The Mason Jar Menu

CGTLH

I love Southern food I may have been born and raised in Chicago but both of my parents are from the south and we still have family in the South.  If Royal is going to do Jonny cakes, gumbo, chicken pot pies, fried chicken and collard greens (just to name a few) they better knock it out of the park.

Now that I'm 42 I can't eat this type of food every day because it is heavy and a bit unhealthy but heavy unhealthy food is a part of cruising 😁, but do not try to reinvent the wheel, and try and serve some healthy spruced up Northern version of Southern cuisine many have tried in Chicago all have failed. The Southern restaurants that have succeeded in Chicago are those that have remained true to their Southern roots.  If Royal is going to go down this road with The Mason Jar hope they commit to preparing and cooking the food they same way Southerns do it in my opinion it is the only way the restaurant will be a success. 

On 2/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, CGTLH said:

Screenshot_20220209-090605_Royal.thumb.jpg.efcda523cd8eff2e417a58482d9b980f.jpg

As a child of the South who's ancestry is Cajun, the only thing on the menu that makes me say "what tha??" is lobster in Gumbo. Who tha heck puts lobster in Gumbo? Gumbo literally comes from people having to cook what they could get their hands on in a soup to make it palatable. As my people would say... There ain't no lobster in da swamp, sha. 😂

5 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

As a child of the South who's ancestry is Cajun, the only thing on the menu that makes me say "what tha??" is lobster in Gumbo. Who tha heck puts lobster in Gumbo? Gumbo literally comes from people having to cook what they could get their hands on in a soup to make it palatable. As my people would say... There ain't no lobster in da swamp, sha. 😂

You're not the only one that has been questioning lobster in gumbo. I've been pondering if some chef creating the menu was thinking that lobsters were nothing but oversized shrimp.

5 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

You're not the only one that has been questioning lobster in gumbo. I've been pondering if some chef creating the menu was thinking that lobsters were nothing but oversized shrimp.

Depending on how they cook it, that lobster is going to be wrecked by the time it is served. When I make seafood gumbo, I cook my shrimp or crab separately and add it in per serving because it turns to mush if it sits in the gumbo for too long. Chicken and sausage hold up just fine, but not seafood. 

59 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Those warm water tails they serve on lobster night ARE just big shrimp !  Lol

Warning... unpopular opinion coming... I like lobster, but I don't like them onboard. They are tough and not great flavor. I would take the Shrimp and Grits dish on this menu all day over the lobster night lobster. 😁

Whenever I think of Southern or BBQ in/on/around places they wouldn't be expected, I know it is going to be a fail. My grandmother is from Mississippi......I know true Southern/Soul food. Don't get me wrong when I sail Wonder in 23' I will try the Mason Jar, but I expect to be disappointed. 

I also agree that most Southern food is too rich and heavy. I only eat my grandmother's cooking for Thanksgiving. When I make any of it myself, I do tend to go a bit lighter by substituting smoked turkey for the pork in things like greens and beans. 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ampurp85 said:  Whenever I think of Southern or BBQ in/on/around places they wouldn't be expected, I know it is going to be a fail. My grandmother is from Mississippi......I know true Southern/Soul food. Don't get me wrong when I sail Wonder in 23' I will try the Mason Jar, but I expect to be disappointed.  I also agree that most Southern food is too rich and heavy. I only eat my grandmother's cooking for Thanksgiving. When I make any of it myself, I do tend to go a bit lighter by substituting smoked turkey for the pork in things like greens and beans.   On 2/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ampurp85 said:  Whenever I think of Southern or BBQ in/on/around places they wouldn't be expected, I know it is going to be a fail. My grandmother is from Mississippi......I know true Southern/Soul food. Don't get me wrong when I sail Wonder in 23' I will try the Mason Jar, but I expect to be disappointed.  I also agree that most Southern food is too rich and heavy. I only eat my grandmother's cooking for Thanksgiving. When I make any of it myself, I do tend to go a bit lighter by substituting smoked turkey for the pork in things like greens and beans.        

With all do respect, it sounds as if you are narrowminded when it comes to that cuisine. Go in with an open mind, and you may be pleasantly surprised    

7 hours ago, Army_Vet_Cruiser said:

On 2/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ampurp85 said:  Whenever I think of Southern or BBQ in/on/around places they wouldn't be expected, I know it is going to be a fail. My grandmother is from Mississippi......I know true Southern/Soul food. Don't get me wrong when I sail Wonder in 23' I will try the Mason Jar, but I expect to be disappointed.  I also agree that most Southern food is too rich and heavy. I only eat my grandmother's cooking for Thanksgiving. When I make any of it myself, I do tend to go a bit lighter by substituting smoked turkey for the pork in things like greens and beans.   On 2/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ampurp85 said:  Whenever I think of Southern or BBQ in/on/around places they wouldn't be expected, I know it is going to be a fail. My grandmother is from Mississippi......I know true Southern/Soul food. Don't get me wrong when I sail Wonder in 23' I will try the Mason Jar, but I expect to be disappointed.  I also agree that most Southern food is too rich and heavy. I only eat my grandmother's cooking for Thanksgiving. When I make any of it myself, I do tend to go a bit lighter by substituting smoked turkey for the pork in things like greens and beans.        

With all do respect, it sounds as if you are narrowminded when it comes to that cuisine. Go in with an open mind, and you may be pleasantly surprised    

Not narrowminded, honest.

As I stated places that wouldn't be expected mainly because they don't/might not have access to the right ingredients or people to execute it properly.

IMHO other than Indian food, none of the specialized food on cruises come close in taste or authenticity. They often have to scale down to appeal to a blank, overarching palette. 

Somebody OTHER than a southerner created the monstrosity described as “Peanut Buttery Banana Overnight Oats”.  Sorry, but some yankee foo-foo chef thought that one up and snuck it in there !  Lol. Maybe they thought no one would notice…uhh…no.

Most of the rest of that brunch menu sounds pretty good though !

On 2/20/2022 at 8:21 PM, CGTLH said:

Brunch menu has made an appearance

Screenshot_20220220-211935_Royal.thumb.jpg.a5c4371c3f468d2842a9a0d389557f38.jpg

Screenshot_20220220-211951_Royal.thumb.jpg.6b247806fe9f4a59a8f2e9a319a63c86.jpg

Finally! menus!  I was just going by the artist rendering pictures and, like other posters, was wondering if this was going to be real southern or a northern interpretation. So thanks for sharing. It sounds a bit like a mix of the two and if I ever get lucky enough to get on Wonder, I think I might give it a try....though that price is a lot.

Also...can someone explain to me why the Blueberry Johnny cakes don't mention blueberries anywhere in the description? Lol

32 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Toss in a video look around of The Mason Jar.

Was also just pointed out to me the app now lists "Late Night" for a third set of hours. No idea if this includes any food options or bar service only to lounge and listen to music.

Thanks for posting the video nd the menu’s.  Will definitely be making a couple stops there when on the Wonder.