Jump to content
mom2mybugs

Majesty of the seas Havana-no-no-no Graduation Cruise June 15-June 19

Recommended Posts

Another trip... My first one as Platinum.  No I will never make diamond and I don't really get anything for Platinum other than requesting the cool robe which I will do on the next cruise lol.....

The Basics:  First time on Majesty of the seas.  The Crew:  Myself, my 22 year old daughter Morgan and my 16 year old Madison.  Dad stays home to work and pay for the girls trip!  The Itinerary:  Fly into fort Lauderdale 2 days early, relax, eat and drink, get in ship and go to key West (first time), sea day (relax and drink), nassau and then fort Lauderdale for 3 days (relax, eat and drink.. sense a pattern lol?)

We booked this cruise as a total yolo.  I was home in April feeling very guilty about not going to my daughter's last mom's weekend at University of Illinois.  I started thinking, ok, we'd have spent a bit, let's travel instead after she graduates for a little 3 day weekend.  Which turned into, hey let's travel 4 or 5 days.  Which turned into hey, we can take a cruise!!!  The 16 year old was all over the itinerary (let's go to Europe etc) but the 22 year old was exhausted finishing her final design project in material science engineering and said she would go anywhere if she could get the drink pkg and sleep!   I was looking at 5-7 day cruises and an amazingly long cheap celebrity cruise (which now I wished I'd booked but I will get there!!!) and then happened on Cuba!  We could go to Cuba!!!!!!   My husband was such a good sport (history teacher who would be teaching summer school and not going) and said go!  So we booked it in April.  I've never YOLO booked a cruise like that.  Within 2 days we had airfare and a hotel and airbnbs and were ready to go as long as Morgan passed all her classes lol.

   2 days later the announcement came about the change in Cuban policy.  Worried but cautiously optimistic we continued to get excited.  The May escalation day came and went.  Our biggest worry was if they would ever assign us our guarantee cabin!  

   And then June came.  First of all, I sprain my ankle.  Badly.  It's not broken but can I walk in Havana?  Doesn't matter...we have an all day fun classic car tour!  But it didn't matter.  We were devastated when it was announced that travel would be banned to Cuba.  We were cautiously hopefully that we would be grandfathered in but that was not to be.   So now what?  We had booked majesty only because of Cuba.  I obviously like smaller and older ships ok...our first cruise was on vision in 2015 and we will be sailing it again after trips on other classes... But I'd have done a 7 day on a bigger ship.  So I looked at our options.  None.  We would pay double to cruise another ship at the same time.  We do have cancel at any cost insurance but my last dealings with Allianz and insurance were heartbreaking at best and we lost 10000.  I just couldn't face that again even if we could find other dates in the future that could work (which we couldn't... The college grad has to get a real job sometime lol).  

   So we were optimistic again... Maybe we would finally get to see cococay (since we couldn't tender on our trip in 2016).  Nope....Nassau.  The lemons keep flying.  But we are making lemonade!  Girls were just happy to be going on a trip, I'm happy that I will finally finish school next week, maybe it won't rain in Florida, this trip is gonna rock!!!! Any cruise is an amazing cruise!  So we booked a specialty make your own sushi class, get an excursion in Nassau and think about packing!!

  So we leave in 6 days!  I will update as we go.  Unlike @TheHobbys if I lay out my suitcases, my Schnauzer will eat everything in the suitcase so I will have to pack and close.  That will be today and tomorrow's project since I work all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!  We will get hair cuts and pedicures and look forward to our first kraken lava flow on the ship!!!   I'm looking forward to an amazing 8 days with my girls, wondering if we can all go 4 days without voom...we are gonna try!... and for the first time getting on a cruise less than 6 months after the last one!  Jane

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wonderful trip with mother and daughters, and celebrating your older one's graduation.  Love your attitude...lemonade from lemons!  Despite the changes that are out of your control, and your sprained ankle (hope its doing better!), have a wonderful cruise!  You'll have some precious time together and memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Another trip... My first one as Platinum.  No I will never make diamond and I don't really get anything for Platinum other than requesting the cool robe which I will do on the next cruise lol.....

