Leo Messi on HOTS

2 hours ago, octaviocloss said:

I've seen several footages of Leo Messi on HOTS, did he actually sail for a full itinerary? 

I can't imagine the hottest name in the sports world right now taking a three night Bahamas cruise on a mid-tier cruise line. If it truly was out to sea (versus some kind of...digital enhancement), probably just flew him out and back really quick.

5 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

Who's that? 🙂

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Who+the+heck+is+Leo+Messi%3F

(I'm just givin' you a hard time) 

15 hours ago, Gilley said:

I think he was e route to philly.

Yes he help Miami beat Philly, he is for sure a game changer for Inter Miami CF.  I'm still surprised he left Argentina to play soccer (futbol) here in America instead of going to Europe.

However I'm not surprised to see Royal jump on the Lionel Messi train, I think this is probably the biggest thing to happen in US Soccer since David Beckham came over and played for the LA Galaxy.  

41 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

I'm still surprised he left Argentina to play soccer (futbol) here in America instead of going to Europe.

He never played in Argentina; the professional league there is not a top league. He played for Barcelona (in Spain obviously) for like 17 years after going through their academy as a teenager, then played a couple seasons in France before going to Miami.

It's mostly about money and quality of life for him at this point as he's on the tail end of his career (although obviously still very good). He could have gone to Saudi Arabia for hundreds of millions of dollars but chose MLS because they (and Apple) gave him a cut of all new MLS TV subscriptions (Apple TV+ just began a 10 year MLS TV contract worldwide). Also, presumably, he decided he would rather live in Miami than the Middle East. Two of his former Barca teammates joined him there and also play for Miami now.

My 10 year old daughter's two favorite things in life currently are Royal Caribbean and Lionel Messi. We were on Anthem the day of the men's World Cup final in December...she was in heaven watching the conclusion of the match on the big screen in the Music Hall. 

I thought she was going to explode when she saw that clip of him onboard HOTS 🤣

FB_IMG_1691335965142.jpg

On 8/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, OCSC Mike said:

It's bad enough I can't open Apple TV+'s MLS page or just about anything related to MLS without being inundated with nothing but Messi... now he's invading my cruise forums?

🤬

Yeah...we're a little bitter about him here in Philly,too...

On 8/17/2023 at 1:58 PM, OCSC Mike said:

It's mostly about money and quality of life for him at this point as he's on the tail end of his career (although obviously still very good). He could have gone to Saudi Arabia for hundreds of millions of dollars but chose MLS because they (and Apple) gave him a cut of all new MLS TV subscriptions (Apple TV+ just began a 10 year MLS TV contract worldwide). 

Not just apple also gets a cut of Adidas profits, Miami's and apparently has the option to buy into Miami on Retirement.

Messi's contract is basically the same as Golden Balls when he left Real Madrid to sign for LA Galaxy.

On 8/17/2023 at 2:29 PM, Rakaia said:

My 10 year old daughter's two favorite things in life currently are Royal Caribbean and Lionel Messi. We were on Anthem the day of the men's World Cup final in December...she was in heaven watching the conclusion of the match on the big screen in the Music Hall. 

I thought she was going to explode when she saw that clip of him onboard HOTS 🤣

FB_IMG_1691335965142.jpg

Where to BUY one of those shirts?1?!?!?!?

5 hours ago, MarcBerger said:

Where to BUY one of those shirts?1?!?!?!?

Dont think you can as its not listed on Miami website merchandise page.

You could always get one made yourself, almost every city and town in the world has places to get knock off gear made up or even sites on the Internet.

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Dont think you can as its not listed on Miami website merchandise page.

You could always get one made yourself, almost every city and town in the world has places to get knock off gear made up or even sites on the Internet.

I buy most of my t-shirts from the guys outside the stadiums, half priced knock off? I'm in! 

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

I buy most of my t-shirts from the guys outside the stadiums, half priced knock off? I'm in! 

The price they charge nowadays for strips for any sport is shocking TBH ! So i can fully understand why people look at alternatives. I would also but places near me charge by the m2 so i would need to remortgage my house just to get a vest top 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

I miss the guys in the parking lot of the Spectrum and the Vet.

