Not something you normally see

Because the entire propeller assembly is missing from the lifeboat, I’m thinking the propeller got snagged on the big, heavy cable (blue arrow) upon decent. Apparently the lifeboat was completely clear of the ship as there is no visible damage to Navigator in any of the photos.

Amazing that none of the crew were incidentally hurt by some splintered fiberglass, a flailing cable, or god knows what else.

9 hours ago, bobroo said:

Because the entire propeller assembly is missing from the lifeboat, I’m thinking the propeller got snagged on the big, heavy cable (blue arrow) upon decent. Apparently the lifeboat was completely clear of the ship as there is no visible damage to Navigator in any of the photos.

Amazing that none of the crew were incidentally hurt by some splintered fiberglass, a flailing cable, or god knows what else.

I think I saw the propellor, but not the shroud/rudder that normally surrounds it.  

image.thumb.jpeg.9979cba15c15e3c716741cef60771412.jpeg

Ya' know @twangster that is just a plain weird photo isn't it? The way the water sits, the hull damage, and the undersized, incorrect color propeller that is missing it's housing. Compared to the other photo, there are so many differences when you zoom in and compare them.

Let's be thankful nobody was hurt and Navigator did not receive so much as a scrape.

Navi will certainly have an additional inflatable lifeboat or two that will enable it to continue sailing. And, submersed watercraft can be made to operate again. But getting this lifeboat seaworthy again is a huge job. The infestation of saltwater in the engine, wiring, and electrical components takes a while to drain and generally replace. It's a big job. 

Maybe an experienced boat owner can chime in.

While In the port of  Mazatlan Mexico. The crew were preforming drills and a lifeboat fell into the sea you can read the letter attached for the details  We left the lifeboat behind and the captain assured everyone that we had plenty left. I didn’t see it happen I was on a excursion but spoke with a guest and would did and they we shook up a bit  Glad no one got hurt IMG_4296.thumb.jpeg.5b26e16a57c997c30ccd9803659ad6ce.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Update on this topic:

I'm on Explorer and they did a similar lifeboat drill. The 2nd officer was watching,  so I asked about the Navigator incident. 

He was familiar with it as the incident and corrective actions were shared with every cruise line worldwide. 

If I understand correctly, the mechanics for the davits on Navigator went behind a "ceiling." I think this would better be described as a decorative panel,  but he called it a ceiling.  This made inspection of that portion of the mechanism impossible to inspect. Over time it corroded and failed catastrophically. 

They have removed the ceilings and now inspect monthly for problems. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh that's what emergency release means...no wonder they said it.didnt need cleaning or paint. Dang it. 

seruosly it will be interesting To see if mechanical or human failure!   Human means more training mechanical could mean lots of retrofitting and maybe cancelations...

34 minutes ago, pat8635 said:

Oh that's what emergency release means...no wonder they said it.didnt need cleaning or paint. Dang it. 

seruosly it will be interesting To see if mechanical or human failure!   Human means more training mechanical could mean lots of retrofitting and maybe cancelations...

According to the 2nd officer, it was mechanical failure due to undiscovered corrosion to the equipment. By removing the cover, or ceiling as he called it, they made it possible to inspect the equipment on a regular basis.  That should solve the issue.  Keep in mind that navigator has been in service for more than 20 years. It took that long for this to become a problem. Monthly inspection should be more than sufficient.