Not something you normally see

I hope this incident does not affect the remainder of the cruise itinerary.  A number of years ago, while sailing on EX out of Bayonne, we sailed through a wicked nor’easter which subsequently damaged 2 lifeboats (not to mention a great deal of damage to the ship, itself). The lifeboats were inop after it was all over.  The Captain announced that, had the ship been at full capacity, we might have turned away at our ports-of-call b/c we would not have been in compliance with SOLAS requirements.  Luckily, we were not at lifeboat capacity so we were fine.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I hope this incident does not affect the remainder of the cruise itinerary.  A number of years ago, while sailing on EX out of Bayonne, we sailed through a wicked nor’easter which subsequently damaged 2 lifeboats (not to mention a great deal of damage to the ship, itself). The lifeboats were inop after it was all over.  The Captain announced that, had the ship been at full capacity, we might have turned away at our ports-of-call b/c we would not have been in compliance with SOLAS requirements.  Luckily, we were not at lifeboat capacity so we were fine.

That was my first thought.

Group cruise in a few weeks, hope they don't have to IDB. 

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Which lifeboat #?  Or which position along the ship (4th from aft on starboard for example).

It will be interesting to see if that muster station is impacted. 

It's on the port side. Fairly far forward.  Access to the lifeboat deck is Shut down. So I don't know the number 

This black rubber piece appears to be part of the bracket that would normally stay attached to the davits that supports the lifeboat when stowed and keeps it from swaying when it is in the stowed position.  It appears to be strapped in place.

If so that suggests it was in, or near the stowed position when it fell.

image.thumb.jpeg.36e44abdc08f4ba120806c3c1c41754b.jpeg

In this photo from another class of ship you can see the piece I am referring to.  Above in the photo you can see the strap that wraps around the lifeboat and this black rubber piece when stowed.  It appears to be still strapped in position holding the black rubber piece against the upside down lifeboat.   If so it failed in the stowed position.  Scary stuff.

image.thumb.jpeg.b32476a6230a1a86758f7b3b34267cc2.jpeg

Since the second photo is a completely different ship with different lifeboats this bracket is different but it appears to be similar in nature and also strapped in position.  

In this picture from Navigator in 2019 you can see the position of the lifeboats when stowed.

1903NV-483.jpg.e02b94f591029fbd1c474ac175834b46.jpg

My concern at this point would be if the lifeboat davit failed with the lifeboat in or near the stowed position the lifeboat may have done some damage to the deck and railing of the promenade deck.  If that is the case it may require some effort to temporarily repair the railing and make the ship pass inspection. 

If the railing has been damaged, absent of safe mustering areas for the port side it's not clear if she can sail to meet her scheduled departure time.

Hope you have your passport if it comes to that.  

From sister ship Adventure this picture better shows the black rubber piece amd strap I was referring to. There is one for each of the boat.

ADsnowbird-333copy.jpg.bdae497fb0781d7d7c1177f598aaa17a.jpg

Depending where the boat was when it fell,  if the forward or aft fell together or if one end went first may have dictated any damage to the ship.  

While the ship is likely perfectly safe in general terms, if they need to block off this area, it couldn't be used to reach the other muster stations on either side which may impact obtaining clearance to sail with guests.  

Going back to @steverk's first photo, there are new clues.

ScreenShot2023-05-22at6_27_28PM.thumb.jpg.d912858e1d57bf63b83d72c63a4e89b7.jpg

The yellow arrows point to what I suspect are pieces of the ships wooden hand railing floating nearby.

The orange arrows show that both the forward and aft storage rubber pads I referenced above were attached to the boat.  The aft one appears bent outward possibly from impact with the ship as it fell and slid overboard.

The red arrow shows extensive damage to the aft of the boat.  This is possibly from impact with the ship deck, railing or side when the lifeboat fell before rolling overboard.  If that is true it suggests the aft broke away first, fell to the deck and starting rolling overboard before the forward davit could no longer handle the entire weight by itself, thereby letting go resulting in the boat dropping to the water taking the promenade deck railing and wooden handrails with it.  

Lastly the blue arrow appears to show a heavy stable cable, the type that do the heavy lifting.  That this cable is separated from the ship and davit assembly suggests it may have snapped.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Going back to @steverk's first photo, there are new clues.

ScreenShot2023-05-22at6_27_28PM.thumb.jpg.32de76efc5e477365a36a1f63bbc14c1.jpg

The yellow arrows point to what I suspect are pieces of the ships wooden hand railing floating nearby

You've got a good eye,  but my camera isn't the greatest. Looking at it in person,  I'm sure those are oars. I didn't know lifeboats still had them, but I am sure that's what you see.

Another possibility is that the crew neglected to remove the straps that hold the rubber pads in place and began to lower the lifeboat.  That may have started a series of event in motion leading to a big splash.  This scenario may have done less damage to the deck and railing which would allow for a less delayed return to service.

That's pretty unlikely though.