Safety hazard and how to escalate further up

15 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Room selection is a good reason to use a travel agent, as already suggested. A TA can read deck plans that show which rooms are Pullman, which you state you want to avoid. 

The info should be easily accessible without going trough an agent. I don't need a TA, we travel quite often outside of cruises.

You can argue that the info is available, but it's not obvious when making a booking. 

3 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

Sorry, but no one on here feels there is anything “unsafe” about your current situation. 

As I said....my concerns may not be one for all of you, but it's still a valid one for my situation. 

My post wasn't about debating if my concerns are valid are not so your response is not of any assistance for me.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

About this, you're not wrong. Royal could make many enhancements to the booking system. Many have been discussed on these forums, including easier access to determine a stateroom's configuration during booking.

I am new here so obviously haven't read what has been said, but maybe if we escalate to the appropriate channels, changes could actually happen, no matter how small or irrelevant they may be for someone else.

9 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

Maybe, but still a concern of mine. Why diminish my concern just because others don't have the same concerns as mine?

The default answer, if you have tried the normal process, is to contact an executive. Their emails have been published elsewhere and by cruise consumer advocates. I'd suggest being brief and to the point. (How did Royal err and what remedy do you seek?)

4 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

The hospitality industry doesn't care who or how one sleeps in their beds, just that they've got heads on the pillows ($$).

All I'm saying is if my expactations don't meet what I have paid for, then the interior cabins with pullmans with no other options should clearly be identified at the time of booking! I should not have to google a deck plan, figure out what their codes mean, finding out that interior rooms only have pullmans when having the need to call them...

All is well until it isn't. I am sure no one died from falling out a pullman but severe injuries could occur.

Maybe it's an opportunity for them to relook at their rooms configurations to accomodate families with young children. 

Again, we've done other cruises, we were in an interior cabin with a sofa bed and everything was fine! We were happy and I did not complain because 'it didn't meet my expectations'. 

1 minute ago, ChessE4 said:

The default answer, if you have tried the normal process, is to contact an executive. Their emails have been published elsewhere and by cruise consumer advocates. I'd suggest being brief and to the point. (How did Royal err and what remedy do you seek?)

Thanks for this. First response where I don't feel judged and which is actually helpful. I will read other posts hoping to find an executive email...tried to find a 'Search' option but didn't find it. Will look again.

If I am understanding correctly, you booked an interior guarantee.  This is the cheapest option available for booking and doesn't entitle you to any choice.  You are going to get the best room that hasn't already sold - period.  If you want something more, you will need to pay for it.

5 hours ago, Ryan79 said:

Paying for an interior and expecting comfort for 4??!!! 😂🤣😂

Never had an issue in my previous cruises (except the last one) so yes, happy to pay for an interior cabin, with SAFE sleeping arrangements. 

8 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

If I am understanding correctly, you booked an interior guarantee.  This is the cheapest option available for booking and doesn't entitle you to any choice.  You are going to get the best room that hasn't already sold - period.  If you want something more, you will need to pay for it.

No, that is not it. I've explained multiple times in this post what my concerns are.

And for this specific cruise, I switch from a GTY to select your room because the room was cheaper than the GTY for a weird reason.

I can understand not wanting to put the little one in the Pullman. The sofa or with mom and dad in bed could have been an option. 

I don't know about other folks, but when I am looking to book a cruise, I have 3 things open on my tablet: 

-Royal website to see what's available

-Cruisedeckplans to see layout and pictures if available

-YouTube for videos showing actual people in the actual room

For the amount of money I am spending, you bet your biscuits I am doing my research. I want to see and know as much as possible. 

So again while I understand your concern, the onus is on YOU to know what you are getting. Or as suggested, a TA.

I don't think you will get the resolution you are looking for, but if it makes you feel better then do you.

1 hour ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

I can understand not wanting to put the little one in the Pullman. The sofa or with mom and dad in bed could have been an option. 

I don't know about other folks, but when I am looking to book a cruise, I have 3 things open on my tablet: 

-Royal website to see what's available

-Cruisedeckplans to see layout and pictures if available

-YouTube for videos showing actual people in the actual room

For the amount of money I am spending, you bet your biscuits I am doing my research. I want to see and know as much as possible. 

