Jump to content
Lindsay

It happened! I am on an upgrade wait list. Now what?

Recommended Posts

After all of these years, I got the golden ticket!  Well, not really but you should've seen the happy dance I did when I received the email from Royal asking if I wanted to be on the wait list for a Junior Suite!!!!  There was a small fee for the upgrade ($250).  So, I said clicked the "ADD TO WAIT LIST" button.  The message said something like - You are now on the wait list.  If this becomes available, we will call you.   

Now what?

Will they call me 5 days before the cruise to tell me I've got the upgrade?  Will I get an email?  What if I miss the call?  Please let me know your experience with this.  I am curious. 

Thanks!!!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the same email (except mine said estimated upcharge will be $500 😞 ). The fine print at the bottom said they will call once and if you don't answer you are marked off the list and they go to the next person. I clicked add to list because it's not set in stone. If they call and offer me the upgrade (even at a cheaper than stated price) I can still decline if its not in a location I am happy with. We are already in a midship, but slightly closer to front, oceanview balcony stateroom that we got for $1633 total for my wife and I on a 7 night Oasis cruise on Sept. 9, 2018 that we are very pleased with. 

I did read on cruise critic that when the junior suite upgrade is presented and you accept it you do NOT get double crown and anchor points. Which would be my only reason to consider paying more for the upgrade. The list of perks is pretty small for junior suites. Pretty much a slightly larger balcony room. We once had an oceanview balcony on independence of the seas that was on the hump so it had a larger balcony. They now sell that same room as a junior suite. I would not have paid extra for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

After all of these years, I got the golden ticket!  Well, not really but you should've seen the happy dance I did when I received the email from Royal asking if I wanted to be on the wait list for a Junior Suite!!!!  There was a small fee for the upgrade ($250).  So, I said clicked the "ADD TO WAIT LIST" button.  The message said something like - You are now on the wait list.  If this becomes available, we will call you.   

Now what?

Will they call me 5 days before the cruise to tell me I've got the upgrade?  Will I get an email?  What if I miss the call?  Please let me know your experience with this.  I am curious. 

Thanks!!!  

 

Please do not hate me for this😕.  I got the same email, also did the happy dance but never got the call. I truly hope you are luckier than we were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Skid said:

Please do not hate me for this😕.  I got the same email, also did the happy dance but never got the call. I truly hope you are luckier than we were. 

IIRC @Suzanne also got this email for her Adventure cruise...and nothing I think....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It truly is not worth it as you don`t get the double points.  You do get the double points if you book a J.S. initially which we do so as to get points faster and move up the ladder.  We have not gotten the notice to move up to a  real suite.  We will welcome the opportunity if it arises tho.  Have a better chance at winning the lottery tho.  The key is not to miss the phone call.  Your caller i.d. won`t say RC and if you are like us and don`t answer an unknown number.  God bye upgrade.  We have had to change our habits because of these types of experiences.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jason.H. said:

I got the same email (except mine said estimated upcharge will be $500 😞 ). The fine print at the bottom said they will call once and if you don't answer you are marked off the list and they go to the next person. I clicked add to list because it's not set in stone. If they call and offer me the upgrade (even at a cheaper than stated price) I can still decline if its not in a location I am happy with. We are already in a midship, but slightly closer to front, oceanview balcony stateroom that we got for $1633 total for my wife and I on a 7 night Oasis cruise on Sept. 9, 2018 that we are very pleased with. 

I did read on cruise critic that when the junior suite upgrade is presented and you accept it you do NOT get double crown and anchor points. Which would be my only reason to consider paying more for the upgrade. The list of perks is pretty small for junior suites. Pretty much a slightly larger balcony room. We once had an oceanview balcony on independence of the seas that was on the hump so it had a larger balcony. They now sell that same room as a junior suite. I would not have paid extra for it. 

You are on a bigger ship that I will be on so that explains why yours is $500 and mine $250.  I hope I don't miss this call!  I often don't answer calls when they come from a weird # on my cell.  

