Likely the most boring live blog ever! Relaxing on Harmony of the Seas December 31, 2022-January 7, 2023

mom2mybugs

I wasn't planning on trying to live blog this trip, but when you have pretty much not stopped planning for a month, are under 26 days to leave, AND you can't sleep because your plumbing decided it was done working and we have no bathrooms until Monday morning....it was time to blog!  

This cruise was purchased this past summer.  Our last cruise was our amazing 12 days in the Mediterranean on Vision of the Seas in 2019 (on the heels of a Majesty cruise in June for a mom/daughters college graduation where we didn't get to go to Cuba).  We booked a super cheap spring break cruise for March 2020 out of Tampa, but I was feeling like the piggy bank was empty and was ready for a bigger ship, so we cancelled at final payment.  It was fortunate we did, because covid hit 2020 and our sailing would have been cancelled.  We'd have had a great deal if we'd only kept it, but I would never have survived the stress.  So we waited to cruise, put another kid through 2 more years of college, got the 3rd kid through her first year of college (dang kids keep taking my travel money, though I did get to spend 8 days at Disney with said 3rd kid for a covid graduation trip 2021!!!  I could have paid another year of college or started trying suite life for that cost!). 

Anyway..... It had been a very long 3 years and I missed my drink pkgs, the sun deck and... Did I mention the drink pkg and sun deck? (You might be getting a sense of why this will be a very boring blog lol).  So I decided to book, and spent agonizing weeks trying to decide Odyssey vs oasis class, and which oasis class, and if the 19 year old was gracing us with her presence or not.  Finally after the price went up a few hundred more, she decided she would rather hang with her friends, and it turned into an empty nest cruise. 

We chose Harmony of the seas, but it was tough.  Odyssey had a much better southern Caribbean itinerary (Curacao is such a cool port) but we are both teachers and my husband has to be back Monday and that gave us a buffer travel day. In retrospect of various health issues we have dealt with, he has occasionally taken one of his 400 sick days he has accrued (he NEVER takes days off) and has now figured it won't actually kill him.  But too late!  We are booked :). As I implied, the itinerary doesn't wow me except for CocoCay.  I've never been there (our Freedom cruise couldn't tender due to nonstop pouring rain that day) so I'm beyond excited for that.  I loved labadee so I know I will love CocoCay.  We will be doing that port, 2 sea days, Naussau, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  We have done all of the other ports and we will likely not even get off the ship.  Naussau I just don't love, I've done the dolphins at Cozumel and the ruins are just too far away, and we have done the ruins closer to Costa Maya.  We might explore the port areas in Mexico a little, but it's hard to justify drinking in Port with the amount we paid for the drink pkg, and with the amount of stuff we now have from sadly emptying my in-laws house after they passed this past year, I do not need to do any more shopping.  

All of this explains why this might be the most boring blog ever.  We splurged and got an guaranty ocean view balcony, which was confirmed this week to be 11560.  I've never been on that high of a floor (I think the highest was 😎 and I'm excited to wake up and see some amazing views!  I have only had a balcony 2 other times and I think I've spent about an hour a cruise on them since they can be pretty shady.  This trip however I'm planning on starting my days out there since I'm totally flipping how I do things.  Usually we have excursions, and I'm the person on sea days on my chair at 8am because I want to spend ALL day in the sun and you have to go early to avoid the evil nasty chair hogs 😈.  However, if we aren't doing the ports, that means a lot more time on the ship, hopefully when people aren't on them, and so my plan is to sun worship on those days and actually do things on sea days. 

I have been on one Oasis class ship before (Allure) and have never done the zip lines, the water slides, the ultimate abyss.  Never played bingo on the ship, never done a towel folding class, and never set foot in the spa or fitness room.  That's gonna change lol!  I plan on working out and actually USING the fitness clothes I pack every time and never remove from their packing cube!  I want to tour the spa and see about getting a thermal spa pass (although I still haven't actually seen pictures that Harmony does have a thermal spa).  Notice I didn't say I would be trying the flow Rider or the rock climbing wall... I would like to get my 54 year old self back home!  Oh yeah, and I also plan to watch my Michigan wolverines play in a bowl game and hope they look better than their horrible performance last New Years Eve! 

