Two Delightfully Unfrugal Idiots sail our White Whale (Oasis OP, 9/24 -10/1/23)

SweetPea

Is our White Whale of Moby Dick proportions? IDK .. are you counting our financial well-being? Who cares! YOLO!!

Who: SweetPea and Batman, two crazy mutual enablers who found ❤️ about 23 (24, 25?) years ago. Married for most of those. Don't ask me our anniversary. I once proudly told Batman my new ATM PIN, proclaiming, "Get it?!  It's our anniversary backwards!"

Spoiler: it wasn't. 

I've not heard the end of it since. 

What: Our White Whale. Why, you ask? We had 3,462.7 cruises in the Owner's Panoramic canceled during the Covid. Seriously. By March 578th, 2020, I'd had enough, just like the rest of the world. This was bound to happen sooner or later. I made sure of it. 

When: September 24-October 1, 2023. Too short and will be over too quick, but the ship is our destination so who cares?! (Our itinerary is mundane and boring. We'll only be getting off the ship for PDCC.)

Where: Oasis of the Seas (C'mon now. There are only 2 OPs in the entire fleet, so there's a very good chance you'd win that coin toss.)

Why: Why not?!! Besides, flying sucks and we can drive to the port! And by drive, i mean be driven. Because who drives on vacation? Is that even a thing?!

How: Selling one pickled middle-aged kidney on the dark web. Let's face it, there's a difference between a kidney from a 20-year old athlete and one from a 50-something whose kidney is going to be (a-hem) grape-flavored. Clearly what I'm trying to say is that you could probably book two Star Class rooms with the 20-year-old kidney. Our cost wasn't *that* bad, but should still leave you questioning whether you'd consider us sound financial advisors. 

Crown&Anchor Level: Brown. 

I briefly considered making a parody pin that said "Not Pinnacle" with the "not" in very, very small font. I think it'd have been an excellent conversation starter. 

Pre-cruise Diet: Poor. I planned to lose 30 pounds. I only have 33 to go. Forget that noise.

So here we go on our 3.5-year-in-the-making adventure. If you know us, I'm taking a very liberal definition of the term "adventure" here. As in, you shouldn't expect FlowRider reviews from us. That would only happen if they privacy-tented the entire wave pool and literally no one else could see us. I've seen this new TikTok thing all the cool kids are talking about, and going viral for all the wrong reasons would send me into a Brendan Fraser Whale-spin without the need of a fat suit. 

(Perhaps i should tell you about the time i managed to ATV my way into the middle of a sugar cane field in St. Kitts where the excursion leader pulled me aside and quietly asked if I'd consider a private lesson before allowing the group to continue. That was 20 years and 30 pounds ago and my grace and agility has not aged like the fine wine I enjoy so much. --- That was for the kids in the back who didn't get my grape- flavored kidney joke earlier.)

This is our first cruise post-shutdown. We wanted to feel like we were going on vacation, not checking in for a clinical procedure. So we sat out all mandates. We both found them too stressful and opted to wait until the craziness was well on its way to over before we even remotely considered cruising again. This is one of the reasons we're going to the poorhouse post-cruise. I booked this pretty late and didn't partake in opening day prices. However, i got worried this was Oasis's last season in NJ so i bit the bullet and made several payments Batman wouldn't notice so our final bill was more in line with what I thought he could stomach. I can't be the only benevolently devious spouse to do so. If you've done something like this yourself, blink twice.

(And, Mindy, if you're reading: You're a SAINT!)

For the record, i caught Batman in a good mood one night and asked him the max he'd pay for a week-long cruise in Star Class. Unsurprisingly, it was a *bit* less than the cost of this one. So this is just between us RC Blog family, right? Good thing he thinks this website is Royal.blog.Carribean.me.live.com/reports which he always forgets to find later .... 

And to any dudes reading, please remember: there is no such idiom as "Bros before blogs." That does not and will never exist.... if i can help it. 

So, as long as Batman never does find this blog ... Continue to follow along to learn the riveting answers to such burning questions as: how will Anthem Star Class compare to Oasis Star Class? Will we prefer O Class to Q Class in general? Is this Deck 17 we keep reading about an actual Nirvana? What else has the pandemic stolen from us in pre v post shutdown changes? Will we ever want to return to Norwegian Haven? And ultimately, will selling a functioning kidney be worth the experience?

