Icon Pools Closed

Multiple (bordering on endless) Facebook posts week after week, that at least one pool on Icon has been closed every single day of every cruise. This is due to parents allowing children who are not potty trained to go in the pools. Apparently many times it's the main large pool. Once it happens it's closed for the entire day to clean. People please don't be selfish. If your child is not potty trained, stick to splash pads. It literally takes a pool for 7000 people out of commission for the entire day. Selfish and ridiculous. 

This happened to us on Mariner last summer. We had rainy weather for much of the trip. The last day at sea was very nice. Everyone was excited to finally have some sunshine. Not long after the pools opened, it was shut down for the same reason. It stayed closed all day. So the entire ship was down to one pool for families (not including the adult pool). It was so crowded. Everyone was really upset by this. I really wish people would be more careful about this with their children. 

Seems simple enough to enforce a 5 and older rule for the main pools. Any child younger than 5 has to stay in the splash/kiddie pool area. Most children are bladder and potty trained by 4 so restricting younger than 5 should mostly fix the issue. It should be good with most people since almost every public play/rides have height, weight or age restrictions. Then its up to Royal to ensure there is some kind of wet play area for those under 5.

That's crazy. I've seen this happen on a Disney cruise but never on any Royal cruise I've been on. It is a huge pain when it happens. 

Sometimes there are legitimate accidents with kids (or adults) who wouldn't usually have an issue, but it shouldn't happen with kids who aren't potty trained. I feel like there used to be more of an emphasis on making sure there were no swim diapers in the pools and everyone understood the rules, but they don't seem to get enforce it or talk about it as much. I assume they will startup again now if it's an ongoing issue. 

I firmly believe Royal cruises, especially Icon, are meant for families and kids -- but this shouldn't happen. 

37 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

That's crazy. I've seen this happen on a Disney cruise but never on any Royal cruise I've been on. It is a huge pain when it happens. 

Sometimes there are legitimate accidents with kids (or adults) who wouldn't usually have an issue, but it shouldn't happen with kids who aren't potty trained. I feel like there used to be more of an emphasis on making sure there were no swim diapers in the pools and everyone understood the rules, but they don't seem to get enforce it or talk about it as much. I assume they will startup again now if it's an ongoing issue. 

I firmly believe Royal cruises, especially Icon, are meant for families and kids -- but this shouldn't happen. 

Stuff like that is typically "I know the rules, but surely they don't apply to me" situations.

4 hours ago, tingtang said:

Just got off Icon. (4/27) I didn't go in any pools for this reason, and we have a great/clean pool of our own!  😃

For some of us it's our only chance to swim all year long. Folks can be selfish and irresponsible. There childs needs don't come ahead of thousands of people's. 

I also just got off Saturday and everyday at least one pool closed. The last sea day it was the main pool. They did reopen it later in the day and I swear there were at least 60 kids in there. 

We never use the pools as it’s like bathing in sweat and sunscreen. The fact Icon pools were closed everyday due to vomit or poop proves my point. 

Even better: people were urinating in the showers by the pool. 

No desire to sail this class again. Royal has finally reached “too big, too busy.” Going back to oasis class. 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We’re on Freedom now and the main pool was shut down before we even got out of port due to a child “throwing up” in the pool.  I know this isn’t the same as potty issues but the result is the same. 

We had that on one of those circulating whirlpools once. We fortunately got out seconds before a girl spewed all through it.

Kids should have to swim and play in kids pools.....pretty simple and easy solution.

We wonder every cruise, and we have done a few, why the cruise lines don't enforce pool rules and/or make kids stat in the kids pool areas.  Often  the kids  area was dead and empty on our Freedom cruise..they were all in the main pools and hotubs., I joked we should have taken over that area, but I am sure Royal would be quick to kick us out if that happened.

12 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Kids should have to swim and play in kids pools.....pretty simple and easy solution.

We wonder every cruise, and we have done a few, why the cruise lines don't enforce pool rules and/or make kids stat in the kids pool areas.  Often  the kids  area was dead and empty on our Freedom cruise..they were all in the main pools and hotubs., I joked we should have taken over that area, but I am sure Royal would be quick to kick us out if that happened.

There is already an adults only pool and hot tubs on Freedom. You want the main pool to be adults only as well? 

Sure....why not. it would be one way to prevent pools from closing as often and being overcrowded. Why bother having  a kids pool area that is hardly used as they all hang out in the main pools.

But I don't know why 2 year olds needs to be in a deep pool to "swim"...seems to me that the kids area would be the place for kids to be