Price different between Jr. Suite and Balcony

I calculate value of room, food, entertainment, and destination travel. I don't pay more than 250 for room, and the rest is worth 150 for a couple. So I don't pay more than 200 per day per person with taxes. That's 1400 on 7N cruise. We once got jr suite at that level, but usually balcony. Others splurge on vacation. I believe in getting your money's worth, but you've got to know when you've had it. (Hemingway.)

This is something which really depends what  is important to you. The JS will get you:

1. Dubble C&C points (so if you are missing 8 to 14 points for diamond  it's something to take I to consideration , 4 X 2 free drinks X 7 X 14 = 784 $).

2. Bigger Balcony most likely with recliners)

3. Bigger room.

4. Walking in closet.

5. Option to eat dinner in Costal kitchen. 

6. Bathtub.

So it's depends what is important to you. Are you going to use the balcony allot ? Is bathtub important ? The fact you have a huge closet were you can easily stor your luggage ? 

On the other hand some people will say that they will use the 1600 $ to take extra cruise or use it to UDP.

Besides what's been said, consider how much time will you actually spend in your cabin, and (if traveling with others) could you use the additional space for entertaining and how often would you be hosting in your cabin?

Quickly glancing over your post history, if this is your 3 person, Oasis sailing I'd personally skip the Jr. Suite for an additional $2,400. That amount would pay for a multitude of add-ons which most people would get more enjoyment out of than booking an upgraded cabin. Or for that amount, you might be able to book two cabins instead of one and get more space with two bathrooms.

How I evaluate the price of a cruise is how much per person/ per night is this going to cost? What is my price out the door divided by the number of nights and then divided by the amount of people in the cabin.

I find this number to be very important. It keeps me grounded when I might be seduced into buying all the various extras for an already good vacation.

With Traveler on this. Wants vs needs, value  perception,  budget (if you have one) etc.

Since Mrs. Geezer & I are rookies, the ship IS the experience as much as the destinations. For as long as we do this, that will probably remain true. Do we squeeze every ounce of out of all the ship has to offer? Not even close. We sail Frank Sinatra style "My (Our) Way". Don't feel the least bit shortchanged.  And Mrs. Geezer loves her "Bathtub of the Seas" whenever possible. 

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

I have come to the realization that JS is the minimum requirement for me.  I have stayed in/seen spacious balcony cabins and they are just too small.  I know I won’t be happy in one.  So if the price of a JS is too high, I will look for a different cruise.  

Plus 1

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

This is something which really depends what  is important to you. The JS will get you:

1. Dubble C&C points (so if you are missing 8 to 14 points for diamond  it's something to take I to consideration , 4 X 2 free drinks X 7 X 14 = 784 $).

3. Bigger room.

4. Walking in closet.

6. Bathtub.

So it's depends what is important to you. Are you going to use the balcony allot ? Is bathtub important ? The fact you have a huge closet were you can easily stor your luggage ? 

On the other hand some people will say that they will use the 1600 $ to take extra cruise or use it to UDP.

don't forget the twice daily stateroom service

There are all kinds of reasons to desire a bigger room besides what is written on the Crown and Anchor benefits page. It could be the location of the room, it could be the itinerary of the sailing, it could be the celebration of a special occasion, or if you are like me; I want a place to dry my scuba gear-- all valid or justifiable reasons. But you still have to know that out-the-door/per person/ per night number. 

Even if it is a Grand Suite or above, Would I spend $500 pp/pn on a quick n' dirty Freedom 3 nighter to Nassau? No!  Would I spend $500 pp/pn on a 9 nighter to Hawaii? HELL YES!!!

8 hours ago, Traveler said:

3. Bigger room.

4. Walking in closet.

6. Bathtub.

So it's depends

4 and 5 not found on Vision jr suite.

15 hours ago, Rackham said:

Besides what's been said, consider how much time will you actually spend in your cabin, and (if traveling with others) could you use the additional space for entertaining and how often would you be hosting in your cabin?

