twangster

Liberty 2/25/18 7 Nights

3 hours ago, twangster said:

5a94398829cd2_LibertyWJam-10.jpg.6c1187bd66f3f21c8df8c024e62fed56.jpg

So firstly, I wasn't hungry but now I really am. I can see why norovirus (or any virus for that matter) would spread so easy with people putting the tongs back inside the food. (This is why I ALWAYS reach in the back under the top layer to try and get the safer stuff. 

Thanks @twangster so looking forward to next week.

Day 2 Dinner, 1st Formal Night

Menus are in the Diamond Lounge so I went up for a sneak peak.

LqPOQBm.jpg

I've got two hours to decide.  Thinking about a shrimp cocktail, Duck or Pork and I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

53 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

What?! That's the best part!  If I was there, it would be Creme Brulee, Royal Cheesecake, and Royal Chocolate Cake :15_yum:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

I've got two hours to decide.  Thinking about a shrimp cocktail, Duck or Pork and I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

You're on a cruise, that isn't something you should be concerned about lol. I would have 3 split between my wife and I, just because lol.

Last night for dinner I went with the "quack quack" as my head waiter called it.  (Duck)

It was good.  I was hoping for some Sherbet but it wasn't available.  My waiter said he would try to get some for the next night.

Captain's address in the promenade was at 8pm. 

In the theater last night was 'The Aerialists".  Very good.  The photography ban continues so no photos.

Today on day 3 it's another sea day.  We are approaching Cancun getting ready to make the turn South towards Roatán.

So far I'm liking Liberty.  In fact it may be my favorite of the Freedom class.

The mini golf course was relocated forward on the highest deck above the (newer) panoramic ocean view cabins.  

HyUvWh1.jpg

kd77a77.jpg

The St Tropez area features glass dividers to break the wind.  On Freedom this is open area and due to the winds it was lightly used on my cruise.  Staff didn't even bother to deploy loungers on Freedom.  On Liberty it's a nice quiet sundeck.  The glass dividers also provide some feeling of separation from other guests.

bhv5RYH.jpg

The adult only Solarium is very similar compared to sister ships Freedom and Independence. 

LnksT5J.jpg

EA3lA7G.jpg

YQE4OG0.jpg

The main pool area:

1DkPWqw.jpg

bk4kAM0.jpg

G7IhC1d.jpg

8tTrdJu.jpg

The H2O zone on Freedom and Indy is also a little nicer on Liberty.  Called Splash Away Bay it features the bucket of water drop and a structure kids can climb in with kiddie slides.  It's much more sophisticated compared to the H2O zone on Freedom or Indy.

s4xk8FZ.jpg

tHc5xqD.jpg

V2Z9ODd.jpg

The one thing I dislike is the addition of the Suite Lounge.  On Indy this was the primary Diamond club.  When Indy goes in for dry dock she too will receive this Suite Lounge. 

x39g6hG.jpg

The much smaller Diamond club on the starboard side has limited seating and with happy hour starting at 4:30pm on Liberty you had better show up by 3:30 pm if you want to sit in the Diamond club. 

I can see why they added the Suite Lounge.  On Oasis class ships Sky/Star Class benefits include a dedicated Suite Lounge and it's a great place for GS and above guests.  On older ships, GS and above benefits were lacking a similar Oasis class like venue.  I believe Royal is trying to add value for suite guests on more of the fleet and the Suite Lounge is a step in that direction.  

While it is a great benefit for Suite guests it really sucks for Diamond & Diamond Plus members.   With those ranks swelling suite guests were getting squeezed out of the Concierge Clubs.  While I can see why they made this move, they need to do something for D/D+.  Last night the Viking Crown Lounge held a private function.  The sign warning you that you may not take drinks out of the Diamond club remains but without any seating on deck 14 what choice do you have but to take your drink and head to a lower deck?  As more ships convert to Suite Lounge this is becoming an issue they'll need to address.

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

So far I'm liking Liberty.  In fact it may be my favorite of the Freedom class.

Why is it that every time you're on a ship, I start looking at their itinerary! HELP!!  Now instead of Freedom, I have to look at Liberty! LOL You make every cruise look better than the last one.

Maybe I should look at Liberty, that's one of my Golden Retrievers name! LOL Keep the pics coming please! 

11 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Why is it that every time you're on a ship, I start looking at their itinerary! HELP!!  Now instead of Freedom, I have to look at Liberty! LOL You make every cruise look better than the last one.

