What do you guys do between cruises?

D Alt

On 12/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@D AltI too am pretty much an introvert. 

Count me among the introvert crew. It's right there in my official Meyers-Briggs result -- INTJ.

I'm mostly fine being in the house with the pets and family, but I do like to get out and socialize every so often for conversation and laughs. Since it's still hard to do that latter part in-person, I've joined a weekly D&D campaign on Roll20 and that's totally satisfying the Social needs bar of this particular Sim. I'm the oldest by about, umm... 20 or 25 years. 😅 But the other folks don't care, they're just happy that I'm a good role player and party member.

On the cruise ships, though, one of my favorite things is going to lunch in the MDR and asking to be seated at a random 10-top so I can meet a bunch of random people and have an hour of fun conversation, learn about people's hometowns / countries, and compare cruising histories.

I dunno, maybe I'm more of an "extroverted introvert"?

@JLMoran First, I read that an introverted extrovert is a thing. Second, I used to D&D but like 20 years ago when only "nerds/losers" did it. I am thinking about getting back into it since they have so many online groups.

I like meeting people on cruises but only when I want to. I hate being forced into sitting with people. I always feel judge lmfao.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@JLMoran First, I read that an introverted extrovert is a thing. Second, I used to D&D but like 20 years ago when only "nerds/losers" did it. I am thinking about getting back into it since they have so many online groups.

I like meeting people on cruises but only when I want to. I hate being forced into sitting with people. I always feel judge lmfao.

I think some couples "feel sorry" for solo cruisers and invite us to sit with them. Sure sometimes, but sometimes I just want to be by myself. 

1 hour ago, D Alt said:

I think some couples "feel sorry" for solo cruisers and invite us to sit with them. Sure sometimes, but sometimes I just want to be by myself. 

Ugh exactly. 

My first solo cruise this family tried to force me into their plans. Their cabin was across the hall, and they made a joke the first day about being lucky to have a balcony room all to myself. Every morning they would knock on the door and tell me what they were planning to do, and I could join them. I felt awkward trying to explain why I didn't want to join or what my plans were. Of course, this was almost a decade ago when it was very weird to be alone.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:46 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I used to D&D but like 20 years ago when only "nerds/losers" did it.

I'm an OG D&D player, from the "Blue Box" days of the basic game and first edition Advanced rules. Late 70s / early 80s. When only the hard-core nerds and losers played, and it was determined by some to be covertly Satanic in nature. Not helped by the movie Mazes & Monsters, with a very young Tom Hanks.

19 hours ago, D Alt said:

Hey Brian, your next cruise is on Anthem out of Bayonne, right?  Are you parking in the cruise lot or another cheaper lot maybe? 

I always park in the lot.  It's not cheap, but also not ridiculous.  The biggest factor is that the convenience is absolutely worth it.

19 hours ago, D Alt said:

P.S. how weird we have the same Alt in our username. LOL

Our last names perhaps?  Part of mine at least.

@Ampurp85& @JLMoran - another big D&D player from back in the day.

4 hours ago, BrianAlt said:

I always park in the lot.  It's not cheap, but also not ridiculous.  The biggest factor is that the convenience is absolutely worth it.

Our last names perhaps?  Part of mine at least.

@Ampurp85& @JLMoran - another big D&D player from back in the day.

yes first 3 letters of my last name. 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, JLMoran said:

I've joined a weekly D&D campaign on Roll20 and that's totally satisfying the Social needs bar of this particular Sim. I'm the oldest by about, umm... 20 or 25 years

I just got home Monday night from Enforcing at Pax Unplugged......I'm about to be 52...it was my 11th Pax  👀

• 2 weeks later...

I am a major geek but also had almost no friends so never got into D&D or anything like it really.  Then around high school we moved to a place where the closest town was maybe a mile and didn't have a gas station so you can imagine how that went being a major geek.  Later on did get into some of the trading card games but usually more of a PC gamer and even then it's a little limited.  I like to goof with some FPS's but tend to end up in building style games a lot and was actually doing some video creation as well but the place I am at is lucky to get 1Mbps upload so that is pretty well dead for now.  I was trying to upload 1440P with 60FPS so it would take about 12 hours where I am at now and even my dive video's are a pain to upload but they are much less often.  

I have been told I need to go down to city hall and talk with the mayor about the tech stuff so I guess I need to deal with that soon and who knows maybe they will build out their own fiber network or something.  I actually ran 4 ethernet, 4 coax, and 2 OM3 Multimode LC to LC cables plus power to the place I want to use as a demarcation point for all of my datacomm stuff so if fiber comes in I am all set.

Got to a stopping point on the roof yesterday as we had wind and rain in the forecast with cold and snow possible Saturday so I opted to go get my covid booster today and feel kinda cruddy.  Not as bad as the second one but still sore and tired with my arm feeling like Tyson just slugged me cause I smarted off about something, thankfully didn't chew off my ear.

Oh and my father is bugging me about his server he is trying to copy a file over from his desktop and it won't work which sounds like a permission error but could just be him.  And he wants to update the jails running Plex and Syncthing plus he just swapped out a failing drive the other day but thankfully on his own as I was doing another section of roof.  Have one more to go but it's going to be a little bigger than the last one.  Hopefully have good weather again after the 4th.