I'll never stay in a ________________ cabin again!

FManke

Really no inside cabins??  Ok back in 1978 we had an outside porthole view and it was tiny compared to our inside cabin on our 2019 Allure cruise.

We had a promenade view on Indy and that was ok but a very noisy at night with all the partying going on.

We have a GTTY for Symphony coming up, then Jr. suite, then a balcony, so we are testing the rooms to see what we like best.

However, we had no problems with the value of an inside cabin that we could select on an Oasis class ship.

We are very light sleepers and my wife sleeps with an eye mask and ear plugs, so a cave is perfect for sleeping.

12 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

OH MY! July 25, 2019, roughest seas for whatever reason. The Captain came over the PA and apologized. Sick sacks were everywhere, and the crew offered meclizine like candy. (Side note: remember when the sick sacks on airlines also doubled as film developing envelopes? That always made me laugh. We mainly flew TWA and Eastern Airlines when I was a child.) We were in the sushi making class at Izumi. Everyone was green. Half the class had to leave. I had taken some meclizine prior, so I was wiped out but enjoying my sushi nonetheless. It was not a good day sailing the inside passage. ?

I've sailed the Inside Passage of Alaska three times now - we always have one night that's questionable (where sea sick bags get pulled out) and it's always between Vancouver Island and the actual passage - where the ship is more out in open sea.  I've always experienced very calm waters when actually in the protection of the passage.  (and to keep with the theme of the thread - Inside Rooms make me sleep too much of Alaska away, and I can't watch seals on ice floes whenever I want from an inside room.

I'll echo connecting cabins.

Unless I'm traveling with someone or planning on working for a few days, a balcony is wasted on me and I sleep better in an interior and like the excuse to spend as little time there as possible.  Just don't make me hear my neighbors. I'd rather be next to and across from crew areas than that.

That might change once I venture out of the Caribbean for some of my upcoming ones in Alaska/Australia/New Zealand (assuming they go), but we'll see.

I will also never book another full suite on a Vision class ship that is all the way forward.  We spent 2 weeks on Grandeur a few years ago right underneath the WJ. Almost all of the full suites on V Class ships are jammed up from under the jammer.  It was loud at all hours.

We are booked on Vision out of PR in late October but we are in one of the 2 BR GS near the rear elevators.  Hopefully that will be a different experience.

Cabin all the way forward or aft on lowest decks. (Or any deck for the walking distance.)

Anchor noise, docking noise, and stabilizer noise.

Fairly sure a stabilizer was broken on one cruise, middle of the night you'd hear a loud SLAM like something metal smashing into the side of the ship. It would wake you up and you'd have to deal with trying to sleep over the sound of it doing this slamming noise randomly all night long. ?

Or a cabin below the pool deck/buffet restaurant. Deck chair noise at all hours of the night while crew stacks/unstacks them or drag them across the deck.

21 hours ago, 0_0 said:

Cabin all the way forward or aft on lowest decks. (Or any deck for the walking distance.)

Anchor noise, docking noise, and stabilizer noise.

Fairly sure a stabilizer was broken on one cruise, middle of the night you'd hear a loud SLAM like something metal smashing into the side of the ship. It would wake you up and you'd have to deal with trying to sleep over the sound of it doing this slamming noise randomly all night long. ?

Or a cabin below the pool deck/buffet restaurant. Deck chair noise at all hours of the night while crew stacks/unstacks them or drag them across the deck.

The chair noise made us book suites on any deck but the one immediately below the pool/windjammer deck forevermore. Moving chairs over nonslip surfaces is noisy in a way that transmits well through a steel overhead. 

I’d never pick an inside cabin, reminds me of my Navy days on an aircraft carrier. We always get a junior suite or above near the rear elevator. Back when we cruised on Carnival, we were ok with cabins with just a porthole. Once we sailed on the Mariner in a junior suite on our first Royal cruise, that spoiled us.