Europe 2024? You'll need a visa for that...

16 hours ago, bobroo said:

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/what-etias_en

Currently priced at only 7 Euros for three years, but this is how a visa extortion thing starts. 

It's not a visa, it's an electronic travel authorisation, exactly like the ESTA that the US has been operating for years, as @Ray pointed out.

Also, the US charges $21 for an ESTA and it's only valid for two years, so you're getting a bargain.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:24 PM, bobroo said:

Currently priced at only 7 Euros for three years, but this is how a visa extortion thing starts. 

Excuse me?

Calling this an extortion is kind a bummer, as we europeans had to pay for several years your ESTA fees, and even more since the raise last year!

So please, be fair.

2 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

Does this include if your cruise ship visits a port in one of these countries?

If you are an American and you are traveling to the European Union starting in 2024 regardless of your mode of transportation to the European Union you will need to have a ESTA. 

2 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

If you are an American and you are traveling to the European Union starting in 2024 regardless of your mode of transportation to the European Union you will need to have a ESTA. 

Not just American! This will apply to any country thats not in the EU or their approved list, so even UK residents will need to apply for this.

On 7/26/2023 at 5:32 PM, Bingee said:

and crucially for all those who voted for Brexit, Brits will have to pay £6 each visa waiver from 2024.
Thanks guys!

Things could definitely have been handled better but it is what it is now! just got to get on with it and wear coats with very deep pockets to smuggle back more than the 1 Ltr of alcohol allowed lol 

On 7/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, FionaMG said:

It's not a visa, it's an electronic travel authorisation, exactly like the ESTA that the US has been operating for years, as @Ray pointed out.

Also, the US charges $21 for an ESTA and it's only valid for two years, so you're getting a bargain.

Sadly we are so slow with regards to new politics over here in Europe. I hope the travel authorization also asks for facebook usernames and other useful stuff like that.

Oh and one day we will also get really long queues at the security at airports and if Europe is really brave we might even ask passengers to take of the shoes at the airport security. And maybe one day (probably not during our life time) we might even introduce an organization like the TSA who could randomly confiscate phones or laptops of arriving passengers.

31 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

Oh and one day we will also get really long queues at the security at airports and if Europe is really brave we might even ask passengers to take of the shoes at the airport security. 

The above has been around in Europe for years! My wife always has to ask if the socks i have on have any holes in them as she doesn't want to be embarrassed at customs when i take my shoes off 🤣

1 hour ago, Ray said:

The above has been around in Europe for years! My wife always has to ask if the socks i have on have any holes in them as she doesn't want to be embarrassed at customs when i take my shoes off 🤣

Ok, I have never had to take me shoes of at any European airport in the 12 countries I have flown from (just had to count in my head) but I think 12 is correct. Just asked my wife and she confirms it she had never taken of here shoes at European airports.

Maybe it depends on the shoes over here.

23 minutes ago, ckruetze said:

Ok, I have never had to take me shoes of at any European airport in the 12 countries I have flown from (just had to count in my head) but I think 12 is correct. Just asked my wife and she confirms it she had never taken of here shoes at European airports.

Had to do it in Aberdeen, London Heathrow both before and after Brexit on every flight until this year, also Copenhagen, Budapest and Milan over the years.

Back in March on way to NYC i was able to go through customs wearing my trainers ( sneekers) which is all i ever wear without having to take them off for the first time however others wearing shoes with bigger soles or boots had to remove their footwear.

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

Saw it at Bristol too, less than a fortnight ago. And they had one of those scanner things you get at US airports too. I didn't have to do either; I guess they didn’t think a 5'0" 60-something little old lady in flats was worth bothering about. Curiously enough, exactly the same happened (or didn’t, depending on your perspective) at Newark earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Pure politics, US started this for EU tourists so EU responded for American tourists. This news story is years old, just finally going into effect. Thankfully I can travel both ways and not pay for any of it. 😁

Actually the US implemented this in 2008 as part of the recommendations of the 9/11 commission Act and it's not just aimed at EU tourists, the majority of the world must apply for an Esta. The same applies to the EU version which is not as you state aimed at US tourists but most of the world including the UK. 

Please don't call it a visa it's not!. A visa is something that requires giving your passport to an embassy. 

This is an electronic approval to visit the Schengen area. It's a copy of something the USA has required of countries in the visa waiver program for many many years. Canada has the same system as will UK when it can get it's act together ( probably never or after £2 bill overspend)

Calling it a visa is highly misleading. 

16 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Pure politics, US started this for EU tourists so EU responded for American tourists. This news story is years old, just finally going into effect. Thankfully I can travel both ways and not pay for any of it. 😁

It was brought in for all countries that take part in the visa waiver program not just Europe lots of others take part too. Normally it's countries the USA have good diplomatic relationships with and are thought of as safe 

USA  cbp run your name through all its databases before making a decision on an approval. It actually helps keep both aircraft and the USA safe and prevents people who would be denied entry getting on an aircraft in the first place...saving USA tax dollars with the mess that can create.

This is a good thing for everyone the cost is minimal and helps keep people and aircraft safe. 

• 2 months later...

Just announced yesterday the European Union EU will once again delay the launch of their European Travel Information and Authorization System ETIAS until at least mid-2025. 

In laymen's terms all that means is American's will NOT need a visa to travel to Europe in 2024.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/etias-europe-tourist-taxes-explained/index.html