"New Year, New Odyssey. Our Journey into 2024…" – OY 12/31/2023 – 01/06/2024

Lovetocruise2002

Have a safe, uneventful trip. 

We liked the Book and Showgirls, plus the first Effectors.

I was not a fan of the Esplanade on Odyssey though. It took us a couple of days to remember to get on the elevator/stairs to our side, otherwise we had to go out and all the way around because of the cutoff. 

What room do you have this sailing?

25 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I was not a fan of the Esplanade on Odyssey though. It took us a couple of days to remember to get on the elevator/stairs to our side, otherwise we had to go out and all the way around because of the cutoff. 

I hope “The Book” is not like “The Gift” lol

Hubby and I are doing this backwards. We saw Effectors 2 on Wonder, and now will see the original Effectors on OY. Kids will see the original first as we have yet to take them on WN. 

I really disliked the Esplanade on Anthem. So if OY is similar, I probably won’t be a fan either. The flow is not good, and they put out all the display tables and there’s just too much congestion. 

26 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

What room do you have this sailing?

Agree, the esplanade is different. Maybe just the lack of a very familiar royal promenade made it seem awkward? In any case, the epic playmakers, music hall and 270 make up for any deficiencies. The Odyssey is a great ship!

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

Agree, the esplanade is different. Maybe just the lack of a very familiar royal promenade made it seem awkward? In any case, the epic playmakers, music hall and 270 make up for any deficiencies. The Odyssey is a great ship!

I just don’t find the Esplanade as open as the promenade on OA. But yes, I agree, Playmakers, El Loco, Giovanni’s, and others things makes OY far superior to regular QN class IMO. 

1 minute ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Oh, and there is ice cream in the WJ (one of my girls found this quickly)!

IMG_4922.jpeg

Safe travels today and hope the weather warms enough that your daughters can enjoy it…even if just for a brief amount of time.  
As for your Dad…I have him in my prayers along with your family.  Our mortality is unique to each of us and, yes, cherishing each moment we have with each other is so important.  All those moments become the heartwarming memories we hold close!

I am so happy your Dad is doing well enough that you are able to embark on this 2024 welcoming!  True…no one knows what is ahead so make each moment count!  I wish you as much enjoyment as you can possibly find in next week!

I'm following ❤️ 

My husband and I are booked on the Odyssey for the Spring 2025 TransAtlantic crossing from Bayonne to Rome.  So I am most definitely interested in what this ship has to offer as far as daily activities…since we will have 6 at sea days before our first stop in Azores!  We have friends coming with us so it’s not just the 2 of us…

I look forward to ship details!  😂 

20 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Moving on to our NYE sailing on Odyssey of the Seas…

This is our first time on Odyssey. We were booked on the original inaugural sailing of this ship with quite a few others from this blog community. That was cancelled by the pandemic, and this NYE was our first opportunity to re-book this ship. I booked this sailing the day new itineraries were released. I am truly looking forward to this. I feel like OY got lost a bit in the shuffle by Wonder, and then Icon, but she is still fairly new and has a lot to offer.

As many of you know, I am not a fan of Quantum class ships, however, I am intrigued by how OY will differ.

Who’s Going?

Me, Hubby, D17, D15

Flight

Delta from DTW-FLL; booked through Air2Sea. Flying in on the 29th (tomorrow!) as our family policy is now 2 days early if we can swing it. Flight prices are horrendous for this trip, even compared to past NYE trips that we have taken. We were able to price it down a few times before final payment, but it was still double what we paid last year at this time. We even contemplated driving down, but in the end, Hubby was not up for that. Hopefully this doesn’t backfire, and he ends up driving anyway!

Pre-Cruise Stay

I booked our pre-cruise hotel for this trip the as soon as hotels released prices for our dates. The first reason was because I knew from the last few NYE sailings we’ve done; these hotels sell out fast and prices skyrocket the closer you get. Also, booking early allows me to grab the room type that I wanted because there was something specific that I had in mind.

When we sailed out of Port Everglades in the past, we have always stayed on 17th Street. I cannot even remember a time when we did not. However, because we are flying in 2 days early, and because we have no idea which, or if any freeloaders will be cruising with us for future NYE sailings, we wanted this one to be a bit more special. D15 has always looked longingly at the beach during our PE sail aways. She always asks why we cannot stay along the beach (Hello child, you know this family loves La Bamba right?), so for this pre-cruise stay, we are doing just that.

I have always wanted to try the Conrad on Fort Lauderdale Beach, however @Jax persuaded me to try out the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort. I was really impressed by her review on this property last year and I’ve been following them on Instagram for about a year now. I think this property is a better fit for the 4 of us over the Conrad. In addition, I persuaded D17’s best friend to stay there with her family back in September, and they loved it as well, so we are pretty excited for our stay.

This will sadly mean that we have to Uber/Lyft our way to our beloved La Bamba.

