What the Duck

Sorry may be a dumb question 

i have watched a couple of youtube Vids on RC and there is this thing with finding Ducks 

is it a scavenger hunt or something? is there a prize?

is it run by the Ship?

so What the Duck?

Its a 'thing' started by passengers. Not RC sponsored.

People buy ribber ducks from Amazon, Dollar Stores etc.

Often they put tags on them saying 'Con-quack-ulationas' and other cute things.

They hide the ducks around ship. Just not in pools or bathrooms.

People hunt for them as a pass time (especially kids). If found, you can re-hide them for some one else to find or keep them.

Some people will bring hundreds of ducks with them on the cruise to hide.

On Amazon you can find packages of hundreds of ducks. The variety is endless. Star Wars ducks, Cowboy ducks .... whatever.

There is a Facebook page dedicated to Cruising Ducks.

There is a similar initiative for people that drive Jeep Wranglers.. You often see ducks perched inside the windshield. If you see a Jeep you like, You leave them a duck on the hood where the owner can find it. Some nice Jeeps had enormous collections of ducks.

It seems kinda foolish yet fun.

It was great when everyone didn't know about it because a few people would bring ducks and, if you didn't know about the trend, it would be fun to find one. 

Now it's reaching the point where it's becoming too big of a thing so there are hundreds of ducks on every ship. There are some real Scrooges out there who really hate it. I'm not one of them. I love the idea and it's fun for kids. But there's a fine line between a fun little treasure hunt and dozens of people bringing what can sometimes be hundreds of ducks and there being ducks everywhere. Now, there are ducks from previous cruises visible in inaccessible places.

I feel like, if it gets much bigger, Royal will have to do something to limit it. No idea how they would do it, but once ducks start being left everywhere and dropped into art installations and on top of elevators, etc., it goes beyond its original intention. 

I do bring a few and try to find some. Have been lucky to a find a couple. Yes, it can be overwhelming. I've read that some people bring bring 100s or close to it. I don't have room in my suitcase for that many.🤣. I know of one cruise line that has banned ducks, (mouse). People also are starting to hid other critters as well. Anything goes. 

1 hour ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

At first look, this is just a picture of the artwork on Odyssey, but a quick zoom in shows a creative way to hide a duck

image.jpeg

20240216_085436.jpg

I was on Odyssey last month... THIS is not a creative way to "Hide" a duck.   In order to get the ducks on that wall sculpture, they had to be thrown from the opening above the elevator bank on the upper decks. Those that missed ended up on top of the elevators... What happens when one of those thrown ducks ends up caught in the elevator cable pulley? This is an example of how something fun is taken to unintended levels. Some one on our cruise made and hid laser etched rocks! what would be the consequences if those started to be thrown from high above.  On Oasis class ships, the Horticulturist's dislike them because people will hide them in the live plants and others trample the plants looking for ducks.

It can be great fun if done responsibly, unfortunately, personal  responsibility seems to have gone out the window...sorry for the rant.

1 hour ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

At first look, this is just a picture of the artwork on Odyssey, but a quick zoom in shows a creative way to hide a duck

image.jpeg

20240216_085436.jpg

These are the things people and cruise lines get upset about.
Hiding ducks in places like this, totally unreachable for any guest. They should have thrown the duck to get it there, this is not OK.

2 hours ago, jeffmw said:

feel like, if it gets much bigger, Royal will have to do something to limit it.

The staff that help take care of Central Park on Oasis told us they have been trying to get signs to ban it in CP, but Royal hasn't done anything about it as of yet.  They told me kids (and adults) climb through the trees, reach in and ruffle through the bushes and trample plants. So they may not ban it altogether, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some restrictions eventually. 

37 minutes ago, michaelp1446 said:

I was on Odyssey last month... THIS is not a creative way to "Hide" a duck.   In order to get the ducks on that wall sculpture, they had to be thrown from the opening above the elevator bank on the upper decks. Those that missed ended up on top of the elevators... What happens when one of those thrown ducks ends up caught in the elevator cable pulley? This is an example of how something fun is taken to unintended levels. Some one on our cruise made and hid laser etched rocks! what would be the consequences if those started to be thrown from high above.  On Oasis class ships, the Horticulturist's dislike them because people will hide them in the live plants and others trample the plants looking for ducks.

It can be great fun if done responsibly, unfortunately, personal  responsibility seems to have gone out the window...sorry for the rant.

I would add, this was something I saw, not something I personally would do.

20 minutes ago, ScottD said:

The staff that help take care of Central Park on Oasis told us they have been trying to get signs to ban it in CP, but Royal hasn't done anything about it as of yet.  They told me kids (and adults) climb through the trees, reach in and ruffle through the bushes and trample plants. So they may not ban it altogether, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are some restrictions eventually. 

