Jamies - the Good, the Bad, the So-so

barjpoe

Two of the best options are no longer available. 

I liked the original burrata and arancini, both are truffle based now so........

The plank and ultimate garlic bread are always decent.

The bolognese is always good, they no longer have the Pomodoro. 

Also the sticky short rib is pretty good. 

Can't say what to stay away from because your taste is unique.

I liked the salmon on both the old and new menus but prefer the new (current) one.

I also loved the banana split, which sounds daft because it's just a banana and ice cream, right? But the ice cream was really good, much better than MDR ice cream and they put some sort of crispy caramelly stuff on top that was just wonderful. 😋

57 minutes ago, Gilley said:

I’m booked at Jamie’s on Anthem.  Just realized my boarding is at 11:30 and my reservation for Jamie’s is at 12:00.  Will they hold me to that time?  Will they seat me if I come late?

Yeah get there as quick as you can.  You could probably sneak your arrival time to the port back to 10:45-11:00 and not be denied if you were inclined.

• 1 month later...

Since I started this topic, I'm reporting back.

Enjoyed our meals at Jamie's Did a luncheon and a dinner. DH liked the crispy squid (the MDR's fried calamari was not good). I liked the eggplant; had the cheesecake for dessert both times: good & plenty. Hubby had the banana split for his desert also good & plenty. Didn't get the meat plank so can't comment on it.

I loved lunch at Giovanni’s on Independence earlier this month.  Now I have Jamie’s booked for lunch when I sail Symphony in May.  I do notice the menu is quite different for each restaurant.  We tried everything on the menu while on Indy and hoping to try as much as possible at Jamie’s!  Looking forward to comparing them myself!

I had it for the first time last week.  Personally I thought it was the worst specialty restaurant in the fleet by far.  Other than the banana split, I thought the rest of the items I tried were extremely underwhelming or just plain bad.  I will definitely be choosing other options (including the MDR) in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, happy cruisers 2 said:

Wow.  Some like Jamie's, others don't seem too happy with it.  We booked it for lunch on Mariner in May.  Now I might need to reconsider.

I would never not go somewhere without trying it myself. Food is subjective so of course some like it and some don't.

Something obviously looked good to you and if you booked it at 40% off during the Black Friday sale, even more of a reason to try it IMO.

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

I would never not go somewhere without trying it myself. Food is subjective so of course some like it and some don't.

Something obviously looked good to you and if you booked it at 40% off during the Black Friday sale, even more of a reason to try it IMO.

You're so right.  I think we'll like it.  We're not big foodies, and are usually quite easily pleased when it comes to Italian.  We got lunch for $12.99 each, so I think that sounds like a good deal.

Yes, the lunch is good. And for that price go for it. If you can find the lunch menu, look it over. The dinner menu has a few more items on it. There is no longer the burger. DH had the Crispy Squid (Calamari) he said it was good and had it again another time. I had the Tomato Bruschetta, it was ok. For the entree: he had the Lasagna (it was a lot) & I had the Eggplant parm (it is now called something else in Italian). For dessert: he had the Banana Spilt  (also a big portion) & I had the blueberry cheesecake. I enjoyed it the next time we went we share the cheesecake. The server automatically brought the Garlic Bread. 1 roll each 

15 hours ago, JFCruise said:

@barjpoe - Did they have any restrictions at lunch regarding how much you could order?

I don't think so. unlike chops that you only can order one entree. Between the apps, pasta, sides, and then the entree, and then dessert: that's a lot of food; (If its just 2 of you); but if there are many and share go for it.  The waiter may also come back and ask if you want anything else

On 12/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, happy cruisers 2 said:

Wow.  Some like Jamie's, others don't seem too happy with it.  We booked it for lunch on Mariner in May.  Now I might need to reconsider.