The Basics:  First time on Majesty of the seas.  The Crew:  Myself, my 22 year old daughter Morgan and my 16 year old Madison.  Dad stays home to work and pay for the girls trip!  The Itinerary:  Fly into fort Lauderdale 2 days early, relax, eat and drink, get in ship and go to key West (first time), sea day (relax and drink), nassau and then fort Lauderdale for 3 days (relax, eat and drink.. sense a pattern lol?)

We booked this cruise as a total yolo.  I was home in April feeling very guilty about not going to my daughter's last mom's weekend at University of Illinois.  I started thinking, ok, we'd have spent a bit, let's travel instead after she graduates for a little 3 day weekend.  Which turned into, hey let's travel 4 or 5 days.  Which turned into hey, we can take a cruise!!!  The 16 year old was all over the itinerary (let's go to Europe etc) but the 22 year old was exhausted finishing her final design project in material science engineering and said she would go anywhere if she could get the drink pkg and sleep!   I was looking at 5-7 day cruises and an amazingly long cheap celebrity cruise (which now I wished I'd booked but I will get there!!!) and then happened on Cuba!  We could go to Cuba!!!!!!   My husband was such a good sport (history teacher who would be teaching summer school and not going) and said go!  So we booked it in April.  I've never YOLO booked a cruise like that.  Within 2 days we had airfare and a hotel and airbnbs and were ready to go as long as Morgan passed all her classes lol.

   2 days later the announcement came about the change in Cuban policy.  Worried but cautiously optimistic we continued to get excited.  The May escalation day came and went.  Our biggest worry was if they would ever assign us our guarantee cabin!  

   And then June came.  First of all, I sprain my ankle.  Badly.  It's not broken but can I walk in Havana?  Doesn't matter...we have an all day fun classic car tour!  But it didn't matter.  We were devastated when it was announced that travel would be banned to Cuba.  We were cautiously hopefully that we would be grandfathered in but that was not to be.   So now what?  We had booked majesty only because of Cuba.  I obviously like smaller and older ships ok...our first cruise was on vision in 2015 and we will be sailing it again after trips on other classes... But I'd have done a 7 day on a bigger ship.  So I looked at our options.  None.  We would pay double to cruise another ship at the same time.  We do have cancel at any cost insurance but my last dealings with Allianz and insurance were heartbreaking at best and we lost 10000.  I just couldn't face that again even if we could find other dates in the future that could work (which we couldn't... The college grad has to get a real job sometime lol).  

   So we were optimistic again... Maybe we would finally get to see cococay (since we couldn't tender on our trip in 2016).  Nope....Nassau.  The lemons keep flying.  But we are making lemonade!  Girls were just happy to be going on a trip, I'm happy that I will finally finish school next week, maybe it won't rain in Florida, this trip is gonna rock!!!! Any cruise is an amazing cruise!  So we booked a specialty make your own sushi class, get an excursion in Nassau and think about packing!!

  So we leave in 6 days!  I will update as we go.  Unlike @TheHobbys if I lay out my suitcases, my Schnauzer will eat everything in the suitcase so I will have to pack and close.  That will be today and tomorrow's project since I work all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday!  We will get hair cuts and pedicures and look forward to our first kraken lava flow on the ship!!!   I'm looking forward to an amazing 8 days with my girls, wondering if we can all go 4 days without voom...we are gonna try!... and for the first time getting on a cruise less than 6 months after the last one!  Jane

   

Your New plans sound great.. The only hiccup I see is when you ask for No Rain in Florida.. That is impossible for Florida in June lol but what you have to hope for is just a 3:00 PM 30 min or so shower thats something you can deal with.. Its the all day rainstorms like we had yesterday that you want to hope don't occur.. But if they do just hit up La Bamba and the Aladdin movie perfect activities for a rainy Florida afternoon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Your New plans sound great.. The only hiccup I see is when you ask for No Rain in Florida.. That is impossible for Florida in June lol but what you have to hope for is just a 3:00 PM 30 min or so shower thats something you can deal with.. Its the all day rainstorms like we had yesterday that you want to hope don't occur.. But if they do just hit up La Bamba and the Aladdin movie perfect activities for a rainy Florida afternoon. 

I know...Disney in the rain isn’t bad but beach is a little trickier lol!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I know...Disney in the rain isn’t bad but beach is a little trickier lol!  Jane

Your so right about that.. Actually Disney in the rain in the summer is sometimes nice.. Its so Hot there in the summer sometimes alittle rain in Disney really feels good lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mom2mybugs I just got an email about a free cruise on your sailing from the Casino... What that tells me is ALOT of people must of canceled.. I think you should try to get an upgrade.. I bet if you bid you would get one.. Might be cool since your getting some money back.. Just thought I would let you know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Have you gotten your cabin assignment yet?