I didn't realize that about the C&A points.  Oh well.  We are okay with the Junior Suite and know it doesn't come with the better Grand Suite and up perks.  But it would be nice to have a little more room.  

My fingers are crossed that we do get this upgrade!!!  Good luck to you too!!!!!  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Skid said:

Please do not hate me for this😕.  I got the same email, also did the happy dance but never got the call. I truly hope you are luckier than we were. 

I don't hate you for that comment!  Here's to hoping I get the call!  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SPS said:

FYI: Keep in mind that the call might come from a number you don't recognize in OREGON instead of Miami, Florida. So don't hit "ignore" on it!

I've received calls about my reservations from their call center there. 

Good to know!  Thank you!  Guess I will be answering ALL of my calls for the next 70+ days!  UGH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

But from my wife's perspective, you get a walk in closet and tub shower, so it is well worth the money, points or not...

It's really more like a regular hotel room than a large balcony room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MDJ said:

We got an upgrade to an Owners Suite from a JS on indi the other week for £60!!

And there are NO normal oceanview balconies on the hump which are charged as JS. it's either a JS or a balcony, a larger balcony doesn't make a room a JS

That is awesome! I am sorry, must have misread or maybe they since upgraded the room I was in on Indy to make it an actual JS. It was quite a few years ago when we were on Indy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, Jason.H. said:

I got the same email (except mine said estimated upcharge will be $500 😞 ). The fine print at the bottom said they will call once and if you don't answer you are marked off the list and they go to the next person. I clicked add to list because it's not set in stone. If they call and offer me the upgrade (even at a cheaper than stated price) I can still decline if its not in a location I am happy with. We are already in a midship, but slightly closer to front, oceanview balcony stateroom that we got for $1633 total for my wife and I on a 7 night Oasis cruise on Sept. 9, 2018 that we are very pleased with. 

I did read on cruise critic that when the junior suite upgrade is presented and you accept it you do NOT get double crown and anchor points. Which would be my only reason to consider paying more for the upgrade. The list of perks is pretty small for junior suites. Pretty much a slightly larger balcony room. We once had an oceanview balcony on independence of the seas that was on the hump so it had a larger balcony. They now sell that same room as a junior suite. I would not have paid extra for it. 

Can someone please let me know how to get on the list? I'm a diamond Plus member and never got a call or email regarding An upgrade possibility. Please and Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Can someone please let me know how to get on the list? I'm a diamond Plus member and never got a call or email regarding An upgrade possibility. Please and Thank you. 

From what I understand it kind of just happens. Randomly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of like the Wheel Of Fortune. Luck of the draw.  Magic.    And then you get home and their is a  message on the answer machine:  Hi its RC we were calling to upgrade you. Sorry you missed our call. W e are calling the next guest on our upgrade list.  That is the scenario we try to avoid so the cordless and cell phone go everywhere when we are home or the landline is call forwarded to the cell phone when we are outdoors.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious -- has anyone who has gotten these upgrade offers booked through a TA, or only direct booking with Royal? I'd imagine that Royal prefers to go with direct bookings since they have the direct phone line to the passenger, but I could see where they'd allow it to be "proxied" via the TA as long as the actual passenger gave written approval via email or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JudiKenn1 said:

Wow!! How does one go about getting on an upgrade list?  Every time we call to see if upgrades are available we’re told no. 

Unfortunately, you cannot place yourself on the upgrade list. Either the cruise line will call you and offer the potential for an upgrade or they won’t.  It’s a crap shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blender41 said:

I just got an email today regarding the upgrade opportunity.  I am currently on the wait list.  We are already in a Jr Suite (hump room) and set sail on the Freedom in 2 days.  I guess we wait and see what happens!

Seems like today was the day that that tease, the upgrade fairy, was spreading the love. We got one too, to go from Interior to Oceanview Balcony on Enchantment for $100. Fingers crossed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...