Quickly glancing over your post history, if this is your 3 person, Oasis sailing I'd personally skip the Jr. Suite for an additional $2,400. That amount would pay for a multitude of add-ons which most people would get more enjoyment out of than booking an upgraded cabin. Or for that amount, you might be able to book two cabins instead of one and get more space with two bathrooms.

Thanks for your opinion, $2400 could be spent on specialty dining and better shore excursions, and more. However, the price would be more expensive after booking two cabins because of the double occupancy from one solo cabin, and I'm hesitant to try out the even "lower" category balcony cabins (boardwalk, central park). 

Thanks for all the replies! To add additional information, I am the chill type of person so I would likely spend a lot of time on the balcony and possibly skip some port days (probably less shore excursion $$$); I see the cruise ship as my destination/resort. Calculating just from the double points standpoint, a balcony would cost around $185 for a point while the Junior Suite would cost $150. So from a moving up the ranks perspective, the Junior Suite is worth it. The biggest interests I have for the Junior Suites are definitely the bigger room, bigger shower, and bigger balcony. So my conclusion is that I'll try the Junior Suite first and see if everyone likes it or not. I rarely go on vacation even before COVID anyways so I have the savings to splurge on a cruise. The only fear I have is that I might become addicted to cruising 😃 Thanks again for the replies!

The walking distance and deck location can make your JS fun or an aeorbic workout. For Wonder (actually all our trips on any ship) mid ship, around Deck 8 to Deck10 seems to be a decent location for setting up camp on an Oasis (or Mariner or Jewel) vessel. Minimal noise from public venues, slightly noticeable port to starboard roll on Wonder  while underway, but nothing to make you reach for the distress bag. We were on deck 9 near the aft stairs and elevators. Made it easy to go up/down without relying on the always crowded, never available elevators. Public venue noise was not at all an issue.

Deck 8 on Harmony last month was a great JS location.  Close to Park Cafe for a morning pre breakfast & we had a hump balcony so it was several feet bigger.  Still get twice a day housekeeping service.  I did miss being walked off the ship at disembark.  Of course the previous Harmony cruise was in an Owners Suite so that was an adjustment 😄😄.  If I could ask for anything, maybe a little bigger bathroom.  I mean I didn’t need the bidet but still the JR bathroom was kinda small.

10 hours ago, Dumpling214 said:

For anyone that has stayed in a Junior Suite on Oasis/Quantum class ships, what would you say are the biggest drawbacks/cons? 

I'm probably in the minority but my biggest drawback is the tub on Oasis class.   I prefer a shower.

I've only had the split/separate tub and shower on Odyssey (Quantum clas)...which was amazing!

29 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

I've only had the split/separate tub and shower on Odyssey (Quantum clas)...which was amazing!

i’ve always wanted to experience this but q-class was a one and done for us. i missed central park too much 😂

we vacillate between an ocean view balcony and a JS. JS is always my entry level of choice BUT if it’s the difference between taking a JS cabin OR getting to go on two balcony sailings — especially in the winter — we’re going twice in a balcony 😂

i will say i do find a balcony a bit tight for us as far as storage/packing up goes, but we are pretty neat in our cabin anyway and there are only ever two of us. if i was traveling with three, i’d one hundred percent be doing a JS. 

also i sorely missed the walk in closet on our last sailing on harmony… but i’m also happy we were able to go for $750 pp, so it was my cross to bear 😂

The walk-in closet is a huge draw for those choosing a Junior Suite.

We have also had a Junior suite with a smaller closet and two separate bathrooms.  I missed the huge closet, but my own bathroom was pretty nice too.🥰

To pick one over the other, the walk in closet would be my choice.🖕

8 hours ago, Pooch said:

Deck 8 on Harmony last month was a great JS location.  Close to Park Cafe for a morning pre breakfast & we had a hump balcony so it was several feet bigger.  Still get twice a day housekeeping service.  I did miss being walked off the ship at disembark.  Of course the previous Harmony cruise was in an Owners Suite so that was an adjustment 😄😄.  If I could ask for anything, maybe a little bigger bathroom.  I mean I didn’t need the bidet but still the JR bathroom was kinda small.