So again while I understand your concern, the onus is on YOU to know what you are getting. Or as suggested, a TA.

I don't think you will get the resolution you are looking for, but if it makes you feel better then do you.

Again ...

The information should be more easily accessible ... Like why going through hoops to get the info when it could easily be available on the booking page directly...

And in the case that I am addressing, it is NOT a GTY. 

1 hour ago, VeronicaS1970 said:

We were 3 in the bed. My oldest (5 at the time) slept on the floor as she was not comfortable on the sofa. Regardless, we were told we were getting a sofa bed BY Royal Caribbean, TWICE! Anyways...that was taken care of, we met in the middle and we were compensated. 

This time around, we are trying to prevent from the same thing happening. Different scenario. 

So essentially you booked a specific room that you later discovered does not meet your expectations. There is no way for the RC system to know you are not comfortable with or cannot use Pullman beds. As many others have stated they will not assume that the pullmans are for children. They would assume two of your party are willing to sleep in them given that you are booking a room with them specifically. I think it’s unlikely they will compensate you for this. In my opinion your best option is the ocean view for $500 more.  Sorry if you don’t feel this advice is helpful. I don’t want to mislead you into waiting for a better option and then risking the suitable room being booked by someone else. 

I will say this ...

When we ran into issue ON the ahip, everything was handled with professionalism, respect and the customer service was great!

I really can't say the same for the on shore customer service. 

Repricing is super difficult to do (called their customer service, after 30 not so pleasant minutes with no avail, they told me to call again the next day to be transferred to their resolution team and within 5 minutes, reprice was completed). This is not what I call a great customer service experience and we shouldn't have to move mountains to get resolution.

3 minutes ago, 27th Lady said:

So essentially you booked a specific room that you later discovered does not meet your expectations. There is no way for the RC system to know you are not comfortable with or cannot use Pullman beds. As many others have stated they will not assume that the pullmans are for children. They would assume two of your party are willing to sleep in them given that you are booking a room with them specifically. I think it’s unlikely they will compensate you for this. In my opinion your best option is the ocean view for $500 more.  Sorry if you don’t feel this advice is helpful. I don’t want to mislead you into waiting for a better option and then risking the suitable room being booked by someone else. 

I am saying the info should be right in my face when booking! 

When booking, they should know how old are the kids and should advise re: pullmans and their own regulations around them. 

It is also not my fault if their cheapest option is designed for typical families that don't care about the pullmans OR meet the age/weight/height restricitions. Yes, I do find it discriminatory to say 'hey...you have 2 children under 6 years old and both parents can't sleep on the pullmans? Well, sucks to be you, now pay for the upgrade'. 

Anyways...again...not the goal of my post to debate if my concerns are valid or not, what to pay or not pay, to cruise or not to cruise....was hoping to get some contact infirmation where I could escalate my concerns, which I later found through other means. 

45 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

Anyways...again...not the goal of my post to debate if my concerns are valid or not, what to pay or not pay, to cruise or not to cruise....was hoping to get some contact infirmation where I could escalate my concerns, which I later found through other means. 

If all you wanted was contact information, you should have just repeatedly asked for it. Instead you have argued with everyone.

What fascinates me is people like you who don't create an account on a site like this and research there vacations in advance. But instead wait till they have had problems and come to complain about it.

You could have done a search and found old post about complaints where peoples replies included corporate emails etc. instead you came to complain. Not everything on any website is 100% black and white. Had you bothered to join this site before your trip, you might have gotten information and knew better what you were getting yourself into. People come here and ask endless questions about the cabin configuration, beds, location of beds, size, etc. All before a cruise. Not after. We live in a world where customer service people are often in another part of the world, and therefore are not 100% reliable. We come here to give each other first hand realtime answers and advice. 

The bottom line is this is how it works. I strongly suggest you move on to other cruise lines or suck it up and pay for a cabin that meets your very specific needs in the future. (Like other people do)

40 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

If all you wanted was contact information, you should have just repeatedly asked for it. Instead you have argued with everyone.

What fascinates me is people like you who don't create an account on a site like this and research there vacations in advance. But instead wait till they have had problems and come to complain about it.

