From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Baked Alaska is the only dessert that Royal's MDR gets a 10/10 for. 

It was good. I will give them that. It has shrunk though. More evidence of cost cutting. 

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

It is crazy that the random stuffed tomato is sending me off. It looks nice?

That thing was a stuffed pepper! 🤣

13 hours ago, BeachGal said:

@Ampurp85 this comment is perfection! I have a love/hate relationship with so many of the desserts on board.  Such high hopes that are quickly dashed after one bite...sigh.

summed it up for me 😂 i was laughing so hard; a triumph and a let down. 

13 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Thank you @Jax and @Ampurp85. I no longer need to eat dinner.  😀

+1 🙃🙃🙃🙃

thank you @Jax and co for explaining beaver tails. i’m still on the fence, though they sound delicious! (i am not a huge donut eater)

11 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just sprinkle some truffle salt on it! 😂

even truffle salt may not save us now 😅😂

also that cheese tortellini from the royal dinner in the MDR is TAUNTING me. i see you, cheese tortellini. you just need a fried sage leaf and black truffle butter and small cubes of squash to be my beloved CK dinner... 

11 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Pretty uneventful day today, but much needed after a few busy port days. Before dinner, Hubby and I spent some time having drinks in the suite lounge. The ship has picked up a lot more motion as the day has gone on. The fog never lifted and that fog horn is still going. Over dinner in the MDR, we could see the waves and the white caps. No white bags in the hallway but for the girls and I, we can definitely feel it. Everyone has been taking Gravol (Canadian version of Dramamine) today. 

It was Royal Night in the MDR tonight. Food was decent. Probably the best meal so far, but still no wow.
eb045b95-b860-4d2b-adb4-48b497fd7b6a.thumb.jpeg.1298feda857a1757e2bbbd385d17a7c8.jpeg

0880fe9a-dd3a-4a21-a371-c0f8a43f8547.thumb.jpeg.217a172c6b52399048d032a935514293.jpeg

Looks like Red Velvet Cake!!!!

31 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

that cheese tortellini from the royal dinner in the MDR is TAUNTING me

That's funny... it's one of the few MDR entrees my picky wife will eat (not saying she'll love it, but she will at least eat cheese tortellini in general). And fortunately for me it's served on lobster night (which I think is overrated but definitely edible).

7 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Wow I have to say you have had unbelievable weather for every port on this cruise!  So happy for you!  Enjoy your day today…

7 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Your weather looks much better than yesterday. Enjoy your day in port!

Yes, we have been completely blessed this trip with good weather. Even days when the weather did not look good, it turned around.

7 hours ago, asquared17 said:

also that cheese tortellini from the royal dinner in the MDR is TAUNTING me.

Hubby and D17 ate it all, but I did not think it was good at all. 

7 hours ago, Sweety said:

Looks like Red Velvet Cake!!!!

It was! Decent. Not quite Chops but decent. 

This morning we took a 1/2 day tour to Peggy’s Cove through Royal. It was called “Halifax Highlights & Peggy’s Cove”. The tour itself was not bad, but our guide was pretty awful. It sounded like she read off a sheet the entire time. 

For those who are headed to Peggy’s Cove, it was pretty chilly and windy there so be warned. 
IMG_8762.thumb.jpeg.55828c3ab434f5effe4aa9fb889ccfc7.jpeg

Some more photos from Peggy’s Cove from Hubby’s phone. They gave us about an hour here.

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8775.jpeg

IMG_8776.jpeg

Video clips on IG.  I forgot to mention that I have saved all my stories for the trip in highlights so if you were not able to catch it within 24hours, you can find it under highlights. 🙂

Back on the ship now and going to watch a 5:30pm showing of Saturday Night Fever. The times for this show are not good. It only shows tonight, on a port day, at 5:30/8:30pm, or tomorrow afternoon. The 8:30pm time is messed for MTD because it doesn’t start until 6:45pm and we generally don’t get out of there until 8:15-8:20pm. So we decided to see the show now and told our waiters that we will be a bit late tonight for dinner. 

Oooooh bacon😍😋

But the weather really has been great for your ports. I am happy that the port food seems to check all the boxes.

But ugh either a matinee or a late show only?

I hope Saturday Night Fever is at least good, not a real fan of the movie......I am sensing a theme because I didn't like Grease either. Royal needs to stop turning John Travolta movies into shows😭🤣

On 8/30/2023 at 10:49 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I actually haven't been inside a park since pre-covid. The waffle sandwich could be gone entirely for all I know. We do occasionally go to Disney Springs for a restaurant somewhat similar to Mason Jar though.

Which restaurant do you guys go to that is like Mason jar? Would love to try it next time we are in Orlando

2 minutes ago, JVPIII said:

Which restaurant do you guys go to that is like Mason jar? Would love to try it next time we are in Orlando

Art Smith's Homecomin'  (He used to be Oprah's chef then kinda became a celebrity chef).

https://www.homecominkitchen.com/

We've only gone for dinner.

Locals tip: It's impossible to get reservations but you don't need them if you eat at any reasonably early time. We got there at 5:00 last time we went expecting to have to put our name in and then planning to walk around for a bit... and they wanted to seat us immediately. We weren't trying to eat that early so we came back closer to 6:00 and there was a 5 minute wait. For some reason they insist on leaving tons of room open for walk-ins.

48 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Art Smith's Homecomin'  (He used to be Oprah's chef then kinda became a celebrity chef).

https://www.homecominkitchen.com/

We've only gone for dinner.

