Jump to content
stallings06

When should we fly in??

Recommended Posts

Hey guys! We are getting ready to hit BOOK on our first Royal Caribbean cruise. We are flying in from Virginia to Fort Lauderdale and the ship is leaving from Miami. Airfare is half as much to land in Ft Lauderdale and Uber to the Miami port (45 mins). Our flight lands in Ft Lauderdale at 0951, so assuming all runs on time and we grab the Uber without issue and no traffic, we should be to Miami around 11am. Is this okay? Are we leaving too much to chance?

THANKS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

Hello.. and welcome.. 1st of all what time of year are you planning this cruise.. ?  If it is in a winter month.. fly in a day early.. otherwise if it is spring/summer month .. you should be fine.

Thank you! Cruise is April 12-18 on Empress. So sounds like we're OK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

We did the same thing once in May .. flew into FLL .. and took a shuttle to port of Miami..  we were on the ship after 1pm..  and our ship didn't depart until 430pm.. so we had plenty of time..

enjoy your cruise 🙂

What was your experience with the shuttle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stallings06 said:

Hey guys! We are getting ready to hit BOOK on our first Royal Caribbean cruise. We are flying in from Virginia to Fort Lauderdale and the ship is leaving from Miami. Airfare is half as much to land in Ft Lauderdale and Uber to the Miami port (45 mins). Our flight lands in Ft Lauderdale at 0951, so assuming all runs on time and we grab the Uber without issue and no traffic, we should be to Miami around 11am. Is this okay? Are we leaving too much to chance?

THANKS!

YIPPEE !!  First cruise....so exciting !

As Cruisegirl1976 said, a great deal depends on the time of year you are traveling/cruising.  Also a factor....whether or not you have any connections or if the flights are nonstop.  Most regular cruisers will advise that it is BEST to arrive at the port [area] a day in advance of sailing but we all know that it's not always possible to do that.  If all goes as scheduled, you will be fine.  If, however, you are traveling in the winter months and you have connecting flights somewhere, your risk is significantly increased.

Just to show you that I am complete hypocrite, next month (arguably the coldest and most unpredictable month of the year) I am traveling from DCA to Newark via Charlotte on sail day...so I have violated all of the recommendations that I just made to you. ...but I like living on the edge.  #notreally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SweetHomeLady said:

I would never fly in on the day of a cruise.  Too many chances for things to go wrong.  My humble opinion.

I agree completely Lol The flights are higher flying in on Saturday plus the cost of a hotel room. Family of 4. But all of that is a moot point if we miss the ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the past, Ive always driven/flown to port on the morning of embarkation, and never had an issue.  That being said.....now that Im older, and wiser, and have listened to @Matt harp on it endlessly, if I were flying, im flying in the night before, and getting a hotel.  If im driving, im driving all, or most of the way the night before, and getting a hotel. I dont want, even a sliver of a chance of anything going wrong, to keep me off that ship. Example: were leaving out of Tampa on Apr. 11th and were driving down the day before, hotelling (my word) it for a night, and getting on the ship a.s.a.p. the next day. Happy planning, and cruising!!!!!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

YIPPEE !!  First cruise....so exciting !

As Cruisegirl1976 said, a great deal depends on the time of year you are traveling/cruising.  Also a factor....whether or not you have any connections or if the flights are nonstop.  Most regular cruisers will advise that it is BEST to arrive at the port [area] a day in advance of sailing but we all know that it's not always possible to do that.  If all goes as scheduled, you will be fine.  If, however, you are traveling in the winter months and you have connecting flights somewhere, your risk is significantly increased.

Just to show you that I am complete hypocrite, next month (arguably the coldest and most unpredictable month of the year) I am traveling from DCA to Newark via Charlotte on sail day...so I have violated all of the recommendations that I just made to you. ...but I like living on the edge.  #notreally

Haha Yes I would much much prefer to fly in a day early. However as a family of 4, it added a considerable amount to the flights (plus hotel) to fly in on a Saturday instead of Sunday. I'm certainly not driven entirely by the dollar signs (given what we're spending on the cruise) but it's a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stallings06 said:

What was your experience with the shuttle? 

It was perfect.. we used SAS transportation.. no issues at all.. it was around $15 per person.. and it takes about 45 minutes depending on the traffic to get to POM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl1976 said:

It was perfect.. we used SAS transportation.. no issues at all.. it was around $15 per person.. and it takes about 45 minutes depending on the traffic to get to POM.

What time did you land?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Just to show you that I am complete hypocrite, next month (arguably the coldest and most unpredictable month of the year) I am traveling from DCA to Newark via Charlotte on sail day...so I have violated all of the recommendations that I just made to you. ...but I like living on the edge.  #notreally

In 2006 I went from Toronto to Dulles to San Juan on Boxing Day for a departing-the-same-day Princess Cruise. Zero problems but with basically zero slack it's not something I'd try to do again.

With that said, Virginia to FLL in April is obviously a shorter trip (and direct) so there is less chance for things to go wrong. It still might not be ideal to fly in the day of, but with that said I think it's an acceptable risk.

11 minutes ago, stallings06 said:

I agree completely Lol The flights are higher flying in on Saturday plus the cost of a hotel room. Family of 4. But all of that is a moot point if we miss the ship!

What I always think of when I see "moot point":

Image result for moo point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice...NEVER fly in the day off...connecting flight delayed(even if its not yours but the one coming in to get you).....maintenance issues...security issue......wayyyy to risky...maybe if it was a 5am flight and if you missed that you could catch a later flight and still make it...

 

Could you make it?...Yes and you probably will be fine...but to me its not worth the risk of thousands of dollars......my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, stallings06 said:

Hey guys! We are getting ready to hit BOOK on our first Royal Caribbean cruise. We are flying in from Virginia to Fort Lauderdale and the ship is leaving from Miami. Airfare is half as much to land in Ft Lauderdale and Uber to the Miami port (45 mins). Our flight lands in Ft Lauderdale at 0951, so assuming all runs on time and we grab the Uber without issue and no traffic, we should be to Miami around 11am. Is this okay? Are we leaving too much to chance?

THANKS!

Just make sure you have trip insurance (e.g., in case of a travel delay).  We successfully flew to and cruised from Europe twice while arriving on the same day as the departure.  But we carried insurance, and I had a list of alternative routes in case we were delayed en route. 

That said, I would normally follow the lead of others and travel a day early.  We do this now since we drive.  Have a great trip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pass September we flew into FLL and took a lyft to Port of Miami. We took the first flight out of Michigan and landed in FLL at 9:40am and got to the Port at 10:34am. Everything went smoothly but I was on edge the whole time worrying about what to do if we hit a delay. With me and wife high demand jobs it's not always easy to get extra days off.

If you can fly a day early, then do it. If you can't, take the very first Direct flight to FLL. Traffic can get really heavy going to Miami.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A first time cruiser might fly-in the day of a cruise. 

 

A veteran cruiser would NEVER fly-in the same day.

 

Place yourself wherever you see fit along the continuum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...