Kwevans

No passport. How bad will it be?

3 hours ago, RoyalGreek said:

It’s listed in the Cruise Contract. 

I called RC this morning and you are correct!! I will have to have my marriage license in addition to my birth certificate. Luckily I have a mother-in-law who lives down the street and is able to overnight it to our hotel while we're in Orlando. Otherwise, I'm not sure what my options would be!  Thank you so much for the heads up. I would have been highly upset when I went to board the cruise ship on Friday. 

Here's hoping this helps any other married women traveling with a birth certificate instead of a passport!! 

22 minutes ago, Kwevans said:

Here's hoping this helps any other married women traveling with a birth certificate instead of a passport!! 

It's not just traveling.  Anytime you need to prove your identity, your name must match on all required documents or you need the marriage certificate (or divorce papers) to link the names together.  In cases where couples both hyphenate their names, they will both have to watch out for this too!

12 hours ago, Kwevans said:

I called RC this morning and you are correct!! I will have to have my marriage license in addition to my birth certificate. Luckily I have a mother-in-law who lives down the street and is able to overnight it to our hotel while we're in Orlando. Otherwise, I'm not sure what my options would be!  Thank you so much for the heads up. I would have been highly upset when I went to board the cruise ship on Friday. 

I just did a cruise on navigator with bc and they didn't ask for my marriage certificate to prove name change either getting on or off ship. That said more paperwork is always better than less 

8 hours ago, Whizbank said:

I just did a cruise on navigator with bc and they didn't ask for my marriage certificate to prove name change either getting on or off ship. That said more paperwork is always better than less 

I'm hoping that is the case but then again after going to the trouble of having it overnighted to my hotel I want them to ask for it!! 😂

We are back from our cruise and I wanted to give an update on how it went traveling with birth certificates....

I was NEVER asked for my marriage license (although I had it and was prepared if so)!!  Traveling with our birth certificates didn’t seem to increase any wait time compared to traveling with our passports. However, I will go with a passport next time for peace of mind in case of a medical emergency, etc. 

and for what it worth, our cruise was amazing and we want to go back RIGHT NOW!  Totally addicted to cruising!!

5 hours ago, Kwevans said:

We are back from our cruise and I wanted to give an update on how it went traveling with birth certificates....

I was NEVER asked for my marriage license (although I had it and was prepared if so)!!  Traveling with our birth certificates didn’t seem to increase any wait time compared to traveling with our passports. However, I will go with a passport next time for peace of mind in case of a medical emergency, etc. 

and for what it worth, our cruise was amazing and we want to go back RIGHT NOW!  Totally addicted to cruising!!

So glad everything worked out and that you had an amazing trip!!  jane

On 6/17/2019 at 7:02 AM, castle25 said:

Being from the UK, it amazes me how many US citizens dont have a passport.  For the sake of $150 dollars why wouldn't you get one!!   The same goes for the number that dont have proper cruise insurance..........

Probably the vast majority of Americans cant afford to travel outside of the U.S. or cant get the time off work.  In the UK you are a short train ride to mainland Europe.   There are a large number that would be happy just to be able to see most of America.  So you are comparing apples to oranges.