diamonds go AGAIN!! (an oasis reprise) ~ 2.4.2024-2.11.2024 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Post dinner snack in the WJ?

I'll give you 95% credit... sometimes it's more than a snack, lol. Told ya I'm not a huge MDR fan and those portions aren't exactly large (which is totally fine, I can and do order multiples if something strikes me, but I don't mind my main dinner being on the smaller side).

BTW, didn't you order 3 entrees in CK on night on Icon? Watch who you're lol'ing about. 🤣

holy CRAP you guys. 

this weather is INSANE. 

we got drenched and nearly knocked down by a tidal wave sweeping across the pier. the winds were stronger than i’d ever felt them.

more to tell but i want to specifically take a moment and call out the bravery and safety of all the lifeguards lined up like sentries on the pier.

they are guarding to make sure no one falls down, slips, and is swept into the raging seawaters on the side.

IMG_8064.jpeg

IMG_8062.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpeg

IMG_8061.jpeg

Just now, asquared17 said:

we hope so!! we didn’t even get lunch. 

i imagine guest services is a HOT MESS right now so i will wait to see if there is any communication before i venture down.

Do you have that new AI customer service chat on the app?

6 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

doesn’t look like it 😔

It would probably crash even if you did. Hope you're making the best of the situation.

1 minute ago, TexanTwoStep said:

like 1-2am

My impression is @asquared17 has even less of a chance of being awake at 1-2am than I do. #previntage

the captain was on a little while ago and let us know this weather system is going to be… troublesome. he was calm but he said we will experience some motion tonight and tomorrow. 

i imagine a captain saying you “will experience some motion” is similar to a dentist saying you “will feel some pressure” just before they drill into your tooth for a cavity 😅😂😅😂😅

we are about to depart; he let us know that we would be providing freedom with shelter so that they could take off first. i’ve got a pics of that and she looks like she’s SIDEWAYS. (hard to tell from this photo but trust.)

we could see beneath the navy blue down to the red of her hull. (i think that is the nautical term?) 

never have i been so glad to be on a larger ship. 

(i hope i don’t regret saying that.)

IMG_8075.jpeg

34 minutes ago, TexanTwoStep said:

Ugh, sorry PDCC was ruined for you!  I always hit up guest services right before we go to bed if we need anything (like 1-2am, haha).  Line is usually empty and you don't have to deal with the Karens and Chads who expect RC to control the weather.

this is marvelous advice!!! 

i hope to be fast asleep by then 🤣 but agree with waiting for a less trafficked time. 

32 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

My impression is @asquared17 has even less of a chance of being awake at 1-2am than I do. #previntage

this is correct. 😂

21 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Ugh at that weather, I am glad everyone is safely back on board, but it sucks. Hopefully what happened in Cali won't happen around the Caribbean and Florida. 

…i’m afraid to ask what happened in cali. was that the voyager cruise? with all the flooding?

is now an appropriate time to mention that i am prone to motion sickness? 😅🙃

(y’all already know.)

thankfully i have showered, washed my hair and am clean from our impromptu saltwater swim, so i don’t need to worry about falling out of the space tube once we set sail. 

the sun keeps coming in and out here but the wind is vicious and the tide is high. the pier is nearly covered with water sweeping across. 

they truly made the right call with this, pulling us all back early. their weather and radar systems are better than whatever the heck we use on land. 

i’ve never experienced so much motion just sitting STILL before. we are still tied off and we’re rocking and moving A LOT. 

IMG_8077.jpeg

24 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we are about to depart; he let us know that we would be providing freedom with shelter so that they could take off first. i’ve got a pics of that and she looks like she’s SIDEWAYS. (hard to tell from this photo but trust.)

I love this imagery of Oasis taking care of her little sister ❤️

15 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i am starting to fear you may be correct… and that is alarming, given i’ve sailed on her the most. 😳

I have a different Oasis class ship to recommend....

She's newer, the hotels are cheaper where she sails, there may not be a Portside BBQ but there's an amazing Southern restaurant... and she's @Ampurp85's new favorite ship!

Oh, and if you want to sail with lots of tiny humans, you can meet me onboard and we can previntage! Champagne and WJ on me! 😁

1 hour ago, Cactus527 said:

Caught up. WOW I'm so glad you and everyone else are safe (albeit wet)!!! Here's hoping the motion sickness skips you and J today/tonight.

us too! we are skipping dinner and maybe just grabbing sorrentos tonight. i think  pizza is just about all i can handle. 

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I have a different Oasis class ship to recommend....

She's newer, the hotels are cheaper where she sails, there may not be a Portside BBQ but there's an amazing Southern restaurant... and she's @Ampurp85's new favorite ship!

Oh, and if you want to sail with lots of tiny humans, you can meet me onboard and we can previntage! Champagne and WJ on me! 😁

🤣 champagne! 

51 minutes ago, GregD said:

annnnnnnd here come the spice.......I tried sending you all the good vibes I possibly could. Hopefully this system moves out of the area quickly for you and its all fair seas and following winds for the rest.

yeeeeeeeah. could you have kept the spice???? we were doing so well without it. 🤪

49 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

Sailing in January and February appears to be a crapshoot of late. 

formerly among the milder times to sail and now… who knows. 

but now… let me backtrack. 

around 12:25pm, i ventured off to the air conditioned bathrooms (if you know, you know) at the beach club. initially when i got up, i had planned to just stay there and meet J for lunch — our reservation was at 12:45pm — but that would have been 20 mins and i, apparently, can’t tell time. 😂

on my walk back was when the loud announcement was made that they were recalling us all to the ship. it was island-wide. there was no missing it. 

due to weather and incoming high tide, everyone had to go back. 

but i would be DAMNED if i wasn’t getting my funnel cake!!!!!

so we left the beach club WITHOUT LUNCH and headed for the snack shack. the line wasn’t insane but it was a tiny bit slower than i expected; i think half the crowds were fleeing to the ships and the rest were determined to make the most of the remaining hour we had to get back. 

i got a shack crispy sando + fries and, of course, a funnel cake. 

