Training for Allure: 10/15/23-10/22/23

Ampurp85

Safe travels! 

And, oh, just tell mom you're passing the torch and she can plan the next one. 😄

Actually, when she asks about the next trip, just "remind" her that she volunteered to plan it, then act indignant when she denies it. I think Gaslighting might be forgivable in this case.  🤔 🤣🤣

Well I made it to the station, much worse for wear than I thought 🙃 😅

Unfortunately bff's mom was weak and had a spill. She is okay and didn't break anything but she cancelled. I've never dealt with a no-show so that's going to be a new experience. 

We checked bags, omg so many bags for 7 people. The blind gent can barely see, like he only recognized me because of all the purple. My mother is already having mood swings.

Also the new vintage is a lot. She ranks on carnival and she brought a speaker to play music 😵🤯 I think it is so uncouth to play music for others to hear in public spaces......plus I'm a grunge girl 😈🤟

20231013_113343.jpg

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

She is okay and didn't break anything but she cancelled. I've never dealt with a no-show so that's going to be a new experience. 

is it bad that in my head i was humming queen? “another one bites the dust” 😅🫠😞

She ranks on carnival and she brought a speaker to play music 😵🤯 I think it is so uncouth to play music for others to hear in public spaces

oh boy. this is going to be one to watch. i can feel it. 

GODSPEED. 

ps: you look great 🤩 no one would ever know you didn’t sleep!!

pss: is that an old school batman/joker tee shirt?! love!!

9 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

is it bad that in my head i was humming queen? “another one bites the dust”

I think you know that among our current readership base .... NO! Not at all!! 🤣🤣

I'm sorry BFF's mom had a spill. I'm trying to remember whose room she is sharing, because that's what's important here: one less butt on a toilet. I do hope she recovers soon (and that she has insurance)!

@Ampurp85, i can't wait to hear what kind of music the new vintage prefers! BTW, didn't Carnival ban speakers at one point?! 

Oh and Grunge to me is the music i listened to in college: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Silverchair. What are you kids calling grunge these days?

@SweetPea my grunge is your grunge but soundgarden and Alice in chains are my jam.

Also bff mom might fly in tomorrow if she feels better😒😏

Ugh we are waiting and the vintages are loud. They telling all our business so strangers are asking me about the weave I'm going to add in his hair at the hotel. Also the blind gentleman just ate 4.....FOUR sandwiches from Chick-fil-A.

Alicia, you are officially a saint.  I can’t believe this story is actually true….the movie will be advertised ‘Based on a true story’ and will be great but who’s going to play your part ?  I’m sorry to hear bff mom took a dive.  I hope she’s ok (seriously).   What I can’t believe is that bff is still going on the cruise without her !  My mother would have never forgiven me if I dumped her after a hospital stay and a fall.  Of course, she would have been declaring, “I’ll be fine…go on without me” (as she was dragging her ass up off the floor)…but I know better than that !  Lol. I’d have been out of the will if I’d of gone without her.

I have my popcorn and I’m anxiously awaiting episode #2.

Also an Alice In Chains fan.

Chris Cornell was the only celebrity death that broke me a little. I was sad for almost a month. I was lucky enough to meet him when he was fronting Audioslave and he was so kind and down to earth.

But we are on the train and there is a guy prophetizing(made up word) up and down the aisle........the vintages are not happy 🙄 😒

It's dark in here but that's my brother, bff and me.

20231013_133945.jpg

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

Oh and Grunge to me is the music i listened to in college: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, Silverchair. What are you kids calling grunge these days?

That was a great question, lol. I'm not into music hardly at all these days and was thinking "there's current grunge???"

@WAAAYTOOO I would watch the movie and think this can't be true 🤣😂😂😂. Unfortunately it is and it continues to be a good mess.

@SweetPea she has booked her flight for the morning and we will get her an Uber from the airport to the hotel.

So new vintage has the gift of gab. She talked the staff into letting all of us board through the assistant lounge. Its for seniors and those infirmed. We sat there and enjoyed our hot meal which was different for everyone and from Chick-fil-A, Robinsons ribs, and Sbarro pizza. There was also more food brought and stored in hot/cold bags. People brought tons of junk snacks and no real food or fruit. But back to the lounge, it was clean and sectioned in a way that made it feel like you weren't at a crowded station.