The only excursion we have booked is the Beach Club at CocoCay.  I booked it at $103/person on the black Friday sale and it's $200 now!  I have gone back and forth and back again and finally decided we are going to keep it.  I want to eat that amazing lunch and since it might be the only lobster I get with our other dining, I'm looking forward to it!  And the infinity pool, and the fewer people!  I do want to spend a few minutes at the oasis lagoon pool, so we will do that on our way back to the ship!

We have the DBP and I look forward to my St. Germaine's and Champagne, my kraken lava flows and amazing wines at vintages.  We have 4 specialties booked... Wonderland (so excited!), Izumi hibachi, 150 Central Park and Jamie's Italian for lunch on one of the sea days (again... Something I could never do before and give up my deck chair!). I also have the 3 night dining pkg.  Ok, so I'm an insane planner.  My spread sheets for Disney are epic (and my family did appreciate the shorter wait times, though they still think I'm insane).  I was able to actually pre-book entertainment on this sailing, and it all fits with my dining.  I'm not sure if I will try to run to izumi (we do have an 11am boarding) and try to shift the 3 booked times to the pkg, or if I will just pay more per meal, cancel the 3 night and not stress).  I'd love advice on this on how successful people were on really full ships.  

I've never been on a ship over a holiday and I'm excited to see how Royal does New Year's Eve.  We are usually at home so I'm looking forward to buying the glitziest dress I can find and staying up till at least 1201!  And then sleeping in in Nassau!

Travel is always interesting in winter from Chicago to Florida.  I still have nightmares about how my 2014 flight to the Disney marathon was cancelled due to extreme cold temps and I almost didn't get to the expo to get my pkg.  Because covid has made air travel even more unreliable, we are flying in 2 days early and spending 2 nights at the Hilton Marina.  There is nothing better than waking up and seeing your ship out the window!  We will likely sleep in, lounge by the pool if it's warm and get a water taxi ticket to look at mansions and get dinner somewhere.  Because we did Travelocity for flights, I did something I said I wouldn't do and decided to fly spirit airlines back.  I had a nice 130 flight... That was cancelled.  They graciously without checking put us instead on a 6 am flight.  Yeah, that wouldn't work... still on the boat!  So the only other option? A 915 PM flight.  Ok then... since I wouldn't have my drink pkg at the airport, it was time to rethink the day.  After waiting, thinking, planning, I decided to just give up on budgeting this trip and book the Hilton fort Lauderdale resort for a day.  They had a nice expensive canopy beach bed for $350.  I figured that would give me one more beach and pool day and a "free" pitcher of cocktails, so I would book it.  I forgot it was black Friday and it amazingly dropped $140 in the cart! Yeah me for procrastinating!!!

So that is our trip!  I will attempt to at least explore things as I'm on a reconnaissance mission too.  My oldest daughter is getting married next year and is going to be on the first 7 day on Harmony out of Galveston in November for her honeymoon.  Her trip is $1000 cheaper than ours with the time of year, so I can't wait to retire and cruise hurricane season and early May. Anyway, Morgan and I  have spent hours watching @Matt's videos of the ship and taking about things and I'm supposed to tell her everything about everything when I get back.  So since I have no memory, I can have her read this blog!  

And now...I will figure out how to put a countdown clock on my phone!!!   Jane

31 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I don't know why you think this is going to be a boring blog, Jane !!  This sounds incredible to me and I can't wait to read every word !  Holiday cruises are the best.  Good luck with the weather, which is always the biggest risk item that time of year.