 

I did...we are on the 8th floor midship.  I’m pretty happy with that.   What I can’t figure out if it’s got an obstructed view...one place said that and I’m thinking maybe lifeboats?  

 

7 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

@mom2mybugs I just got an email about a free cruise on your sailing from the Casino... What that tells me is ALOT of people must of canceled.. I think you should try to get an upgrade.. I bet if you bid you would get one.. Might be cool since your getting some money back.. Just thought I would let you know. 

I think a bunch probably nacelles.  If they would lower the bid I would it! But 400pp (800 total) seems crazy for a 4 day cruise.  That is the entire refund that now I can use for drinks and dinners on the end stays.  Also...I’d totally do it if I doubled points, but alas.....   no!   Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 3:34 PM, Rose City Cruiser said:

Enjoy your cruise!  Congrats to your daughter on her graduation!  ERTW! 

Ok...I had to look up what that meant!!!! Thank you!  She can rule the world indeed she finds a job lol....   Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update day -1 of trip!!!!

For the first time in my cruise history I have not packed a single item yet!  Ugh.  Usually i stay up super late the night before charging things, clearing pics off my phone etc, but life has totally gotten away from me this week with work and my silly ankle.  I'm working today until 4 and then I am on vacation for 10 days!!!!!

My ankle is still not great.  Maybe the silver invisible lining if no Cuba is that this cruise will have less walking.  9 days post sprain the ankle is still swollen.  Oh well...pool deck and adult beverage here I come.  We will just Uber everywhere in fort Lauderdale.

My girls are packed and ready to go.  I haven't told them I've ordered matching tshirts, water bottles and totes for the treppagirlsvacay!  I also have bought a ton of pamper items (face masks, lotions, chocolate) that I will pack in the tote bags.  Good thing kids only graduate every 4 years because I'm spending a ton of money... Though not as much as I spent on college lol!

So that is where we are at!  We leave tomorrow and I will start taking pics soon I promise!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Update day -1 of trip!!!!

For the first time in my cruise history I have not packed a single item yet!  Ugh.  Usually i stay up super late the night before charging things, clearing pics off my phone etc, but life has totally gotten away from me this week with work and my silly ankle.  I'm working today until 4 and then I am on vacation for 10 days!!!!!

My ankle is still not great.  Maybe the silver invisible lining if no Cuba is that this cruise will have less walking.  9 days post sprain the ankle is still swollen.  Oh well...pool deck and adult beverage here I come.  We will just Uber everywhere in fort Lauderdale.

My girls are packed and ready to go.  I haven't told them I've ordered matching tshirts, water bottles and totes for the treppagirlsvacay!  I also have bought a ton of pamper items (face masks, lotions, chocolate) that I will pack in the tote bags.  Good thing kids only graduate every 4 years because I'm spending a ton of money... Though not as much as I spent on college lol!

So that is where we are at!  We leave tomorrow and I will start taking pics soon I promise!  Jane

You are going to have a wonderful time! your girls will remember this trip always.. When I graduated I took a special trip just my dad and I to Chicago (my favorite city) That was one of the best trips of my life and I will never forget it and I am sure your girls will have a similar experience. If you end up trying out La Bamba (I am headed there tonight) please do write what you thought of it.. Ok again looking forward to your review and have a wonderful time. - Stephanie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I haven't told them I've ordered matching tshirts, water bottles and totes for the treppagirlsvacay!  I also have bought a ton of pamper items (face masks, lotions, chocolate) that I will pack in the tote bags.

What a great idea! I bet they'll love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

You are going to have a wonderful time! your girls will remember this trip always.. When I graduated I took a special trip just my dad and I to Chicago (my favorite city) That was one of the best trips of my life and I will never forget it and I am sure your girls will have a similar experience. If you end up trying out La Bamba (I am headed there tonight) please do write what you thought of it.. Ok again looking forward to your review and have a wonderful time. - Stephanie 

We are definitely going to la Bamba and I will take pics!  We are a Northwest suburb of Chicago and get there so v rarely but it is av great City!!!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...