J_Keeble

Independence of the Seas 2020 – no more Southampton but COCO CAY!

As mentioned in the other thread bookings are off in Europe.  

Of course they are moving ships where they'll make money, keeping a ship in a region that isn't booking well would be foolish.  They are a business.  They have shareholders they are accountable to.  

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/05/08/what-royal-caribbean-wants-investors-to-know.aspx

Geographic hits and misses

It's rare that booking patterns are strong in all regions of the world and like most years, we are seeing some variation this year.

-- Liberty (on the call)

The cruise line operator noted strong demand in the core Caribbean geography that accounts for about half of its global business. Volumes were surprisingly weak in Europe, meanwhile, likely due to economic uncertainty around Brexit.

The company is responding by shifting some assets toward the U.S., and that move highlights a key advantage of Royal Caribbean's diversified approach to deploying its ships. "We've built a business model that can play in the rain," Liberty told me, so sluggish demand in any one area isn't likely to drag down overall results.

2 minutes ago, bigpete said:

Yes, 12k for 4 people on a cruise is a bit much....

SInce I began cruising on Anthem in 2015 the prices have increased by around 40% I would say. and with so much competition from other companies, the demand was not there

1 minute ago, twangster said:

As mentioned in the other thread bookings are off in Europe.  

Of course they are moving ships where they'll make money, keeping a ship in a region that isn't booking well would be foolish.  They are a business.  They have shareholders they are accountable to.  

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/05/08/what-royal-caribbean-wants-investors-to-know.aspx

Geographic hits and misses

It's rare that booking patterns are strong in all regions of the world and like most years, we are seeing some variation this year.

-- Liberty (on the call)

The cruise line operator noted strong demand in the core Caribbean geography that accounts for about half of its global business. Volumes were surprisingly weak in Europe, meanwhile, likely due to economic uncertainty around Brexit.

The company is responding by shifting some assets toward the U.S., and that move highlights a key advantage of Royal Caribbean's diversified approach to deploying its ships. "We've built a business model that can play in the rain," Liberty told me, so sluggish demand in any one area isn't likely to drag down overall results.

it was strange that I read your posts this morning and then 2 hours later we get this announcement.

Just now, Joe01 said:

@twangster

It has nothing to do with Brexit. It was due to them having extremely high prices and not enough people booking. 

Although I think having both Anthem and Independence is asking too much of the market. They are both very big ships.

Last time Anthem came it was joined by Navigator I Believe and that worked. But maybe as Anthem was brand new it had more pulling power. just on a side note P&O are bringing out a new ship IONA next year at Southampton.

3 minutes ago, J_Keeble said:

Although I think having both Anthem and Independence is asking too much of the market. They are both very big ships.

Last time Anthem came it was joined by Navigator I Believe and that worked. But maybe as Anthem was brand new it had more pulling power. just on a side note P&O are bringing out a new ship IONA next year at Southampton.

They had Anthem with Explorer in 2015. Independence isn't much larger than Explorer.

I can't see why Anthem would appeal more to the market anyway - it's nowhere near Indy's league and wasn't received particularly well in 2015.

Just now, Joe01 said:

@twangster

It has nothing to do with Brexit. It was due to them having extremely high prices and not enough people booking. 

I think Brexit is a factor, albeit maybe not the primary one this journalist decided to blame.  It's the easy scapegoat but at the same time you can't dismiss Brexit completely either.

Don't mean to insult you Brits, but it is wreaking havoc with money and many different companies that operate globally with a presence in the England.  It's a mess.  Uncertainty breeds instability.  What else would one expect?  It's not going to be a smooth ride through this for you folks.  Have family there, wish you all the best.   

Also, for about 2 or three cruises Carnival has their ship leaving out of Dover. Could that have drawn away customers from Indy? 

This might shift up the way that other lines deploy in the Caribbean with another ship in Fort Lauderdale. 

Just now, twangster said:

I think Brexit is a factor, albeit maybe not the primary one this journalist decided to blame.  It's the easy scapegoat but at the same time you can't dismiss Brexit completely either.

Don't mean to insult you Brits, but it is wreaking havoc with money and many different companies that operate globally with a presence in the England.  It's a mess.  Uncertainty breeds instability.  What else would one expect?  It's not going to be a smooth ride through this for you folks.  Have family there, wish you all the best.   

I'm not here to talk politics, but I can't really see how Brexit would affect ship bookings. 

7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

@twangster

Also P&O have scrapped gratuity’s and it’s a big draw along with cheap beer prices and the ££ is used onboard..

Just now, Joe01 said:

I'm not here to talk politics, but I can't really see how Brexit would affect ship bookings. 

It business.  All businesses that operate globally with a presence in the UK are facing repercussions from Brexit, travel operators included.

Faced with uncertainty people are holding on to their money and not booking vacations in the same manner they have previously.  

Just now, twangster said:

It business.  All businesses that operate globally with a presence in the UK are facing repercussions from Brexit, travel operators included.

Faced with uncertainty people are holding on to their money and not booking vacations in the same manner they have previously.  

I don’t see any uncertainty whatsoever in the UK we are thriving 👍 

That's great.  Why are cruise bookings off in the UK?

I honestly don’t think they are, what’s the pax difference Indy to Anthem? It’s kinda like for like but the Indy must fit the Caribbean better, nothing to do with low booking otherwise they would send a smaller ship..

1 minute ago, Jason12 said:

I honestly don’t think they are, what’s the pax difference Indy to Anthem? It’s kinda like for like but the Indy must fit the Caribbean better, nothing to do with low booking otherwise they would send a smaller ship..

Anthem can take roughly 500 extra passengers.

10 minutes ago, Jason12 said:

So Royal's CFO lied to investors on it's earnings call with investors?  

That doesn't make sense.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

So Royal's CFO lied to investors on it's earnings call with investors?  

That doesn't make sense.  

Sorry have no clue about CFO or investors. 

The prices for Royal Caribbean Compared to the many other cruise lines out of Southampton are ridiculous. When they were released the message boards on facebook and such like were all disgusted with the pricing structure compared to the US. I get that US will be cheaper due to many many more ships but the UK pricing is awful IMO.

That's why I choose to fly elsewhere and cruise

He is an executive with the cruise line.  Right up there with the CEO.  Seems odd he would offer that European bookings are slow if they aren't.

To honest I did not realise they are only having one ship out of Southampton so scrap everything I’ve said 😂 I just thought they were replacing the Indy..👍 so yes something is going wrong..

2 minutes ago, J_Keeble said:

The prices for Royal Caribbean Compared to the many other cruise lines out of Southampton are ridiculous. When they were released the message boards on facebook and such like were all disgusted with the pricing structure compared to the US. I get that US will be cheaper due to many many more ships but the UK pricing is awful IMO.

That's why I choose to fly elsewhere and cruise

We don’t use Southampton anymore, prefer to fly Barcelona or Florida..👍