I know... I've gone to Florida and it's freezing one year and crazy warm the next.  Anything will be better than Midwest weather!!!  I'm so excited for the new years night!  Hoping the weather cooperates for the aqua show... Booked early in the week just in case!  Jane

@mom2mybugs I felt the same way with my first blog, thinking who would want to come along I'm not that interesting! Well I'm following and looking forward to your adventures. It's funny how in this huge world we are simply a smaller cruise family sharing our sailing experiences for all to enjoy. I was engaged in your story right away. I totally understand the kiddos and travel dollars scenario. This will be super fun, I love the pictures that really put me on the ship right there with you. I remember I was really apprehensive the first time I was invited to participate in her blog ( @Lovetocruise2002 ) & then (oh no 😲) to a meet up arranged by @Lovetocruise2002 I stopped by and waved hello.....and fled. Almost immediately realizing Holy Hannah what a friendly bunch, they will accept me with all my quirks! It's the craziest thing and we had the best time. 

Can not wait to share your journey 🤜🤛

P.S. I call my daughter bug as well, oh boy she hates it! But I can't help it, I love you bug just rolls off my tongue. 

Jane, sounds like it's going to be a great trip! But now all your talk about the weather is making me nervous lol. We are sailing the SY the same day you are sailing HM (on the 31st) and Hubby and my daughter's schedule does not allow us to leave until the day before on the 30th....fingers crossed for smooth travels for both of us!

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Jane, sounds like it's going to be a great trip! But now all your talk about the weather is making me nervous lol. We are sailing the SY the same day you are sailing HM (on the 31st) and Hubby and my daughter's schedule does not allow us to leave until the day before on the 30th....fingers crossed for smooth travels for both of us!

Are you out of Miami?  You have a longer flight and I'm sure it will be fine!  We had the time since we are both off for winter breakand I'm a stressor (I'm the one who insists we are at the airport 2 hours before we leave at least!).  I actually almost did the symphony cruise and now I'm bummed we didn't so we could meet!  In the end, I liked Harmonys order of ports better.  I think I will definitely not like Harmony's solarium as much as symphony's and I still haven't done playmakers yet!  Alas... There will be other cruises.  Safe travels!!!!!   Jane

8 hours ago, Neesa said:

@mom2mybugs I felt the same way with my first blog, thinking who would want to come along I'm not that interesting! Well I'm following and looking forward to your adventures. It's funny how in this huge world we are simply a smaller cruise family sharing our sailing experiences for all to enjoy. I was engaged in your story right away. I totally understand the kiddos and travel dollars scenario. This will be super fun, I love the pictures that really put me on the ship right there with you. I remember I was really apprehensive the first time I was invited to participate in her blog ( @Lovetocruise2002 ) & then (oh no 😲) to a meet up arranged by @Lovetocruise2002 I stopped by and waved hello.....and fled. Almost immediately realizing Holy Hannah what a friendly bunch, they will accept me with all my quirks! It's the craziest thing and we had the best time. 

Can not wait to share your journey 🤜🤛

P.S. I call my daughter bug as well, oh boy she hates it! But I can't help it, I love you bug just rolls off my tongue. 

My original email was mom2abug and then when kid 2 came it changed.  I used to call them little love bugs 😍

This will be my second blog...I blogged our trip from Barcelona... But that one seemed to just have so much more going!  I promise to take lots of pics, but whether I'm able to post them...hmmm that might be trouble.  My phone never quite crops things right to upload!!!   Jane

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Are you out of Miami?  You have a longer flight and I'm sure it will be fine!  We had the time since we are both off for winter breakand I'm a stressor (I'm the one who insists we are at the airport 2 hours before we leave at least!).  I actually almost did the symphony cruise and now I'm bummed we didn't so we could meet!  In the end, I liked Harmonys order of ports better.  I think I will definitely not like Harmony's solarium as much as symphony's and I still haven't done playmakers yet!  Alas... There will be other cruises.  Safe travels!!!!!   Jane

I actually wanted HM but picked SY because we are already booked for HM 3/11/2023. That March sailing, we were booked for SY but Royal moved us to HM because SY was going into dry dock early. So that's how we ended up picking SY for 12/31/2022. 

And yes, out of Miami.