Itinerary

29 DEC Arrive Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 DEC FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

31 DEC FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA (Cruise Day !)

01 JAN PERFECT DAY COCOCAY, BAHAMAS

02 JAN CRUISING

03 JAN LABADEE, HAITI

04 JAN PUERTO PLATA, DOMINICAN REP

05 JAN CRUISING

06 JAN FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

Cabin

The recurring theme for our next few family sailings is, “Go Big, or Go Home” because D17 is graduating high school this June and we have no idea what that means for sailing as a family of 4 in the future. For this sailing, we will be revisiting a cabin that we fell in love with when we sailed Anthem to Norway.

Pre-Cruise thoughts

-        This is probably one of the most relaxed sailings for me in terms of pre-cruise planning. With two beach days (PDCC and Labadee), Hubby and the girls are going to do their beach things and I will likely not get off the ship at all, except for the day in Puerto Plata.

-        Long time blog members, @recogneyesand @WannaCruise will be on this sailing too. Hoping that we can find a time to finally meet each other. Canadians need to stick together lol

-        This was unfortunately one of the first times where both hotel and cruise fare never dropped since initial booking. Both were booked on the day it was released, and prices have just climbed over time. Zero opportunities for price adjustments this time around.

-        Once again, in the spirit of a live blog, please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  I will do my best to find out whatever I can for you.

-        When responding to a post with a series of pictures, please do not include the pictures in your reply.  It just makes for easier scrolling.

-        Lastly, I will try to post videos and stories on Instagram.  You can follow me @lovetocruise2002

We will absolutely make this happen!  I am glad that your family can make this trip happen and prayers for your dad and his health.

39 minutes ago, recogneyes said:

We will absolutely make this happen!  I am glad that your family can make this trip happen and prayers for your dad and his health.

Safe travels to you guy too! See you on board!

29 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Since you volunteered to check out the WJ... I just wanted to make sure you knew that a single picture of ice cream from the very front doesn't count. 😁

Fine, I will take a few more steps in. 😒😉

9 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

The main events have been a hoot with Ricky Matthews as CD. His assistant Tristan is also great.

We love Ricky Matthews! We have sailed with him twice before. 

Made it to FLL! Our bag made it too! However, this trip was not totally uneventful, instead of bag left behind, it was iPhone left behind. As I was getting off the plane, my phone must have fallen out of my pocket. I did not realize I dropped it until we were in baggage claim. Had to go back through security and again, small blessings, it was with the gate agent. Not my brightest moment, that’s for sure.

I see what @asquared17 means now about moving the ride share area further down. It was a hike with luggage! 

Off to the hotel now. Will check in later! 

1 minute ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Made it to FLL! Our bag made it too! However, this trip was not totally uneventful, instead of bag left behind, it was iPhone left behind. As I was getting off the plane, my phone must have fallen out of my pocket. I did not realize I dropped it until we were in baggage claim. Had to go back through security and again, small blessings, it was with the gate agent. Not my brightest moment, that’s for sure.

Oh WOW!!!  So glad it was with the gate agent and not on its way to the next destination.  

Blessings and healing thoughts to your dad, I'm so happy you guys sailed together in the Villa! 

We sailed the Odyssey when the second mini shutdown happened. We were in the 2 bedroom grand I believe. The ship was a bit wonky as I missed the promenade. Our stops were eliminated and we just sailed around in circles. The suites concierge was down with "C" and we didn't really enjoy #CK on this ship, it seemed dark and an after thought, just spoiled I guess. Now, @OCSC Mike we thought it was the BEST WJ in the fleet. Big, bright, beautiful! I guess we didnt enjoy the suites lounge location as it was aft, seperate from CK. Also, I think we saw a show, a condensed version of the Book because most of the entertainment staff was down with "C" Never got to see the Effectors, so happy you YOLO and get to experience this sailing. 

Again all the best and warmest thoughts, wishes and prayers for dad, 💙💙

Following along💙

On 12/28/2023 at 2:39 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have no idea what 2024 is going to hold for our family. But one thing is certain, we take heart in knowing that God is working for our good in the midst of all of this, and there is always joy come morning.

Praying for you and your family. May this be a restful time filled with peace that only god can bring. Happy New Year! 

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

Blessings and healing thoughts to your dad, I'm so happy you guys sailed together in the Villa! 

We sailed the Odyssey when the second mini shutdown happened. We were in the 2 bedroom grand I believe. The ship was a bit wonky as I missed the promenade. Our stops were eliminated and we just sailed around in circles. The suites concierge was down with "C" and we didn't really enjoy #CK on this ship, it seemed dark and an after thought, just spoiled I guess. Now, @OCSC Mike we thought it was the BEST WJ in the fleet. Big, bright, beautiful! I guess we didnt enjoy the suites lounge location as it was aft, seperate from CK. Also, I think we saw a show, a condensed version of the Book because most of the entertainment staff was down with "C" Never got to see the Effectors, so happy you YOLO and get to experience this sailing. 

