Royal Caribbean Blog

Anthem 11/25/17 - 7+12 B2B

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 4 - San Juan, Scheduled Arrival 3pm  As we approached San Juan our sunny day ended and it became apparent we would have some liquid sunshine, emphasis on liquid, to contend with. We

I don't always live blog my cruises,   But when I do I live blog on RoyalCarribeanBlog.com.  Live from my balcony. Note to @Matt - need a full screen logo 🙂  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

A lot of people have complained about the vendors in the straw market and I used to be one of them.  I avoided cruises with a stop in Nassau but that was based on an experience during a cruise here in 2000 and a lot has changed in 17 years.

I have to tend to agree, I stopped as recently as 2012 and didn't want to go back, but just visited again this year in October and was surprised by what seemed like a new attitude towards tourist. 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

It was very humid and had rained prior to our arrival and I was treated to a rainbow off my balcony. 

5a1eaf75debe6_AnthemNight4-2.jpg.9cb42e5c7b67fa84cb1b59c77b29bb87.jpg

This is definitely one of my favorite shots, along with your night photos of Anthem all lit up and pretty with nowhere to go. And you're really making me think I should spend the money on Moment's Super Fisheye 170º lens for my phone, along with the tele and wide angle lenses. I'm going to need a really good bonus this year to cover all these unexpected extra expenses... :4_joy:

Yesterday was an action packed evening.  First my ride in Northstar.  

0zmpjwe.jpg

We boarded just as the sun was setting.

UyKPII4.jpg

Despite 15 people being in Northstar it was quite roomy.

Za3RFST.jpg

We slowly started rising.  It runs a pre-selected computer program, the operator didn't "drive" it, at least not on my ride.

DRkU2UV.jpg

qswyBt8.jpg

IZ9H4Tt.jpg

zF48fgC.jpg

5J6SGuQ.jpg

ebuMSih.jpg

Our ride over, we just waited for Northstar to dock.

bdJgiHp.jpg

After exiting there is a small viewing platform which is the highest you can visit on the ship (other than inside Northstar) so a few more pictures were in order.

k63HVgh.jpg

Y5l3PGw.jpg

L7hYmD7.jpg

It was a 10 minute ride and it started to rain just towards the end while we were almost back down to the ground but it only lasted a few seconds.

It goes by really fast and Northstar is very smooth.  With a camera up to my face for much of it I didn't even realize we had started our descent until we were almost fully back down.

With Northstar complete it was time for sail away. 

We had some pier runners tonight who delayed our departure just long enough so that NCL ship was the first out of port.  

CuqUs2C.jpg

She had a straight shot towards the mouth of the harbor so even before she was clear of the turning basin we began backing out and into the turning basin for our turn.  With the NCL ship gone I was able to capture Majesty of the Seas still tied up at the pier.

hhy4n29.jpg

FrOCuYG.jpg

Once clear of the harbor and our pilot off we quickly caught up with that NCL ship.  An inbound cruise ship, Princess I think and the NCL ship got very close to each other while we stayed a good bit East of both.  This was a good 15 miles off shore and I'm surprised their Captains would sail so close to each other at night.  Must have been quite a sight for the passengers of both.

YiQNNkS.jpg

Dinner tonight was in the My Time MDR Silk.  

I had cancelled my MTD reservation because it overlapped with Northstar.  The app was acting up and I couldn't make a dinner reservation with it.  I could have called or gone to guest services but I figured I'd just wing it and go without a reservation.  It took less than 10 minutes to get a table to myself at 7pm.

Wait staff tonight were Mustafa and Wanyi.  Both were friendly and efficient, but they were hopping.  Unlike the small ships where the wait staff can stop briefly and chat, MTD dining rooms are too busy for the staff to do that on Anthem.  It's one of the things I like about small ships.

Shortly after I took this photo the tables all around me filled up.

jh65XK6.jpg

jEWxA6L.jpg

Wedge salad and Chicken Parmigiana tonight.  

gYhvy3k.jpg

Food was great and brought out very quickly.  I was in and out in under 45 minutes.

Tonight's show was "We Will Rock You" in the main theater.  Given how quick the MDR was tonight I had time to run to Vintages for a glass of wine before the show.  

The show started off a bit slow for me and I was wondering what I got myself into.  As it progressed I began to warm up to it more and more.  Roughly halfway through I was really enjoying it and by the end I was on my feet applauding with the rest of the theater.  Don't miss it, especially if you like Rock and the music of Queen.

I plan to go again next cruise but from the upper level so I can see the band who sit in four boxes stage left and right on the second level and were hard to see from front and center.

lJsedgu.jpg

tj4YAKv.jpg

After the show I went to the pub for a few beer and overheard someone mention 'RED'.  If you've been on Harmony you may have experienced RED before.  It's a full club experience, music blaring, chest pounding club night with dancers popping up or down or swinging in the air from ropes.  It's not a 'show' but an interactive club experience.  

4zGDEqz.jpg

wjgClsL.jpg

They started to lower the blinds and I had been curious how they turn it windows into projection screens during full daylight so I took a picture of the shades coming down.

FK3pSQm.jpg

There is a double blind system over each window.  A light blocking shade in the middle of the frame and then a projection screen surface more flush with the inner surface.  The result is a projection surface that let's them do things like this:

sKq15B1.jpg

44 minutes ago, twangster said:

The show started off a bit slow for me and I was wondering what I got myself into.  As it progressed I began to warm up to it more and more. 

I had the same experience.  At first, I thought "I have no idea what's going on, but this is incredibly weird" but once Britney Spears came out, it started to make sense for me and then I really got into the show!

59 minutes ago, Matt said:

Also, pretty sure that is @Big Dawg Ron in the green shirt in this photo!

I was wondering if anyone would notice.  Not finding @Big Dawg Ron in the pub would be like not finding beer in the pub!

Just finished iFly.  Wow what a rush.  I am definitely going again on the next cruise.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Tonight's show was "We Will Rock You" in the main theater.  Given how quick the MDR was tonight I had time to run to Vintages for a glass of wine before the show.  

The show started off a bit slow for me and I was wondering what I got myself into.  As it progressed I began to warm up to it more and more.  Roughly halfway through I was really enjoying it and by the end I was on my feet applauding with the rest of the theater.  Don't miss it, especially if you like Rock and the music of Queen.

Question for you...or anyone else who has seen it...Is this show appropriate for children under 12?

20 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Question for you...or anyone else who has seen it...Is this show appropriate for children under 12?

The only thing I noted was some swear words like bit** and a**hole.  Not often, only a couple times.  Some adult oriented innuendo but nothing overt.  There were kids under 12 in the audience last night, quite a few actually.  I didn't note any warnings or suggestions that it is adult only. 

27 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Man, I really need to book Anthem.

Leave it to @twangster and his pictures.  I was seriously thinking the same thing...  Fall 2019 group cruise?

1 minute ago, Matt said:

After reading this blog, I said same thing to my wife. 

Her response:
oWcf.gif

I know better than to do that.  Luckily at this point I can just tell my wife "hey, do you want to go on a cruise in (fill-in the date)?".  

17 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

so now @twangster first had me wanting to book Allure, now I have to book Anthem. I am going to go bankrupt if he keeps changing ships and blogs!! LOL  I hope after his next 12 days he's stateside awhile! LOL

Ha!  I think he said he booked Indy soon!  I'm safe for now.  Got Anthem and Indy booked already and I'm not into cameras. Phew!

• Matt featured this topic