23 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I know... I've gone to Florida and it's freezing one year and crazy warm the next.  Anything will be better than Midwest weather!!!  I'm so excited for the new years night!  Hoping the weather cooperates for the aqua show... Booked early in the week just in case!  Jane

You will have a blast! Last year on Oasis they brought in a rock band (Phoenix) and played some great music outside at the Aquatheatre and then another set NYE in the Music Hall. Holiday sailings are really a spectacular time to cruise. Enjoy! If you need help with anything while in Fort Lauderdale just PM me and I will help you with recommendations for dinner exc. 

So I have decided that continuing to check the cruise planner is a bad thing for our budget.  While exploring I found the wine and cheese board for embarkation day.  It's a total waste of money because we have the drink pkg and don't really need more food, but it sounds fun so click.  

Then i have to get off Amazon.  I'm now considering matching new years Eve cruise t-shirts and Even door magnets!!!!  

I have got to get on the plane to Fort Lauderdale before I have no money in my account lol

On 12/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Uh... There is very very very bad news!  University of Michigan (my alma mater) is playing TCU at 4 Eastern Time!  Do I watch the game or sail away? And how do I do early dinner!!!!  Yikes!!!!!!!   😳😢🏈💙💛 Jane

This is a hard choice!  Husband is UofM grad and we are Dawg fans now.  We have ATT uverse and can record the game, so I would record the game and maybe play it later on the phone or ipad.

On 12/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Sending good vibes for you and your luggage🤣

@mom2mybugs your trip sounds fantastic. One of these years I would love a simple, do nothing trip. We sorta have that planned, but we will see how it goes. I love to say that I would like to relax and plop my rear in a chair for a whole day.....but who am I kidding, I'm the adventure type and will probably end up finding something extra to do.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:21 PM, GregD said:

@mom2mybugs your trip sounds fantastic. One of these years I would love a simple, do nothing trip. We sorta have that planned, but we will see how it goes. I love to say that I would like to relax and plop my rear in a chair for a whole day.....but who am I kidding, I'm the adventure type and will probably end up finding something extra to do.

We usually find a middle ground cruising (not at Disney where we are sunrise to sunset gazillion of miles walked).  We have never NOT gotten off the boat for some reason! It seems very strange to me but I'm petrified this is going to be the most crowded cruise ever and if I can get some down times on those port days I'm gonna be all in lol!  I will say though that Allure didn't feel crowded on spring break.  I've just never done a new years cruise and I'm worried!  Jane

We just recently got off an 8 night southern cruise on Harmony to Aruba and Curacao.  It was packed or so I thought, around 5800 on our cruise but were told 6200 the week before during Thanksgiving.  I like the ship, my 3rd Oasis class ship, been doing them in order, so 2 to go.  I would never do Wonderland again, my wife liked it, but I have to many dietary restrictions for the limited menu.  I say add Sabor to your list for lunch on a sea day, it is my favorite place for lunch, we also went for dinner one night.  We had the UDP but couldn't get into Izumi when we wanted they were all booked, and that was with us going there right when we got onto the ship at 11:30.  I think our favorites were 150 and Jamie's.  We had a waiter at Jaime's named Jessie, he was fantastic, I suggest asking for him, he should be there as he came on the ship when we did for his 6 month contract.  Towards the end of the cruise I told my wife that I was going to come home with Covid. To my surprise it wasn't me but her that go it, and this without us getting it after nearly three years, not sure how I missed out.  The first day of cruising everything was fine, but with a few days to go there were more and more people coughing and more and more people wearing masks.  When the last day came I truthfully couldn't wait to get off the ship.   You will be at that higher end of capacity for a NYE cruise, good luck on the cruise the flights and have fun on a festive NYE cruise.  We did a NYE cruise with our 2 boys back in 2014 and now I can't remember anything about what it was like NYE.  

It’s fun to read cruise blogs while waiting for your turn, so thank you!  My turn is coming the end of February, and it’s just gonna be my “slightly boring hubby” and an “old white woman” on the cruise, so you are going to have some serious competition for most boring blog!  