Maybe I should look at Liberty, that's one of my Golden Retrievers name! LOL Keep the pics coming please! 

My diabolical plot is working!

2 hours ago, twangster said:

5a957ff095386_LibertyDay2-13.jpg.e3303b9cf9ed58ad60ca26d996640988.jpg

It seems Freedom is the only Freedom Class ship without these swings.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The H2O zone is also a little nicer on Liberty.  It features the bucket of water drop and a structure kids can climb in with kiddie slides.  It's much more sophisticated compared to the H2O zone on Freedom or Indy.

During the last refurb, they replaced H2O Zone with Splashaway Bay.  It was a test for a similar Splashaway Bay that was being added to Harmony.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Why is it that every time you're on a ship, I start looking at their itinerary! HELP!! 

Phew, my cruise addiction issues don't seem as bad lol....aren't you up to 8-9 bookings by now @Boston Babe?!

Love the outdoor pics @twangster but I am safe and immune to this ship, can't do the Galveston thing...

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

can't do the Galveston thing

LOL!  I am 7 bookings but whose counting!! The April 2020 I'm waiting to switch to a June/July 2020 and I need a November 2020 to round out the next two years!

BTW, isn't Edge doing Europe in the summers? Aren't you looking at her for summer 2020? or were you planning on Europe? 

14 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

LOL!  I am 7 bookings but whose counting!! The April 2020 I'm waiting to switch to a June/July 2020 and I need a November 2020 to round out the next two years!

BTW, isn't Edge doing Europe in the summers? Aren't you looking at her for summer 2020? or were you planning on Europe? 

I am hoping to do Edge the summer of 2020 but not if she's in Europe. That would be a kid-free cruise and I won't go to Europe and leave them behind.  Maybe something interesting will come to Cape Liberty by then. That's another option.  Doubt hubby would want another Oasis class by summer 2020.  Or that might (dare I say it...) have to be a cruise free summer 😥.  We have to go to Disney World at the end of that summer too, Star Wars land will be calling by then.  

2 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I am hoping to do Edge the summer of 2020

Have given thought to maybe do Edge for March 2020, and switch Oasis to Summer 2020? That might be a good idea, that way you are giving hubby a break in between Oasis class! LOL or is that the one you booked Star or whatever on? LOL

30 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Love the outdoor pics @twangster but I am safe and immune to this ship, can't do the Galveston thing...

5 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I am hoping to do Edge the summer of 2020 but not if she's in Europe. That would be a kid-free cruise and I won't go to Europe and leave them behind.  Maybe something interesting will come to Cape Liberty by then. That's another option.  Doubt hubby would want another Oasis class by summer 2020.  Or that might (dare I say it...) have to be a cruise free summer 😥.  We have to go to Disney World at the end of that summer too, Star Wars land will be calling by then.  

Getting to Houston is a lot easier than getting to Europe.  Galveston isn't much different than getting from Orlando to Port Canaveral and you could even bring the kids!

5 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Have given thought to maybe do Edge for March 2020, and switch Oasis to Summer 2020? That might be a good idea, that way you are giving hubby a break in between Oasis class! LOL or is that the one you booked Star or whatever on? LOL

Nope.  Can't do that.  Kids would have a fit if we left them over March break to cruise on our own.  We cruise kid free every anniversary, which is in July.  That's our excuse :12_slight_smile:

I booked Oasis because I am interested to see what she will be like after "revitalization".  She was our first taste at Oasis class and we went on the inaugural sailing here in NA.  I'm sure lots has/will change on her by 2020 and I'm curious.  That and I am counting on the slides.  And Oasis is the best priced Oasis class ship during March break in 2020.  Sorry @twangster for hijacking your blog...

Entertainment Backstage Tour.

Saturday Night Fever is the main show on Liberty.  This afternoon I took the backstage tour.

1plf8Re.jpg

oM5tnhc.jpg

Two of the cast hosted the tour today.

HQTho5k.jpg

No dressing rooms on Liberty, this wardrobe area is right behind the main set.  

NzzUs5K.jpg

qLTlqCh.jpg

Some of the sets and backdrops that raise and lower weigh up to 1 ton.  They explained because the ship is made of steel and has a very rigid frame around the theater they can get away with such heavy set pieces.  Many theaters on land can't take heavy pieces like this.

pr7k8og.jpg

4Y3CqJ3.jpg