Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Canada-U.S. border closure extended again amid tension over restrictions ...


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HUGE NEWS FOR CANADIANS!!!!   Just announced they are looking at starting rapid testing at airports in Canada that would result in only a 48 hr quarantine if you test negative with a rapid t

Don't  worry..shes a nurse and I am a insurance agent....we are well aware of whats out there for medical and insurance wise 😐....this is very common in NB..we have contacted our MLA as well as the Mi

If you fly to Toronto...after landing...the PA announcement: "Welcome to Toronto everyone! Proud home of the 1967 Stanley Cup Champions.".

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

I feel like I heard $150 on the news today.    Healthcare probably won’t cover it.  

The $150 mentioned is not associated with this pilot.  This is a new option where travellers can privately pay for rapid testing needed for travel through a private company.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, KWong said:

I'm assuming that our UHC would cover it.

I wouldn't assume that ever....we can't even get a family doctor with UHC...so not sure they are going to cover the cost of a test cause I want to go south. I love how people think we have free and great healthcare....free is only good if you can actually get it...🙄  One of my favorite topics when cruising to discuss with my American friends...

 

No mention of cost though....but until the "Atlantic" Bubble bursts, i cant go anywhere..even in Canada without the 14 day quarantine so its a small step in the right direction but still months away I feel from any type of potential impact on a great scale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I wouldn't assume that ever....we can't even get a family doctor with UHC...so not sure they are going to cover the cost of a test cause I want to go south. I love how people think we have free and great healthcare....free is only good if you can actually get it...🙄  One of my favorite topics when cruising to discuss with my American friends...

 

No mention of cost though....but until the "Atlantic" Bubble bursts, i cant go anywhere..even in Canada without the 14 day quarantine so its a small step in the right direction but still months away I feel from any type of potential impact on a great scale.

It's strange that you can't get a family doctor. But then again I can only speak for my experience in Ontario, where it hasn't been that difficult to find them. 
 

Ive read that the OHIP reimbursement for COVID tests is between $40-50 so if it's covered I'd guess it would be similar. If it's not then that $150 figure floated earlier doesn't sound too far-fetched. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KWong said:

It's strange that you can't get a family doctor. But then again I can only speak for my experience in Ontario, where it hasn't been that difficult to find them. 

My family in Southern Ontario are thinking about moving.  They are restricting their search to somewhere so they can keep their doctor otherwise they don't know how long they'll be without a doctor.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, KWong said:

It's strange that you can't get a family doctor. But then again I can only speak for my experience in Ontario, where it hasn't been that difficult to find them. 
 

 

That's norm here...5 year wait or longer in some cases...my boss this morning just told me his dad needs dialysis...its a 2 yr wait in some places in NS...so he's has been told his dad will die before he ever gets a treatment.....nice eh?

Gotta love "free" healthcare that you have paid hugely for through crazy high tax rates in Canada...and now when you need it, you will die before you get it.....quite common in Canada...sad

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, monctonguy said:

One of my favorite topics when cruising to discuss with my American friends...

I have the same discussions on the topic.  It's fascinating when they argue back with them having never experienced it.  SMH.

Private healthcare in the U.S. has it own issues.  So many claims are denied hoping you'll just go away and pay it yourself including routine annual items.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, twangster said:

Private healthcare in the U.S. has it own issues.  So many claims are denied hoping you'll just go away and pay it yourself including routine annual items.

Current high-deductible with health-spending account plans make that part even easier for them. 😞 My insurance that I have through my company, under one of the largest carriers, slams me with a $4,400 in-network / $8,800 out of network family deductible (for this year -- that's almost double what it was when this became the only option offered to us about 5 years ago). Insurance pays bupkis until you've crossed that threshold, with the sole exception of annual checkups with our primary doctor / pediatrician (which are 100% covered).

So if you're a healthy family, you'll never cross that threshold unless something catastrophic happens. But you still have to buy in and pay the premiums because you don't want to be without coverage if that Really Bad Thing does happen.

And if you're a family like mine, where we all have various chronic conditions that require various doctor visits and prescriptions all year long, we've had multiple years that we burned through the deductible in January, and even hit the high out of pocket maximum before the year was over.

And people wonder why medical debt has become such a huge problem for so many families. 😡

 

Sorry, hijack is done now. 🍕

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

That's norm here...5 year wait or longer in some cases...my boss this morning just told me his dad needs dialysis...its a 2 yr wait in some places in NS...so he's has been told his dad will die before he ever gets a treatment.....nice eh?

