Corkage Fees - Are They Charging?

WannaCruise

10 hours ago, marti314 said:

nobody would judge you if you show up with a pour like this to dinner.  Most of us would be jealous and impressed

image.png.f5e4eab2f16eeb869fa5c3fd3dbb1210.png

Funny you should post that. Last cruise I was on, my dad decided that he wanted to make the most out of the wine he brought on so he transferred more than half the bottle to an empty water bottle from the cabin. It was all well and good when he did that with the white wine. But when he was cheered by that success and did the same with the red the next night I resolved to get him a portable wine tumbler for the next trip! 

On 3/1/2019 at 10:30 AM, marti314 said:

nobody would judge you if you show up with a pour like this to dinner.  Most of us would be jealous and impressed

image.png.f5e4eab2f16eeb869fa5c3fd3dbb1210.png

And this is why some other lines charge the "corkage fee" upon boarding...

I could certainly see RCL eventually just banning bringing onboard any wine, as they do with beer and liquor.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, karl_nj said:

And this is why some other lines charge the "corkage fee" upon boarding...

I could certainly see RCL eventually just banning bringing onboard any wine, as they do with beer and liquor.

I think you are incorrect here.  RCL did not ALWAYS allow wine to be brought on board, this is a rather new thing that started almost the same time they started their ALL YOU CAN DRINK packages.  

Also i can not understand how pouring yourself a full glass of wine is why others charge a corkage fee?

7 hours ago, marti314 said:

I think you are incorrect here.  RCL did not ALWAYS allow wine to be brought on board, this is a rather new thing that started almost the same time they started their ALL YOU CAN DRINK packages.  

Also i can not understand how pouring yourself a full glass of wine is why others charge a corkage fee?

I don't believe bringing wine on board has anything to do with the drink packages.

I do concede that between now and 1968 when Royal was started, the rules around what drinks you could bring on board have changed, and i'm sure the the rules will change again in the future.  But the drink packages started around, what, 2013?   You could bring wine aboard for years before that, and there was the potential for a corkage fee to be charged.  There was a period of time when there was no corkage fee, but they brought it back again.

• 2 weeks later...

OP here.  Thought I'd report back for anyone else wondering.  We just got off Symphony. 

Nights 1 and 2, had dinner in the specialty restaurants and so we ordered wine by the glass as it was easier. 

Nights 3-7, we had dinner in the MDR.  We brought 2 bottles on board, but they were the same wine, so we brought one bottle at a time to the MDR (where they stored each until finished).  Our servers were lovely.  And happy to report, no corkage fee was charged.