IMG_8042.thumb.jpeg.c5416fada437e6c7df35abab6898d914.jpegIMG_8043.thumb.jpeg.1f533165a122990417965abf7dfc30fd.jpegIMG_8045.thumb.jpeg.64e23fd0c14bbfc38f70d4437e5fee8f.jpegIMG_8044.thumb.jpeg.fc3265f6b2bb9394ca9591d38beef57a.jpeg

i should state clearly that we had very temperamental weather from then on. five minutes in darkness, with rain, then another ten with full sun and wind. there is no understanding this. it’s bizarre (at best). 

we took a meandering path back so that we could get the obligatory family ship dock photo on the chill island bridge and then entered the fray aka the literal teeming seas at the pier with the waters coming up like something out of the little mermaid. 

i liked to do that move as a tiny small when i was in a pool… where the body of water was limited and controlled. 

alas.

when the waves came up and drenched us, there was nothing to do but laugh hysterically because it was truly a fine cap to the truncated day. 

we made it back on board, and they shuffled us toward the front entrance to curb some of the bottlenecking. we came up on 5, hit the walking track and started taking pictures and video. 

being on 5 in the full thrust of the winds was INSANE. at one point we both nearly went down. somehow we remained upright, and climbed the aft steps to the boardwalk on 6 for more photos and then the steps to 7, overlooking where we’d seen the aqua show last night. 

i also found the fake seagull. 😆

IMG_8058.thumb.jpeg.66e9187e7d5c392f43386d4eff112900.jpeg

freedom was pitching and swaying just as badly as we were, and the captain got on to explain the weather and that we’d be departing shortly. 

that was…. around 2pm. 

freedom left at 2:30 — we gave her shelter 😭🥰 — and we are still here. 

it’s 5:48pm. 

the weather has cycled through so much; darkness, winds, rain, bright sunlight, and the ship continues to rock and roll while we are docked. 

i don’t know what changed; but it seems like maybe it’s better for us to stay here right now than to be on the open seas with this weather system. 

i wish we could have a do over of PDCC but i am not sure who is here tomorrow. i need to check. 

in any case, i will leave you with this STUNNING double rainbow we saw. (told you this weather was extreme.)

IMG_8048.jpeg

IMG_8079.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8084.jpeg

IMG_8085.jpeg

IMG_8081.jpeg

IMG_8080.jpeg

Man am I sorry, our weather wasn't great in Jan and it was some rough seas, wind and rain but your luck on Oasis takes the cake......maybe she is trying to tell you something. 

They are making the funnel cakes smaller, and I like it. I waste less and top them with the soft serve better. 

UPDATE. 

the captain just got on and said the wind is so bad that they cannot get the ship lifted away from the pier using the thrusters. 😳

he said the wind is slowly changing and they think we will be able to depart in another hour or so, but he will let us know. 

i will say that traditionally we don’t feel much movement in an aft cabin, but in this instance, we are indeed feeling it. 😅

but also… if the wind is this bad now… WHY ARE WE PLANNING TO LEAVE. LETS JUST STAY. SERIOUSLY. 

26 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

They are making the funnel cakes smaller, and I like it.

Me too. I find them to be a little crispier now, not as doughy in the middle, and having lots of smaller snacks is kinda my M.O. while cruising anyway. A sandwich here, a taco there, a funnel cake here, etc. I told this story during my June blog...

Our cabana attendant told us it they switched the size so that it both prevented waste and they could make I think 6 at a time in each fryer to help reduce lines. When they had the large ones, the fryer could only handle 2 at a time.

welp.

i’ve committed fashion treason…

and went down to sorrentos in my pajamas and sweatshirt. 😱😱😱😱😱😱

but we got a fresh pie made to go and it was just what the doctor ordered. 

IMG_8094.thumb.jpeg.aa47d3f423bc24ef95830ad975dcc253.jpeg

now i am craving a fountain root beer something FIERCE but we don’t have freestyle cups and i don’t have it in me to go up to the jammer. 

i wish i could bribe a tiny small to let me borrow their cup 😂

12 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we got a fresh pie made to go

I keep repeating myself but Sorrento's has been crispier and better in person and looked that way in nearly every pic I've seen (across many ships) for a while now.

17 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

now i am craving a fountain root beer

Now I'm craving the adult root beer float from Mason Jar (with absolut vanilla and kahlua) to go with a pizza! 🙈

5 hours ago, asquared17 said:

this is marvelous advice!!! 

i hope to be fast asleep by then 🤣 but agree with waiting for a less trafficked time. 

this is correct. 😂

…i’m afraid to ask what happened in cali. was that the voyager cruise? with all the flooding?

is now an appropriate time to mention that i am prone to motion sickness? 😅🙃

(y’all already know.)

thankfully i have showered, washed my hair and am clean from our impromptu saltwater swim, so i don’t need to worry about falling out of the space tube once we set sail. 

the sun keeps coming in and out here but the wind is vicious and the tide is high. the pier is nearly covered with water sweeping across. 

they truly made the right call with this, pulling us all back early. their weather and radar systems are better than whatever the heck we use on land. 

i’ve never experienced so much motion just sitting STILL before. we are still tied off and we’re rocking and moving A LOT. 

IMG_8078.mov

IMG_8077.jpeg

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tail........

You might as well start building a dentist office out of coconuts now, coz you ain't never coming back. LOL.