Luggage Question

1 minute ago, Cactus527 said:

We've always used zip ties instead of locks. Deters people from opening, readily apparent when it has been opened, and TSA/security can easily access it.

That is very cleaver! Unless you have boys that constantly are pulling out and putting in stuff 🙂 But no I never thought of that !

Lock, lock, lock. If TSA accesses your luggage they place a notice that they were in it, at least they have with ours. If your luggage is placed in "time out" on the ship, Royal will not open it but will have you come and open it in their presence. I have also used zip ties on non-locking luggage such as my dive bag when I am cruising locally so I can carry a smaller suitcase. I just make sure I have spares for when we disembark.

5 hours ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

That is very cleaver! Unless you have boys that constantly are pulling out and putting in stuff 🙂 But no I never thought of that !

We are constantly reusing zip ties. If you only put it on the very edge of where the teeth lock, and then cut the appropriate side, you can constantly reuse them until they are down to their nubbin size. 😉

OK, a major con story.

We bought TSA combination locks. Tried them out at home, no problem. Stayed at an airport hotel the night before our flight to Orlando. 4am we wake up and need fresh clothes to put on after we wash to get to airport for our 7am flight. The combination lock would not work. We set the combination. Worked fine at home. No key was given with the locks. We knew TSA would have a key. Had to put on yesterday's dirty clothes, no time to wash after spending an hour on the lock, and didn't want to break zipper before checking the bag at airport. Get to the airport late, dirty, no shower, yesterday's clothes. Explained to TSA and they used a key to finally get our bag open. Tossed locks and vowed never to lock luggage again. Not worth the trouble. 

Yes, I use TSA combination locks. Never had a problem with them.
Only once my bag was sent to ‘time out’ and I had to go down to security to get it. Apparently there was a sticker on the bag that said ‘ Iron’.  
Port security stuck it on when it went through their scanner.  
When I got to security on deck 3, they scanned the bag, did not find anything on the scan, told me it was fine and gave me the bag. When I asked if they wanted me to open it, they said not necessary. I asked why they didn’t just do that and send the bag on it’s way. Apparently I had to be there in case they needed it opened.
Strange policy.

20 hours ago, CruiseMsclDad said:

Do you guys lock your checked luggage? I mean with TSA approved locks. On other boards it seems there was a lot of negativity about locking your luggage? Just asking because I pack a ton, so just curious about the pros and cons?

Thanks, Mitch.

I don't lock my luggage but you're going to have to figure out how to smuggle those guns attached to your shoulders on board! 😄

On 8/17/2023 at 1:41 PM, CruiseMsclDad said:

Do you guys lock your checked luggage? I mean with TSA approved locks. On other boards it seems there was a lot of negativity about locking your luggage? Just asking because I pack a ton, so just curious about the pros and cons?

Thanks, Mitch.

The greater threat is the loss of the suitcase, hence some type of travel insurance.  Also, we walk off at disembarkation now.

11 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

The greater threat is the loss of the suitcase, hence some type of travel insurance.  Also, we walk off at disembarkation now.

Yes! That is a whole other topic in itself. We always walk off with all our luggage. Our rule is that we don't pack more than we can carry. We have even surprised a few Genies in the past when we said we would walk with all our luggage in hand. Especially after I heard about @WAAAYTOOO's experience a few years back, I will never put my luggage out the night before again.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:24 PM, CruiseMsclDad said:

Aww these puny things ? 😄😄  😄

gussss copy.jpg

Great job man!  I was a competitive powerlifter over the past few years before a serious injury.  Bodybuilders are built different and I have all the respect for yall haha.  

FYI you're gonna have to go sideways in some of the doors to get thru them on the ship 😄

48 minutes ago, TexanTwoStep said:

Great job man!  I was a competitive powerlifter over the past few years before a serious injury.  Bodybuilders are built different and I have all the respect for yall haha.  

FYI you're gonna have to go sideways in some of the doors to get thru them on the ship 😄

Much appreciated! Sorry about the injury, they absolutely suck. It is always the airline seats that I have issues with, my son is a bodybuilder as well, as long as no one is in the middle seat we are fine, but it is awkward to fly with out arms tucked in and kinda scrunched up. On the other head we are both awesome at helping people throw their luggage in the over head bins 🙂 Onboard yes the doorways! OMG and the showers, can never close the door so water gets everywhere! No complaints though, not intending to shrink anytime soon!

Mitch