No, I'm not THAT old, but left Philly after college in 2000 so it's been a while.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I miss the guys in the parking lot of the Spectrum and the Vet.

No, I'm not THAT old, but left Philly after college in 2000 so it's been a while.

I AM that old... I worked at the Spectrum for a few years (as a mascot, security, ticket sales... I did it all!) , right up until a year or so after the Center was built.  And the only Union shirt I own was bought from a guy outside the stadium in Chester a few months ago, lol

Just now, ScottD said:

I AM that old... I worked at the Spectrum for a few years (as a mascot, security, ticket sales... I did it all!) , right up until a year or so after the Center was built.  And the only Union shirt I own was bought from a guy outside the stadium in Chester a few months ago, lol

That's great! Wanna mail me a cheesesteak or 10? I found a food truck down here run by a guy who went to Temple... his were awful. Found a pizza/hoagie place that actually ordered Amoroso rolls... but the meat was gross. My wife taught a child whose family was from Philly and became friendly with the mom. Her husband makes his own using homemade rolls from another friend... by far the best I've found here but not like I can just go grab one, lol.

When Wawa first started opening in central Florida years ago, we went to a grand opening by us... wall to wall Philly jerseys. When we went inside and saw they now sell all types of random stuff like smoothies and burgers and whatnot it was very strange. The prepackaged soft pretzels down here aren't very good either but the hoagies are good (by Florida standards).

Orlando City is the only non-Philly team I support b/c the Union weren't really a thing when I left and obviously OC joined after I had been here for 15 years.

57 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That's great! Wanna mail me a cheesesteak or 10? I found a food truck down here run by a guy who went to Temple... his were awful. Found a pizza/hoagie place that actually ordered Amoroso rolls... but the meat was gross. My wife taught a child whose family was from Philly and became friendly with the mom. Her husband makes his own using homemade rolls from another friend... by far the best I've found here but not like I can just go grab one, lol.

When Wawa first started opening in central Florida years ago, we went to a grand opening by us... wall to wall Philly jerseys. When we went inside and saw they now sell all types of random stuff like smoothies and burgers and whatnot it was very strange. The prepackaged soft pretzels down here aren't very good either but the hoagies are good (by Florida standards).

Orlando City is the only non-Philly team I support b/c the Union weren't really a thing when I left and obviously OC joined after I had been here for 15 years.

It's funny because I live DIRECTLY across the street from Pats steaks (and Genos on the other side) Definitely not the best, but in my drinking days it was a nice stumble from the bar, to Pats to my house all in a 2 block radius, lol.  

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

It's funny because I live DIRECTLY across the street from Pats steaks (and Genos on the other side) Definitely not the best, but in my drinking days it was a nice stumble from the bar, to Pats to my house all in a 2 block radius, lol.  

I was going to try Pats back in March, however after walking from the station to the Rocky Statue then down to The Liberty Bell my missus decided enough walking had been done 😆 

Did have a Philly Cheesecake in Con Murphy's but can't imagine it would be of the same standard as Pats or Genos. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

The Icon of the Seas hype train has left the station. I think this is one of many moves they'll make to market that ship as much as possible leading up to her launch.

Screw Inter Ft. Lauderdale! Their vacation sponsor is RC and our stadium is named after a vacation company I and many others had never even heard of until they bought the naming rights, lol.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Screw Inter Ft. Lauderdale! Their vacation sponsor is RC and our stadium is named after a vacation company I and many others had never even heard of until they bought the naming rights, lol.

Just had to google the Orlando city stadium name, then google the actual name. Never heard of it- but then again I had to figure out how to say, then had to google the Miami stadium name, as well. 

1 minute ago, ScottD said:

Just had to google the Orlando city stadium name, then google the actual name. Never heard of it- but then again I had to figure out how to say, then had to google the Miami stadium name, as well. 

Yeah, we all had to google it too. And fair point about Ft. Lauderdale's stadium (more like a field with bleachers). Their jersey sponsor is also some unpronounceable bitcoin exchange or something.

Can you tell we OC fans don't like Miami? It long predates Messi but the circus he's brought just made it worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...