Brain drain has been a huge problem for Atlantic/Western provinces and remote areas in respect to healthcare.  Even with incentives, it is very hard to retain MDs to stay in those areas.  Many leave due to burn out or find it more lucrative to practice in the US.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Current high-deductible with health-spending account plans make that part even easier for them. 😞 My insurance that I have through my company, under one of the largest carriers, slams me with a $4,400 in-network / $8,800 out of network family deductible (for this year -- that's almost double what it was when this became the only option offered to us about 5 years ago). Insurance pays bupkis until you've crossed that threshold, with the sole exception of annual checkups with our primary doctor / pediatrician (which are 100% covered).

So if you're a healthy family, you'll never cross that threshold unless something catastrophic happens. But you still have to buy in and pay the premiums because you don't want to be without coverage if that Really Bad Thing does happen.

And if you're a family like mine, where we all have various chronic conditions that require various doctor visits and prescriptions all year long, we've had multiple years that we burned through the deductible in January, and even hit the high out of pocket maximum before the year was over.

And people wonder why medical debt has become such a huge problem for so many families. 😡

 

Sorry, hijack is done now. 🍕

At least you have an option if you have the money....we have no options in cases but to die for free. I have known family and co-workers in this situation. We still pay monthly fees and co-pays and crazy high taxes(maybe not compared to NJ or NY..ha) and still not covered.

 

One of my fav topics to discuss when cruising....no model of healthcare is perfect it seems, but ours leaves alot to be desired when facts and examples are known.

 

Now hurry up and open our borders so I cam enjoy more of these discussions during cruises!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

That's norm here...5 year wait or longer in some cases...my boss this morning just told me his dad needs dialysis...its a 2 yr wait in some places in NS...so he's has been told his dad will die before he ever gets a treatment.....nice eh?

Gotta love "free" healthcare that you have paid hugely for through crazy high tax rates in Canada...and now when you need it, you will die before you get it.....quite common in Canada...sad

Can you not schedule his treatment in Toronto or Ottawa?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No..healthcare is provincial....so no options for that. 

 

At least he has a family doctor to be able to tell him that bad news...my partner cant get a family doctor and she is a RN....so imagine, walk in clinics wont see ppl due to Covid and Emergency is closed at the hospitals (and even if you can get in its a 12 hr wait to see a doctor and they wont do much as they are not "family doctors")so no options when something happens for any medical help..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

No..healthcare is provincial....so no options for that. 

 

At least he has a family doctor to be able to tell him that bad news...my partner cant get a family doctor and she is a RN....so imagine, walk in clinics wont see ppl due to Covid and Emergency is closed at the hospitals (and even if you can get in its a 12 hr wait to see a doctor and they wont do much as they are not "family doctors")so no options when something happens for any medical help..

 

 

Look into the health benefits from her employer.  Many extended healthcare plans have access to telemedicine.  It does not replace a family physician but it is a replacement to the traditional walk-in clinic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't  worry..shes a nurse and I am a insurance agent....we are well aware of whats out there for medical and insurance wise 😐....this is very common in NB..we have contacted our MLA as well as the Minster of Health for the province....still nothing to show.

 

Don't want to hijack this thread so lets get back to cruising.....

 

On some positive news...my cruise booked for next Nov just dropped $99 with some flash sale....doesnt sound like much but its about a 10% so i'll gladly take it!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruisellama said:

10/23

US Representative for Alaska, Don Young, proposes rule changes that would permit cruises to Alaska in 2021, even if Canada’s ports remained closed to cruise traffic. Under the 100-year old maritime law, foreign-flag ships must stop at a foreign port to legally call in Alaska.

Any chance you can share your source for this news? I like to think it is true, but I'd also like to read the source material.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I heard the same reported on the daily Cruise Radio News brief this AM. More info here.

It's always dubious when a source of cruise reporting cites the Jones Act instead of the PVSA.  The concept of a PVSA waiver also doesn't address the immigration issues related to crew work visas.  CBP has determined that a ship going to sea and returning to US waters without stopping in another country violates crew C-1/D visas.   A PVSA waiver is a long shot.  Immigration reform coupled with a PVSA waiver?  I seriously hope he has close friends in all the right places.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's always dubious when a source of cruise reporting cites the Jones Act instead of the PVSA.  The concept of a PVSA waiver also doesn't address the immigration issues related to crew work visas.  CBP has determined that a ship going to sea and returning to US waters without stopping in another country violates crew C-1/D visas.   A PVSA waiver is a long shot.  Immigration reform coupled with a PVSA waiver?  I seriously hope he has close friends in all the right places.

Guess the congressman and staff will need to figure out the right one to modify.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...