Come with us! We'll find out together!

You kinda lost me at "UNFRGUAL" but I guess I'll check in from time to time. 😁

When bored and looking at random stuff I would never buy, I have seen those OP cabins and they look extremely cool. We tried to RoyalUp to the ghetto version on Indy last year (the regular panoramic rooms up on the pool deck that just have a lot of windows) and failed, lol.

P.S. Love the writing style. I might follow just for that.

37 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i’m already yelling about this 😆

also way to bury the lede here; what are we, like less than a week out?? 

I AM READY!!!!

There is a mathematical formula for everything in the S&B house. Start date of blog = length of cruise divided by pi .... 

Ok, that math doesn't check. But stay tuned for packing advice where the # of underpants to pack = 2XN+1, where N is the number of nights .....

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I think I have the title of my next semi-live blog if I do one...

TWO REASONABLY PLEASANT FRUGAL GENIUSES SAIL AN INTERIOR

I think we cruise together and do a joint blog with a Tale of Two Cities vibe... 

"it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness".... 😆

34 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

the way running out of underwear is one of my BIGGEST fears and i firmly ascribe to having WAY TOO MANY PAIRS WHILE ON ANY VACATION!!!!!!

I'm not even going to ask. For all I know my wife packs that way. I don't want to speak for all males but that's not something that remotely ever crossed my mind.

MANY years ago, when we still dressed up for formal night, I did manage to somehow leave my suit pants out of my suit bag. It was a black suit so I think we used the rent-a-tux onboard for just a pair of pants. 🤣

41 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

This blog is going to be quite interesting to follow. Just need to keep reading blogs for the next 2 months until my next cruise! 

6 months for me. 😭 Although I have a last minute cruise on hold for next month... waiting to see if my wife can clear her schedule. It's a long shot but I didn't get the automatic "sorry, I can't" so there's that. 🤞

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

6 months for me. 😭 Although I have a last minute cruise on hold for next month... waiting to see if my wife can clear her schedule. It's a long shot but I didn't get the automatic "sorry, I can't" so there's that. 🤞

If I lived close to a port like you I nigh end up divorced. I can pretty much work remotely and go whenever but my wife can’t. In your scenario I would probably tell my wife “well if you can’t get off work I will see you when I get back”. Probably wouldn’t go over to well 

29 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

If I lived close to a port like you I nigh end up divorced. I can pretty much work remotely and go whenever but my wife can’t. In your scenario I would probably tell my wife “well if you can’t get off work I will see you when I get back”. Probably wouldn’t go over to well 

It wouldn't go over well for me either (during certain times of the year I'm in the same boat). I wish I could play the "we're only 7 points from D+" card and take a solo 4-nighter... but it's really my wife who's 7 points away. I married into a chunk of points b/c she sailed as a kid and I didn't... so that would do nothing for us status-wise.

I only have a shot next month b/c I found a decent price on a weird WED-MON 5-nighter and there's randomly no school that Friday (she's a teacher) so she'd really only have to take two days off and then go right to work from the port Monday morning. We did something similar last October. Parent-teacher conferences and some other school nonsense might get in the way though so that's what I'm waiting on. She has until the weekend to figure it out.

Do you want to talk about the pre-cruise Star Class Questionnaire?

No?

Good, because we failed to complete it this time.

We didn't mean to. It sorta just happened that way.

We kept planning a date night to complete it together, but never got around to it. If you read my last blog (8.7 years ago), you know exactly WHY a joint effort was necessary this time. 

To be fair, of those 1426.89 cruises we had canceled during the 'rona, we did get to 'survey time' for one of the earlier canceled cruises.  My solo efforts wouldn't exactly earn me the Nobel Prize in Literature either.