Yes, I remember that sailing of yours. I think because we have some Anthem a few times, we know what to expect with CK/suite lounge. Shame that your shows got messed up. Thank you for your well wishes. 

57 minutes ago, themillennialcruiser said:

Praying for you and your family. May this be a restful time filled with peace that only god can bring. Happy New Year! 

Thank you. ❤️

We arrived to the hotel just before 3pm but our room was not ready. We had to wait until 4pm before we could get settled. This hotel is quite nice, the space is huge! The kids said its like an apartment. However, I can see what @tonyfsu21 meant a while ago when he said it was an older property. It’s been renovated, but it’s worn in corners and some hard to reach areas, especially in the bathrooms. Nothing major, just little things. Having the kitchen is great! Not that I am going to cook, but so convenient to make our tea, have a quick breakfast in room, and to store and eat leftovers. 

The room we have is an Oceanfront 1 Bedroom King Suite. The freeloaders get the sofa bed. The balcony wraps around and it has a full view of the pool and ocean. The view is beautiful. I cannot wait to just sit out there for a bit tomorrow. 

By the time we finished getting settled, it was 5pm. At first the kids wanted to take a walk along A1A, but by 5pm everyone was hungry so off to La Bamba we went! 

I cannot explain how happy I am to go back to La Bamba. We have searched all over for restaurants that are similar to this and not one compares. We just love this place! 
470fb4d2-3a2a-4e74-a36c-75ea0b5bfe98.thumb.jpeg.71661d7bf63fb9fd554ab15024173070.jpeg

By the time we finished, we realized that we were exhausted. Made a quick Publix run for some yogurt, muffins, and fruit, and back at the hotel to call it a night. 

hot take; i actually am quite fond of the hilton because of the full kitchen access.

like you, when we stayed as a family, we found it super convenient to have yogurt, coffee, breakfast foods and snacks throughout the day in a REAL fridge. perfect for my mom and her tea too!

i do think the property is getting too big for its britches as far as pricing goes these days (what isn’t, honestly??), but i love the modern airy spaces and double bathroom situation. 

morning walks on the beach/pavement-like boardwalk are also a treat. 💚

7 hours ago, asquared17 said:

hot take; i actually am quite fond of the hilton because of the full kitchen access.

Because La Bamba always gives such generous sized portions, we always have leftovers that we could never take back with us. Hubby was so happy while he was storing away his leftover containers in the fridge last night lol

but i love the modern airy spaces and double bathroom situation

D17 is in love with the (as all these teenagers say now), “aesthetics” of this place. And a double bathroom is a must these days with teenager girls! 

morning walks on the beach/pavement-like boardwalk are also a treat. 💚

That is on the agenda for today! Well…not morning, they are all sleeping, maybe afternoon walk 😉

21 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Because La Bamba always gives such generous sized portions, we always have leftovers that we could never take back with us. Hubby was so happy while he was storing away his leftover containers in the fridge last night lol

D17 is in love with the (as all these teenagers say now), “aesthetics” of this place. And a double bathroom is a must these days with teenager girls! 

That is on the agenda for today! Well…not morning, they are all sleeping, maybe afternoon walk 😉

It’s a little cold but walking down A1A about this time is really nice. Hopefully it warms up so your family can enjoy the beach. We are leaving the house at 10am to board Symphony and I hope to not be bringing a hoodie! 

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

We are leaving the house at 10am to board Symphony and I hope to not be bringing a hoodie!

I was thinking about about you boarding today as I was getting ready this morning. I am going to try to catch your sail away today. I can get a pretty good view here from the balcony. 

It is 55°F and cold! But it’s Saturday, we are in settled in Florida, we did not miss our flight, and we are feeling blessed! 

The family is slowly waking up. No real plans today. Going to walk along the A1A  and maybe the beach. Kids and Hubby want to swim in the pool later (it’s heated). Don’t think we are going to Sawgrass Mills. We would all rather just hang around in this area. 

IMG_9259.jpeg

IMG_9260.jpeg

IMG_9261.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I was thinking about about you boarding today as I was getting ready this morning. I am going to try to catch your sail away today. I can get a pretty good view here from the balcony. 

Have you ever been to the rocks on the point? You can enter through Harbour Inlet Dr (Just E of 17th Street Bridge) and walk though one of the condos to the beach. If you head South on the beach you can watch the ships exit from the rocks which is pretty great. 

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Have you ever been to the rocks on the point? You can enter through Harbour Inlet Dr (Just E of 17th Street Bridge) and walk though one of the condos to the beach. If you head South on the beach you can watch the ships exit from the rocks which is pretty great. 

No. We have never been. Yesterday, before dinner, I watched the Celebrity Reflection sail away from our balcony. If we catch SY today, I will take a pic. What time does SY sail away today?