Liberty 2/25/18 7 Nights

twangster

Dinner in the MDR.  I put on the suit and tie but spotted a pro in the elevator.  He had one of those tuxedo t-shirts but was wearing a dark jacket over it.  Good from far and far enough good for a cruise.  Oh Alexa, order me a tuxedo shirt...

I ordered the upside lobster tail AND the prime rib.  Unfortunately the ship has run out of horseradish sauce. 

xTdUg4R.jpg

Top tier event in Studio B.  Since I was dressed up with no where to go, I figured why not?

S4bAKCV.jpg

Liberty has ALS - Air Lubrication System, the air bubbler system so the ship runs on a cushion of air. This was added in the last dry dock.  Speed right now is 25 knots.  

Top tier count - Platinum 330, Emerald 153, Diamond 338, Diamond Plus 152, Pinnacle 37.  

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

Dinner in the MDR.  I put on the suit and tie but spotted a pro in the elevator.  He had one of those tuxedo t-shirts but was wearing a dark jacket over it.  Good from far and far enough good for a cruise.  Oh Alexa, order me a tuxedo shirt...

I ordered the upside lobster tail AND the prime rib.  Unfortunately the ship has run out of horseradish sauce. 

5a9a01b6c3fa5_LibertyDay6Diner-1.jpg.44dd6670b13931cc831b6ad2441cd1cd.jpg

Oh my...

Image result for homer drooling

I decided to visit the Windjammer after dinner.  I have no idea why.  It was sort of an involuntary reaction.  The pork tenderloin was pretty good.  The RVC was very moist.  I could only squeeze in a small slice in the name of research and out of respect for @Sweety.  I feel so bloated as I write this.

zEDxtqE.jpg

In other news the 10 drink card is $79 plus 18% gratuity.  

Voom is pretty spotty right now.  I haven't been able to watch periscopes or stream for most of the cruise and tonight is no different despite excellent weather.  It seems there is more to O3b than just the platform itself. I've read that there are spot beams that follow ships and it seems Liberty isn't in the limelight this cruise.  I've got more pics to post from the day in Cozumel and our departure but the post above took three attempts.  Sea day tomorrow, hoping for better Voom once we are in the sea of endless oil rigs.   Voom speeds have been up and down.  Sometimes offering the normal 4Mb/2Mb but too often 1.2Mb down and 1.4Mb up.

My T-Mobile service works pretty good in Cozumel.  LTE with 9Mb down, 25 Mb up.  It was nice having solid internet while in port.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I decided to visit the Windjammer after dinner.  I have no idea why.  It was sort of an involuntary reaction.  The pork tenderloin was pretty good.  The RVC was very moist.  I could only squeeze in a small slice in the name of research and out of respect for @Sweety.  I feel so bloated as I write this.

5a9a13cda1ed5_LibertyDay6RVC-1.jpg.2144a9ba8782433075cc2bb2db634fb9.jpg

In other news the 10 drink card is $79 plus 18% gratuity.  

Voom is pretty spotty right now.  I haven't been able to watch periscopes or stream for most of the cruise and tonight is no different despite excellent weather.  It seems there is more to O3b than just the platform itself. I've read that there are spot beams that follow ships and it seems Liberty isn't in the limelight this cruise.  I've got more pics to post from the day in Cozumel and our departure but the post above took three attempts.  Sea day tomorrow, hoping for better Voom once we are in the sea of endless oil rigs.   Voom speeds have been up and down.  Sometimes offering the normal 4Mb/2Mb but too often 1.2Mb down and 1.4Mb up.

My T-Mobile service works pretty good in Cozumel.  LTE with 9Mb down, 25 Mb up.  It was nice having solid internet while in port.

Was it good?

Day 7 - Sigh Day

The day you go 'sigh' knowing it's the last night.  Ugh.

Beautiful sunset night somewhere around 200 NM away from Galveston.

0JXEMUQ.jpg

jfUadXp.jpg

Another ship has been following us since dawn (well since leaving Cozumel but I first spotted it at dawn).  It's gained us as we cruised at around 18-19 knots over the day.  I suspect it's the Carnival Breeze also heading to Galveston.  I've sailed on her and her sister ship the Magic in 2015.  In fact that's the last Carnival ship I sailed, also departing from Galveston.

wASizee.jpg

SUQRJcn.jpg

I watched it over the day off our port side trailing us all day.   At most times it was on a parallel course on our port side all day then recently it turned directly at us, then back to port, then back at us.  You could clearly see both in the face of the ship presented to us and in it's wake, it definitely was steering directly at us at times when it decided to turn more sharply across our wake and to our starboard side, always hovering right around the one nautical mile that I know is standard for separation.  

In the hour near and after sunset it has gained speed and is now on our starboard side overtaking us as we cruise a nominal 18-19 knots.  

UuLPP8c.jpg

It appears to be running at top speed. 

I fear there may be a medical situation onboard and they need to close the distance towards Galveston for assistance.  I'm wondering if it changed course or if we did.  Professional mariners on both ships, I'm positive they are in constant communication, sailing these water along each other week after week.

An7Pkzz.jpg

The self assist line circled all the way around the dining room.   At 7:30 am they started letting us off.  Scheduled time was 8am.   By 7:45am I was through and outside.   Lyft wanted $127 (no cars nearby) so I looked at Uber which was $52.   Needless to say I am in my Uber on the way to Hobby.  My flight is at 2:30pm so I'm hoping I can jump on an earlier flight.  

Last night "Britain's Finest" were in the main theater.   They are a Beatles Tribute band.   They are very good.  

Cruise summary

All in all it was a great cruise.  I got a great rate booking it under 90 days out.   I'm glad I was able to book one of the newer rooms on the ship.   Those slides on her have been calling my name and they didn't disappoint.   

I ended up eating most meals in the Windjammer.   The vegetable curry last night had great flavor.   Traveling solo the Windjammer is just easier.   

With this cruise in the books I've completed the Freedom class trilogy.   Galveston worked out pretty smoothly but next time I'll likely do a B2B.

Almost to Hobby airport and should arrive there around 8:40am.    

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Southwest wants $186 to try for standby.   Looks like I'm stuck in Hobby for 6 hours.  Can't check luggage until 10:30am.   I saved $150 flying Southwest but I miss my Delta.   

I prefer Delta as well.  It is like pricing out for interior staterooms or balcony staterooms.  Sometimes their prices are so far outside the other airlines.