The couple I've hidden in CP are in the arbor area vines and just dropped it just off the walkways .

51 minutes ago, dmattinson said:

I'm agnostic to the ducks but I truly wish that people who claim them, take them back to their cabin, and then throw them out or leave them behind wouldn't participate.  Waste of resources and stolen joy from someone that could have enjoyed finding them.

I think most people who take them back to the room end up keeping them. 

2 hours ago, dmattinson said:

I'm agnostic to the ducks but I truly wish that people who claim them, take them back to their cabin, and then throw them out or leave them behind wouldn't participate.  Waste of resources and stolen joy from someone that could have enjoyed finding them.

About 2 years ago, I found a duck. I took it to see the tag, then put it back because I thought "I'm a grown man, I really don't want this duck".

A few days later my kid found another one and was incredibly happy about it. I should've given him my duck. I'm stupid.

Strange thing (to me at least) is how much the crew likes ducks. It seems each cruise some crew member makes a comment about our stash of ducks on the table. I guess maybe they're a distraction from the every day routine.

One room service person even asked to take a picture of the stash.

It’s like Easter egg hunts, it’s for the kids.  We never pick one up but frequently point one out to a kid and they are usually delighted.  We have a lot of grandkids so appreciate this opportunity for the kids to enjoy something like this.  Now it’s a different conversation if they start showing up on adult cruises like Virgin Voyages.  

9 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

A few days later my kid found another one and was incredibly happy about it. I should've given him my duck. I'm stupid.

I wouldn't feel bad, if I were you. FINDING the duck was probably more satisfying to him than just being GIVEN one.

I hid 10 the last time I was on Harmony in super easy areas and on the edge of the sidewalk in CP.  It was fun to try and hide it when no one was there.  I have yet to find one of these "hundreds" of ducks though.  I have heard people say they've seen crew throw them out, but that's not anything I've witnessed.  I will keep looking until they are banned but will continue to hide only a few. Jane

Our cruising friends always bring ducks…no tags.  Whenever they leave their room they take a few with them and if they see a small child…sometimes crying, sometimes not…they get permission from the parent to make sure it’s ok to give the child/ren the duck/s.  So awesome to see the faces light up!

18 hours ago, ScottD said:

Take something benign and fun and people will find a way to Duck it up.

From December to February this year I sailed on Navigator OTS and hid more than 100 Ducks not including the ones I found and chose to hide them on the following cruise. You might be surprised to know that I saw twice as many adults searching for ducks as children.  On one sailing I had this person literally following me because she knew I was hiding ducks.  Once I made the mistake of asking parents of young children if I could give them a duck as to avoid the adults hording them. Big mistake as some of the parents looked at me very strangely so I stopped asking. Also, many children (and Adults) destroy the planters around the ship searching for ducks. I had a great time years ago hiding the ducks but as it gained popularity there became more destruction and some children running up and down the stairs looking for Ducks.  I have decided to stop hiding ducks which is sad because I rather enjoyed it and it was great exercise. Please remember to Duck Hunt responsibly 

I don't think anyone rational has a problem with the entire practice, in principle. It's great for kids and a fun tradition overall. But moderation and common sense is the key here and we seem to be getting well beyond those measuring sticks.

You can have 100 people each hiding 5 ducks. And you can have 5 people each hiding 50 ducks. But you can't have 100 people each hiding 50 ducks. 

The more passengers hiding more ducks, the more you have people looking for more creative places to hide them. I'm not sure how or where Royal would enforce this, but there just needs to be some limitations on 1) quantity brought onto the ship and 2) some areas that are off-limits. 

1 hour ago, jeffmw said:

I don't think anyone rational has a problem with the entire practice, in principle. It's great for kids and a fun tradition overall. But moderation and common sense is the key here and we seem to be getting well beyond those measuring sticks.

You can have 100 people each hiding 5 ducks. And you can have 5 people each hiding 50 ducks. But you can't have 100 people each hiding 50 ducks. 

The more passengers hiding more ducks, the more you have people looking for more creative places to hide them. I'm not sure how or where Royal would enforce this, but there just needs to be some limitations on 1) quantity brought onto the ship and 2) some areas that are off-limits. 

Makes sense ... but maybe hard to enforce.

"Sorry Mam, but that duck is contraband."

"Sorry Mam, the line is slow today because we only have one duck sniffing dog."

"Sorry Mam, this area if off ducking limits."

"Sorry Mam, but you can not duck in here."

Sorry ... I will quit.