45 minutes ago, Yesiamthere6 said:

It’s fun to read cruise blogs while waiting for your turn, so thank you!  My turn is coming the end of February, and it’s just gonna be my “slightly boring hubby” and an “old white woman” on the cruise, so you are going to have some serious competition for most boring blog!  

I don't know why but "old white woman" really cracked me up. 

13 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't know why but "old white woman" really cracked me up. 

Years ago, I started referring to myself as the Old White Woman. I thought it would give the reader an idea about what I looked like. Several years ago, someone said to me…..”but you are not old”. She was right.   I was more upper middle age, but I picked a name that I knew I could grow into, and,  just like that, the name truly describes me!  

32 minutes ago, Yesiamthere6 said:

Years ago, I started referring to myself as the Old White Woman. I thought it would give the reader an idea about what I looked like. Several years ago, someone said to me…..”but you are not old”. She was right.   I was more upper middle age, but I picked a name that I knew I could grow into, and,  just like that, the name truly describes me!  

That's brilliant! Love it!

On 12/5/2022 at 8:28 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

You will have a blast! Last year on Oasis they brought in a rock band (Phoenix) and played some great music outside at the Aquatheatre and then another set NYE in the Music Hall. Holiday sailings are really a spectacular time to cruise. Enjoy! If you need help with anything while in Fort Lauderdale just PM me and I will help you with recommendations for dinner exc. 

I'm already hitting you up on the other thread!  You have been a great source whenever I have fort Lauderdale questions!!!!!   Thank you! 

I'm so excited for NYE on a ship!!!! We don't live super crowds, so I'm excited to hear other places besides the promenade will be happening! Jane

On 12/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, Greg R said:

We just recently got off an 8 night southern cruise on Harmony to Aruba and Curacao.  It was packed or so I thought, around 5800 on our cruise but were told 6200 the week before during Thanksgiving.  I like the ship, my 3rd Oasis class ship, been doing them in order, so 2 to go.  I would never do Wonderland again, my wife liked it, but I have to many dietary restrictions for the limited menu.  I say add Sabor to your list for lunch on a sea day, it is my favorite place for lunch, we also went for dinner one night.  We had the UDP but couldn't get into Izumi when we wanted they were all booked, and that was with us going there right when we got onto the ship at 11:30.  I think our favorites were 150 and Jamie's.  We had a waiter at Jaime's named Jessie, he was fantastic, I suggest asking for him, he should be there as he came on the ship when we did for his 6 month contract.  Towards the end of the cruise I told my wife that I was going to come home with Covid. To my surprise it wasn't me but her that go it, and this without us getting it after nearly three years, not sure how I missed out.  The first day of cruising everything was fine, but with a few days to go there were more and more people coughing and more and more people wearing masks.  When the last day came I truthfully couldn't wait to get off the ship.   You will be at that higher end of capacity for a NYE cruise, good luck on the cruise the flights and have fun on a festive NYE cruise.  We did a NYE cruise with our 2 boys back in 2014 and now I can't remember anything about what it was like NYE.  

We have some sabor 3 or 4 times. Loved it on freedom, but it wasn't good on allure for us so I think we will just do drinks.  Jamies for sea day is gonna be great I think!  Excited to try it since we've only done Giovanni's.  We avoided covid for 2 years until this October, when we both went down.  We will both be boosted so I think we will be ok if we can avoid colds lol (both teachers lol).  Jane

On 12/12/2022 at 8:29 PM, Yesiamthere6 said:

This cracks me up.  Challenge accepted lol!  Let me know if you need reports on anything while I'm on the ship!  Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1 week before flight:

Winter sucks!  I hate winter and since it will be -30 wind chill tomorrow night, I hate it even more!  I keep checking the weather report for naussau and Cozumel.  It looks like fort Lauderdale might be rainy, but at least warm thank goodness.  I can sit under an umbrella in the rain if it's warm! Jane

On 12/22/2022 at 1:21 AM, mom2mybugs said:

Update 1 week before flight:

Winter sucks!  I hate winter and since it will be -30 wind chill tomorrow night, I hate it even more! 

