The Dog House question

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

No chili cheese is not an option. But you can always get a dog and head over to the Windjammer and see if they have chili to add to your dog.

Allure had a lentil chili most days last week in WJ (may have been vegetarian/vegan). I've never tasted lentil chili, and didn't try that one, but I made note that it existed. There are also some cheese options in WJ - both pour cheese and slices. Also chunks, which I've never seen before on my cruises and seemed a little strange, like a cheese board. Didn't stop me from eating a few, however...

28 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

I like hotdogs.  I have found the Dog House to be disappointing.  Now, if I want a Hot Dog, I will get it from Wind Jammer.  They will be fresher, far less tough, and the bun will be fresher. 

The Doghouse has the worst undercooked hotdogs I have ever tasted. I have tried them on all the Oasis classes I have sailed (Harmony, Allure, and Oasis) and they all have been nasty. 

15 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Wow. That bad huh. Was gonna try first time on Wonder next month, but will stick to the jammer.

You might like them; I keep trying in hopes that one ship will have a good one and will probably get one on Wonder when I sail her in Jan.

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

You might like them; I keep trying in hopes that one ship will have a good one and will probably get one on Wonder when I sail her in Jan.

Was going by you and "Wayno". Sounds like a hit miss situation. Best part of a cruise is if I try and it stinks I can go to the WJ and try again. LOL.

42 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Was going by you and "Wayno". Sounds like a hit miss situation. Best part of a cruise is if I try and it stinks I can go to the WJ and try again. LOL.

In fairness...  Although I have never had a good hotdog at the Dog House,  their sausage dog however is far better.  I still had to throw the bun away, as it sat in the warmer way too long and was quite dried out.  I went quite a few cruises since I last visited the Dog House.  I also thought last month on Symphony I'd try it again.  Nothing had changed. 

A person might ask why I didn't ask for a fresh hotdog and/or bun.  Some of you might remember I had an ordeal even getting mustard from them, so I was just done.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have done the exact same thing on those same 3 Oasis-class ships, lol. They really are bad. Not sure if I'll bother trying Wonder in June but probably will.

28 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

yeah I have never had the "hot dog" I always get the brats or sausage and they have been great.

I can get hot dogs at home. When I am on a cruise I like to eat things I don't normally get at home.

Agreed, and I do try the non-hot dog options, they've just never been very good IMO.

We've had various experiences at the Dog House.  On Ovation in 2019, they were simply inedible.  On Symphony and Allure they were quite good (for hot dogs - Mr. SpeedNoodles loves them - I can take them or leave them).  I suspect it has a lot to do with whatever local vendor they secure to supply them.

• 9 months later...

I landed on this topic because I was really hoping for a Chicago dog (sailing HOTS 4/21/24), but alas I believe I will be sorely disappointed... A dedicated hot dog house with NO Chicago dog? Ahhh, the sport peppers, neon green chemical relish, poppyseed bun...? I'm guessing if the normal buns are suspect, there will be no "gourmet" buns.

On 4/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, CanHardlyWait said:

Wow. That bad huh. Was gonna try first time on Wonder next month, but will stick to the jammer.

Not bad at all considering they are free. IMHO the Doghouse is an excellent option for a quick and satisfying bite to eat (especially on boarding day). The location on the boardwalk is great! The Red Stripe is just icing on the cake. As for the chili dogs, head over to Johnny rockets. 

IMG_3742.jpeg