Australia/NZ Cruising News

38 minutes ago, KWofPerth said:

Would the government have been consulting with Royal about this? No point building such a facility unless the cruiselines intended to utilise it for their biggest ships, right?

It’s really a crazy idea because Eden is a tiny,tiny little town .

At the moment they won’t dock Quantum class there ,technically it can dock Quantum but RC will tender anything bigger than voyager or solstice.

Gavin Smith said in 2019 before Covid there was a 10 year plan (probably more like 20 years now) to bring an Oasis to Australia. Back then he said they were interested in the new port in Brisbane, but needed other ports to get on board. Once Lelepa is running and more ports like Eden are capable of hosting large ships who knows what that might bring!

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

Gavin Smith said in 2019 before Covid there was a 10 year plan (probably more like 20 years now) to bring an Oasis to Australia. Back then he said they were interested in the new port in Brisbane, but needed other ports to get on board. Once Lelepa is running and more ports like Eden are capable of hosting large ships who knows what that might bring!

I think I will go on a different tangent.

BIG GAV said they can’t access some NSW ports in the coming season

and if the islands aren’t open Australia isn’t viable.

I think the problem is that Eden has a cap on cruise ships at 60 a year. 
‘From what I can see the cap has already been reached and if the islands aren’t open there is not enough ports for Quantam and ovation to operate .

I think the pressure is on N.S.W. to lift the cap so the big ships have a extra port to operate, to make the coming season viable.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/plans-oasis-class-ships-visit-eden-australias-sapphire-coast

15 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think I will go on a different tangent.

BIG GAV said they can’t access some NSW ports in the coming season

and if the islands aren’t open Australia isn’t viable.

I think the problem is that Eden has a cap on cruise ships at 60 a year. 
‘From what I can see the cap has already been reached and if the islands aren’t open there is not enough ports for Quantam and ovation to operate .

I think the pressure is on N.S.W. to lift the cap so the big ships have a extra port to operate, to make the coming season viable.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/plans-oasis-class-ships-visit-eden-australias-sapphire-coast

I do wonder where my 9 night South Pacific will be going if it can't go to the South Pacific.

Port changes or cancelled and split into short cruises to nowhere / Eden / etc.. ?

There was also some positive news from Chris Hipkins (our Covid minister) who has said he expects cruise ships to be welcomed back by October. Apparently they will be defining the protocols within the next few weeks.

Maybe I can get excited for our Ovation cruise to NZ in October now.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, F1guynz said:

There was also some positive news from Chris Hipkins (our Covid minister) who has said he expects cruise ships to be welcomed back by October. Apparently they will be defining the protocols within the next few weeks.

I would suspect it'll be the same rules as any other tourist who enters the country in that they have to be fully vacinated. I wouldn't be surprise to see the cruise lines also add testing at depature (Govt may alos add this but I suspect the cruise lines will anyway if the rest of the world is anything to go off).

The interesting bit will be do they treat a cruise ship like any othe bit of transport (i.e must wear a mask) or like a entertainment venue such as a resturant/bar (Don't have to wear a mask). 

Of course there is a lot of water to go under the keel before October so I imagine things will change multiple times before then.

10 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

The interesting bit will be do they treat a cruise ship like any othe bit of transport (i.e must wear a mask) or like a entertainment venue such as a resturant/bar (Don't have to wear a mask).

I don't think this will be a requirement as it is not part of the Australian protocols as 95% of passengers will need to be vaccinated. It would be a bit odd that while leaving Australia you wouldn't wear a mask and then at some point you would need to put one on to satisfy NZ requirements.

I think in practice if this was the case then a lot of Australian's would not come to NZ on a cruise. Also once they were here doing shore tours there are a lot of places were a mask is not required (bars, cafes, outdoors etc.) so it just wouldn't make sense (not that that stops politicians passing unworkable laws).

1 hour ago, twangster said:

At least it isn't Carnival.

Are they overdoing the Funderstruck marketing in Oz?  I'm so tired of it here in the US.

I think it’s one peg below carnival but at least I will appreciate RC.

It’s starting to look like the islands may be turning the corner on Covid.

Vanuatu has just come out of a 2 months lockdown and is letting citizens return. They haven’t put a time on it but they are working on allowing tourists back.

If so , it’s good news for ovation and especially Quantum as it does most of this season to the islands from Brisbane.

https://www.dailypost.vu/news/curfew-lifted/article_36153ed6-ef18-5a70-a840-9556ec591bbe.html

5 hours ago, Chili said:

How low can a human being go ? Almost 3 years away from RC .

Im booked on P&O Australia Pacific Explorer, on the 7th June.

It is a suite and it’s free but the humiliation.

I looked into cruising Pacific Explorer from Freo to Exmouth for the solar eclipse in April 2023.  It's a five-nighter and you don't get off the ship, but you'd be anchored off Exmouth for the eclipse.

It seemed like a good idea but then I Youtubed the Pacific Explorer. I was put off completely. I'm literally trying to arrange accommodation in the caravan park instead, LOL.

20 minutes ago, KWofPerth said:

I looked into cruising Pacific Explorer from Freo to Exmouth for the solar eclipse in April 2023.  It's a five-nighter and you don't get off the ship, but you'd be anchored off Exmouth for the eclipse.

It seemed like a good idea but then I Youtubed the Pacific Explorer. I was put off completely. I'm literally trying to arrange accommodation in the caravan park instead, LOL.

I saw it in Sydney on Tuesday, I don’t have big tastes in life but it looked pretty sad.
All the glass had rust stains that it looked like it was hard to see through because of the rust.  Just a old sad ship, a carnival ship.

Hopefully they will clean it up a bit before it goes to work.

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

Interesting Virgin

I am curious to try the ship. Read so much positive and negative reports about the ship and its offerings. It is a good sign of confidence in the Australian cruising market and may attract new cruisers. I hope that with the added competition, it may drive prices down and possibly change Royals offering, offering more inclusions such as wifi and maybe even drinks.   

13 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

I am curious to try the ship. Read so much positive and negative reports about the ship and its offerings. It is a good sign of confidence in the Australian cruising market and may attract new cruisers. I hope that with the added competition, it may drive prices down and possibly change Royals offering, offering more inclusions such as wifi and maybe even drinks.   

I booked the 2 nighter to Tasmania just to test it out.