Locals tip: It's impossible to get reservations but you don't need them if you eat at any reasonably early time. We got there at 5:00 last time we went expecting to have to put our name in and then planning to walk around for a bit... and they wanted to seat us immediately. We weren't trying to eat that early so we came back closer to 6:00 and there was a 5 minute wait. For some reason they insist on leaving tons of room open for walk-ins.

The menu looks awesome!  Chicken and Donuts…lol!  😋 

10 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Chicken and Donuts

Chicken and waffles are too healthy for him. 🤷‍♂️

I usually get the Thigh High Chicken Biscuits as my entree and then split a couple sides with my wife. The biscuits are great and by the time you have all three it adds up to a pretty filling sandwich platter (they come like sliders).

Just WOW.

It's been a while, and I'd forgotten how detailed and awesome your blogs are!!!  BRAVO to you and your family.

I just spent over an hour reading this and that was from page 2 (I had started back then but was overwhelmed, and then that pesky Idalia decided to drop by).

I have been watching your excursions on IG, but this is so much more fun.  Matt mentioned tonight to check out your tête-à-tête with the waiter/head chef in WJ and it was worth it.  I kinda wish you had been more vocal - they need to know.

Thank you so much for taking such time to share with us.

Safe travels home tomorrow!

6 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I hope Saturday Night Fever is at least good, not a real fan of the movie......I am sensing a theme because I didn't like Grease either.

The show was good! We were not fans of the storyline either and found it a lot like Grease as well, but it was performed well by the cast. They said no photos or videos during the show though 😕

1 hour ago, Floski said:

It's been a while, and I'd forgotten how detailed and awesome your blogs are!!! 

Maybe it’s the teacher in me lol. Always happy to have you along! ❤️

1 hour ago, Floski said:

kinda wish you had been more vocal - they need to know.

I probably would have if the rest of the family did not look so embarrassed lol

A few random things…

We found out from our room attendant that D+ actually gets one free bag of laundry per D+ adult. So for us, that would have been two bags. We did one two days ago and he reminded us today that we can do another. However, today was such a busy time in port that we didn’t have a chance to put another bag together. We literally left at 8am for our excursion, came back at 5pm and headed straight to the show, and then dinner. But good reminder for those who are D+ that it’s one bag per adult member. 

On this sailing, I would say that we made  good use of our D+ benefits. We used several drink vouchers each day. Kids got quite a few non-alcoholic drinks as well. We got one bag of laundry, could have had two. And we always get the free photos. So as much as in grumpy at the cutbacks, they still have some pretty good perks for D+ members.

The arancini seem to have gotten better, I had them on Grandeur early this year and they were the size of baseballs and drrrryyyy. The chicken parm is usually too much. The pasta and sauce are bland, but the chicken is usually juicy and seasoned but nothing is a wow. 

I ate in the MDR each night on freedom in Aril and the food was hot and pretty good. But I never left satisfied, like satisfied in the sense that all my tastebuds were jumping. So I understand what you mean. 

8 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The chicken parm is usually too much. 

I did not have the chicken parm but that is exactly what how the kids described it. 

9 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

But I never left satisfied, like satisfied in the sense that all my tastebuds were jumping. So I understand what you mean.

Exactly! Even after a night like tonight, because we love Italian food, it’s not as satisfying as I feel when I leave Jamie’s or Giovanni’s. 

On Wonder last week I had the chicken parm on whatever night they served it....can't recall.  I thought it was ok.  Not great, but waaay better than some of the other things I tried from the MDR on that cruise.  Oh wait....now I recall.  I got chicken parm on lobster night b/c I wanted both !  They brought my lobster tail to me as an app and then brought my chicken parm when they brought Dan's main course.  I thought that was a good solution.

Day 9 - Sea Day

Last day of the cruise today, but first sea day that it’s actually nice out.
IMG_8794.thumb.jpeg.001ac552b0bb8dadad34f6492ab76028.jpeg

Temps are not warm, about 18°C, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit, but Hubby is still out there flowriding. I had breakfast in Chops again, and now just relaxing and trying to find the will to gather up my things to start packing. 

I also forgot to post this a few nights ago, it’s pics of the suite lounge here on Liberty for those who were asking. It’s up on Deck 14, next to the Olive & Twist. Carded entry, but because the door stays open for a while, there are some who get by. However, the crew in suite lounge are very good about recognizing faces. I have seen a few re-directed over the last few days. They are doing a better job than on Wonder. 

No bar here but the drink server in here is fantastic! Gusti is super attentive and literally grabs your drink the second you walk in. No crowds in here. Even during happy hour, it’s busy, but not overcrowded. During non-happy hour, it’s a ghost town, like when we took this picture around 8:30pm one night.

427cc51b-d4b2-4f1b-b8d3-5051ca778a25.jpeg

5ea7cd1a-70dd-4f09-8875-8b69e4519b88.jpeg

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Hopefully the people boarding tomorrow like it... b/c they booked Bermuda but are getting yours due to the hurricane (unless they decided to take the refund, of course).

I heard! Lots of grumbling about that. I get it though, if I booked a cruise to Bermuda expecting hot weather and got Portland and Halifax (brrr…), and found out two days prior to sailing,  I would be a bit upset too. But on the flip side, Royal cannot control the weather, and you have to expect itinerary changes if you book during hurricane season. I cannot wait to book my “Hell to the bell” cruise the September that I retire! I could care less where that sailing ends up 😂