Current Covid Experience Allure Galveston

Hi all! 
Wanted to share our recent experience with Covid. 
My mom started feeling bad on day 4 and we called the nurse day 5 AM and they immediately came with a wheelchair to take her down. She got in right away and was given a Covid test. Positive. For the first time ever! They gave her an IV to get her hydrated and kept her for about 2 hours.
For the rest of the cruise she was quarantined to the room. My son and I weren’t required to quarantine which was unexpected and when asked if we could be tested, we were told they only test with symptoms. 
Disembarkation consisted of them sending us room service breakfast at 6:00 for a 6:30 debarkation. We were taken directly from where people exit for port days and there were only 4 other Covid groups with us though I know I heard a lot more coughing! Oh well. 
When we got home, my son and I tested positive as well. So… there’s a lot of Covid boppin around those ships. 
I have no complaints about how they handled it other than I think they should have tested us. They were all very nice, though!

9 hours ago, ranchlady403 said:

WOW!!   We are going to be on the Allure in 2 weeks. 

Now, I'm worried about a rampant covid outbreak....

What deck were you on?  

Yeah don't worry about that. COVID is beating treated much like a cold at this point. It's not spreading like wildfire or God forbid killing scores of people like it was before the vaccines. There are almost surely people unknowingly carrying COVID on every single cruise sailing. If you're sick and allow the medical staff to test you, of course they're going to make you stay in your room, but this mostly has to do with the stigma of COVID from the original outbreak and everything it did to the industry. 

I got off Wonder two weeks ago and got pretty sick when I got off (wasn't COVID, we tested). It might've been something I caught on the ship. Could've been from the plane. Couldn't been from somewhere else. People get sick. And certainly there's a chance that after a week on a boat with 5000 people you may catch something. But unless there's some freak outbreak of a flu-type virus, they're not locking down your cruise ship or anything. 

@jeffmw we got of Wonder March 19th, my son wasn't feeling well the last day and was definitely sick when we disembarked. He flew home but tested negative. My wife and I had a three day drive home, by day two I was sick and by day three my wife was, all tested negative, just a bad upper respiratory. I'm still not quite over it today. At least I have 39 days before my next cruise. I seem to come down with something about every third cruise, only once was it COVID and that was at the height of Omicron over a year ago.

13 hours ago, Hunny1104 said:

Hi all! 
My mom started feeling bad on day 4 and we called the nurse day 5 AM and they immediately came with a wheelchair to take her down. She got in right away and was given a Covid test. Positive. For the first time ever! They gave her an IV to get her hydrated and kept her for about 2 hours.
For the rest of the cruise she was quarantined to the room. My son and I weren’t required to quarantine which was unexpected and when asked if we could be tested, we were told they only test with symptoms. 
Disembarkation consisted of them sending us room service breakfast at 6:00 for a 6:30 debarkation. We were taken directly from where people exit for port days and there were only 4 other Covid groups with us though I know I heard a lot more coughing! Oh well. 
When we got home, my son and I tested positive as well. So… there’s a lot of Covid boppin around those ships. 
I have no complaints about how they handled it other than I think they should have tested us. They were all very nice, though!

Appears it's now normalized.  Glad it all worked well.

14 hours ago, Hunny1104 said:

Hi all! 

Thanks for the report.  This is why we mask on elevators and tourist buses.  Despite that, one of us got sick at the end of 2 out of 3 trips last year.  December 22 was the best - no one in a group of four became ill, but it was the shortest (5 nights).  What I like about Royal's response in your situation is that they were helpful without being overly  dramatic.  We always take our own kits so we can test ourselves when we travel, even for land trips.

On our March 5 family Wonder cruise...Three of our daughters in laws tested positive for Covid after they got home.  Strange thing was nobody else caught it even after riding 6 people in one vehicle (1 person tested positive) and 4 in another in a vehicle (Two tested positive) for 5 hours home with them.  We told them they must have caught the new female only version...Lol

On our last cruise we both got Covid and it definitely was contracted on the ship. Given that we did 4 cruises with the pretesting and protocols in place and didn't have an issue I do believe that Covid is a very real possibility going forward. I also noticed that the cleaning, and other measures, that was being done after the return to sailing was not being done at even close to the same level as before.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:34 AM, smokeybandit said:

The ship doc giving an IV for covid seems pretty strange though, unless there were other issues presenting themselves.

OP says she was feeling bad. That could mean vomiting. An IV for dehydration would not be out of place at all. Hospitals fill in flu season with those needing IV for dehydration for several hours before being sent home. I worked in an ER. People with flu like symptoms can get dehydrated easily. Too sick to go home without IV first, yet not sick enough to be admitted. We filled the halls with people on IVs for dehydration very quick. It takes very very little for a hospital to become slammed and overwhelmed. 

I’m glad to see it’s being normalized. We’ve had every sickness of the ship, from the flu to noro. We always do the same thing, quarantine until the symptoms are 24 hours gone. We never report it and wouldn’t report COVID unless (as the OP pasted) it were bad enough to see a doctor on board. We don’t bring tests, we don’t even think of it anymore.