Screenshot_20230914_001115_Gallery.thumb.jpg.95bf08f2a08c61a3d0740f5ab5f68005.jpg

Screenshot_20230914_000930_Gallery.thumb.jpg.67e9880f4b8f7326f2cdd22c862ce6ff.jpg

Screenshot_20230914_000713_Gallery.thumb.jpg.720f82e44158e4c2740d43fd90de7515.jpg

Screenshot_20230914_000657_Gallery.thumb.jpg.339c4f0ab86ba4a0ad4daac5a70ee644.jpgHowever, the primary reason to complete a survey (IMHO) is to request a particular Genie. After talking to our TA for about an hour about which Genie we should request, we came to the conclusion that any Oasis Genie would be fine and we'd leave it to chance. To be clear, the "we" here is me and my TA.

Batman's sole input, you ask? "Are there any fat Genies? I think I'd be more comfortable with a fat Genie."

You'd sooner find yourself in the middle of a tango lesson with a chupacabra, but Batman gonna Batman.....

Imagine Batman's utter horror when we got a lovely welcome letter from Leticia and did a quick search in the SC Cruisers FB group. Leticia is a tiny little peanut of a pretty thing.  ("She's going to think we'll eat her for a pre-dinner snack.")

We both meant to be thin before this cruise but ...

Screenshot_20230920_024235_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f9c204ee5812ae591b34976d80b69e7c.jpg

As we say in the S/B house: our stomachs are "flat." The "L" is just silent....

We've had a terrible time losing lockdown weight. Still. It's just coming at a bad age.

Shut up. 

You're right. No need to rub it in. 

It is what it is and the only thing we can do now is make the best of it and make a more concerted effort for next cruise. Bygones.

Bottom line, Leticia seems lovely. It appears her Genie duties follow the OP suite. We learned that Derick would also be on the cruise, and we've had him as our Genie before as well. I'm thrilled, because ... follow my logic here ... we now officially have 2 Genies.

Because Derick will remember us and is undoubtedly also anxiously awaiting our reunion. Because we're *that* memorable. Really.

But still, this makes sense, right? It totally does. In my head. 

Oh, you were looking for this post to be helpful?

Right, got it.

Important dates:

Cruise start date: Sept 24

Pre-cruise questionnaire: July 25 

First comm from Sweet Leticia: Aug 10

Dining/Activities finalized: Aug 21

On a meaningful scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being most meaningful, hopefully the above puts me at a Solid 3.

You're welcome. 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm totally stealing this.  I'll give you credit when required....

😉

No need! I'm fairly sure i saw that outside on a billboard in front of a BBQ place in TX when i used to have to travel for work 25 years ago.  Of course it could also have been an ambien-induced dream. We'll never know for sure. 

If you recall, i did forewarn you that we're not adventurous. Feel free to use this as a sleep aid 😴 

Screenshot_20230920_133929_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.1fdea01026444a905cc07a7baf11e78c.jpg

I may ask for a bridge tour, because that is my wheelhouse. I have some questions about how telemetry issues are handled. 

Conspicuously missing: Cats. Batman can thank me later. 

Also, be advised not all Genie requests are granted. I was bummed. I felt it perfectly reasonable to commandeer a Star Loft for like 20 min to set up a private zipline experience for the 2 of us. Hmmph.

Screenshot_20230920_134802_Freespoke.jpg.a8f1db89e4d71459ec795fb2930acba3.jpg

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

No dinner on night 4?  I stuff myself on CocoCay but I eventually get hungry for dinner.

Also, since suites are above my pay grade (yes, I saw you laugh at me in that other thread), what exactly would one request or plan in Star Class if they were more adventurous?

Night 4 doesn't mean we're not eating. That is some crazy talk right there. It just means it's a game day decision with no commitments. We do this whenever we have an excursion that involves day drinking. Playmakers, room service... your guess will be as good as mine!

Hey, that 😃 came from a place of ❤️ since we've been bantering about here 😆, but I've seen lots of stuff requested. I'm sure more folks will chime in, but celebrations are arranged, special cakes, I'm pretty sure most activities can be arranged through your Genie, like Rock Climbing ... i say that with no confidence whatsoever, because, well, no, just no right there for this chick(en). 😉 But on Anthem, the Genie arranged bumper cars, iFly, NorthStar, Escape room, FlowRider, etc.... if we wanted. Now the FlowRider only has special times for Star Class.  Since i bet i will barely get Batman out of our stateroom, we're not exactly going to be living on the edge here. 😁