It's -22 here (that's in Fahrenheit) with 50mph winds. Schools closed today and I am so ready to get out of here too!

Although I still haven't packed yet, my daughter helped me try on a ton of dresses and I am sorta prepared with what I think I'm packing!  Today I'm doing nails, going to the used bookstore and maybe digging out my suitcase!  

Won't be needing the warm Christmas jammies in a few days!!!! Jane20221226_121848.thumb.jpg.668ff087233c0c7f7299ee7978026b1e.jpg20221225_100640.thumb.jpg.faa3177680d09c7f57555cb6ad2b0121.jpg

Packing did not go well lol.... Everything didn't fit and I finally decided that I didn't care and I'm bringing a second suitcase.  I didn't upgrade our Hilton Marina room so there ya go! Money left for bloodsucking spirit air baggage lol I'm still thanking every star above that I didn't fly Southwest as we would have had to rent a car and drive down.  My ❤️ goes out for all those travelers having to scramble.

The app finally has the dinner dress posted.  It was not what I had expected.  I just had assumed they would keep nights 2 and 6 formal, and just add the first night of New Years Eve to dress up too.  Instead it looks like this:

Day 1: Dress to impress
Day 2: Formal night
Day 3: White night
Day 4: nothing listed so not sure
Day 5: Caribbean
Day 6: Smart Casual (this is lobster night)
Day 7: Casual

So I went bananas with the blingy clothes for NYE, so I may dress up every night for dinner anyway lol! 

They finally put a ton of things on the app's daily planner, so now I'm going up try and check some times.  We are still trying to decide whether to just cancel the 3 night dining pkg and keep the individual times we already have, try to change what we have into the dining pkg times and then cancel the individual reservations, or throw all caution to the wind and book 3 different dinners on the 3 night pkg and keep everything.  That seems too much though when you add in that everything is $50 more upcharge for Nye (day 1) and day 3 we are having a big lunch at CocoCay beach club.  Just can't make up my mind.  Now I wish I'd just pulled the trigger and done the ultimate dining, but with the totally crowded ship, I just was worried about getting in.  And I think it's really too many nights for us.  Though like Matt has said before, the UDP is such a good deal, you don't have to use it every night.  

Off to look at what overlaps with what!!!!   Jane

Jane, I was very concerned about dining time availability on our current cruise (12-22 OA) b/c the dining package had been sold out for weeks.  As it turns out, I never had a single problem getting any dining reservation - even when I changed it, last minute.  TBH, I was completely shocked.  Go with your gut (bad cliche, I guess) and I think you will be fine.  Happy New Year !

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Jane, I was very concerned about dining time availability on our current cruise (12-22 OA) b/c the dining package had been sold out for weeks.  As it turns out, I never had a single problem getting any dining reservation - even when I changed it, last minute.  TBH, I was completely shocked.  Go with your gut (bad cliche, I guess) and I think you will be fine.  Happy New Year !

This is so good to hear!  I think I'm stressed because I've never done any dining pkgs before and I've never cruised at this insanely busy time of year.  You've calmed me down a bit.  Now I'm thinking we might keep the izumi, and try and switch the other 2 night and Jamie's lunch into a dinner.  So many amazing choices!   Thanks so much!! Enjoy the rest of your cruise! Jane

We are in fort Lauderdale!!!!   Yeah!  It's chilly for me (75) but way better than Chicago!  We were through security in an 30 mins and took our check-in pics while eating breakfast at Chili's.  Flight was packed but on time and everything ran smoothly.  We are now ensconced by the pool with drinks and a book!  

20221229_092949.thumb.jpg.3cae9ca0773409d671c710e0cfb2792a.jpg20221229_154919.thumb.jpg.49586984cdae11e8da2050df6c897d48.jpg20221229_155043.thumb.jpg.cd3198c6c406a09c8bb4b94b96b8f674.jpg