We boarded and all the vintages sat separately in window seats even though I mentioned more people would get on. As soon as that happened they all were brand new. The new vintage proceeded to flirt with all the train personnel,  it was so funny. The blind gentleman could hear and proclaimed loudly that all the women with him are off limits and " if you trying to holler" you need his approval 😉 😜 😀.  The new vintage told him to stop messing up her game. Thankfully only a few people were on because she gets a ton of attention. I was also informed that I need to plan an Alaskan cruise on Norwegian for the group. I just walked away.

I was also informed that I need to plan an Alaskan cruise on Norwegian for the group. I just walked away.

Now you're speaking my language. If you go, Batman and i are going. Just remember, you do not know him, you've never seen his pics, and you cannot refer to him as Batman. Easy, right?!

We boarded and all the vintages sat separately in window seats even though I mentioned more people would get on. As soon as that happened they all were brand new

oh boy 😅😂😂😂

The new vintage proceeded to flirt with all the train personnel,  it was so funny. The blind gentleman could hear and proclaimed loudly that all the women with him are off limits and " if you trying to holler" you need his approval 😉😜😀.  The new vintage told him to stop messing up her game.

this is going to be an ongoing theme, i already know 😂

i am glad the lounge was clean and nice. makes the transpo issue a little easier.  

also, this is me ignoring the alaskan cruise entirely. 

The journey is half done and I am seriously considering flying back.

It is 3am and we just had a break in Little Rock. Cell service has been very spotty and sleep has been elusive. My brother, bff, and I can't get comfortable but all the vintages are asleep.  Before this, around 8ish, the new vintage was doing her walk to keep loose and singing Teddy Pendergrass. She lucked out because the people in the cart barely spoke English, so it didn't bother them. Her energy is at 1000 and I'm going to need her to bring in to at least 100🤣😅😂.

The blind gentleman wished he got a sleeper car because he didn't know the train ride was 23hrs 😑🙄😬. They all keep saying they didn't know this or that as if I didn't not only tell them in person but put it in an email.

BFF's mom has scheduled her flight and she gets in at 6. If she comes I hope she is healthy enough.

For the fifty-eleventh time I am going to try to sleep.

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I can’t believe this story is actually true….the movie will be advertised ‘Based on a true story’ and will be great but who’s going to play your part ?

I'll buy a ticket.  I think Regina King would make a good @Ampurp85.  But maybe that's because I watched Jerry Maguire last weekend and she's on my mind.

@Ampurp85
I honestly don’t know what to say anymore. Glad you have your little online support system here at least.

I think I posted days ago that I can’t wait to see a post from aboard the ship saying you’re actually having a  good time. That X 1000 at this point.

Hope you got/get some sleep.

Day 1

I sail tomorrow but the train ride was hell. The crazy dude was up all night after shoveling a Sam's club box of pop tarts in throat in only 15min. I couldn't not watch it was insane. He then pulled out a wooden stick and practiced putting " on the whole armor of god. " Only my BFF and I was awake for this.

We ended up late because of track work etc.. but our bus needs to replace a tire so we are waiting on it. There is a family of twelve, with 4 small children who are doing the most, riding the bus and going on Allure. They have an insane amount of luggage, that the children keep knocking over.

So the gag is that BFF's mother had foresight, she knew that train ride would be a mess. So she planned to fly anyway. The only flight on short notice has a layover but she get into IAH at 6:38.

45 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The crazy dude was up all night after shoveling a Sam's club box of pop tarts in throat in only 15min.

Point of clarification:

Is the crazy dude the blind gent? If so, a full box of Pop Tarts after eating 4 Chick-fil-A sandwiches is impressive. 

If crazy dude is not blind gent, did you adopt another vintage into your menagerie?

Whoever crazy dude is, i sorta don't blame him. It sounds like you could've used the full armor of God to make it through the 23 hour train ride!

Vacation is no fun when you're exhausted 😴😪 so i hope you can get plenty of rest before you board!

Crazy dude was not with us. The blind gentleman ate a foot long Jersey Mike sub and bag of family size lays. Not only can he put away food. He can fall asleep anywhere.

The bus was an hour late so we are now 90min behind. I just want a bed and shower 😪😔.

But the giant coach bus is clean and relatively relaxing minus the screaming and coughing children. We all have separate seats, since all it does is drop off passengers.