I had Jamie's on Mariner twice. The first time was abysmal(pre-shutdown), and the second was passable(post-shutdown). I have it booked for next month because neither my brother nor mother has ever had it. It was only $12.99 for lunch, and I figured with "new" menu and crew I should give it another chance. 

4 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Boy I've only had Jaime's on Anthem and we loved it. I'm surprised by the bad reviews here. If I remember correctly we liked it so much we went twice. 

I had Jamie's on Harmony a couple of times, and it was amazing. I think for the smaller ships, sometimes the specialty restaurants aren't as good. 

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I had Jamie's on Harmony a couple of times, and it was amazing. I think for the smaller ships, sometimes the specialty restaurants aren't as good. 

Funny you mention that as Harmony is where I just had it for the first time and didn't care for it (team Giovanni's!).  Just shows that everything food related is subjective so you really should try things for yourself.

5 hours ago, billdauterive said:

Funny you mention that as Harmony is where I just had it for the first time and didn't care for it (team Giovanni's!).  Just shows that everything food related is subjective so you really should try things for yourself.

Totally subjective.  We loved Jamie's so much on Harmony in January that we convinced our daughter to go on her honeymoon on Harmony and they loved it to.  I liked it better than Giovanni's, but it's been a long time since I did Giovanni's.  Maybe I need to book another cruise... Just for testing purposes of course 🤣.  Jane

• 2 months later...

Had lunch at Jamies last week for Embarkation day on Anthem. Yeah, it's the first outright bad meal I've had there. Everything was just a notch lower than it used to be. The "Squid" was rubbery and the oil it was cooked in was spent. So it tasted vaguely burnt and the coating just all fell off. Terrible. Meat plank was good. Hard to mess that up. Tagliatelle was one large gummy mass. Sauce was okay I guess, it was just hard to get past how bad the pasta was. The replacement for the JI burger is the Chicken "Burger." It tasted fine but was minuscule and mostly bun. But the sauce used was great and while appetizer sized, was the best thing I had. The formerly "Epic" brownie definitely lived down to its name change. Same brownie you get in the WJ. Two dots of Chocolate sauce and three bits of the caramel popcorn. the salted Caramel Ice cream was good.

It's just MDR/WJ food now served by a waiter. They might as well just bring on Giovanni's whatever.

4 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Had lunch at Jamies last week for Embarkation day on Anthem. Yeah, it's the first outright bad meal I've had there. Everything was just a notch lower than it used to be. The "Squid" was rubbery and the oil it was cooked in was spent. So it tasted vaguely burnt and the coating just all fell off. Terrible. Meat plank was good. Hard to mess that up. Tagliatelle was one large gummy mass. Sauce was okay I guess, it was just hard to get past how bad the pasta was. The replacement for the JI burger is the Chicken "Burger." It tasted fine but was minuscule and mostly bun. But the sauce used was great and while appetizer sized, was the best thing I had. The formerly "Epic" brownie definitely lived down to its name change. Same brownie you get in the WJ. Two dots of Chocolate sauce and three bits of the caramel popcorn. the salted Caramel Ice cream was good.

It's just MDR/WJ food now served by a waiter. They might as well just bring on Giovanni's whatever.

Sorry to hear that. Our lunches at Jamies on Anthem were all good, both before and after they switched the menu. It was also good on the Symphony cruise we've just been on but with the caveat that the banana split I'd been so looking forward to was a disappointment. The three big scoops of high quality ice cream that I remembered from Anthem were three small scoops of normal ice cream on Symphony.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

The three big scoops of high quality ice cream that I remembered from Anthem were three small scoops of normal ice cream

Symbolically, this represents nearly all the changes of the past year IMO. Add "and it costs more than ever" and you have summed up this past year on Royal.

42 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

Just to respond back. Have gone there twice for embarkation lunch. always get the egg plant parm. love the blueberry cheese cake. First time DH had the squid it was good, second time not so. 

We are doing Jaime's on Anthem this Sunday for lunch, embarkation. We have eaten there for dinner before it's always been excellent.