You could have done a search and found old post about complaints where peoples replies included corporate emails etc. instead you came to complain. Not everything on any website is 100% black and white. Had you bothered to join this site before your trip, you might have gotten information and knew better what you were getting yourself into. People come here and ask endless questions about the cabin configuration, beds, location of beds, size, etc. All before a cruise. Not after. We live in a world where customer service people are often in another part of the world, and therefore are not 100% reliable. We come here to give each other first hand realtime answers and advice. 

The bottom line is this is how it works. I strongly suggest you move on to other cruise lines or suck it up and pay for a cabin that meets your very specific needs in the future. (Like other people do)

Lol......okay. You are missing the point and seems like my concerns have absolutely no value to you, which I respect. I will also say to respect me in return. 'people like you' yeah...okay. People like me. 🙄 

I am allowed to explain my reasoning and to defend myself and perhaps bring a different point of view on the table. If you think I argue with everyone, that's on you. 

I just found out about this platform today....no, I did not read through all the posts and etc. No I did not create an account before planning my vacations. Not everyone is an internet guru nor as the time to read endless posts. Geez, Give me a break!

If you can't/don't want to help then scroll down and move on. Don't need you to tell me what should I have done and what I should do and what not. 

Well, okay then, I'll trust strangers on the Internet about what a company offers  over their very own customer service.....great advice! Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

Well, okay then, I'll trust strangers on the Internet about what a company offers  over their very own customer service.....great advice! Thanks!

It is good advice. You can get a great deal of helpful advice here. First stop all the my way or the highway junk. 

Did there professional customer service advise work out for you? No!

So why be so quick to slam trying out ours?

Work with us and except the way things are isn't always the way "they should be". The average person here knows 100 times more than those so called customer service people. This is first hand, real time, knowledge and advice. Stop slamming it and sit up and pay attention. Maybe you can actually learn something. 

29 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

It is good advice. You can get a great deal of helpful advice here. First stop all the my way or the highway junk. 

Work with us and except the way things are isn't always the way "they should be". The average person here knows 100 times more than those so called customer service people. This is first hand, real time, knowledge and advice. Stop slamming it and sit up and pay attention. Maybe you can actually learn something. 

Thanks for being so helpful! 

Have a gorgeous day! 😁

9 hours ago, Someone_else said:

When we ran into issue ON the ahip, everything was handled with professionalism, respect and the customer service was great!

I really can't say the same for the on shore customer service. 

This is the case for every customer service situation...shoreside customer service is terrible compared to your experience on board. I see this time and time again with all kinds of situations people post about. It's a shame that excellent customer service doesn't continue off the ship  😐

One could hope bringing this up to anyone high up in the company will actually make a difference, but it hasn't made much change in the past.

Your ask is a huge one, especially considering how terrible Royal's IT is. But if no one asks, it's nearly a guarantee nothing will ever change 

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Not to excuse it, but shoreside deals with a much broader topic of issues than guest services on board would. Also a lot more he said/she said once you leave the ship.

Yeah, I can understand and appreciate. Improvements could be done thougj, such as the re-pricing process.

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Not to excuse it, but shoreside deals with a much broader topic of issues than guest services on board would. Also a lot more he said/she said once you leave the ship.

They do..but I'm surprised at some of the answers they give. I know they're not going to be able to educate all customer service reps well enough on the product to answer every question, but I don't know is a better answer than giving out incorrect information and making false statements.

Most of the time a travel agent will have you book two inside connecting cabins with one adult in each.  What people do then is they leave that connecting door open and the kids sleep on one side and the parents in the other. Or what you could do is separate the beds and one parent sleep with one kid and the other in the other cabin.

Like others said the travel agent would of told you that the inside cabins are too small for a pull out couch.  Everyone on here uses MEI travel and said great things about them and they don't charge you a fee to use them.

Could improvements be made on royal's end to improve booking....YES.

Maybe try contacting a government agency and see what they say. I'm no lawyer but I don't think there is anything to be done. Next time do the research ahead of time or use a travel agent (a good travel agent is free to use and is extremely knowledge for people who aren't).

I hope everything was worked out to your satisfaction! Here's a screenshot that may be helpful in the future (and you may be aware of this). When you select your cabin when using Royal's website,  such as interior shown here, the little blue box to the right will say "View Details". Click it to view some details about the room, including the beds. This example is from an Interior on Grandeur but I'm assuming,  and maybe I shouldn't,  all ships would include this information. 