The will they/won't they of bffs mom has taken another turn. She booked her flight last night and woke up with chest pains, so she is back at the hospital getting tested. Since she was in the 24hr window, she canceled it. I have known she wasn't coming since I found out she had been sick. It just took her longer to figure out.

The new vintage is a lot. I told them I wasn't planning nothing and she got up this morning and asked if she could suggest that we do carnival next year🙄🤯😳☠️.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Not only can he put away food. He can fall asleep anywhere.

this is going to make him a fantastic dining companion in the MDR, i just feel it 😂

3 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have known she wasn't coming since I found out she had been sick. It just took her longer to figure out.

you are farrrrr more patient than i am, my friend. this is insane to me. 

4 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I told them I wasn't planning nothing and she got up this morning and asked if she could suggest that we do carnival next year

hey - let her suggest all she wants!!!! she can be in charge and you can just…. feign extreme disinterest when the time comes 😂

Ok listen, my SIL (yes, the one who dubbed me SweetPea) is an upgrade fairy for Carnival and even SHE won't sail them! So I'm with @asquared17, let her plan it and then have other plans that week. 

Thanks for the clarification re: blind gent v. Crazy dude. Now that I'm saying it like that, I'm picturing Don King with them in a boxing ring. Who do you think would win??

Let us know when you get to the hotel so we know you've (finally) arrived safely, and then get some 😴😴😴!

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

He then pulled out a wooden stick and practiced putting " on the whole armor of god. "

I am trying to picture this...got nothing lol

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

if she could suggest that we do carnival next year🙄🤯😳☠️

You don't need to do Carnival. The carnival is already with you lmao!

All this pre cruise limelight and can only imagine what's to come once onboard.

All can say you have WAY more patience to deal with the vintages plus add the train with bus just to get to ship....

I might have just either jumped off the train or either drunk myself to Zzzz and this is just day 1...  

Have you booked ✈️ back yet or gonna rough the train for return home?

Okay updates.

Bus ride was waaaaay better than train. We didn't pick anyone up. We made it at the expected time. Getting to the hotel and checked in was an ordeal. More on that later.Hotel is super basic and we had a time. I have a ton of updates but I am starving and we just here.

I took a shower and put on my shortest shorts because my legs need freedom. I am being hounded about plans, when I just wanted to get clean. They want to do dinner.

20231014_161848.jpg

20231014_161842.jpg

20231014_161811.jpg

20231014_134248.jpg

20231014_134231.jpg

I'm a huge Pearl Jam guy,and was a DJ at a "modern rock" radio station in Philly in the late 90s, so I'm here to agree that there is only one Era of grunge, and that was it! 

Also glad you finally got to relax and shower. Really hoping once you board you'll have a little alone time here and there, but I feel like the vintages aren't gonna allow that. 

Okay let's backtrack a little.

Crazy guy went into the handicap bathroom and stayed there most of the ride. It was off-putting because he would randomly open the door and scream. But to me that's not the craziest thing. The family of twelve got on at two stops because one of the sisters forgot her luggage and one child. The children were in the aisle all night playing with each other on that dirty train floor. It was them on our bus ride and another family sailing. That family had a heavy smoker, she said she plans to hunker down on the smoking deck.  The one lady almost got left because she kept getting off on all the stops and smoking.

Bus driver was sad. He said that the bus broke down on his way home and he had been at the mechanic for a while, we left almost 90min late. But instead of 6 stops, he had only two and we made it to Galveston at our scheduled time. The bus stop is actually walking distance from the port......not our terminal though🤣.

We got two Lyfts, it was $40 total with the tip. We chose XL for 6 people each way because we had 20bags in total. Yes 20!!!!! I took 11 in my Lyft because we were only 3 people but the Lyft with 4 people was a mess, and the driver was mean. He kept telling them they packed too much but he put the bags in standing up, so he had a hard time. I had to print more luggage tags because I had only printed two for each person.

We experienced a lot of weirdness checking in. First this car decided to block the entrance. It was full of vintages, waiting for hotel staff to get their bags. After 9min my brother helped them, and we were able to park in front and get our stuff. Then this lady did a drive by. She screams "you people don't want to stay at the hotel." She didn't say it to anyone but us and my bff assumed she was racist. The check-in line was long and by the time we got our rooms she came back and was like the hotel don't like classy folks and walked away. It was awkward.

To be continued.