be?  :) 

Take the article with grain of salt and Royal could at anytime up to the announcement change ships around.  

Don't forget Voyager class has a SOLAS capacity of exactly 4,000.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Per the article Carnival's ship has 5,000 guests.  Which ship would that be?  🙂

Take the article with grain of salt and Royal could at anytime up to the announcement change ships around.  

Don't forget Voyager class has a SOLAS capacity of exactly 4,000.

I'm thinking it's going to be a ship from Australia or Asia. Any freedom class or Voyager class from east coast would have to go around South America.

9 minutes ago, RoyalLaker said:

I'm thinking it's going to be a ship from Australia or Asia. Any freedom class or Voyager class from east coast would have to go around South America.

The new Panama locks can accomodate larger ships. 

7 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't follow Carnival so I have no clue what the capacities are, but Panorama is all over the Mazatlan schedule for 2021.

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Yeah...I just figure the author was referring to or embellishing the maximum capacity of the Carnival Panorama which is around 4800 I think...regular capacity about 3960...since Panorama is hugely anticipated out here.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Which has the same stated clearance as the Lions Gate Bridge.  Ovation has passed under twice.

Wikipedia is not the source of all truth.

Q class was built with the canal expansion in mind. Voyager and Freedom class where built with thought that they would never leave the Caribbean. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3764843/cruise-ships-lions-gate-bridge/

11 hours ago, RoyalLaker said:

Correct, But they do not fit under the bridge of Americas.

The Serenade of the Seas (Radiance class) is going through the Panama Canal next May in order to transition to the Alaska/Australia markets.  This is the largest ship that Royal has sent through as far as I have been able to research.  All others have been Vision class or smaller.  I have thought and still do think that this is a trial run for Royal's larger ships.  If so then the west coast 2021 plan could be Voyager class or larger if all goes well next May.

50 minutes ago, Shari said:

The Serenade of the Seas (Radiance class) is going through the Panama Canal next May in order to transition to the Alaska/Australia markets.  This is the largest ship that Royal has sent through as far as I have been able to research.  All others have been Vision class or smaller.  I have thought and still do think that this is a trial run for Royal's larger ships.  If so then the west coast 2021 plan could be Voyager class or larger if all goes well next May.

They can sail around South America if they choose to try that again.

5 hours ago, RoyalLaker said:

Q class was built with the canal expansion in mind. Voyager and Freedom class where built with thought that they would never leave the Caribbean. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3764843/cruise-ships-lions-gate-bridge/

Since that article in 2017 the Ovation of the seas, The Norwegian Bliss, and Norwegian Joy (all huge ships by any standard) have all passed under the Lions gate bridge to the port of Vancouver. 

Looks like it is just Celebrity😭

"This good news also adds to what the Director of Excursions of Royal Caribbean International, Penn Zeilman, announced that they plan to return to Mazatlan by 2021 with the Royal Celebrity cruise, which demonstrates the confidence of the large shipping companies to Sinaloa he added."

https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/10/25/disney-cruises-will-increase-its-arrivals-to-sinaloa-from-4-to-30/

18 hours ago, RoyalLaker said:

This good news also adds to what the Director of Excursions of Royal Caribbean International, Penn Zeilman, announced that they plan to return to Mazatlan by 2021 with the Royal Celebrity cruise

I bolded the mixed use of "RCI", "RCCL" and "Royal Celebrity" (which I've never seen before) to show why I never rely on a generic "Royal Caribbean" mention as a "smoking gun" of Royal Caribbean International's intentions to do anything. News outlets unfamiliar with the nature of RCCL's corporate structure play very loose with the use of the words.

Alas, looks like we have to wait a bit longer...