This is my preferred location as well! Deck 8 hump cabin because a bigger balcony costs no extra and won't hurt at all!

3 hours ago, Va4fam said:

I'm probably in the minority but my biggest drawback is the tub on Oasis class.   I prefer a shower.

I've heard the tub is uncomfortable as well. I'm around 6 ft and average weight so would I fit in there?

1 hour ago, GaryAA said:

As Pooch said, get a JS on the hump so you have a deeper balcony. The JS comes with 2 lounge chairs so the extra balcony space is a plus. We also like deck 8 with access to Central Park but those cabins book up fast. The biggest con with a JS is you'll want to try other suites eventually 😆

Glad to hear this! 

I definitely think that the balcony rooms are too tight for my travel party, especially with three people (no children) in the room. From the pictures, there is basically no room for someone to walk between the gap of the bed and the wall without side-stepping a bit. In comparison, the Junior Suite is much wider and has so much space in the "living room" that it managed to look bigger and more spread out than the Grand Suites. Additionally, the Grand Suites have balconies that are bigger but not wider than the hump Junior Suites. Since I like wider than longer balconies, I really can't justify paying $400-500 extra pp for a Grand Suite in terms of the perception of space. Of course, these conclusions are made just from looking at online pictures. Eventually, if everything goes well with the Junior Suite, I might move up to try an Owner's Suite. This blog has been so helpful so thank you again to everyone who replied! 😄

1 hour ago, Dumpling214 said:

I definitely think that the balcony rooms are too tight for my travel party, especially with three people (no children) in the room. From the pictures, there is basically no room for someone to walk between the gap of the bed and the wall without side-stepping a bit. In comparison, the Junior Suite is much wider and has so much space in the "living room" that it managed to look bigger and more spread out than the Grand Suites. Additionally, the Grand Suites have balconies that are bigger but not wider than the hump Junior Suites. Since I like wider than longer balconies, I really can't justify paying $400-500 extra pp for a Grand Suite in terms of the perception of space. Of course, these conclusions are made just from looking at online pictures. Eventually, if everything goes well with the Junior Suite, I might move up to try an Owner's Suite. This blog has been so helpful so thank you again to everyone who replied! 😄

They are very nice 

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0868.jpeg

Is there a baseline difference for jr suite vs balcony, pp pn, to help judge whether good/bad deal to go for jr suite instead of balcony?  Is there a common range to keep in mind?  e.g. $100 pp pn = good deal, $1,000 pp pn = bad deal?  Really just about living space. 

On 6/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, Rfk said:

Is there a baseline difference for jr suite vs balcony, pp pn, to help judge whether good/bad deal to go for jr suite instead of balcony?  Is there a common range to keep in mind?  e.g. $100 pp pn = good deal, $1,000 pp pn = bad deal?  Really just about living space. 

I have a spreadsheet I have been pricing cruises in since 2020 and you can see the massive upswing in price per night since then! I used to only book a JS if the ppn (total for 2, not per person) was around $400. Pricing for 2024 and 2025 has been so much higher, every ocean view balcony I have priced has been $340 or more per night and the JS are up around $540 per night for ships as small as Rhapsody. Ovation in Alaska has a JS ppn of $1022! That seems crazy. I’d say a JS in the $500-$600 per night range would be considered a good deal with today’s pricing, especially if you get CK access!

2 hours ago, DDaley said:

I have a spreadsheet I have been pricing cruises in since 2020 and you can see the massive upswing in price per night since then! I used to only book a JS if the ppn (total for 2, not per person) was around $400. Pricing for 2024 and 2025 has been so much higher, every ocean view balcony I have priced has been $340 or more per night and the JS are up around $540 per night for ships as small as Rhapsody. Ovation in Alaska has a JS ppn of $1022! That seems crazy. I’d say a JS in the $500-$600 per night range would be considered a good deal with today’s pricing, especially if you get CK access!

The room I’m interested in is listed as 2188 pp for 7 nights, slightly over your recommended range but still somewhat acceptable