I hope the rest of your family's cruising experiences are wonderful!

Screenshot_20240414_131356_Royal.jpg

12 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

6 minutes ago, Biaggio said:

To can hardly wait….Please keep your attitude to yourself. They came here for help and you are not showing the respect and help this board gives. Telling someone to “I strongly suggest you move on to other cruise lines or suck it up” has no place here. 

I tried to help and was shot down over and over. It becomes obvious very fast when someone doesn't want help and just wants to complain. There are others who actually liked that particular post, so too bad for you. No apologies here honey. 

18 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

I tried to help and was shot down over and over. It becomes obvious very fast when someone doesn't want help and just wants to complain. There are others who actually liked that particular post, so too bad for you. No apologies here honey. 

Oh come on. Don't you have any better things to do than reading my posts and keep hitting on the nail? You've made your point loud and clear. It won't change the fact that I am allowed to have concerns and even if they are not valid for YOUR person, doesn't mean they are not legitimate for ME. 

13 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

On 4/13/2024 at 10:04 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

Technically they did offer you are cabin that accommodates your party. Beds for children and Pullmans for adults. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:18 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

She is out of luck on this point. Who says the Pullman's, sofa beds, etc are for children. I would have slept in the Pullman and put my kids in the bed, not on the floor. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

Respect the facts in the replies.

Children in Beds (not the floor)

Adults in Pullmans.

Royal Caribbean gave you an option/cabin that was safe for the age and size of the people involved. You chose and choose to not see it that way. 

On 4/13/2024 at 11:27 AM, CanHardlyWait said:

Switch to newer ships that only have sofa beds (no Pullman's). You can still do GTY and not worry. See if you can pay change fee and move reservations to newer ships. 

13 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

12 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

11 hours ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Finally. Your Very Welcome!

36 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

19 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Switch hats again. LOL.

Tell me...how were you super helpful other than telling me what I should have done, what I should do and how lame I sound? You never actually provided me with with a contact info as far as  I can tell?

1 minute ago, Someone_else said:

Oh come on. Don't you have any better things to do than reading my posts and keep hitting on the nail? You've made your point loud and clear. It won't change the fact that I am allowed to have concerns and even if they are not valid for YOUR person, doesn't mean they are not legitimate for ME. 

First, you have so many "hats". LOL. Looks like you have nothing better to do. 

I totally respect you have the right to feel the way you feel. However, to save some time it's important to be open to the responses and the advice. Even if it's not what you were hoping to hear. You very much were not open to any of it. 

People were legit trying to help you. Myself included. The set up of cabins on older ships is what it is. Asking on a site like this for first hand information cannot hurt. Sometimes customer service people are not even in this country and don't speak the best English. They almost never have personal experience traveling on these ships. Newer ships don't even have Pullmans, so avoid old ones in future. Definitely check the configuration with more than just a customer service rep in future. I think you are probably not a good candidate for GTY cabins. However, with research here, you could be in time. (If that's something you would be interested in). When dealing with a problem, do it all onboard. Very hard to fix any issues after the voyage. Trying to get Royal Caribbean to change the wording in cabin descriptions is a futile battle. However, go for it if you want. (You did say you don't have much time to ask questions here etc) Getting Royal to change policy would be a major time suck. But that's advice, not a slam. More advice, loose the "government officials" bit. It comes off very Karen like and you will instantly loose credibility. Again, advice, not a slam. 

For someone who said very sarcastically you didn't have time to come here and research trips in advance, you sure are spending a lot of time here on this. Maybe you have more time than you realize?

I just gave you a ton of legit advice on your issue and on using this site for all it can be worth with an open mind. I genuinely hope you take something positive from it.

Multiple post have been made by you while I've been typing this sincere response to you. Hope they are constructive. Hope you find something I just spent 10 minutes typing helpful in the future. 

46 minutes ago, Someone_else said:

You tell them mama bear. Family comes first. Go girl! 

What are you talking about so many hats? I don't get this, but will admit English, just like RC customer service apparently (I find they are more fluent then but anyways...) is not my first language so may be an unknown expression.

I think I am done here, all has been said and I think we agree to disagree.

✌️

Love, 

Karen